Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 Dragon #334
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2005 :  21:54:43  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I just got this and I am really excited about this issue. While I have felt that the overall quality of the magazine has been going up lately, the Realms relics in the last issue didn't do much for me.

I am thrilled by Ed's Crimmor treatment, of course, but since one of my player's character is rather . . . enamored of alchohol, there is another article that is of immediate interest to me, and I can picture several of the Arabian monsters in Calimshan (anyone else pretty sure there are winged monkeys in Calimshan?).

All of that, and Elaine's presense in the next issue is really making it hard to wait a whole month to see that issue as well, not to mention the interview with Ed.

(And the only thing ticking me off is the people on the Paizo boards now complaining that there is going to be TOO MUCH Realms stuff in the magazine . . . yes they have already started . . . )

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2005 :  01:07:21  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

(And the only thing ticking me off is the people on the Paizo boards now complaining that there is going to be TOO MUCH Realms stuff in the magazine . . . yes they have already started . . . )

So I take it the Greyhawk nazi's have already started whining..

I cant wait until Eric hits them with his triple Realms whammy in the next 3 Dungeons magazine.

Greyhawk nazi's are going to be screaming like stuck pigs

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2005 :  02:15:54  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really liked Dragon #333. I thought the relics of the Realms were very cool, and am thinking of ways to drop them into my campaign.

I thought the ecology of the Behir was very interesting and engaging.

While my favorite of all was the treatment of Fraz-urb'luu and his layer of the Abyss. I thought this article was outstanding! And I hope they will include more demonomicon articles in future Dragons.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2005 :  03:48:01  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually Dargoth, its more the "We're too hip for any setting" and the Eberron guys that are complaining. But I don't want to over generalize. Heck, sometimes I can sympathize far more with the old Greyhawk veterans than some of the "only a homebrew with tons of 3rd party d20 stuff" crowd. Not that I don't like some d20 products . . .
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2005 :  04:27:08  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Actually Dargoth, its more the "We're too hip for any setting" and the Eberron guys that are complaining. But I don't want to over generalize. Heck, sometimes I can sympathize far more with the old Greyhawk veterans than some of the "only a homebrew with tons of 3rd party d20 stuff" crowd. Not that I don't like some d20 products . . .

All I can say is im glad Eric Mona, James Jacob and Jason Bulmahn are getting in there defending the FR conten.

I was this close to getting a Pazio board account for the sole purpose of pointing out that there was no FR material between issues 321 and 333

This little Gem made me laugh

quote:

Ricky Hunt on the Pazio board

"While it is possible for FR DMs to use generic material, it is next to impossible for non FR GMs to use"

Apparently we FR DMs are a better class of Gamers than the homebrewers

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks

Edited by - Dargoth on 14 Jul 2005 04:35:05
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2005 :  04:57:50  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric Mona over at Enworld said Pazio will be publishing a revised map of Crimmor up on the website as the published map doesnt include all the numbered sites

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2005 :  05:19:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Eric Mona over at Enworld said Pazio will be publishing a revised map of Crimmor up on the website as the published map doesnt include all the numbered sites

When that is posted, can some kind person put a link here? Not all of us frequent that site, and I'm sure many scribes will want this map...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2005 :  16:36:37  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
So I take it the Greyhawk nazi's have already started whining..

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2005 :  04:55:04  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Goodness gracious me . . . I am going to have to go to confession for sure this week. Between one poster referring to Ed as having "diarrea of the word processor" and another saying that it was overkill and "the truth hurts, just deal with it," I lost it. Must take deep breath and breathe in the nice, sane corridors of my beloved Candlekeep.

Why do I continue to subject myself to the Paizo boards? Becuase I really do want the editors to get serious feedback from a FR fan who is a subscriber . . . but why are there so many . . . orc begotten, brain damaged, elitist, psuedo intellectuals out there? WHY?

Ah yes . . . a nice cup of mulled halfling cider . . . that's what I need . . .
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2005 :  05:25:21  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Goodness gracious me . . . I am going to have to go to confession for sure this week. Between one poster referring to Ed as having "diarrea of the word processor" and another saying that it was overkill and "the truth hurts, just deal with it," I lost it. Must take deep breath and breathe in the nice, sane corridors of my beloved Candlekeep.

Why do I continue to subject myself to the Paizo boards? Becuase I really do want the editors to get serious feedback from a FR fan who is a subscriber . . . but why are there so many . . . orc begotten, brain damaged, elitist, psuedo intellectuals out there? WHY?

Ah yes . . . a nice cup of mulled halfling cider . . . that's what I need . . .

A belt of Scotch might be more apporiate

Dont worry Ive been having a go at the Anti realms nazis over at enworld

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Jindael
Senior Scribe

USA
357 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2005 :  13:09:56  Show Profile  Visit Jindael's Homepage Send Jindael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

All I can say is im glad Eric Mona, James Jacob and Jason Bulmahn are getting in there defending the FR conten.

I was this close to getting a Pazio board account for the sole purpose of pointing out that there was no FR material between issues 321 and 333

This little Gem made me laugh

quote:

Ricky Hunt on the Pazio board

"While it is possible for FR DMs to use generic material, it is next to impossible for non FR GMs to use"

Apparently we FR DMs are a better class of Gamers than the homebrewers

I guess we are, considering that I homebrewed for more than a decade (and to some extents, still do), and used tons of FR stuff with almost no problems at all.

"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
-- C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

Keravin
Seeker

50 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2005 :  13:13:08  Show Profile  Visit Keravin's Homepage Send Keravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hadn't intended picking up the issue based on the front cover until I saw the Cities headline. It's not generic stuff that gets me buying either Dragon or Dungeon - it's proper FR and Eberron stuff. Sure I can convert (and running a Planescape game I am more than willing to) but rather than convert from Greyhawk I want to have articles written embracing the history and culture of the worlds I've supported all these years.

Next issue is a definite buy because it's FR-tastic.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2005 :  17:47:40  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

As I've said before, visiting many other Internet message boards will make one appreciate Candlekeep even more so.

quote:

Given some of the quotes you have mentioned from anti-FR posters, I wonder how any of them can think any Paizo staff member will seriously give their comments any merit. Mayhaps I'm strange, but I like to see a poster use civil language before I give their opinions any serious consideration.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2005 :  18:41:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

Mayhaps I'm strange,

You are.

quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

but I like to see a poster use civil language before I give their opinions any serious consideration.

This is a really good point. It's hard to take someone seriously when they're blatantly and needlessly rude. Ditto for those whose posts are full of "FR sux Grayhawk is t3h kewlest!!!11"

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2005 :  00:45:52  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Waiting until they find out that theres going to be 3 FR modules in issues 126, 127 and 128

Poor Erik Mona will have them moaning in Stereo

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks

Edited by - Dargoth on 17 Jul 2005 14:04:42
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2005 :  13:23:28  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Wait ing until they find out that theres going to 3 FR modules in issues 126, 127 and 128

Poor Erik Mona will have them moaning in Stereo

But Surround Sound is better, we need to get poor Erik to try harder.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2005 :  18:14:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For those who, like myself, haven't found this issue yet, WotC decided to put a blurb on their website about it.

quote:
What can you look forward to in next month's Dragon Magazine? Here's a listing of what you'll find in the August issue – including the return of Elaith Craulnober!

New Olamn Bard College
by Elaine Cunningham
Waterdeep’s new bard college takes center stage with an in-depth look at its members, supporters, and more. Learn the secrets of Khelben “Blackstaff” Arunsun’s organization, the Moonstars, who seek to protect the people of Faerűn from hidden dangers. Gain contacts within the knowledgeable academy to find out what adventure awaits at the end of every tune.

Interview with Ed Greenwood
by Jeffrey E. Thetford
Master of the Forgotten Realms, Ed Greenwood, talks about the writing business, his home campaign, and the city of Waterdeep. Finally, Ed answers the eternal question, “Are you Elminster?”

Game of Chance
by Elaine Cunningham
Elaith Craulnober returns! The sinister moon elf discovers a means to make use of the dormant moonblade in his possession, but does he dare violate the traditions he holds so dear?

Plus!
The Ecology of the Lizardfolk, Bard Spells of Waterdeep, and of course, Class Acts, Bazaar of the Bizarre, First Watch, Novel Approach, Scale Mail, Sage Advice, Wormfood, and comics.

I've got to run by my parents' house today; I'll be stopping to try to buy this while en route.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 23 Jul 2005 18:16:01
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2005 :  18:45:05  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
I've got to run by my parents' house today; I'll be stopping to try to buy this while en route.

Doubt it's on the news stands yet. I just managed to get #334 this week on the news stands and the one that has that lore on the wotc site is #335.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2005 :  21:44:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:

Doubt it's on the news stands yet. I just managed to get #334 this week on the news stands and the one that has that lore on the wotc site is #335.

Now that's deceptive... It clearly says that that stuff is in the August issue. And 333, the last one I bought, is the July issue...

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 23 Jul 2005 21:45:22
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2005 :  21:56:15  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Now that's deceptive... It clearly says that that stuff is in the August issue. And 333, the last one I bought, is the July issue...

WOTC is wrong, that should be for Septembers issue because #334 shows the advertisement for the issue on that site as being next months and issue #334 is for august.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2005 :  20:09:09  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm considering purchacing only because of the story about Elaith.I've been pining to get more of his story for a while now.So I'll take what I can get.Did I see that Eberron guys are complaing about too much Realmsian lore is inn Dragon???Is that true???Didn't Eberron just come out like 3 month ago????

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000