Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Realms Events
 Current Date
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Senbar Flay
Learned Scribe

185 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2005 :  08:31:38  Show Profile  Visit Senbar Flay's Homepage Send Senbar Flay a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello as you might have guessed form the title i amn looking for the current date in the realms right now. Being behind on my realmlore at the moment. And if you wouldn't mind could you give a point form of any major events that happened in each year from 1372 DR to the current date.

Thanks

Imagination is more important than knowledge for knowledge is limited imagination encircles the world.- Albert Einstein

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2005 :  09:18:07  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well i'm also confused by this. With the Year of Rogue Dragons going on, I was surprised to see the year after that appear in Maiden of Pain. My belief is that for every 3 of our years, 1 year of the Realms passes by. It seems to have speeded up somewhat. We'll soon be at the Year of Risen Elfkin....which really excites me

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2005 :  11:43:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Senbar Flay

Hello as you might have guessed form the title i amn looking for the current date in the realms right now. Being behind on my realmlore at the moment. And if you wouldn't mind could you give a point form of any major events that happened in each year from 1372 DR to the current date.

Thanks

Tuesday.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2005 :  12:56:41  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hello as you might have guessed form the title i amn looking for the current date in the realms right now.
Thanks

It all depends on what Realms gaming product/novel you are reading at the moment. As Lord Rad pointed out there are events taking place in different years depending upon what you are reading.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2005 :  14:23:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And if you wouldn't mind could you give a point form of any major events that happened in each year from 1372 DR to the current date.

Download the 'A Grand History of the Realms' PDF here:- http://www.geonomicon.com/chronology/A%20Grand%20History%20of%20the%20Realms.pdf

Page 86 provides a complete timeline for the events of 1372 DR till the early months of the current year of 1374 DR.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2005 :  17:58:15  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's 1374 in canon material because you use the date that is latest date in novels or sourcebooks. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2005 :  12:07:12  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

It's 1374 in canon material because you use the date that is latest date in novels or sourcebooks. :)

Says who?
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2005 :  15:51:27  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:

Says who?

Bah,

Don't be a pest!

And says the current sourcebooks and novels. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2005 :  13:13:18  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Okay, as long as we aren't talking about comic books or video games here. Everyone knows those items can't be trusted.

Edited by - SiriusBlack on 10 Jul 2005 13:13:32
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2005 :  17:10:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Okay, as long as we aren't talking about comic books or video games here. Everyone knows those items can't be trusted.

Ahem. Don't make me bust out my reasons the DC/TSR comics are canon again...

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2005 :  17:12:46  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:

Agrees with Wooly, comic books are canon. :)

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2005 :  12:31:04  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

They are?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2005 :  17:29:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

They are?

They've never officially been declared canon, but references from the comics have shown up in many 2E supplements (even a Planescape one), on the website, in the anthologies, in Dragon magazine, and now in 3.5E. The most notable one is that Kyriani, a character from the comics, is now officially listed in City of Splendors: Waterdeep as a Lord of Waterdeep. Shining South also contained references to the comics.

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2005 :  18:29:32  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The null assumption is that stuff published for the Realms is in-continuity for the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2005 :  19:09:40  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess it makes perfect sense to me that while video games, which can have variable outcomes and characters involved, are not cannon, comic books, which are in essentially just stories with pictures, should be considered more or less just like novels, since they are published stories.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000