Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Who is your favourite Forgotten Realms author???
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ode904
Learned Scribe

Finland
193 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2005 :  22:26:27  Show Profile Send ode904 a Private Message  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
So what's your favourite writer?

Choices:

R.A Salavatore
Elaine Cunningham
Ed Greenwood
Richard Baker
Philip Athans
Clayton Emery
Richard Lee Byers
Scott Ciencin
Troy Denning

(Anonymous Vote)

ode904
Learned Scribe

Finland
193 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2005 :  22:29:47  Show Profile Send ode904 a Private Message
My vote goes to Elaine Cunningham, shes my favourite.
She writes very good text. It's clever and she uses many words and plays with them like toys
Go to Top of Page

Snotlord
Senior Scribe

Norway
476 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2005 :  22:33:35  Show Profile  Visit Snotlord's Homepage Send Snotlord a Private Message
I have enjoyed more FR books than I thought I would a couples of years ago (I was a snob). There are several fine writers among the FR writers. Still, this one is easy: Richard Baker.

Edit: As it happens, the Rage was my favorite 2004 FR book, so this was a close one.

Edited by - Snotlord on 02 Jul 2005 07:41:32
Go to Top of Page

Sandhrune
Acolyte

35 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2005 :  23:16:30  Show Profile  Visit Sandhrune's Homepage Send Sandhrune a Private Message
Ed Greenwood. He created the realms and I think that his novels have a more real feel to them.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2005 :  23:23:53  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
I can't vote on this because some of my fav's aren't listed and I like at least 10 or more FR authors. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2005 :  23:56:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

I can't vote on this because some of my fav's aren't listed and I like at least 10 or more FR authors. :)

Ditto. My fave is the writing duo of Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2005 :  01:10:09  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message
Well, for me, actually I favor some of the authors, first of my list of favorite authors is Troy Denning whom seemed to write some of the RSE's very well. Next is Ed Greenwood, and followed by Elaine Cunningham for I enjoyed reading her written books and read her works many times.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.

Edited by - Shadovar on 02 Jul 2005 01:11:41
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2005 :  01:37:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Although I hold a special place in my heart and mind for nearly every author of an FR novel, Ed Greenwood is my overall favorite. That is, followed exceptionally closely by Elaine Cunningham.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 02 Jul 2005 01:38:25
Go to Top of Page

TheBard
Acolyte

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2005 :  08:49:51  Show Profile  Visit TheBard's Homepage Send TheBard a Private Message
I'd have to say Salvatore because the Crystal Shard remains my favorite Realms book. Though Richard Baker, Richard Lee Byers, Douglas Niles, of course Ed Greenwood, and Paul S. Kemp all get an honorable mention is my mind.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2005 :  12:48:31  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
Elaine Cunningham. I've enjoyed her tales the most. Who's this Salvatore fellow you have listed? I thought he just wrote for the Star Wars universe.
Go to Top of Page

Enialus Meliamne
Acolyte

Portugal
43 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2005 :  13:48:44  Show Profile  Visit Enialus Meliamne's Homepage Send Enialus Meliamne a Private Message
RA Salvatore. Cadderly is my favorite character, so it fits. Though I have to admit, most of the Realms books I've read, I've liked, so RA is only my favorite because of Cadderly (Drizzt isn't bad either :-))

Unashamed RAS fan.

Unashamed fan of THE Drow Elf Ranger.

Reader of any author in FR who entertains or weaves a good yarn.
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2005 :  15:10:00  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
Elaine Cunningham, while there certainly are other authors (Greenwood, Kemp, Smedman, Grubb & Novak-Grubb to name but a few) who put the lie to those frowning upon shared world fantasy with the skill of their writing, Elaine is a class of her own among those writing books set in Faerūn.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Kajehase on 02 Jul 2005 15:10:23
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2005 :  16:18:29  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message
Well met

Hmmmmm, i've decided to lock this topic due to there not being a fairer and more accurate representation of all authors of the Realms.

No offence intended.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked