Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 favourite cahracter
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2005 :  15:15:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Neo2151

Hm, well, I hate to feel as if I'm copying Wooly

And just what's wrong with copying me?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2005 :  15:29:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Everything! One Master of Mischief is more than enough... Thank you .

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2005 :  17:21:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

quote:

Everything! One Master of Mischief is more than enough... Thank you .

Good answer!

Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2005 :  20:13:22  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I adviced a couple of days ago I must change my choice. I must vote for Danilo Thann, simply attractive. I recognize that I was curious to read a Cunningham's book specially after the good critics that she has received here. I am very pleased of the deep that the chars have in their books, the cover identity of Danilo, (I am a little identified with him, tearing apart my modesty ) acting as a fool is hilarious, the way he masks his skills. So my vote goes to Danilo. Which makes Giogioni Wyvernspur reach a praiseworthy second place (sorry Wooly, is not a betrayal, is an opening of my sight )

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est

Edited by - Thelonius on 16 Jul 2005 20:15:30
Go to Top of Page

Lina
Senior Scribe

Australia
469 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2005 :  04:56:33  Show Profile  Visit Lina's Homepage Send Lina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I gave my vote to Liriel, but she's is not my favorite character. With an unending list of characters, new and old, the task of choosing one's favourite has become increasingly difficult. Especially for me, since it changes whenever I pick up a new release.

“Darkness beyond twilight, crimson beyond blood that flows! Buried in the flow of time. In thy great name. I pledge myself to darkness. All the fools who stand in our way shall be destroyed…by the power you and I possess! DRAGON SLAVE!!!”

"Thieves? Ah, such an ugly word... look upon them as the most honest sort of merchant."
-Oglar the Thieflord
Go to Top of Page

Keldren
Acolyte

Austria
18 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2005 :  10:15:18  Show Profile  Visit Keldren's Homepage Send Keldren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I absolutly dig Jack Rivenwild from City of Ravensbluff. Never read such a funny FR book before... extremely hilarious.

Drasek Riven is also a favorite. He sure got an attitude. Jarlaxle and Pharaun Mizzrym also on the top.

"No sane human would try to wash ink beats with ink, or oil beads with oil. Only blood shall always be washed with blood"
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2005 :  14:48:01  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CrennenFaerieBane

quote:
Originally posted by Jindael

quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Khelbun has been my favorite character for as long as Waterdeep has been my favorite region in the Realms. Which is from the time I first bought FR1 Waterdeep and the North, which was as soon as it showed up in my local Waldenbooks WAAAAAAAAY back.

There is something that I like about Khelbun's control freak character. Perhaps its the same reason that I love Batman, the idea that the character really wants to do what is right, but is so absolutely convinced that they know better than everyone else that they have a tendancy to really get under everyone's skin.

Ha! Interestingly enough, that's the exact same reason that Khelbun annoys me! Small world. ^_^ He's a good character and all, and I enjoy reading about him, but I wouldn't invite him to go bowling or something.

I think he needs to get more control freak-y. And what would do that? Why, having his wife decide to leave him.

Yeah, Laeral would do much better as a wild and swinging free woman! Hearts would sing all over the City of Splendors if they new the Lady Mage of Waterdeep were single. :) Ok, so they might not have a shot at all for her, but hey, it would piss Khelben off, which would flip his character out. :)

C-Fb

P.s. - Shadovar, I meant Vaasan, just was at work with no chance to check out the novel. It still made me angry though.

Khelben as Batman/"darker hero" to Elminster as Superman/approachable "lighter hero" is one parallel I've always had in mind since 1990 when I first got the chance to work with Khelben (and Ed).

As for Laeral leaving Khelben, she's all that keeps him sane. And give them SOME time together; they've only been a couple for a little more than two decades now, and it's taken them 500-odd years to consummate "a love so powerful as to make the stars weep," as stated by a bard in the notable "Ballad of the Weeping Queen at the foot of the Griffon Throne." And yes, that's a hint of some of what's in a certain novel to come....

Steven Schend
Who admits horrible bias but wants to pump up the Khelben votes herein.

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2005 :  01:48:59  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ever since I first picked up Elfsong I've very much enjoyed Danilo, he's a very well fleshed out character and my favourite. I also have a particular soft spot for Sylun.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2005 :  02:17:27  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Steven, I am shocked and amazed to find that you think in patterns even remotely like mine, but even after having learned that, I still have a great deal of respect for you.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  04:31:38  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Danilo has a way of soothing my emotions when I read about him.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

darkwalk
Acolyte

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2005 :  01:17:46  Show Profile  Visit darkwalk's Homepage Send darkwalk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I go with Jarlaxle but am disappointed that Artemis Entreri is not in the list.

----- I grant you your soul, but not your life. Be happy that I have found a measure of mercy. -----
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2005 :  10:52:58  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by darkwalk

I go with Jarlaxle but am disappointed that Artemis Entreri is not in the list.

THis one is VERY VERY difficult.

I Might say for now for some reason I REALLY like Fzoul.

I especially liked how when he was Cyric's servant, he made it clear Cyric was LUCKY to have him, and actually threatened to leave his service. I think he is by far the best priest of the realms anyway.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

Gromph Baenre
Acolyte

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2005 :  03:28:25  Show Profile  Visit Gromph Baenre's Homepage Send Gromph Baenre a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gromph Baenre. I'm surprised no one's written a novel dedicated to the guy. He's the Archmage of Menzoberranzan. The story behind that has to be interesting. I love the subtle brilliance, the controlled anger, and the vague cruelty of him.

Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life-Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2005 :  04:19:48  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gromph Baenre

Gromph Baenre. I'm surprised no one's written a novel dedicated to the guy. He's the Archmage of Menzoberranzan. The story behind that has to be interesting. I love the subtle brilliance, the controlled anger, and the vague cruelty of him.

I agree a novel of him would be welcomed. Though that dragged on mage battle with the lich drow was like a NOVELETTE about him.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

Gromph Baenre
Acolyte

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2005 :  01:13:18  Show Profile  Visit Gromph Baenre's Homepage Send Gromph Baenre a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wasn't it great?

Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life-Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Gromph Baenre on 26 Aug 2005 01:14:05
Go to Top of Page

The Twin Scimitars
Seeker

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2005 :  01:58:26  Show Profile  Visit The Twin Scimitars's Homepage Send The Twin Scimitars a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm thinking of writing FR novels and writing about drow and such.

Endure, in enduring we grow strong.
-Dak'kon, Planescape Torment

Edited by - The Sage on 26 Aug 2005 02:08:45
Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2005 :  10:27:07  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Twin Scimitars

I'm thinking of writing FR novels and writing about drow and such.

Lol. Have you ever been to Fanfiction.net? More than half the fanfics listed on the first page have to do with drow.
Go to Top of Page

Gromph Baenre
Acolyte

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2005 :  18:38:34  Show Profile  Visit Gromph Baenre's Homepage Send Gromph Baenre a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*shudders* Drizzt/Entreri slash... pages and pages of it!

Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2005 :  19:18:23  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rofl. I found one fanfic where, apparently, every character spends their whole day and night bedding each other. Jarlaxle and a random elven priest. Jarlaxle and Catti-brie. Catti-brie and Drizzt. Drizzt and Innovindil. Catti-brie and Innovindil. (So not making this up. I wish I were.) I didn't read all of it, but I suspect Artemis would come in and get pounced on by someone eventually.

But it's not just that; it's the abundance of fanfics dealing with drow protagonist, many of which are renegades who desert their people in favor of shiny morals and the surface world. Sounds familiar? =p

Seriously, it's getting to the point that I refuse to touch any fanfic with drow in it. Ugh.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2005 :  23:36:55  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Slash permutations seem to me rather the same thing as the 'X vs Y' who-would-win-a-fight? discussions.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2005 :  23:49:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've also seen (but not read) Drizzt and Artemis, and Drizzt and Jarlaxle pairings, as well as Cattie-Brie and anyone else who has ever been mentioned...

But all that's kinda scary, and we are swerving off topic. Perhaps we should return to discussing our favorite Realms characters.

Go to Top of Page

Darth_Azalin
Acolyte

26 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2005 :  02:50:41  Show Profile  Visit Darth_Azalin's Homepage Send Darth_Azalin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well my favorite is Artemis...

But I would like someone else to tell an Artemis storing that doesn't have the close ties to Drizzt.

Meaning if your looking at the 3.5 edition of both of the Drizzt is a 16th Ranger while Artie is 11th Thief and 16th fighter. Everyone that has played 3.5 knows that it is killer to be a human fighter since you get bonus feats over anything else. So with that said feats alone has Artemis winning over Drizzt.

Then you add in there magical items (Drizzt's weapons took a big hit in 3.0) but those 2 scrimitars vs Artemis Dagger (Defender and life stealing) along with a Sword of wounding. I would easily give him the Crescent Moon Fighting style since he fights with a dagger/sword.

And with that how can Artemis even lose? Yes in Servants of the Shard he is starting to feel older but I still think he would rock Drizzt's world
Go to Top of Page

The Twin Scimitars
Seeker

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2005 :  04:04:43  Show Profile  Visit The Twin Scimitars's Homepage Send The Twin Scimitars a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Your predicting the outcome of there battle with D&D rules?! In case you *forgot* what lvl you are doesn't mean nothin in real life. Its all about skill and whats driving you.

Endure, in enduring we grow strong.
-Dak'kon, Planescape Torment
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2005 :  04:14:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And that is why characters should never be statted out. The novels don't necessarily follow the rules, so when the characters are statted out, they are forced into something they weren't meant to be part of.

Characters are usually statted after the fact, but a third party. That's part of why I disregard the stats.

Go to Top of Page

Darth_Azalin
Acolyte

26 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2005 :  04:50:29  Show Profile  Visit Darth_Azalin's Homepage Send Darth_Azalin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Twin Scimitars

Your predicting the outcome of there battle with D&D rules?! In case you *forgot* what lvl you are doesn't mean nothin in real life. Its all about skill and whats driving you.

Skill and driving you.. I would agree on Drizzt fighting when he was dueling with Zak because he wanted to be better. But after Drizzt left his birthhome he didn't really have any drive left in him unless he was defending Guen or Cat.

Artemis has skill and "whats driving you" when he fights Drizzts because he wants to KILL him. And Artemis wants to have one more battle with Drizzt before he loses to much of his skill, because in his mind he knows hes better.

And D&D rules isn't that what the novels are all about. I'm mean they have to follow guildlines and everything. And going back to the days of Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman weren't the Cronciles actually there adventures in there D&D group?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2005 :  05:54:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Darth_Azalin

And D&D rules isn't that what the novels are all about. I'm mean they have to follow guildlines and everything. And going back to the days of Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman weren't the Cronciles actually there adventures in there D&D group?

I believe the Chronicles trilogy was loosely based on the early Dragonlance modules. But that was only a starting point -- telling a story is far more important than adhering to rules. The novels aren't just aimed at gamers, they are aimed at readers, too, not all of whom will know or even care about the rules.

To carry your argument out a bit further... Raistlin. According to the rules at the time, the gods of Krynn didn't allow anyone at 19th level or over to stay on Krynn. And Takhisis was very powerful, much more than 19th level.

Yet, as we saw when Tas and Caramon overshot their own time, Raistlin was not only powerful enough to first challenge the Dark Queen on her home turf and then defeat her on his, he also defeated the rest of the gods.

By the rules, that's impossible. Yet it happened... So we can only conclude that they started with the rules, but very quickly moved beyond them.

Sometimes, characters in novels have to exceed the rules or go beyond them, in order to make for a better story. So we shouldn't retroactively apply rules to someone who wasn't designed within that ruleset.

Go to Top of Page

Darth_Azalin
Acolyte

26 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2005 :  06:45:40  Show Profile  Visit Darth_Azalin's Homepage Send Darth_Azalin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I believe the Chronicles trilogy was loosely based on the early Dragonlance modules. But that was only a starting point -- telling a story is far more important than adhering to rules. The novels aren't just aimed at gamers, they are aimed at readers, too, not all of whom will know or even care about the rules.

To carry your argument out a bit further... Raistlin. According to the rules at the time, the gods of Krynn didn't allow anyone at 19th level or over to stay on Krynn. And Takhisis was very powerful, much more than 19th level.

Yet, as we saw when Tas and Caramon overshot their own time, Raistlin was not only powerful enough to first challenge the Dark Queen on her home turf and then defeat her on his, he also defeated the rest of the gods.

By the rules, that's impossible. Yet it happened... So we can only conclude that they started with the rules, but very quickly moved beyond them.

Sometimes, characters in novels have to exceed the rules or go beyond them, in order to make for a better story. So we shouldn't retroactively apply rules to someone who wasn't designed within that ruleset.

Yes I agree with that thought I mean look at the Legends series.. He goes back in time and is in the present practically at once.

But isn't Takhisis -- Tiamat anyway and if memory serves me right only Venger (from the D&D cartoon series) the only person really afraid of her?
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2005 :  10:48:44  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I remember in the chronicles of the Dragonlance where is said Raistlin is level 3 and he cast a spell two levels higher, I can't remember the spells right now though...

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est
Go to Top of Page

Darth_Azalin
Acolyte

26 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2005 :  11:22:05  Show Profile  Visit Darth_Azalin's Homepage Send Darth_Azalin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well your right he was 3rd lvl but he had a Staff of Magius as equipment
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2005 :  14:32:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

But isn't Takhisis -- Tiamat anyway and if memory serves me right only Venger (from the D&D cartoon series) the only person really afraid of her?

On Krynn, Takhisis was the five-headed dragon. Though she was, physically at least, identical to Tiamat, she was not actually Tiamat. Similarly, on Krynn, Paladine was the platinum dragon, but elsewhere the platinum dragon is Bahamut.

Both Bahamut and Tiamat are present in the Realms. Tiamat, in particular, has an interest in the Cult of the Dragon.

As for Venger... Well, so far as I know, the cartoon happened in no particular game world. Remember, the cartoon was out long before the publishing of most of TSR's campaign worlds. I think Known World and Greyhawk were all that was around then.

It's prolly not all that canon, but there was a comic book called "A Grand Tour of the Realms". In that comic, the kids from the cartoon (looking older, Bobby was huge!) go to Shadowdale to see if Presto can learn from Elminster.

I want to say that someone told me that in one of the CRPGs (Baldur's Gate, I believe), at some point you see a portrait of the characters from the cartoon. I've never played the game, so I don't know if that's true or not.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000