Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 favourite cahracter
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2005 :  17:35:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At this moment, the top three are all people Elaine Cunningham has written about: Elaith, Khelben, and Danilo. Interesting... And Drizzt still hasn't gotten any votes.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2005 :  18:11:46  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My ultimate favorit novel-character is Drizzt... The epic novels giving the reader the opportunity to follow him throughout his life is no less than unmatched en any of the many novels known to me. It is a simple act of genius by Salvatore.

"When dragons make war, worlds can only tremble in the shadow of angry wings"
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2005 :  18:23:14  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahh Wooly, you jinxed us!
Go to Top of Page

Anthor The Unforgiver
Acolyte

Turkey
15 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2005 :  18:37:47  Show Profile  Visit Anthor The Unforgiver's Homepage Send Anthor The Unforgiver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll go for Drizzt. I never get tired of reading novels about him. Elmınster, Danilo and khelben second
Elaith third

The gods may forgive you,
BUT I WON`T

My name is Anthoriavalas, but people call me Anthor.
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2005 :  19:25:54  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My vote went to Elaith, from this list he's my favorite. He's a cool character, always out for number one.

However, my all time favorite Realms character is Malik el Sami yn Nasser, Seraph of Lies. He's crazy, pathetic, devious and dangerous all at the same time, combined with the fact that he's the Seraph of Lies who can't lie just puts him over the top for me. Erevis Cale is closing in on Malik now, but hasn't overcome him yet. Right now, he's tied for second place with Vangerdahast, I was incredibly happy to see him back in Elminster's Daughter.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2005 :  23:27:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Bane

Ahh Wooly, you jinxed us!

Maybe so, but it still took more than 35 votes for someone to get around to voting for Drizzt.

Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2005 :  00:06:30  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well - I voted for Drizzt, but that was only because my favorite character was absent - Sarya Dlardrageth... She is so cool, as is her whole race... Oh yeah, I am a hardcore Daemonfey/Fey'ri fan... I think that may have something to do with it.

But, another fact - My most unfavorite character: Takari Moonsnow.

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2005 :  05:46:18  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CrennenFaerieBane

Well - I voted for Drizzt, but that was only because my favorite character was absent - Sarya Dlardrageth... She is so cool, as is her whole race... Oh yeah, I am a hardcore Daemonfey/Fey'ri fan... I think that may have something to do with it.

Oh wow! I never thought that Takari would cross my mind as the most unfavorite character, hmm....strange, first time I heard her as the most unfavorite character. Never mind, for my most unfavorite character is Galeron Nihmedu, to me, this Galeron is an incompetent shadowmage.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2005 :  22:27:11  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadovar

quote:

Oh wow! I never thought that Takari would cross my mind as the most unfavorite character, hmm....strange, first time I heard her as the most unfavorite character. Never mind, for my most unfavorite character is Galeron Nihmedu, to me, this Galeron is an incompetent shadowmage.

Let me explain: I was really put off by the horrible writing that revolved around Takari in the third book. It made her seem like nothing more than a 2-bit whore, and that is not what she was - as was evident by her devotion to Galaeron (and yes, he was a nincompoop). The description of her whole coupling with the Damaran actually made me sick. If I didn't want to get through the book to have some new ideas of Faerun, I would have burned it.

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

Xaean
Acolyte

Austria
8 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2005 :  01:46:52  Show Profile  Visit Xaean's Homepage Send Xaean a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd vote for Queen Amlaruil of Evermeet, if she were mentioned.

By Moradin's beard!
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2005 :  02:11:06  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Let me explain: I was really put off by the horrible writing that revolved around Takari in the third book. It made her seem like nothing more than a 2-bit whore, and that is not what she was - as was evident by her devotion to Galaeron (and yes, he was a nincompoop). The description of her whole coupling with the Damaran actually made me sick. If I didn't want to get through the book to have some new ideas of Faerun, I would have burned it.

C-Fb

I see now....but she coupled not with a Damran but a Vaasan instead for the right to wield and keep a darksword for her use. She could have joined the Shadovar soldier ranks and get a darksword and magical armor for free. Ha, yes, I did not favor the idea of her seducing that Vaasan soldier for his darksword, but it seems that she had fallen under the influence of the Shadow during that time.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2005 :  02:33:33  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Khelbun has been my favorite character for as long as Waterdeep has been my favorite region in the Realms. Which is from the time I first bought FR1 Waterdeep and the North, which was as soon as it showed up in my local Waldenbooks WAAAAAAAAY back.

There is something that I like about Khelbun's control freak character. Perhaps its the same reason that I love Batman, the idea that the character really wants to do what is right, but is so absolutely convinced that they know better than everyone else that they have a tendancy to really get under everyone's skin.
Go to Top of Page

Jindael
Senior Scribe

USA
357 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2005 :  12:33:20  Show Profile  Visit Jindael's Homepage Send Jindael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Khelbun has been my favorite character for as long as Waterdeep has been my favorite region in the Realms. Which is from the time I first bought FR1 Waterdeep and the North, which was as soon as it showed up in my local Waldenbooks WAAAAAAAAY back.

There is something that I like about Khelbun's control freak character. Perhaps its the same reason that I love Batman, the idea that the character really wants to do what is right, but is so absolutely convinced that they know better than everyone else that they have a tendancy to really get under everyone's skin.

Ha! Interestingly enough, that's the exact same reason that Khelbun annoys me! Small world. ^_^ He's a good character and all, and I enjoy reading about him, but I wouldn't invite him to go bowling or something.

I think he needs to get more control freak-y. And what would do that? Why, having his wife decide to leave him.

"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
-- C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2005 :  18:01:14  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jindael

quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Ha! Interestingly enough, that's the exact same reason that Khelbun annoys me! Small world. ^_^ He's a good character and all, and I enjoy reading about him, but I wouldn't invite him to go bowling or something.

I think he needs to get more control freak-y. And what would do that? Why, having his wife decide to leave him.

Yeah, Laeral would do much better as a wild and swinging free woman! Hearts would sing all over the City of Splendors if they new the Lady Mage of Waterdeep were single. :) Ok, so they might not have a shot at all for her, but hey, it would piss Khelben off, which would flip his character out. :)

C-Fb

P.s. - Shadovar, I meant Vaasan, just was at work with no chance to check out the novel. It still made me angry though.

Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2005 :  02:56:25  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yeah, Laeral would do much better as a wild and swinging free woman! Hearts would sing all over the City of Splendors if they new the Lady Mage of Waterdeep were single. :) Ok, so they might not have a shot at all for her, but hey, it would piss Khelben off, which would flip his character out. :)

Ha, ha, ha, yes it can be true that there will be a long list of suitors for Laeral,if she was single. Let me see...who will be the foremost suitor? I think the first criteria for a suitor would be that the suitor must be immortal like a Chosen. So there are folk like Elaith, Manshoon(thanks to his stasis clones, he seemed to "live" forever) and Elminister as well as Telamont and some of his sons plus Halaster who can compete for Laeral Silverhand favor. It will drive Khelben nuts to know that his enemies are also competing with him for his lady hand.(A jest only, no offense intended at all.)

Edited by - Shadovar on 09 Jul 2005 02:58:10
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2005 :  12:03:03  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
So there are folk like Elaith, Manshoon(thanks to his stasis clones, he seemed to "live" forever) and Elminister as well as Telamont and some of his sons plus Halaster who can compete for Laeral Silverhand favor.

Elaith and one of the Seven Sisters.....hmmm....well, he has kissed one of Laeral's sisters. Actualy, I think it was more she kissed Elaith.
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2005 :  16:28:29  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've just put my clutches in the first two tomes of the Songs and Swords series, should I prepare myself to change my favourite chars choice?

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est

Edited by - Thelonius on 09 Jul 2005 16:32:35
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2005 :  16:49:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thelonius Andrass

I've just put my clutches in the first two tomes of the Songs and Swords series, should I prepare myself to change my favourite chars choice?

I wasn't a huge fan of the first Moonshae trilogy. The second was much better, though it's not a fave, either.

That said, I don't anticipate a need to change your list of fave characters. I honestly can't recall anyone listing a Doug Niles character as one of their favorites.

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2005 :  17:05:38  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
C'mon Wooly, you didn't like that psychotic Deirdra?

Way way back Tristan would have been higher on my list, but then more and more core continent characters came up that I liked better. No offence to Tristan or his creator, I just started to like characters more closely tied to the main continent.

The first book of the first trilogy can be jarring as it really wasn't meant to be a Realms novel but setting up its own setting. I agree that from a Realms point of view I liked the second trilogy better.
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2005 :  02:07:32  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:
So there are folk like Elaith, Manshoon(thanks to his stasis clones, he seemed to "live" forever) and Elminister as well as Telamont and some of his sons plus Halaster who can compete for Laeral Silverhand favor.

Elaith and one of the Seven Sisters.....hmmm....well, he has kissed one of Laeral's sisters. Actualy, I think it was more she kissed Elaith.

Huh? Pardon my asking, SiruisBlack, Which sister? How come I did not heard of this before?

Edited by - Shadovar on 10 Jul 2005 02:08:25
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2005 :  05:09:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Thelonius Andrass

I wasn't a huge fan of the first Moonshae trilogy. The second was much better, though it's not a fave, either.

That said, I don't anticipate a need to change your list of fave characters. I honestly can't recall anyone listing a Doug Niles character as one of their favorites.

I'm the other way around. The original trilogy was actually the trilogy I preferred more than the second Moonshae trilogy.

Neither trilogies rank among my favorite Realms stories though. However I do read the first trilogy from time to time because it was the first Realms tale I ever read... just a few weeks after its initial release.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 10 Jul 2005 05:11:33
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2005 :  12:04:19  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was really hard for me to decide but I settled on Khelben. Maybe for the reason that I have this nagging feeling that if I had as much power as him I would be like him.....

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2005 :  13:07:15  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Huh? Pardon my asking, SiruisBlack, Which sister? How come I did not heard of this before?

Probably because you haven't read Silverfall, Stories of the Seven Sisters by Ed Greenwood. Qilue is the sister I mentioned.
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2005 :  21:13:36  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But i think I should wait till I end reading The Song of the Saurials, ohmmmm so many books to read, so low time to do it...

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est
Go to Top of Page

magnakanus
Acolyte

Germany
9 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2005 :  18:11:54  Show Profile  Visit magnakanus's Homepage Send magnakanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Though Jarlaxle is definately the coolest, I think that the most difficult to personify and best developed despite this barrier was definately Bruenor Battlehammer. I have to say that I would not as a character in the novels honor or respect any other more than Bruenor.

All good things come to those who wait...
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2005 :  06:53:57  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:

Probably because you haven't read Silverfall, Stories of the Seven Sisters by Ed Greenwood. Qilue is the sister I mentioned.

I see......., thanks, SiriusBlack.

Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2005 :  16:14:35  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't even get past the cover of Silverfell. That art is horrid, it makes me dislike the Seven, and that's not fair to them at all, is it? I swear, they need some better artists taking on some of these books. I mean, regardless of how you feel about Drizzt, Lockwood is putting out some good artwork on those new books. I'm sure they could get someone of equal caliber for the Silverfell book. Argh!

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2005 :  05:34:50  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I can't even get past the cover of Silverfell. That art is horrid, it makes me dislike the Seven, and that's not fair to them at all, is it? I swear, they need some better artists taking on some of these books. I mean, regardless of how you feel about Drizzt, Lockwood is putting out some good artwork on those new books. I'm sure they could get someone of equal caliber for the Silverfell book. Argh!

C-Fb

Perhaps you may like to take a look at the Wotc art galleries of the Chosen (but not all Seven portraits are there, a few are present).

Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2005 :  15:56:22  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

C-Fb

Perhaps you may like to take a look at the Wotc art galleries of the Chosen (but not all Seven portraits are there, a few are present).

Well, I have books with much better artwork of the chosen... in fact, I am a Lockwood junkie, so I love his Simbul and Storm (my heart patters). But good gosh darn, what the heck was up with that cover. The picture of Qilue is the worst. Drow are supposed to look a lot more elven with obsidian skinned. I just was appalled by the artwork.

C-Fb

Edited by - Crennen FaerieBane on 14 Jul 2005 14:39:46
Go to Top of Page

Neo2151
Learned Scribe

USA
113 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2005 :  10:23:29  Show Profile Send Neo2151 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hm, well, I hate to feel as if I'm copying Wooly but out of those few people listed, I'd have to say Danilo with Elaith in a close second.

Actually, my absolute favorite isn't on the list. That title would have to go to everyone's favorite tag-along Chaney, but Goigi would come in close second.

"Come looking for me, and I will blast you to dust, and then lay waste to all your descendants, ancestors, and the realm you came from, every last tree and stone of it. Why? Well, it's what I usually do."

-Baerendra Riverhand on The Story of Spellfire
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000