Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Shadows of the Avatar
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sandhrune
Acolyte

35 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2005 :  15:17:14  Show Profile  Visit Sandhrune's Homepage Send Sandhrune a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Does anyone know why/how Elminster regains the ability to cast magic in the second novel? Maybe I missed it but I never found an explaination.

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2005 :  17:09:08  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always read it that Mystra took just enough of her power back to "reactivate" his ability to use magic. He's still carrying a massive load of Mystra's power, it's just a little smaller and therefore not quite as overwhelming.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Sandhrune
Acolyte

35 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2005 :  22:19:30  Show Profile  Visit Sandhrune's Homepage Send Sandhrune a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, that sounds good. It was a little confusing that he could wield magic in the second book and not in the first one. I am getting ready to start the third soon.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2005 :  23:25:01  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He actually gets it back on the last page of Shadows of Doom, in the tower with Mystra.

Enjoy. The Shadows of the Avatar trilogy is my all-time favorite group of FR books.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2005 :  15:38:01  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Little-known Secret Realmslore:
SHADOWS OF DOOM was originally entitled ELMINSTER'S DOOM (which snuck into print in the quotations included in THE SEVEN SISTERS lorebook), but the title was changed because TSR's Book Department intended to "save" the title ELMINSTER'S DOOM for a future novel.
!!
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2005 :  19:47:35  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One
!!
That some kind of freaky kebab?

Part of what I like about these books is that they aren't brand-managed, outlined, scheduled, and manicured to within an inch of their life. They show us events and stories that happen in the Realms, and so have a raw documentary 'here you are' feel that's missing from, for instance, the books that take place half in some character's head.
Go to Top of Page

Sandhrune
Acolyte

35 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2005 :  00:50:57  Show Profile  Visit Sandhrune's Homepage Send Sandhrune a Private Message  Reply with Quote
True. I am really enjoying them so far.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000