Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Telamont/Shadow and Alashar
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nynshari
Acolyte

17 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2005 :  18:03:15  Show Profile  Visit Nynshari's Homepage Send Nynshari a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Shadow and Alashar were mentioned a little in the Netheril set, but nothing is mentioned about her since Shadow has come back as Telamont. What is the real story with these two? What happened to her?

Thanks

Nynshari

Chaos is Life
Chaos is Creativity
Chaos is the Essence of Our Souls

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6647 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2005 :  00:37:27  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The 'real story' is whatever you want it to be. There is no further published information on this topic.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

silverpriestess
Acolyte

22 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2005 :  00:58:38  Show Profile  Visit silverpriestess's Homepage Send silverpriestess a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There were rumors that Alashar was Alashar Crywinds and so called consort of LordShadow who bore him 12 magnificent sons.
Go to Top of Page

Antareana
Seeker

Germany
59 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2005 :  02:06:22  Show Profile  Visit Antareana's Homepage Send Antareana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep, that is definately true :)
she was not "only" his consort, but his wife and they were wed by Karsus
I love the story of Alashar and Shadow and I don't understand why she isn't mentioned anywhere in the new books. In one part in "Return of the archwizards" I thought Telamont could have talked to her, but that was never verified... sadly

but maybe the guys at Wizards plan something huge for her in the future and because of that they do not tell anything
as long as that goes on, it is up to us DMs (oh and I gave them such a sweet story )

It is all just a past and future secret

Edited by - Antareana on 16 Jun 2005 02:07:50
Go to Top of Page

Rivalen
Acolyte

19 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2005 :  10:50:23  Show Profile  Visit Rivalen's Homepage Send Rivalen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm... there had been a lot of speculation about Alashar Crywinds, but there is a popular belief among some that Lord Shadow met her probably in a inn in one of the enclaves where she was a bard or rather a charming bard. Yes, they were married in the presence of Mad Karse and some even claim her as an avatar of Shar(true or not I am not sure) who was sent with some agenda which some think is to manipulate LordShadow to follow Shar plans.

Fight to win, but donlt fight too long or for glorious tales.
Go to Top of Page

Antareana
Seeker

Germany
59 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2005 :  22:00:18  Show Profile  Visit Antareana's Homepage Send Antareana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A very charming bard indeed :)
She was sent by Grenway, who hold a grudge against Shadow because of his planar theories, to assassinate Shadow. However both fell in love and Grenways plan was never executed. Where they met? Well, I don't know, but maybe she wanted to perform for him in his palace and then had a "private dinner" with Shadow where both fell for each other (according to RoS Shadow never had many bodyguards so they could have met in a private atmosphere)
Yep, some imagine her to be an Avatar of Shar, but... that's only a theory (which I don't like, but that's just me )

Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2005 :  07:43:21  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Antareana

A very charming bard indeed :)
She was sent by Grenway, who hold a grudge against Shadow because of his planar theories, to assassinate Shadow. However both fell in love and Grenways plan was never executed. Where they met? Well, I don't know, but maybe she wanted to perform for him in his palace and then had a "private dinner" with Shadow where both fell for each other (according to RoS Shadow never had many bodyguards so they could have met in a private atmosphere)
Yep, some imagine her to be an Avatar of Shar, but... that's only a theory (which I don't like, but that's just me )

Well, erm, Actually when Lord Shadow met Alashar, he had not yet earned the title of Lord Shaodw nor was he that impressive and awe-inpsiring with shadow magic(which he achieved years later). He was merely a young student or apprentice studying in Karse Academy of Magic and he had yet to own his own enclave. He happened to visit Iolaum during one of his often bored times when he wished to be away from his work on the plane of shadow to at least relax. And the inn or tavern which he stayed was the place where he met Alashar Crywinds. Alashar Crywinds that time was indeed very charming, in terms of appearance and voice, that almost everyone in the tavern including young Telamont Tanthul was so smitten by her charms but Alashar only paid heed to young Telamont's attention.
Well, some say that Alashar was an assassin sent to kill Telamont for his blasphermorous work on the shadow although only Karse supported Telamont in his work, other arcanists were not so in favor of Telamont ideals. But it was said that young Telamont and Alashar had been so close to each other that Alashar somewhat refused to kill him and admitted to Telamont that she was sent to murder him. Telamont was said to have taken the sudden confession by Alashar very calmly(and that's why he look so glum and cool nowadays) and even kind of made arrangements to make it look that Telamont was dead while secretly plotting to kill the arcanist who sent Alashar after Telamont.
How and why Alashar disappeared from Lord Shadow side was never really known which some say she is disillusioned with Telamont mad craze for shadow magic and avenging the Netherese against "old enemies" such as Phaerimm, and hence she left him.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

Antareana
Seeker

Germany
59 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2005 :  13:06:03  Show Profile  Visit Antareana's Homepage Send Antareana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
huh, then you know more than I do
can I read this in the Netheril trilogy? (which I -sadly- haven't read already)
do you know then when Shadow became Lord Shadow? For the "Death sentence" on Shadow was lifted when he published "Shadows-palpable Cohesion of formless corporeality" and I always thought he became a full Arcanist after that... and shortly after he married Alashar both "went into the Shadow Plane" so no one would recognize that both were still alive (maybe that is the reason why Shade, at the time of the fall, was officially ruled by the twelve princes)
However that can be interpreted that Shade went halfway into the Shadow Plane and Shadow and Alashar stayed there-only hidden from the other arcanists
If she had really left him, it must have been after years in the Shadow Plane after the fall for Shadow had a very sweet personality before that (I love his characterization in assassin's shadow)

Go to Top of Page

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2010 :  11:44:12  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just found this scroll because I was wondering about something related.
There is a short story (forgot the name) which tells that shar ordered Telamonts oldest son Rivalen to kill his mother (Telamonts wife). After doing so shar helped to hide this from Telamont and he never learned what happend to her.

What do you think would happen when he somehow learns about this now? Would he still care after all those years and if so would he try to plot against the church of shar with the risk of a civil war in his enclave and Rivalen on the other side?
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2010 :  15:27:36  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by _Jarlaxle_

Just found this scroll because I was wondering about something related.
There is a short story (forgot the name) which tells that shar ordered Telamonts oldest son Rivalen to kill his mother (Telamonts wife). After doing so shar helped to hide this from Telamont and he never learned what happend to her.

What do you think would happen when he somehow learns about this now? Would he still care after all those years and if so would he try to plot against the church of shar with the risk of a civil war in his enclave and Rivalen on the other side?

The short story is Continuum by Paul Kemp in Realms of War. As far as I know, Brennus realizes towards the end of the story, that Telamont knew about the murder for a long time already and cannot understand that he does nothing to revenge it. So I suppose there is the answer to your question: he did not want to go against the church of Shar with all the risks that this would imply.

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625

Edited by - skychrome on 27 Apr 2010 15:31:03
Go to Top of Page

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2010 :  09:26:24  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hmm I guess I have to take a look at the story again, because I can't remember that ending :D
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2010 :  15:20:07  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is not that obvious, because Telamont himself does not comment on that topic. It is only Brennus realizing that he must have known for some time already.

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Strife026
Acolyte

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2010 :  06:33:59  Show Profile  Visit Strife026's Homepage Send Strife026 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jarl, the answer to your question is in the novel Shadowrealm, pgs 114-121.
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2010 :  15:13:48  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Strife026 is probably right. I think I mixed it up. Brennus seems to realize Telamont's knowledge on the murder there, instead of in Continuum, however shortly after the events of Continuum.

Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2010 :  10:50:48  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd love to know more about Alashar Crywinds. Seems to be one of those great characters from the past, like Alea Dahast or Srinshee.

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2010 :  09:36:25  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not someone who possesses great power, (other than charm, for having been able to make Telamont fall on his knees), but quite interesting, nevertheless.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2010 :  13:33:45  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Strife026

Jarl, the answer to your question is in the novel Shadowrealm, pgs 114-121.

Yes you are right, I'm actually in the end part of Shadowrealm.

Nice to see something I'm wondering about covered in a novel
Go to Top of Page

Sammael
Acolyte

27 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2019 :  08:18:21  Show Profile  Visit Sammael's Homepage Send Sammael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What do you guys think about using Alashar to redeem Telamont? This has inspired me to make their story into somethink akin to Mr. Freeze and Nora - perhaps all his research into shadows was to somehow get her back? It would also make sense if Shar was responsible for her death or ailment, to manipulate Telamont into becoming what he has become...
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2019 :  21:00:09  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-I dunno, while they did fall in love and all, Alashar was an assassin (or at least charged with assassinating Telamont). It's not like she was a innocent and squeaky-clean. He was more neutral than evil back then, and being charged to assassinate someone doesn't necessarily make them hardcore evil, but they could've both been pretty nasty people even back then.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000