Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Rivalen Tanthul
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nynshari
Acolyte

17 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2005 :  18:49:38  Show Profile  Visit Nynshari's Homepage Send Nynshari a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Sorry if this is a stupid question, or one you cannot answer, but:

In the RotAW series, Book II, it appeared as though Rivalen died in his battle with Galaeron and Vanderghast (sp?), but he is alive and well a year later in MotN.

Could you please explain what happened to him, as he apparently didn't die?

Thank you ~

Nynshari

Nynshari

Chaos is Life
Chaos is Creativity
Chaos is the Essence of Our Souls

Tanyn Midrain
Acolyte

Sweden
27 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2005 :  23:06:38  Show Profile  Visit Tanyn Midrain's Homepage Send Tanyn Midrain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He was probably resurrected by one of the other princes, perhaps Telamont Tanthul himself.
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2005 :  02:17:02  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm...Telamont Tanthul is not known to possess such kind of powers despite his awe-inspiring shadow powers. I think Rivalen Tanthul might had been ressurected or animated by clerics of Shar or Shar herself. Rivalen is the High Priest of Shar in the Hall of Shadows in Telamont's palace and I think Shar may have ressurected him as she needs him as a tool to manipulate the Shadovar further.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

TylerXKJ
Acolyte

27 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2005 :  02:59:44  Show Profile  Visit TylerXKJ's Homepage Send TylerXKJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The City of Shade has the resources to ressurect him and they probably did.
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2005 :  09:27:18  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TylerXKJ

Perhaps so, who knows Rivalen Tanthul might have learnt the secret of Manshoon's stasis clone spellwork.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2005 :  16:41:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadovar

quote:
Originally posted by TylerXKJ

Perhaps so, who knows Rivalen Tanthul might have learnt the secret of Manshoon's stasis clone spellwork.

I find that idea doubtful. Manshoon hasn't shared that spell with very many folks.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2005 :  02:13:22  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps so, I did wonder did Rivalen use his Shade abilities to spy on Manshoon secret spellwork of stasis clones?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2005 :  06:15:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Perhaps so, I did wonder did Rivalen use his Shade abilities to spy on Manshoon secret spellwork of stasis clones?

Possibly, but what would make him do that?

I'm running with Occam's Razor, and assuming a simpler explanation. Someone else bringing him back makes the most sense and is the simplest explanation.

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2005 :  06:28:23  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would assume that even if no one of high enough level to raise him exists in the enclave (which seems unlikely given how highly they favor Shar) they should have tons of magic on hand, including a Rod of Ressurection or the like, and even barring that, one of his brothers could have easily cast a Wish spell to return him to life (assuming Telemont wouldn't do it himself).

Although it does make me wonder why he wouldn't have is youngest son returned to life . . . unless he felt that he was a failure and thus deserving of his fate. He was the weakest link after all.
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2005 :  08:24:31  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, a good question why Telamont did not ressurect or get someone to ressurect Melegaunt Tanthul. Melegaunt Tanthul is simply complicated whereby at times he seemed to be on the good side and not on the side of his own brothers. But Melegaunt Tanthul is the best espionage agent available to Shade Enclave, his acting skills are simply very good. It seems to me it is a waste not to ressurect such a good talent.
Who knows in the future Faerun might be threatened by Telamont and his 12 sons all restored to normal and alive.

Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2005 :  19:20:21  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yes, a good question why Telamont did not ressurect or get someone to ressurect Melegaunt Tanthul. Melegaunt Tanthul is simply complicated whereby at times he seemed to be on the good side and not on the side of his own brothers. But Melegaunt Tanthul is the best espionage agent available to Shade Enclave, his acting skills are simply very good. It seems to me it is a waste not to ressurect such a good talent.
Who knows in the future Faerun might be threatened by Telamont and his 12 sons all restored to normal and alive.

Well, the first thing they will have to do is get there shadow mythal fixed so that they can start bringing terror upon the peoples.

I think the reason that Melegaunt didn't get resurrected is b/c of Galaeron's acquiring his knowledge. Because Melegaunt transferred his knowledge (essence, whatever).. it may lead to difficulties in doing so. Next, Melegaunt technically failed - Galaeron completed the spell that summoned Shade to the world.

C-Fb
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2005 :  11:25:14  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CrennenFaerieBane

quote:

Well, the first thing they will have to do is get there shadow mythal fixed so that they can start bringing terror upon the peoples.

I think the reason that Melegaunt didn't get resurrected is b/c of Galaeron's acquiring his knowledge. Because Melegaunt transferred his knowledge (essence, whatever).. it may lead to difficulties in doing so. Next, Melegaunt technically failed - Galaeron completed the spell that summoned Shade to the world.

C-Fb

Shadow Mythal? Well....so far i have heard of the elven Mythals but not shadow Mythals unless it refers to the mythallar of the shade enclave?! The mythallar would need spare parts from the other fallen enclaves to restore shade enclave mythallar back to full function.

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2005 :  13:27:13  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mythal=Living field of magical energy around a city that protects those living in it in various ways as well as altering how the Weave is accessed within its confines.

Mythallar=Big magic battery used for powering major spell effects by the Netherese (such as making a city float).
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2005 :  16:21:24  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Mythal=Living field of magical energy around a city that protects those living in it in various ways as well as altering how the Weave is accessed within its confines.

Mythallar=Big magic battery used for powering major spell effects by the Netherese (such as making a city float).

All right... I messed up the terminology. They're still going to have to get it fixed though!!

And seriously? Does Shar like the Shadovar or not? She is always so fickle.

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2005 :  12:55:54  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

All right... I messed up the terminology. They're still going to have to get it fixed though!!

And seriously? Does Shar like the Shadovar or not? She is always so fickle.

C-Fb

Shar may be a fickle goddess, I think she is disappointed with the Shadovar inability to return to Faerun from the plane of shadow during the Shadovar exile in the plane of shadow, hence looking for some beings or someone better than the shadovar to be instrumental and useful for her plans for Faerun.

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2005 :  14:28:58  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Crennen, the first time I read the term Mythallar I immediately thought of Mythals, so its a pretty easy thing to do.
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2005 :  16:03:28  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, speaking of the Shades and all things Shadowy... what is your guys' opinion on that new race introduced in the CoR book? I would name them, but since I don't have the tome here at work, and being an insurance adjustor drains one's mental capacity, forgive me.

I thought they were a little bit after the fact, like they said, oh this would be good... even though a lot about Shade had already been written. I dunno, whatcha think?

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2005 :  17:23:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hey, speaking of the Shades and all things Shadowy... what is your guys' opinion on that new race introduced in the CoR book?

The krinth? They didn't interest me in the slightest.

Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2005 :  18:51:33  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not to get completely off topic, but don't you think they should have considered a "Half-Glaberzu" template rather than just a Draegloth? The reason I say so is that FR just had some great success with Richard Baker's book Forsaken House, and in that, Sarya's son/nephew Xhalth (Xhalph) is a half- sun elf/half - glaberzu, and he used swords... so it would have been nice to go that route instead. Oh well, no use crying over spilled milk.

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2005 :  01:57:11  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hey, speaking of the Shades and all things Shadowy... what is your guys' opinion on that new race introduced in the CoR book? I would name them, but since I don't have the tome here at work, and being an insurance adjustor drains one's mental capacity, forgive me.

I thought they were a little bit after the fact, like they said, oh this would be good... even though a lot about Shade had already been written. I dunno, whatcha think?

C-Fb

The new race in the CoR? Krinth? Hmm....they are interesting but somehow below my expectations.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2010 :  13:50:36  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He teleported to safety. Here's the scene from The Siege:

quote:

Vangerdahast's weary arms came up, wrapping themselves around the skeletal body, and he uttered a familiar command word. They vanished in a sizzle of teleport magic—

—and Rivalen's raspy voice erupted in anguish on the orb-lit patio. Galaeron spun around to find the prince—or, rather, the prince's ribs and heart—erupting into golden flame as Vangerdahast tried to push the black thing into the inky darkness creeping toward them both. Galaeron was there in a leap, arriving heels first to kick Rivalen over the edge. The ribs and heart vanished, burning, into black nothingness—and Vangerdahast started after them, suddenly spinning around on his back, sleeve stretching over his head into darkness.

That last part---'Vangerdahast started after them...'---gives me the impression that he knew Rivalen - or an essential part of him - was still alive and trying to teleport, so he wanted to seize and utterly destroy those disembodied parts once and for all.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000