Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Knighthoods in the realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nevorick
Acolyte

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2005 :  06:51:43  Show Profile  Visit Nevorick's Homepage Send Nevorick a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic

I have a fairly simple question. Many of the pc's in my game are Purple Dragon Knights of Cormyr. One of the players is also a worshipper of Sune. He would like to become a Knight of the Ruby Rose(a Knight to Sune) as well.

Does anyone see any reason why he could or could not hold a knighthood in both? I don't know if a knightly order would allow a knight to serve "two masters" or if he would have to chose one over the other.

"What happens in Waterdeep, stays in Waterdeep."

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2005 :  06:59:39  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess that would depend on what the duties of each Knighthood would entail, however, if its any help, we do know that a least of one of Cormyr's High Knights is also a Harper, so apparently that dual membership did not preclude anyone's acceptance.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2005 :  07:14:37  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nevorick

I have a fairly simple question. Many of the pc's in my game are Purple Dragon Knights of Cormyr. One of the players is also a worshipper of Sune. He would like to become a Knight of the Ruby Rose(a Knight to Sune) as well.

Does anyone see any reason why he could or could not hold a knighthood in both? I don't know if a knightly order would allow a knight to serve "two masters" or if he would have to chose one over the other.

I think it would depend upon his commitment to the Purple Dragons, and seeing Sune as his patron deity. He may see his role as a Purple Dragon Knight to be one more focused on military and secular matters... upholding the laws of the Forest Kingdom. His drive to be a Brother of the Ruby Rose allows him to foster his more spiritual side, serving the interests of his patron.

Of course, if his committment to the Purple Dragon Knights puts him in a position that could compromise his service to Sune, then the PC may likely find himself in a dilemma, which may not only force him to decide which knighthood he truly wishes to serve, but would also make for some rather intriguing roleplaying.

As I see it, the PC would have to decide which of his commitments has a higher calling. Does he believe secular/worldly matters are more important than faith, or does he see his position as a divine agent of Lady Firehair as being of paramount importance in the Realms? What happens when the two commitments coincide with each other? What happens when they work against each other?

These are just some points that I would have a player in my campaign consider before he or she wanted to try something like this in my FR campaign.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2005 :  09:46:12  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Without reading code of both orders I can see membership permitted. One order secular and one religious at times the faith moght conflict with duty to the crown.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Nevorick
Acolyte

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2005 :  18:52:58  Show Profile  Visit Nevorick's Homepage Send Nevorick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you everyone for the input. I could see a dilemma for the knight in trying to serve both the King of Cormyr and the Goddess of Love in two seperate orders.

I wonder if the King or Sune would make him choose one to avoid potential conflicts?

"What happens in Waterdeep, stays in Waterdeep."
Go to Top of Page

Fletcher
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2005 :  19:22:01  Show Profile  Visit Fletcher's Homepage Send Fletcher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why not have him take some time off every year to complete a quest for the church of Sune Firehair. If he has been a good little soldier, and Cormyr is not in need of his services, perhaps they could let him take a month off every year to perform his religious duties.
This would enable him to continue working within the ranks of the Purple Dragons, and yet allow him to strongly support his religious status as a knight of Sune.

Run faster! The Kobolds are catching up!

Edited by - Fletcher on 14 Jun 2005 20:40:54
Go to Top of Page

Ty
Learned Scribe

USA
168 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2005 :  19:47:42  Show Profile  Visit Ty's Homepage Send Ty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also have to echo the sentiments of many posters here in throwing my 2 nibs in. Dependent upon the code of each respective knightly order, you may have conflicts arise. Does one follow king and country on a divisive issue or the tenents of a religious faith. I keep thinking back to the Knights Templar, the Knights Hospitaler, and numerous other orders that existed throughout the middle ages.
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2005 :  20:27:07  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ty

I also have to echo the sentiments of many posters here in throwing my 2 nibs in. Dependent upon the code of each respective knightly order, you may have conflicts arise. Does one follow king and country on a divisive issue or the tenents of a religious faith. I keep thinking back to the Knights Templar, the Knights Hospitaler, and numerous other orders that existed throughout the middle ages.
I suppose I should throw a couple of coppers in here too, and remind everyone that the Purple Dragon knight prestige class does not represent a knightly order. It is supposed to represent leadership within the Purple Dragons (again, the military of Cormyr, not an order of knighthood), usually for those who have actually been knighted (it's a failing of the class that it's called "knight" when the word actually means something in Cormyr).
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2005 :  23:12:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I could see a dilemma for the knight in trying to serve both the King of Cormyr and the Goddess of Love in two seperate orders.

I dunno if that would be such a dilemma... Serving an Obarskyr could be said to be serving the goddess of love.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Iliphar1
Learned Scribe

Austria
133 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2005 :  23:42:46  Show Profile  Visit Iliphar1's Homepage Send Iliphar1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It should be possible, but I your PC has to chose which side he favors, is serving the Purple Dragons first priority to the PC or Ruby Rose? I rather doubt it could be equal

'You see dead bones? ... I see an army!' Ezechiel 37
Go to Top of Page

Forge
Learned Scribe

USA
218 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2005 :  14:50:49  Show Profile  Visit Forge's Homepage Send Forge a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm with Wooly here. With the well-documented proclivities of Azoun's line, I can see Sune placing some of her own in his court. The flip side of this would also be what issues would arise with Sune's whims influencing the court. Examples: What if Sune decided that Alusair needed to loosen up and get laid?
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2005 :  16:59:38  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure what Alusair's current behaviour vis-a-vis men is, but judging by her past I'd say it'd be considered as business as usual.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2005 :  17:43:46  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

I'm not sure what Alusair's current behaviour vis-a-vis men is, but judging by her past I'd say it'd be considered as business as usual.

I think her encounter with a Huntinghorn in Elminster's Daughter clearly showed Alusair's current behavior towards men.
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2005 :  19:36:41  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

I think her encounter with a Huntinghorn in Elminster's Daughter clearly showed Alusair's current behavior towards men.

Oh gobbely-goo. That's what you get for only borrowing a book and reading it once before returning it, you forget some scenes. Guess that means that I doubt even Sune thinks she need to loosen up. Atleast not in order to sleep with men. (Possibly to fall in love though, if I recall the discussion between Ed and Zandilar on the subject correctly.)

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Kajehase on 16 Jun 2005 19:38:11
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000