Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Adapting Core to Forgotten Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ty
Learned Scribe

USA
168 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2005 :  23:07:17  Show Profile  Visit Ty's Homepage Send Ty a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Has anyone worked on adaptations of Core Prestige Classes, domains, etc., to the Forgotten Realms? Obviously I'm enamored of the Adaptation Sidebar found in Shining South (it's nifty and whoever thought of that should get a gold star), but I'm wondering if anyone else has given thoughts to this idea.

Many of the prestige classes in the Complete series or the Races of... series seem to be perfectly adaptable to Realms areas/organizations. Is anyone else interested in seeing such things or am I out on a limb here holding a teacup filled with hot chai tea latte like a crazy Yuppie?

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2005 :  08:06:38  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ty

Has anyone worked on adaptations of Core Prestige Classes, domains, etc., to the Forgotten Realms? Obviously I'm enamored of the Adaptation Sidebar found in Shining South (it's nifty and whoever thought of that should get a gold star), but I'm wondering if anyone else has given thoughts to this idea.

Many of the prestige classes in the Complete series or the Races of... series seem to be perfectly adaptable to Realms areas/organizations. Is anyone else interested in seeing such things or am I out on a limb here holding a teacup filled with hot chai tea latte like a crazy Yuppie?

Most of them can move right to the realms without any problems, since most of them are "generic."
The diety specific ones, can be a bit harder, Pelor's could be used for Lanthander, however he already has has a few.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Ty
Learned Scribe

USA
168 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2005 :  14:33:26  Show Profile  Visit Ty's Homepage Send Ty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of course, you are correct. Pelor's PrC's certainly 'could' apply to Lathander, and most generic items/classes can be adapted fairly easily, but given the vast resources present in the Realms and its unique geography and sociology, I'd be interested in seeing where for instance, a Knight Protector may hail from or perhaps an adaptation of the Fochlucan Lyrist to the Moonshaes. Thoughts?
Go to Top of Page

Stormy_Waters
Acolyte

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2005 :  19:00:36  Show Profile  Visit Stormy_Waters's Homepage Send Stormy_Waters a Private Message  Reply with Quote
but would incorporating such charachter classes upset canon (is that the word?) players. I would truly like to see a few swashbucklers around the see of fallen stars or a gladiator fighting in Chessenta but worry whether they would be a conflict of interest with players who like to see so much of faerun faithfully represented.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2005 :  01:26:30  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, though I am loathe to use this particular example, think of it this way . . .

In 1st and 2nd edition AD&D Drizzt was a ranger. In second edition they explain that he was an 18th level fighter that retrained as a 16th level ranger.

In 3rd edition, Drizzt is a Barbarian 1/Fighter 11/Ranger 4, because there is no need to explain the whole "retraining" thing. On the other hand, Thibbledorf Pwent in 2nd edition was a fighter with the Battlerager kit, and now is a barbarian with the battlerager prestige class.

A Netherese wizard (the name escapes me now) was known as "the Chronomancer" becuase he created many temporal spells. In 2nd edition he could have been represented as an actual Chronomancer classed character, but now he would be a wizard with time spells.

The point is that the lore is the most important thing, and the core game rules are going to warp and twist in order to keep everything consistant. I don't think usuing any "Complete" character classes is going to invalidate the Realms authenticity of your game as long as the spirit and the lore is there.

Heck . . . if you have the characters travel to Kara-Tur, you have two different Samurai classes to decide between, lol.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000