Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Incantations of Faerun
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2005 :  22:56:14  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I am going to start listing some of the Incantations, as per the optional rules set forth in Unearthed Arcana, that I have come up with in my own home campaign. I think this is really an interesting optional rule and allows for a lot of role playing. As I have mentioned in another thread, I see a lot of elven high magic being as much incantations and learning the secrets of them as epic level magic is.

The first one, listed below, is an incantation that an elven cleric of Sehinine Moonbow left behind in the forest of Cormanthyr when he died, as a sort of parting gift to anyone that finds out about the secrets of the incantation.

If anyone has started using these optional rules, let me know, and please post any new ones that you have come up with yourselves.

Edited by - KnightErrantJR on 04 Jul 2005 00:15:51

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2005 :  23:17:29  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Been tempted to do so several times, but my players can be quite bone-headed at times.

For the most part, unless it is something that I just don't care for (Psionics, for example, because of logistics issues), anything from a WotC book, or even a 3rd party book, I'll pretty much accept.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2005 :  04:13:25  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anyone familiar to the system, let me know if you like this one:

Dealiirithin's Vow

Necromancy
Effective Level: 6th
Skill Check: 2 Knowles (arcana) DC 19, 2 Knowles (dalelands history) DC19, 2 Perform (singing) DC 19
Failure: 5d6 force damage
Components: V, S, F
Casting Time: One hour
Range: 20 foot radius
Target: Caster plus up to eight creatures in a 20 foot radius allied to caster
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: None

This incantation is the remnant of the vow left of Dealiirithin Earindrillyn, a moon elf cleric of Sehenine Moonbow. His vow was to remain in the Elven Court and aid any that could find his resting place and recount the mystic words of unlocking, the litany of his family, and sing two songs that were his favorites in life.

The focus for this incantation is an item crafted in either Cormanthyr or in Myth Drannor proper, and it must be presented during the incantation, but is not harmed in any manner.
Mispronouncing any two elements in a row will result in a force blast that does 5d6 points of damage to the caster.

If the incantation is properly recited and performed, the spirit of Daeliirithin will appear silently and heal all damage, insanity, or poisons. Daeliirithin's spirit is completely silent, and this incantation can only be enacted during the full moon, the holiest time to Sehenine Moonbow. The incantation must be performed next to the burial tree that Daeliirithin's body lies underneath.
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2005 :  05:02:30  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
don't have any clue on the mechanics on the creation of an incantation, but looks good to me.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2005 :  00:16:33  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Crowning Achievement

Transmutation
Effective Level: 7th
Skill Check: Craft (appropriate skill for item being enhanced, see below) DC 30, Knowledge, religion (dwarven pantheon, one check each for Moradin, Clangeddin, and Dumathoin) DC 30, Perform, singing (one song each for Moradin, Clangeddin, and Dumathoin) DC 30
Failure: See below
Components: V, S, M, F, XP
Casting Time: 70 minutes
Range: Touch
Target: One touched item
Duration: Permanent
Savings Throw: None
Spell Resistance: None

This incantation is known and passed down among various clans of the Shield Dwarves of the North. It is considered a secret of Dumathoin, and as such it is rarely discussed in casual conversation.

This ritual allows a dwarven smith to create his ultimate achievement, a magic item equal to a magic item that he would be able to create if he were a spell caster of equal level. For purposes of what kind of item can be created, consider the dwarf's total levels in all character classes equal to his effective spell casting level to determine what total bonuses can be added to the armor or weapon that he seeks to create.

The dwarf must spend the same amount on the components to create the magic item that a spell caster would, and he will also pay the same experience point cost for the creation of the item that a spell caster would. The dwarf must make the masterwork item to be used for this incantation himself, and it cannot be used for anything else until it has undergone this incantation.

The focus for this incantation is a scroll that the elders of the dwarven clan pass down from one dwarf master craftsmen to another. While other details of this incantation are taught to the dwarven craftsmen as he gains skill in his trade, the final secrets of Dumathoin are listed on this scroll and not to be perused until the incantation is to be performed.

The dwarf must also prepare a special set of tools never used for any other task and worth 5000 gold pieces. These tools, while not expended, can never be used for another incantation. These tools may be fashioned in a manner that is even more exacting, costing 25000 gp and granting a +2 bonus on the craft skill check, as well as an effective bonus of +2 on the caster level for the enchantment.

The dwarf may also spend 5000 gp on a lore book (a large circular metal book detailing the gifts of Moradin, Clangeddin, and Dumathoin) granting a +2 on the Knowledge, religion check, and 5000 gp on a songbook that grants a +2 bonus on the Perform check. Each book grants an additional +2 bonus to the effective caster level of the dwarf performing the incantation.

Once the dwarf has made the masterwork item, he must immediately move to the beginning of the incantation. He must have all components already assembled at the site of the incantation. He then begins reading the scroll and performing the necessary actions.

The first check indicates the intricate runes and designs that the craftsman must work into the weapon or armor that he is working on. The next three checks that the dwarf performs have to do with the proper prayers directed to each of the three dwarven gods associated with this incantation. The final three checks involve hymns sung as thanks to the three aforementioned dwarven gods.

If two checks in a row fail, the dwarf fails to complete the incantation, cannot ever attempt it again, and suffers the same restriction listed below.

If the incantation is a success, the dwarf will have enchanted a weapon or suit of armor with the appropriate bonus abilities that is the peak of what he can create. While the dwarven gods look over this incantation, the skill and enhancement of the item comes from the soul of the items crafter.

One way or the other, the dwarf that attempts this incantation, successful or not, will never again have the urge to ply his trade as a craftsman ever. He will never have the desire to make another weapon or suit of armor, as the joy will have gone from his craft with the creation of his finest item ever.

Dwarves that are the head of clans, are the last of their lines, or that have a special purpose set aside for them by the dwarven gods may gain situational bonuses to their checks as appropriate.
Go to Top of Page

Fletcher
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2005 :  20:51:36  Show Profile  Visit Fletcher's Homepage Send Fletcher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
KE, I like 'Crowning Achievement"! Thank you for going through the effort of putting this together. I would like to use this in my campaign if you would allow.

Run faster! The Kobolds are catching up!
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2005 :  02:36:34  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As a servant of Deneir, I live to pass on knowlage . . . knock yourself out

Edited by - KnightErrantJR on 06 Jul 2005 02:37:05
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2005 :  02:40:18  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm working on a few more, but I'm on my long stint at work right now (6 days, 12.5 hours a day). As soon as that's over I'll have some free time. I am looking to make at least one unique Incantation for each major race (Dwarf, Halfling, Gnome, Human, Orc). Elves will be a special case, as I want to make some Incantations that only Elven High Mages are allowed to learn. Someday I might make draconic or giant Incantations . . . but one step at a time.

BTW, the idea for this one came from a pretty well know FR source.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2005 :  03:57:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

BTW, the idea for this one came from a pretty well know FR source.

I was thinking of the forging of Aegis-fang, and how well this fit, the whole time I was reading it.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2005 :  04:01:32  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Wooly, I was hoping it would evoke that particular event . . .
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2005 :  04:26:56  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
KnightErrantJR, these are great! With respect to Candlekeep, don't post them here - send a query to DRAGON magazine. I'd do 4-5 dwarven-focused Incantations like Crowning Achievement, give it some realmslore (Mithral Hall, Delzoun etc.) and get it published! If you need a hand with the fluffy bits (not that's it's likely you will) I'm always an e-mail away.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2005 :  04:34:59  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had thought of that briefly, but with the premise based on both Forgotten Realms and on an optional rule from Unearthed Arcana, I thought that might be a bit too "ungenaric" for what they usually look for.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2005 :  07:48:52  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They can only say no ...

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000