Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 How Exactly Do These Things Work...?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2005 :  17:38:32  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
As some of the older scribes may remember from when I posted quite often, my interpretation of the Realms lies largely in the view of how things would actually be if the Realms actually existed. Most of my questions seek answers in this perspective and the following questions are no different.

1. When you have 100% resistance to fire (by any means; naturally, a Robe of Fire Resistance, a Ring of Fire Resistance, whatever), so fire literally has no effect on you at all. If a clothed man would stand in the middle of flames, would all of his clothing be protected as well? As well as any items he may have on his body? His hair would not be burned off, correct? Also, you would be able to pick up red hot coals from a fire and toss them around in your hands like a mere stone as well correct? Would you be able to swim in a pit of lava with no ill effects?

2. A similar question to the first. When having 100% resistance to cold, obviously this would protect you from cold damage like from spells such as Cone of Cold. But when walking through a place in the winter when it was cold outside, and snow covered the land, where you would not be taking any damage but would simply be experiencing the cold weather, would this be like walking in noraml conditions because of the resistance?

3. Finally, when a priest becomes powerful enough to cast spells(lets just say 1st lvl), how exactly does this happen? In a game world, the explanation is "The knowledge of what spells are avaliable become instantly clear as soon as he advances in lvl." So 'in real life in the realms' the spells avaliable to the cleric suddenly become *known* to him as his diety bestows the magic upon him when he is powerful enough?

I seek mainly reassurance on these questions as this is how I would understand them to function. If I am wrong, I would gladly appreciate clarification. My thanks.

Death strips away the masks men don to hide their true nature - The Slayer's Guide to Undead

The Lord of Murder shall perish, but in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny. Chaos shall be sown from their passage - So Sayeth the Wise Alaundo

Whenever magic one doth weave, 'tis never ever wise to deceive - Elminster

Strength and power come from knowing and controlling what others do not, but never reveal all that you know - Vecna

I have been known to cast a blue mage spell now and again - Dracandos the Spellsage

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2005 :  17:51:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dracandos the Spellsage

1. When you have 100% resistance to fire (by any means; naturally, a Robe of Fire Resistance, a Ring of Fire Resistance, whatever), so fire literally has no effect on you at all. If a clothed man would stand in the middle of flames, would all of his clothing be protected as well? As well as any items he may have on his body? His hair would not be burned off, correct? Also, you would be able to pick up red hot coals from a fire and toss them around in your hands like a mere stone as well correct? Would you be able to swim in a pit of lava with no ill effects?

I'd allow the items on his person to be protected by the magic.

It seems a bit much to me, but I can't think of any rule-specific reason why the protection wouldn't include lava.

quote:

2. A similar question to the first. When having 100% resistance to cold, obviously this would protect you from cold damage like from spells such as Cone of Cold. But when walking through a place in the winter when it was cold outside, and snow covered the land, where you would not be taking any damage but would simply be experiencing the cold weather, would this be like walking in noraml conditions because of the resistance?

I'd say that the person is effectively in temperatures that feel comfortable (or maybe cool enough to be noticable) to him or her.

quote:

3. Finally, when a priest becomes powerful enough to cast spells(lets just say 1st lvl), how exactly does this happen? In a game world, the explanation is "The knowledge of what spells are avaliable become instantly clear as soon as he advances in lvl." So 'in real life in the realms' the spells avaliable to the cleric suddenly become *known* to him as his diety bestows the magic upon him when he is powerful enough?

I would say that the priest prolly feels some sort of divine contact and an inrush of divine power. With this, they receive knowledge of the spells the deity commonly grants to followers, and can start praying for whichever ones.

Mind you, this is all going from my own feeling. Other than fire resistance covering clothing (when Arilyn stepped into the campfire in Elfshadow, she saw embers land on her clothing without igniting), most of this stuff has never really been explored.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2005 :  18:09:45  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1. " Each resistance ability is defined by what energy type it resists and how many points of damage are resisted. It doesn’t matter whether the damage has a mundane or magical source.

When resistance completely negates the damage from an energy attack, the attack does not disrupt a spell. This resistance does not stack with the resistance that a spell might provide."

All attended items are normally protected by resistance. So yes, unless specified differently in effect descriptopn all clothing would be protected from fire and hot embers can be picked up with no harm to hands. In the case of something like a forest fire there would be no damage from heat, however there would be effects from smoke (visability reduced and harder to breath for example) and any other indirect effects or a large fire. Swiming the lava apply swiming rules only (and drowing if unable to swim) there will be no heat damage.

2. The cold of winter will not be noticed, there though could also be secondary effects. Slipping on ice, movement slowed by deep snow etc.

3. This is more a matter of opinion then any official rule. I treat as the Priest is taught how to pray to request spell effects. Once reaching 1st level (completing training) the Priest feels the pray answered, a knowing that the pray was answered.

Side note, a quick look at 3.5 appears to indicate that energry resistance is most often expressed as amount of Hit point damage ignore as oposed to a percentage amount of damage that has no effect. That is to say I can not locate a Ring of Fire Resistance (100 percent) insteand are rings that ignore 10, 20 or 30 hit points.

Edit: typing, had one i where an o belonged and one o where an i belonged.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon

Edited by - Kentinal on 03 Jun 2005 18:13:21
Go to Top of Page

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2005 :  19:28:02  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My thanks. It seems that my interpretations were accurate.

Death strips away the masks men don to hide their true nature - The Slayer's Guide to Undead

The Lord of Murder shall perish, but in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny. Chaos shall be sown from their passage - So Sayeth the Wise Alaundo

Strength and power come from knowing and controlling what others do not, but never reveal all that you know - Vecna

I have been known to cast a blue mage spell now and again - Dracandos the Spellsage
Go to Top of Page

LordAnki
Seeker

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2005 :  00:25:37  Show Profile  Visit LordAnki's Homepage Send LordAnki a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1. Yes, you would be able to touch anything that was extremely hot. You could prolly go to the centre of the sun and not be burned. Its like when Breunor was riding the back of Shimmergloom with drizzt's ice sword and was engulfed in flames. Anything that was on him was not burned.

Tip of the Month: don't drink the dirty water. You know what i'm talking about if you know what i mean.
Go to Top of Page

Bendal
Seeker

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2005 :  13:35:34  Show Profile  Visit Bendal's Homepage Send Bendal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now that 3.5E rules use the 'resistance' method of determining protection by subtracting an amount from the potential damage (10, 20 or 30 pts), I think that the center of the sun would create more damage than that.

For that matter, I would probably rule in my game that lava would cause some damage if you were running around in it with one of those rings on.

A cold resistance ring, however, would be just the thing to wear in the North's long, cold winters. Even the minor version (10pts subtracted) would be enough to negate nearly all damage from even the worst storms.
Go to Top of Page

Forge
Learned Scribe

USA
218 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2005 :  17:20:43  Show Profile  Visit Forge's Homepage Send Forge a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Couple of thoughts, First, Drizzt's sword was a Frostbrand and granted immunity to normal fires, but less so when very hot fire is concerned. Personally I would say dousing yourself in oil and setting yourself on fire would be the latter, but that is for the illustrious Mr Salvatore to adjudicate and I will not rules-lawyer a wonderful and inspiring scene.

Now, I would wonder about how a person would feel towards the damage taken by something, for example: cold. Certain items, like Boots Of the Winterlands state that the wearer doesn't feel the cold "warm the wearer as if he were affected by an Endure Elements spell". However it doesnt contain a damage reduction component regarding damage from outside/exceptional sources.
Go to Top of Page

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2005 :  17:58:52  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aye with the whole, "taking cold damage" thats not what I'm talking about. Walking through a land in the winter, you wont be taking damage from just walking outside for ten minutes. What I'm asking is will the wearer feel any cold or not. I assumed with the protection, it would be as if walking in 'normal' comfortable conditions.

Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2005 :  18:20:10  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't speak for 3.x, but back in 2e some fire resistence items/spells made a distinction between "hot normal" fire (burning house), "extremely hot normal" fire (lava and, oddly enough, red dragon breath), and magical fire (fireball). So an item that would allow you to walk through a burning building would only provide -2 hit points/die against a fireball. I know this isn't exactly what your question asked, but I felt a distinction needed to be made.

However, if you have an item that allows absolute immunity (say, the golden dragon orb), then yeah, you can do pretty much anything you like to fire. I'm not sure if you could actually *swim* in lava, since it's resistence is a whole lot more than water, but you could definately float along down the current. You'd need rather a lot of strength enhancement before I'd rule you could swim.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2005 :  18:48:24  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didnt literally mean swim, but yeah come in contact with lava is basically what I want.

Go to Top of Page

Bendal
Seeker

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2005 :  22:49:21  Show Profile  Visit Bendal's Homepage Send Bendal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suppose if you had "absolute immunity" to heat, the only danger lava would present to you would be suffocation. Think of it as viscous mud in that event.

BTW, in severe winter weather, venturing outside for 10 minutes without adequate protection can kill you, or at the least result in severe frostbite. I'm talking well below zero and high winds, which can be common in arctic areas. There are historical examples of people's spit freezing as it leaves their lips due to the intense cold.
Go to Top of Page

jebeddo
Seeker

Canada
69 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2005 :  23:01:56  Show Profile  Visit jebeddo's Homepage Send jebeddo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, in my games I ruled that characters with cold resistance feels cold, but not to the extent that it causes any actual discomfort. So this means that when a character with a ring of cold resistance walks through winter "knows" that he is in a cold area and feels cool, but not the extent that it causes him to take damage.
My belief is that any ring of energy resistance cannot prevent the character from actually "feeling" the element. A fire resistant character feels heat from the flames but doesn't get burned, an electricity resistant character feels shocks but doesn't get electricuted...etc (otherwise a fire-resistant character couldn't tell if something is hot and a cold-resistant character won't notice the difference between cooled drinks and warm drinks).

quote:

Well, this depends on your own interpetion of the Realms. I believe that when a cleric is strong enough in faith and devoted enough to her deity (at 1st level), the deity will make himself known to her in a vision, dream, or a fleeting whisper. There the god will welcome the cleric to his church and grant her the ability to cast spells in her god's name.

"Only half-orcs rush in where devas fear to tread."
Go to Top of Page

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2005 :  17:49:44  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bendal

BTW, in severe winter weather, venturing outside for 10 minutes without adequate protection can kill you, or at the least result in severe frostbite. I'm talking well below zero and high winds, which can be common in arctic areas. There are historical examples of people's spit freezing as it leaves their lips due to the intense cold.

Obviously. Im not talking about walking outside in the worse winter conditions or in the arctic. Just simply walking outside during the winter time when its cold and theres snow on the ground. Not subzero temps, no blizzards, no extraordinary variables.

quote:
Originally posted by jebeddo

My belief is that any ring of energy resistance cannot prevent the character from actually "feeling" the element. A fire resistant character feels heat from the flames but doesn't get burned, an electricity resistant character feels shocks but doesn't get electricuted...etc (otherwise a fire-resistant character couldn't tell if something is hot and a cold-resistant character won't notice the difference between cooled drinks and warm drinks).

So I am to assume when you say they will feel the heat it is of a lesser extent than what the fire would actually be causing, correct? Because if you're near a large fire, you can feel the heat to a point where it is very uncomforitable without getting burned. Thats where I am a little confused. If you could simply tell that is was warm, then yes, but if you could feel the heat in the same amount, then it would still be quite uncomfortable. I also dont quite get how you could feel shocked, but not get electricuted. So would they feel the exact experience of the electricity and just not take any damage from it?

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2005 :  17:59:00  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would think that if the fire or heat were enough to hurt you, you would feel a little warm, though perhaps not uncomfortably so. Same with cold. I would imagine with acid resistance that you might feel some tingling in the area that touches the acid, so you know that something is there, but it doesn't actually damage the flesh.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000