Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Realmspeak
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Aelf
Acolyte

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2005 :  14:46:27  Show Profile Send Aelf a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Good day to all,

As a DM trying to capture the 'feeling' of the Realms I would ask if someone has put together a dictionary of phrases/words that help set the tone. I'm referring to items such as 'dawnfry' from Ed's writing - things (apart from locale and persona) that would immediately signal the players that they are elsewhere.

Apologies in advance if this isn't clear or has been asked and answered numerous times.

Highest regards,

Aelf, bard of the Realms

Regards,
Aelf, a bard of the Realms

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2005 :  15:35:42  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aelf, such a thing has never been compiled (and of course will never be complete). However, Ed's 2004 thread here (and this year's, too, to a lesser extent) includes many answers specifically devoted to Realms words and phrases.
I believe Kuje has compiled them as Word .doc files that you can global search.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2005 :  15:36:20  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed has given us some Realms specific words and they can be found in the files that are in the link in my sig. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2005 :  15:42:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Aelf, such a thing has never been compiled (and of course will never be complete).
Still, it would be quite the addition to any scribe's FR library...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2005 :  18:26:15  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do have such a compilation-in-progress, but it's far from complete even given available sources. Here are some terms from the main glossary:
quote:
armsman; Art, the Art; battered dwarf weather; bladesharp; blurf; breath; a breath or two; cantel; clack; codloose winker; coin; crawhorn; crazed-wits; darburl; darkblade; dining-house; evenfeast; Fair Folk, the; fancy-tale; farscry; festhall; fielding; filidar; finesmith; finework; gate; glim; goblinkin; a goodly breath or three; gulletfire; a handful of years; heartstop; high-coin; highsun; hiresword; Invisible Art, the; kell; lackspell; lackwit; lalandath; lay down coin; lay down good coin; light stone; longhorn; mage of power; MageFair; mageling; moon-witted; painquench; portal; pot meal; Power, the Power; Quick Folk, the; Quiet Folk, the; rivvim; scorchkettle; seamaster; short name; slayknife; slyblade; songhorn; spellwork; spurnarmor; stonedelve; Stout Folk, the; strongarm; swordwork; tallglass; talltankard; tantan; tenday; thael; throatslake; truename; Underdark, the; underpriest; upperpriest; ward; Weave, the; wildblade; winterchill fever; yarting
Then (in theory!) there are greetings, farwells, oaths, other exclamations, and regional and racial speech, and a list of archaic English commonly employed. I quite agree this would be a great resource, but putting it together it is a read-all-of-everything proposition.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2005 :  03:38:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aye! A worthy listing indeed Faraer.

Would it be possible to provide some definitions for the less-obvious terms?

Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2005 :  19:06:30  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A task that I have also thought about undertaking, Faraer, after reading "Hand of Fire" - which contained plenty of them. Just don´t forget 'blandreth' from the list

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2005 :  20:35:21  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If anyone is really serious about compiling a Realms glossary, private-message me.

Any of them in particular, Sage?

Edited by - Faraer on 06 Jun 2005 20:37:08
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2005 :  02:12:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Consider it done.

And just for the record, what does "blandreth" refer to? 'Tis been a while since I read Hand of Fire.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2005 :  04:16:54  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd love to get involved in this but time constraints won't let me at the moment. Glad to help out in any, less time-consuming ways, however. Keep me in the loop!

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2005 :  16:20:02  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Consider it done.

And just for the record, what does "blandreth" refer to? 'Tis been a while since I read Hand of Fire.

Apparently it is a sort of cauldron. I think it is hung over fire by a chain attached to a tripod? I am not 100% certain of this myself, but I seem to recall it was used to make 'dawnfry'.

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2005 :  16:21:52  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Aelf, such a thing has never been compiled (and of course will never be complete). However, Ed's 2004 thread here (and this year's, too, to a lesser extent) includes many answers specifically devoted to Realms words and phrases.
I believe Kuje has compiled them as Word .doc files that you can global search.
love,
THO

Ah, if only english was my native language, I could use all those wonderful Realmsian words during play (it would sound a bit silly if I did). 'Wisebeard', 'Boldblade', etcetera... I love the way Ed (and his players, of course ;) come up with them

Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2005 :  21:05:49  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

quote:

Consider it done.

Apparently it is a sort of cauldron. I think it is hung over fire by a chain attached to a tripod? I am not 100% certain of this myself, but I seem to recall it was used to make 'dawnfry'.

Hmm... my notes, which I took at the time of reading Hand of Fire associate "blandreth" with some sort of alchemical mixture smiths use to treat metal with for the purpose of etching... It has been a while sinds I read the novel, I might be off...
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2005 :  02:26:08  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mumadar Ibn Huzal

quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

quote:

Consider it done.

Hmm... my notes, which I took at the time of reading Hand of Fire associate "blandreth" with some sort of alchemical mixture smiths use to treat metal with for the purpose of etching... It has been a while sinds I read the novel, I might be off...

Actually, that sounds familiar now. I'll have to take a look myself...

Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2005 :  15:45:42  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought blandreht referred to some sort of cooking pot as well. I remember the Dark Blade of Doom was posing as a seller of blandreths and was worried about the caravan guards seeing the rust that was forming on them.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2005 :  20:23:53  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe that the rust mentioned is caused by the acidic Blandreth on the containers used to transport it in. Sort of a dead-giveaway on the content of the containers...
Go to Top of Page

thom
Seeker

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2005 :  20:59:47  Show Profile Send thom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
IIRC from One of Ed's WOTC columns or on the "Ask Ed" thread here, a blandreth is a 3-legged iron cauldron, which sits directly over a fire and can be used to "simmer" foodstuffs or even drinks for a long period of time, similar (I'm guessing) to how medieval peasants kept a porridge ready to eat all day...but the "on a chain" might also be right...

Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2005 :  14:27:05  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thom

IIRC from One of Ed's WOTC columns or on the "Ask Ed" thread here, a blandreth is a 3-legged iron cauldron, which sits directly over a fire and can be used to "simmer" foodstuffs or even drinks for a long period of time, similar (I'm guessing) to how medieval peasants kept a porridge ready to eat all day...but the "on a chain" might also be right...

Aye, we need to ask Ed again if there is any length of chain involved

I recall from the 'Hand of Fire' that three legs and chain were mentioned, but then again, my memory is detoriating at an alarming rate, so I might be wrong.

Go to Top of Page

evildmguy
Acolyte

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2008 :  15:44:09  Show Profile  Visit evildmguy's Homepage Send evildmguy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is an AWESOME list! Has anyone compiled it into a more formal listing that they would be willing to share?

I just finished Blackstaff tower and loved the words they had for cursing in there and want to add them as my campaign switches over to the Realms.

Thanks!

edg
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
729 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2010 :  20:05:37  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*casts Thread Necromancy*

Lest knowledge like this gets lost, fellow scribes, is it not high time that this cause be championed again. Or are we to sleep 'till highsun every day of the tenday? I'd be happy to compile a scroll for the purpose, if I can have some help...

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2010 :  23:49:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sure. What do you need?

Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
729 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2010 :  11:46:03  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sure. What do you need?

I'll start (in a day or so, away from notes currently) with a list in glossary format. Comments, corrections and additions, as well as sources (meaning scribes that have lists that don't read this scroll and therefore need to be contacted) I can contact can follow from there.

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2010 :  00:01:29  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would love to see these compiled here! It would help me with some of my games, too!

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
729 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2010 :  07:01:46  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fristly, a few notes on the format:
Since it is in the form of a glossary, it is the phrase/word in question, followed by what language it is in, followed by a description, followed by one or more source/s.
If the phrase/word is possibly non-canonical, it is preceded by an asterisk (*), and I expect help and/or confirmation/denial of its canon use.
Included are swear words, and I have tried to censor them partially. If this is inadequate, please moderators, let me know (or edit as appropriate).

Glossary of Phrases, Sayings, and Words of the Realms (Unconfirmed)

Final Edit: Please see Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms

Edited by - Kyrene on 08 Aug 2021 18:12:43
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
729 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2010 :  07:13:03  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The above short list (for now) is only what I have needed to use personally. I have notes on more words, but have not yet edited them into this format. I suspect that once the list grows to a substantial size, I can open a dedicated scroll for it. Any submissions to the list can be done via a post here (regardless of the format, as long as I can edit it), PM or email. If I have not received submissions from scribes (that have in the past indicated that they too have lists) within two weeks, I shall start pestering them via PMs. I would also hope to collate all past "Ask Ed" responses with glossaries or 'Realmspeak' by the end of this year.

Go to Top of Page

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
372 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2010 :  18:55:20  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage Send Daviot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met Kyrene,

I've collected some words and phrases in my followings here at the 'Keep, so I'll see if I can dig some out. These may take a few posts.

Heartlands/Widespread Common Slang (as copied from Ed/THO):

•“kell” means ‘try,’ but is only used when whatever is being tried is unfinished, nigh-impossible, tricky or dangerous, or there’s some doubt as to whether whoever’s trying it will ever accomplish it (and “kell” is used unchanged regardless of tense, and sometimes also in place of the word “done,” as in: “You’re not going to kell stealing THAT, are you?” and “Kell such feats often, have you?”). Polite speech sticks to ‘try’ and ‘tried’ and ‘done,’ leaving “kell” for cynical, disbelieving, or openly derisive speech (“Kings always SAY they’ll clean all monsters out of the woods. Oh, and they KELL, too, for a tenday, each of them, sometimes sending more than one knight to do it, too.”)

•“stlarn” and “stlarning” are fairly polite equivalents for the f-word, of about the blasphemous strength of ‘darn!’ and see use where we might say “screwing up” (They can’t kell one simple task without stlarning up!) or (for Brits) “bloody alarm clock!” (stlarning time-bells!)

•a “codloose winker” is a lecher (derivation: a winking man with a loose or often-removed codpiece)

•a “darkblade” is a mercenary (“hiresword”) demonstrably lacking in principles or loyalty to a patron who’s hired him

•a “scorchkettle” is a woman who delivers impressively blistering words to someone in public (usually because she’s quick-tempered). Also used to describe someone of either gender who engages in too many tiresome histrionics when negiotiating a purchase or sale.

•“gulletfire” is bad beer or wine, whereas “throatslake” is any drinkable that takes care of thirst and doesn’t cause illness in doing so, but isn’t particularly pleasant to drink

•a “spurnarmor” is either a woman with a spectacular figure, or a well-endowed man (as in: “If I had those, I’d be a spurnarmor too!” or: “Galad! What a spurnarmor!”)

•“Galad!” is the current Heartlands replacement for “Zooks!” or “Zounds!” or any nonsense word used as an “I’m astonished” or “I’m impressed” expression . . . and Elminster probably brought “Gadzooks!” and “Zounds!” into the Realms from his our-real-world visits centuries back, so in the Realms they HAVEN’T developed from “God’s wounds!”

•“glim” means “beautiful in an eye-catching way” (flashy)

•“lalandath” means agile, sleek, lithe, and is often said of dancers or women whose beauty is accentuated by their movements (so a well-built but sleekly-dancing tavern dancer might be described as: “WHAT a glimmer! A lalandath spurnarmor, glim enough to leave every man in the place rivvim, and my codpiece itching!”)

so, of course:
•“rivvim” means “lust” or “lusty” (As in: “I’m fair rivvim when I looks upon her.”)

•“badaulder” (pronounced BAH-doll-durr, with a lilt in the word) is the western Heartlands expression for “bullshit!” or “hogwash!” (closer to the second, and its usage is creeping into Cormyr right now, headed for Sembia, the Dales, and the Moonsea)

•“haularake!” (pronounced HALL-ah-rake, and said very quickly, as if it has but one syllable) is the all-faiths, acceptable in polite society equivalent of “God damn it!” (or perhaps “God damn it all, anyway!”)

•“thael” means glad, or pleasant, or heart-lifting (As in “I’m always thael to see her,” or “That feast was right thael” or “I always get that moment of thael, when I look down from the ridge and see
. . . home.”)

•"darburl" (pronounced DAR-burl) Angry, as in "I'm rght darburl, just now," or "He makes me proper darburl, that one"; a socially polite way of signaling displeasure.

•"nandra" means "could be better" or "Looks mediocre to me". Also used when dickering over the price of good, especially perishables, to mean that they're not of the best quality or are close to spoiling.

•"waelo", a greeting with the connotation that "Hey there, I want to make a deal!" or "I'm interested in your wares," or "Anyone want to do a little business".

One usually has far more to fear from the soft-spoken wizard with a blade and well-worn boots than from the boisterous one in the ivory tower.
My Tabletop Writing CV.
Go to Top of Page

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
372 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2010 :  19:37:39  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage Send Daviot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
More Realmspeak (and some terminology), this time pulled from the 3.0 FRCS:

•Zor/Zora: general form of address/honorific for Mulmaster nobility

•Syl: general honorific for Calishite nobility

•Saer: general honorific for people of uncertain rank. [Note: From what I've seen, some folk will apply saer in a more general sense to just about anybody. Adventurers, even if commoners technically, generally don't like to be called "Goodman". Canon status of this might be under debate.]

•"Well met": Most common greeting/farewell in Common.

•"Oloré" ("oh-LOR-ay"): Common greeting/farewell around the Sea of Fallen Stars.

•"Sweet water and light laughter until next we meet", a translation of the elven "Lisse`alus ent laema`lalaith tenna lle aelouva.*", a phrase under adoption by trendy human nobles, using as a farewell.
*[From the compiled Faerûnian Elven Dictionary.]

•"I go.": Dwarven greeting/farewell, presumably a direct translation of the Dwarven. Also common with merchants of all races.

•"Elf day": The Dales' term for the tenth day of a tenday, taken by some to be a non-holiday day of rest.

•"Dragon-rest": The Cormyrean term for the tenth day of a tenday, from the saying "Even a dragon has to rest."
[Note: The FRCS notes that there's no universal term for this day of the week.]

•"Ghost hold": One of numerous country cottages, manors, and similar in the backwoods of the Central Dales (Battledale, Mistledale, etc.), typically built or purchased by Cormyrean or Sembian nobility as hunting lodges and typically abandoned. Monsters and bandits typically use the ghost holds as lairs and hideouts.

•"Zhent": A person originating from Zhentil Keep, though the term is used more broadly for citizens, soldiers, and members of the Zhentarim. "Zhentish" means much the same. Earlier sourcebooks use it, but 3.0 mentions it as being derisive.

•"Zhentilar": A slightly-outdated but still in use term to refer to the army of Zhentil Keep, to distinguish them from the Zhentarim.

•"Zhentarim": A member of the eponymous secret society or the society itself. Zhentarim can be in/associated with the army or independent operators.

•"Wychlaran": the proper Rashemi term for the organization of female spellcasters commonly termed "The Witches of Rashemen"

•"Hathran": ("learned sister/sisterhood") Rashemi term for a full-ranking member of the Wychlaran.

•"blethran": ("sisterkin") Rashemi term for a Wychlaran novice.

•"othlor": ("true ones") Rashemi term for the female Wychlaran elders/leaders of the organization.

•"Vremyonni": ("old ones") Rashemi term for the cloistered male spellcasters of Rashemen.

•"dajeema": Rashemi term for a year-long pilgrimage/coming-of-age journey that most [presumably well-to-do] Rashemi take.

•"tharch": One of the major counties/administrative provinces of Thay.

•"tharchion": An appointed civil leader of a Thayan tharch, about equivalent to a count or margrave.

•"autharch": A bureaucrat/minister to a tharchion.

•"zulkir": One of the ruling members of the Red Wizards, and by extension one of the magocratic oligarchs of Thay. There is one zulkir for each of the schools of arcane magic.

•"Faerzress": Drow term for the ambient magical radiation that suffuses most of the Underdark, interfering with divinatory and transportative magics.

•"doom": term for a lich's (or other powerful sentient undead) lair or demesne. Usually used in the form of "[Name]doom".

One usually has far more to fear from the soft-spoken wizard with a blade and well-worn boots than from the boisterous one in the ivory tower.
My Tabletop Writing CV.
Go to Top of Page

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
372 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2010 :  19:44:04  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage Send Daviot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
More Realmspeak (and gestures) from Ed, pulled from one of his old Around the Realms articles:
Dwarf Common:
•"A little down!"—(originally accompanied by letting a sparse handful of sand or gravel fall from one's palm)—means "So it goes!" (Or, to modern, real-world speakers, a variant on "That's the way the cookie crumbles!")
•"A fair fallhammer!"—something satisfyingly good, such as a meal, a brawl, a decision, or victorious confrontation.
•"Curlbeard"—something bitter or disgusting in taste or smell, or something nauseating.
•"Darrown" (pronounced "darr-OW-nn")—noble, superb, supremely dwarf-like and praiseworthy (even an act or the speech of a non-dwarf, such as an elf risking his life to save a dwarf in battle).
•"Galakkur"—applied to anything messy, untidy, or sloppy. It's derived from the name of a legendary dwarf who did everything fast but in slapdash manner, heedless of even obvious consequences. The real Galakkur lived some eight centuries ago. Tavern-tales give him various, improbably sticky ends. His misdeeds have been greatly exaggerated since by the addition of many invented tales of his life and doings.
•"Goldnose"—haughty (behavior called "highnose" by any human in the Realms not a member of, or trying to pretend membership in, the upper classes). Dwarves find such behavior contemptible in elves and amusingly silly when practiced by humans.
•"Ho! That one had teeth in it!"—used in commentary on anything large and uncomfortable such as a belch, breaking wind, a blow to the head, or a fall.
•"Mardarl"—an effort to hide something, either physically or by withholding information (or twisting a conversation onto another topic, right now). An example would be a false name, particularly when used to conceal gender (for instance, a female dwarf using a name such as Brokh or Garlfang to make non-dwarves think they're dealing with a male).
•"Ogurkh" (pronounced "OH-gurk")—something unbelievable, insane, monumentally stupid, or the result of crazed, dunderheaded, or scarcely-to-be-believed actions. "Blazing proper ogurkh" is an exasperated dwarf's straining-to-stay-polite comment on something that really upsets or irks him. "Burns me ogurkh" is the dwarven equivalent of "sticks in my craw."
•"Paerth" (pronounced "PAIR-urth")—the disgusted equivalent of balderdash, piffle, not bloody likely, or fat chance!
•"Shards!"—a gentle oath derived from the loss of a gemstone or good building-stone that breaks into fragments. It's the equivalent of a real-world speaker saying, "darn it all!" or a similarly mild expletive.
•"Sprendle"—a trick, prank, or deliberate misdirection, especially if lighthearted and harmless or meant to prevent a confrontation.
•"Tarunter" (sometimes "a proper tarunter")—a word to describe anything pretentious or fussy (such as elven dancing and most human festival celebrations or "goldnose" etiquette). Dwarves never apply this word to religious customs, dress, or rituals, even of a human faith they barely understand or that seems fussy at first glance.
•"Unbearded"—foolish talk or deeds (an "unbearded one" is a fool, "full-unbearded" is a mad dwarf). Dwarves never apply this word to non-dwarves (because, as the old dwarf joke goes, all non-dwarves can safely be assumed to be fools until proven otherwise, and such proof appears for only a handful of individuals once or twice a century). Something that's "fair unbearded" is reckless or dangerous.
•"Vellamorn"—treasure, valuables, hidden wealth. Originally a silly euphemism for gold used in dwarf rhymes and jests (derived from the name of a fictitious dwarf maiden in a ballad who wore only gowns made of linked gold coins). This has become a code-word for dwarves wanting to discuss (for example) gold coins without saying "gold coins" where others might overhear.

My Tabletop Writing CV.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2010 :  23:48:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I should like to make a suggestion for this collection of Realms-specific terminology... For each word or phrase, notate next to it where it came from (Ed, the FRCS, whatever). Doing that means that once someone takes the time to alphabetize all of these terms, we still have a source for every one of them.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2010 :  00:57:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I should like to make a suggestion for this collection of Realms-specific terminology... For each word or phrase, notate next to it where it came from (Ed, the FRCS, whatever). Doing that means that once someone takes the time to alphabetize all of these terms, we still have a source for every one of them.

I agree.

I've managed something similar with my own glossary of Realms terms for my home campaigns, so it shouldn't be too much of a stretch to apply the same trend with this online listing.

Additionally, it might be worth assigning specific categories for certain terms to individual scribes.

I know from my own experiences collating such info, that it can be difficult to catch EVERYTHING. So maybe having scribes focus specifically on certain categories, will make it easier for both old and new participants, to contribute.

Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
729 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2010 :  18:01:43  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daviot

Well met Kyrene,

I've collected some words and phrases in my followings here at the 'Keep, so I'll see if I can dig some out. These may take a few posts.

My thanks
quote:

More Realmspeak (and some terminology), this time pulled from the 3.0 FRCS:

More thanks
quote:

More Realmspeak (and gestures) from Ed, pulled from one of his old Around the Realms articles:

And more thanks. I shall add these to the list as soon as I can.
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Good idea, Wooly! I have done so for my original list, and will try as far as possible to keep such references in the alphabetized master list I am building up.
quote:

Additionally, it might be worth assigning specific categories for certain terms to individual scribes.

I know from my own experiences collating such info, that it can be difficult to catch EVERYTHING. So maybe having scribes focus specifically on certain categories, will make it easier for both old and new participants, to contribute.

Once more scribes volunteer to help, of course.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000