Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Riddles for a dwarven realm
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Manxam
Acolyte

Denmark
6 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2005 :  22:56:21  Show Profile  Visit Manxam's Homepage Send Manxam a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I am planning a site based adventure for my group in some old dwarven mines in the Silvermarches that leads to a long forgotten dwarven city. I need some riddles wich could make the site even more funny and more exciting. Is there any one who knows some good (dwarf)riddles out there?
Any answer will be higly appreciated!

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2005 :  23:44:30  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Riddles like puzzels.

Things like these could be pushing runes in order to craft items, or the value of ores. The most important tool to the least important one.

Riddles like why is a Drow worth like a shadow?

Things of entertainment as to things like traps.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2005 :  01:38:50  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First, look online for geology sites for some inspirations, then pick up (or download a copy from WotC's site) Volo's Guide to All Things Magical. There is a very comprehensive section on the magical properties of gemstones. Either of these will make for some great riddles (and a few traps, if you're devious enough! )

Melfius, Pixie-Priest of Puck - Head Chef, The Faerie Kitchen, Candlekeep Inn
"What's in his pockets, besides me?"
Read a tale of my earlier days! - Happiness Comes in Small Packages
Go to Top of Page

Manxam
Acolyte

Denmark
6 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2005 :  12:54:53  Show Profile  Visit Manxam's Homepage Send Manxam a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had in mind that the whole site should be a connection of riddles wich needed to be solved to get into the old dwarven city. The dwarves would'nt want anyone to get to their city.

The thing about the gemstones and craftings are good ideas, which i will look into.

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2005 :  14:22:09  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm hard yet soft, I'm coloured yet clear, I am fruity and sweet, I am jelly, what am I?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2005 :  17:16:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kaladorm

I'm hard yet soft, I'm coloured yet clear, I am fruity and sweet, I am jelly, what am I?

A politician?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Beowulf
Learned Scribe

Canada
322 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2005 :  18:14:59  Show Profile  Visit Beowulf's Homepage Send Beowulf a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Here is one drawn from the Exeter Riddles (a collection of Anglo-Saxon riddles), which is guarenteed to make you blush ....

"Often I open wide to that which pricks against me, when, wound with rings, I press firmly against a hard one; pierced from the rear, I push for what my lord hopes to get a midnight."

The common interpretation is that the riddle is spoken by a keyhole, and its about a key unlocking a lock to get at a treasure, but we all know what it *sounds* like.

"Ill tempered the wretch, who laughs at everyone. He cannot recognize, as he should, that he is not without faults." the High One, Poetic Edda
Go to Top of Page

Beowulf
Learned Scribe

Canada
322 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2005 :  18:34:00  Show Profile  Visit Beowulf's Homepage Send Beowulf a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Here's another Exeter Riddle, perhpas more dwarf-oriented ...

The Womb of the wold, wet and cold, bore me at first, brought me forth. I know in my mind my making was not thorugh skill with fells or fleeces of wool; there was no winding of wefts, there is no woof in me, no thread thrumming under the thrash of strokes, no whirring shuttle steered through me, no weaver's reed rapped my sides. The worms that braid the broidered silk with fate-deemed cunning did not weave me; and yet anywhere over the earth's breadth men will attest me a trustworthy garment.

Say truly supple minded man, wise in words, what is my name?

(suggested answer, a coat of mail)

Ah man, then there's one, ot unlike the first I posted, but the answer to this one is beleived to be *a key*.

"Ill tempered the wretch, who laughs at everyone. He cannot recognize, as he should, that he is not without faults." the High One, Poetic Edda
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2005 :  10:00:29  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Manxam

I am planning a site based adventure for my group in some old dwarven mines in the Silvermarches that leads to a long forgotten dwarven city. I need some riddles wich could make the site even more funny and more exciting. Is there any one who knows some good (dwarf)riddles out there?

The Exter Book of Riddles, in paperback from Penguin if I recall correctly, is THE sourcebook for medieval riddles. They are archaicly phrased and some do require a respectable Wisdom score to answer correectly.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2005 :  17:25:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

quote:

The Exter Book of Riddles, in paperback from Penguin if I recall correctly, is THE sourcebook for medieval riddles. They are archaicly phrased and some do require a respectable Wisdom score to answer correectly.

Does it provide answers, too, or are those left to the reader?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2005 :  19:42:34  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

quote:

Does it provide answers, too, or are those left to the reader?

Q & A, although a few riddles have more than one solution. (The latter might be a useful tool for the GM -- one "solution" might be disemminated to the world at large, but the correct solution might be a closely-guarded secret. Answer with "the public key" and a certain thing happens; answer with the "private key" and full access is granted.)

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2005 :  01:15:48  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I commend to your attention a Dragon advertiser: http://riddles.cloudkingdom.com. Note especially their role playing books of adventure-riddles, "Riddle Rooms."

Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2005 :  14:15:05  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just type the word "riddle" or "puzzle" on AltaVista or Google and you will have hundreds of potent riddles and puzzles thrown in your face... I have used it extensively... It works and can provide several hours of great fun...

"When dragons make war, worlds can only tremble in the shadow of angry wings"
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2005 :  16:18:40  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I played a dwarf once that constantly made goblin jokes, ok, ok, they aren't riddles, but I thought I'd post a few anyway...

How do you keep a goblin from walking around in circles ?
Nail its other foot to the floor.

How can you keep a goblin from falling through a trap door?
Stick a javelin through it's head.

How many goblins does it take to knock down a wall?
It depends how hard you throw them.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

RAKKIR
Seeker

61 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2005 :  21:38:02  Show Profile  Visit RAKKIR's Homepage Send RAKKIR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do believe the Exeter Riddles (or at least most of them) can also be found here for free:
http://www.technozen.com/exeter/1-10.htm
Go to Top of Page

ode904
Learned Scribe

Finland
193 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2005 :  07:56:39  Show Profile Send ode904 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's one. It's not about dwarves, but that makes it difficult for dwarves. Or to them who enter their compound and presume 'dwarven' riddles:

It has two arms, six legs, four eyes.

ok that's easy one, but using this you can make lots of more riddles, or just make 'tis better.

Answer is knight with horse(I forgot one part of the riddle)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000