Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 is jarlaxle good or evil?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

ChieftainTwilight
Learned Scribe

171 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2011 :  13:17:52  Show Profile Send ChieftainTwilight a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

I never said it was purely for sociopaths, but an "evil" outlook indicates some serious retardation in the moral development ladder. Someone stuck in or between the stages of not knowing the difference between good and bad, or doing whatever they feel they can get away with. I am basing this on the Kohlberg principles of moral development, BTW, which are pretty accurate, and would be as applicable in the Realms as they would in any other world. Morality- at least as we know it- is universal. As for Eliath, he's one who might teeter between evil, and neutral- not because of his love for his daughter, (which is based as much on his own failure with the moonblade and his hope for her as his heir as it is on actual love) but because he does have concern for his fellow elves, to some extent. He is loyal to Evermeet's royal family, and has acted to aid Arilyn and Danilo a few times. This shows that he has at least learned the "you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours" reasoning of stage two (see below for this). If being miserly with compassion was all it took to be evil, than most of the world would be. That's simply not the case. To be truly evil, one would have to be stuck in moral infancy, as described below.

Morally, most evil people seem stuck in the first major stage of moral development, between ages five to ten. Not that they have the intellect of that age, but the moral development of someone of that age. A five-year-old can determine when something is "bad", but will often still do it if they think they will not be punished. They view moral rules as fixed and absolute, handed down by adults or "god". Young children base their moral judgments solely on consequences. They also show no concern for the welfare of others. There is no concern over what is fair or just. (Stealing is bad, even if it's stealing food to feed starving children.) This is the first stage. This stage would cover all of the evil alignments. Most "evil" people, no matter how well-adjusted and intelligent, would fall here, because they see only that rules are there to punish. They break them when and if they think they won't suffer any punishment. They would not care if the theft was for starving kids. Hence, they are evil. NE best fits this moral stage, but the other two evil alignments would as well.

The second stage is seen in older children, (usually at or after age ten) and views morality as subjective- this is when a child understands that what one person thinks is "right", another may see as "wrong". (Such as stealing food to feed a starving family.) They can see the right to pursue individual interests over simple "law". what is right for an individual is what meets his own self-interests. They also see morality as a fair exchange or fair deal. This is where I think Jarlaxle falls. He's beyond mere consequences or laws, or authority, but not yet into the higher stages of moral reasoning that "good" aligned people would fit into. He does what is right for him, though it might not necessarily fall into what society views as right, and he returns favors. A more neutral outlook, to be sure. Possibly still with some "evil" tendencies, but it covers most of the neutral alignments well- CN, especially.

The third stage is all about motivation. As they become teens, children learn that interpersonal feelings such as love, trust, and concern for others play a part in moral judgments. They begin to think that people should live up to the expectations of family and community, and behave in "good" ways. This means having good motives. (The theft of the food was good because the intentions were to save a starving family.) This would still be a neutral alignment stage, but leaning toward good. Might best be termed as LN or possibly CG, however. Incidentally, I think Drizzt might fall here.

Stage four is about maintaining social order. This is where doing "good" to obey laws, and having concern for others outside one's personal sphere of relationships. Most of the good alignments fit here. This is also where respect for authority and doing one's duty comes in. These people understand that the motives in stealing the food are good, but they don't condone the theft, because it breaks society's rules.

And then you have the fifth stage, where people question the morality of society as a whole, and the morality of the law. This is where LG would likely fall. They recognize the need for laws, but they also don't want a totalitarian rule of authority that prevents people from doing what is morally right. It recognizes the rights to freedom, life, and to be protected from unfair laws. They would say that the lives being saved are more important than the property stolen. They would also say that it doesn't matter if it was their family or a stranger, it would still be one's duty to do so. This is definitely the spot for most paladins!

I honestly have to disagree, almost completely. while it makes sense on a scientific level for sure, I for one don't claim to be scientist (I'm more of a Philosopher). and the reasons I disagree with this theory are the same reasons I dislike the sliding-scale Alignment System that 4th edition D&D uses.

you see, Morality is NOT unversal! it is in fact Subjective. I've not doubt, for example,that I'd be placed somewhere in between stage 2 and stage 3 of this system here, but to be honest I don't specifically fall anywhere on it; I am a complex individual (as are most people) and as such my "Moral Devolepoment" is all over that chart.

coincidentally (or is it?) that 5-level development chart is very similar to 4th ed D&D's Alignment System. it's not a perfect overlap, but it could totally replace it with minimal adaptation.

also, I'd lik eto point out that your stage 5 sounds alot more like CG to me than LG. XD stage 4 seems LG though.

look, Alignment is alot more fluid and Subjective than you are suggesting. you can't just saythat it's a linear progression of develoment, based on some kind of Objective Universal Standard o right and wrong! Good translates as "General Benevolence" and Evil translates as "General Malevolence". Lawful is Ordered and authoritarian, while Chaotic is Wild and Libertarian, even Anarchic. other than that, the details can very from person to person.

and a heart can only break so many times
and I've been to hell and back so many times
and I've seen folks walk away so many times
but just like anyone else I gotta stand up by myself
a heart can only break so many times
Go to Top of Page

AleksanderTheGreat
Seeker

90 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2011 :  18:11:48  Show Profile Send AleksanderTheGreat a Private Message
Morality IS universal... in DnD.

Fighting for order! - Join me in the battle!
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2011 :  19:58:38  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message
The point of the stages is that most individuals, while they may show thought processes of higher or lower stages at different points in time, generally DO show a consistant level of morality. In fact, the point you mention about morality being subjective is part of the 2nd stage of development- the people who can recognize that different people can have different views of what is "right".

Also, there is a SIXTH stage (which I left out, since it is more abstract) where the person is able to ask questions determining what the "universal" ideals of morality and society should be. concepts like right to life, freedom to one's own opinions, and the ability to pursue one's own path are determined at that stage. But it was basically beyond the scope of the discussion, so I did not include it. Hence, moraility IS universal, as most people can agree to certain basic moral principles.

Alignment is not as subjective as you may think. while every person is complex and does not act the same in all situations (not even Jarlaxle does) they will also exhibit tendencies toward certain types of behavior patterns. Some patterns are considered "good" while others are "evil". Alignment is simply where a person falls MOST OF THE TIME, not ALL of the time. Jarlaxle does not CONSISTANTLY fall on either end of the spectrum, hence he should be neutral.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2011 :  00:37:37  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ChieftainTwilight

why is it some of you think "cares only about himself" means Neutral, or that "self-serving isn't evil"? SELFISHNESS AND LACK OF COMPASSION ARE EVIL TRAITS!

Neutral is more of a "at least it wasn't me, but I'm not gonna ignore the plight of others" kinda deal, or else such a polarized duality of both extremes "sometimes I'm a Beast and othertimes I'm Saintly" that you can't rightly place them one way or the other.

if you realy don't care about others, you are Evil, regardless of whether you actively go about harming others.

I still say Jarlaxle is CN with strong Evil tendencies.

Not in Dungeons and dragons.
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2011 :  06:53:44  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message
I find Jarlaxle to be inherently good but extremely flawed and prone to behaving "evilly." I admit, I really like the character and their maybe bias in me saying so.

I've always thought its much more difficult to be always good than it is always evil, and ive seen enough good in him to think that it is the real J

Neutral seems like a nice compromise, but I don't think neutral can really be defined by averaging good and evil.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2011 :  07:05:56  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message
Fair enough, Alystra. I still disagree strongly about his alignment, as beyond the canon guides listing him as evil I believe his actions speak more towards a ruthless, evil, self serving individual than anything else. Perhaps if I was shown any evidence that he considered Luskan a tragedy(not just a failure, as that still simply shows he's sorry he couldn't have bled more gold out of the city), then I'd be more inclined to list him as neutral.

Now, just incase I've given the impression otherwise; I like Jarlaxle. In fact I like him more than any of RAS' other mainstays. He and Athrogate were the only things that made Gauntlgrym readable. And I like him because he's such an evil bastard. If it turns out he's running some sort of charity off the books, I'll like him a lot less.

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2011 :  13:38:48  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message
The beautiful thing about neutrality is the ability to do both good and evil interchangably. Jarlaxle represents this to the fullest, as well as everything else about chaotic neutral.

Particularly "following his whims", which he always does. Leaving his profitable organization behind in the hands of a crafty subordinate just so he could dally along on the surface for fun reeks of chaotic neutral.

The war in Luskan was going to happen no matter what(as was explained in the book) He merely positioned himself to profit from it. As explained under the alignment, a chaotic neutral character would not join in such actions to help liberate the people(Which would be good), nor would he do it merely to watch people suffer(which would be evil). But he would do it to satisfy his own whims.

We have seen enough examples of him doing good deeds and bad deeds(Although other than Luskan, his bad deeds almost exclusively target those already in the evil world) to label him neutral. And he is without any shadow of a doubt aligned "chaotic". He is far from chaotic evil, but a poster boy for chaotic neutral.
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2011 :  14:06:48  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message
Ahhhh found some of the other sourcebook definitions.

quote:
Chaotic NeutralChaotic Neutral is called the "Anarchist" or "Free Spirit" alignment. A character of this alignment is an individualist who follows his or her own heart, and generally shirks rules and traditions. Although they promote the ideals of freedom, it is their own freedom that comes first. Good and Evil come second to their need to be free, and the only reliable thing about them is how totally unreliable they are. Chaotic Neutral characters are free-spirited and do not enjoy the unnecessary suffering of others, but if they join a team, it is because that team's goals coincide with their own. They invariably resent taking orders and can be very selfish in their pursuit of personal goals. A Chaotic Neutral character does not have to be an aimless wanderer; they may have a specific goal in mind, but their methods of achieving that goal are often disorganized, unorthodox, or entirely unpredictable.

quote:
Neutral EvilNeutral Evil is called the "Malefactor" alignment. Characters of this alignment are typically selfish and have no qualms about turning on their allies-of-the-moment. They have no compunctions about harming others to get what they want, but neither will they go out of their way to cause carnage or mayhem when they see no direct benefit to it. They abide by laws for only as long as it is convenient for them. A villain of this alignment can be more dangerous than either Lawful or Chaotic Evil characters, since he is neither bound by any sort of honor or tradition nor disorganized and pointlessly violent.

Examples are an assassin who has little regard for formal laws but does not needlessly kill, a henchman who plots behind his superior's back, or a mercenary who switches sides if made a better offer.

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2011 :  18:03:53  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message
Thing is, most of the good he's done(and admittedly I haven't read Sellswords) has been self serving and hasn't required great personal sacrifice. Whether it is simply to cultivate a good image or to help stop a giant dracolich or primordial from trying to kill him/rampaging around his surface playground, he's had a stake in the outcome. For a real life example, Al Capone ran a soup kitchen. For a comics example, Norman Osborn and The Hood helped save the world from the skrull invasion.

And the war happening in Luskan regardless doesn't matter; beyond the fact that it is extremely doubtful it would have happened as quickly or had caused damage on the scale it did without Jarlaxle's intervention, the fact remains he still set off the powder keg. Something else would have if he hadn't, but he still did it, so he still carries the responsibility.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
Go to Top of Page

ChieftainTwilight
Learned Scribe

171 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2011 :  18:19:57  Show Profile Send ChieftainTwilight a Private Message
aleksander, firestorm, shut it. you're both wrong. according to some DMs, sure it's universal. but in D&D as a whole it isn't. I'm DM in my games and I stick to a more realistic view of things. **** the mechanics and the rules and the pomp and the ritual. Alignment works better anyway when it's mor of a guideline than a hard-fast pidgeonhole.

andAlysstra, I am talking about CONSISTANTLY being on MORE THAN ONE LEVEL at the SAME TIME, but also NEVER realy belonging entirely in ANY of them! it just plain doesn't fit in those case,s does it? and those cases are EXTREMELY COMMON among people!

look, Alignment, Morality and Ethics arn't something you can peg on a chart or pidgeonhole people into! it's a fluid, subjective, complex thing!

to be fair, I'm biased. I know I am. but I have been absolutely convinced that the only "Universal Order" is the Order of the Universe, which is simply Chaos Theory. it is impossible to ignore the Law of Nature. artificial "order" cannot hold up. laws only matter if you can enforce them, which places the Law of the Jungle as supreme and unbreakable. Darwinism (survival of the fittest) is all that there is.

look, folks think that they can control nature, control life, "order" things. they want circles, cycles, patterns and to make them smaller and more contained. but it doesn't work that way. everyone has this BS end of the world fear about the Mayan Calander, but they aren't reading it right. it isn't Circles, it's SPIRALS! aye, things repeat themselves, but not exactly as before. revolution is not a never-ending constantly repeating circle, it's a Spiral of events, constantly PROGRESSING!

you could say that this goes way past the topic at hand, but it realy doesn't, because it's the fundamental basis of all my arguments. this has to be understood in order for my point to be clear, and for my arguments to make sense. Ma'at is Chaos Theory, and Alignment is Subjective. Good and Evil are not Objective Universal Forces, they are words with Subjective definitions created by creatures who just plain don't live on a level where they can comprehend Truth.

even God is only part of a greater Whole.

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2011 :  19:08:48  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message
CT- That chart is based on asking moral questions to children. (who are the primary ones used to determine moral development in a person as they grow and become more mature in their reasoning.) The basis for a person's placement in the stages is not based simply on their answer to a moral question, but on their REASONING behind it. A small childe stops (in most cases) at simply "Stealing is bad because you can get punished". An older child would say (to the question of whether it's right or wrong to steal food for a starving person, or to steal dan over-priced drug from the maker to save a loved one from dying) that it is wrong in the eyes of the person being stolen from, but would be the right thing to do for the person DOING the stealing, because the theft is balance by the fact they are saving someone. A 3rd level would recognize the motives behind the theft, and say that it was right, because it was motivated by love, or compassion, etc. And so on. The higher stage one reaches, the more complex and abstract one's reasoning fo rthe answer given. THAT is how it works. It's a measure of how mature and reasoned of a response a person gives for "is stealing food for a starving person bad". Or any other moral question one cares to use. It's subjective because it's the reason behind the answer that is important, not the answer itself. Each person will answer differently, but most people of certain age groups will have similar answers- that was the entire point behind the original study, and it still holds true. The fact that some people answer the same question at a different level of reasoning simply means that their moral outlook is GENERALLY that of the stage that most closely matches their "moral maturity". That doesn't mean they will ALWAYS answer at that level, just that it is their "normal" level of morality. If asked whether it's right to execute a person for killing someone who attacked them, they might give an entirely different answer and a more or less complex reason. The study entailed asking a series of such questions, and finding the most CONSISTENT stage of morality used for each answer. No one ever said psychology was simple. It's a complex subject, but it can be boiled down to its basic elements for categorizing types of behavior.

BTW, telling someone they're wrong is generally not a good way to reply to a discussion of this kind. They expressed their opinions, which is perfectly fine, and neither right or wrong. Please refrain from those types of comments.

Ah, Chaos Theory- a favorite subject of mine. You are aware that even chaos has patterns, yes? Part of the point of Chaos Theory is to find the underlying patterns or "order" within seemingly random events. The Butterfly Effect is the short-hand, but even it works by the basic laws of nature, which factors in weather patterns (which CAN be mapped and predicted), geographical features, time of year, position of the sun and moon, etc.... There may be many connecting factors, but the system as a whole will still obey the laws within the basic system itself. A comet has an orbit, even if it varies by degrees over time. A volcano that erupts is simply obeying the physical laws of thermodynamics and is merely releasing built-up pressure, which can be measured. They may appear to be chaotic events, but there is an order underneath, if one can but understand it. Human (or any other race) psychology is no different. There are hundreds of factors in how a person acts, but they will still fall into basic behavior patterns over the long run, based on their personal experiences, environment, and so on. It's a complex system, but a system none-the-less.

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2011 :  19:26:48  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message
Ahh. You can have and express your own opinion all you want, and I will try to have a friendly chat back and express my views, but refrain from telling those who do not agree with your opinion to "shut it"

Maybe you were speaking in jest. Maybe not. But let's keep that out of our nice forum okay?
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2011 :  19:40:59  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Asmodeus

Thing is, most of the good he's done(and admittedly I haven't read Sellswords) has been self serving and hasn't required great personal sacrifice. Whether it is simply to cultivate a good image or to help stop a giant dracolich or primordial from trying to kill him/rampaging around his surface playground, he's had a stake in the outcome. For a real life example, Al Capone ran a soup kitchen. For a comics example, Norman Osborn and The Hood helped save the world from the skrull invasion.

And the war happening in Luskan regardless doesn't matter; beyond the fact that it is extremely doubtful it would have happened as quickly or had caused damage on the scale it did without Jarlaxle's intervention, the fact remains he still set off the powder keg. Something else would have if he hadn't, but he still did it, so he still carries the responsibility.

One could easily argue that if he had not helped organize, deal information to, and position himself in the shadows of the faction, that the war that was coming no matter what would have happened more slowly, dragged on, and even more innocent people would have died while it dragged on and caused damage on a wider scale.

P.S I highly suggest reading the sellswords. Excellent books

Edited by - Firestorm on 08 May 2011 19:41:42
Go to Top of Page

AleksanderTheGreat
Seeker

90 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2011 :  20:12:43  Show Profile Send AleksanderTheGreat a Private Message
quote:
aleksander, firestorm, shut it.

Pardon?
quote:
you're both wrong

And you're rude.
quote:
according to some DMs, sure it's universal. but in D&D as a whole it isn't.

Yes it is. If not then why are there whole PLANES of "Good" and "Evil" and "Chaos" and "Law"?
quote:
look, Alignment, Morality and Ethics arn't something you can peg on a chart or pidgeonhole people into! it's a fluid, subjective, complex thing!

Sorry but this is DnD, not real world. Here such complex things just don't matter because this is a GAME, played by KIDS and because of that it is simple.
quote:
Good and Evil are not Objective Universal Forces

DnD isn't RL. In DnD Good and Evil ARE universal forces, don't you comprehend that?

Yes, maybe that assassin thinks that he isn't doing evil things because he is just trying to feed his family, but it doesn't matter to the Universe, his deeds are still evil because he is killing people for profit.

Edited by - AleksanderTheGreat on 08 May 2011 20:15:29
Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2011 :  21:23:40  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message

Everyone, please take a deep breath and tone it down. As Lady Alystra said, we must be civil if nothing else within Candlekeep. I think it is very important to address a number of issues here:

1. Jarlaxle is a character in the Forgotten Realms world.
2. The outer planes have nothing to do with how Jarlaxle works.
3. Jarlaxle is a creation of Bob Salvatore and as such, does whatever Bob desires him to do.
4. Several times we have come to the consensus that Jarlaxle is CN, but continue arguing it, which is beyond the topic of this thread.
5. Might/Could have/Maybe if/It's possible are all speculative. I think that everyone who has participated in this scroll with alacrity and passion have made their points. Consensus is never required in a thread, and it is seldom reached. Based on my count, CN is the majority opinion on Jarlaxle's alignment: ironic since that wasn't an option based on the thread's title.
6. Thomas B. hasn't even participated in this thread in a while. Honestly, I think we've argued this point to death, and some people are starting to degenerate into "I'm right and you must be wrong!" statements. Intellectual debate is good for everyone. Assertions are not.
7. Perhaps Sage or Wooly will consider this thread to have run its course and lock it accordingly. I welcome new insight into Jarlaxle, but we seem to have moved well beyond that.

If anyone has new insights into Jarlaxle's being, I welcome them. But I'm bowing out of this topic as a contributor as people are attacking reasoned responders and making broad assertions about what is and isn't factual.

Chosen, Firestorm, and Alystra, thank you as always for a well-argued discussion; I enjoyed it greatly.

Azuth, the First Magister
Lord of All Spells

The greatest expression of creativity is through Art.
Offense can never be given, only taken.

Edited by - Azuth on 08 May 2011 21:24:38
Go to Top of Page

AleksanderTheGreat
Seeker

90 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2011 :  21:41:25  Show Profile Send AleksanderTheGreat a Private Message
IMO, there is only one scribe that disrupts this discussion, so calming everyone is unnecessary.
I'm also for locking this thread. It was posted SIX YEAS AGO and there's nothing new there could be written on this topic (of course in six years probably new books with Jarlaxle came out so the answer could change).

Answering the question: Jarlaxle is deffinitly leaning more towards "evil" than "good" but (after reading the newest books) his probably neither.

Edited by - AleksanderTheGreat on 08 May 2011 21:47:32
Go to Top of Page

ChieftainTwilight
Learned Scribe

171 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2011 :  00:49:34  Show Profile Send ChieftainTwilight a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

CT- That chart is based on asking moral questions to children. (who are the primary ones used to determine moral development in a person as they grow and become more mature in their reasoning.) The basis for a person's placement in the stages is not based simply on their answer to a moral question, but on their REASONING behind it. A small childe stops (in most cases) at simply "Stealing is bad because you can get punished". An older child would say (to the question of whether it's right or wrong to steal food for a starving person, or to steal dan over-priced drug from the maker to save a loved one from dying) that it is wrong in the eyes of the person being stolen from, but would be the right thing to do for the person DOING the stealing, because the theft is balance by the fact they are saving someone. A 3rd level would recognize the motives behind the theft, and say that it was right, because it was motivated by love, or compassion, etc. And so on. The higher stage one reaches, the more complex and abstract one's reasoning fo rthe answer given. THAT is how it works. It's a measure of how mature and reasoned of a response a person gives for "is stealing food for a starving person bad". Or any other moral question one cares to use. It's subjective because it's the reason behind the answer that is important, not the answer itself. Each person will answer differently, but most people of certain age groups will have similar answers- that was the entire point behind the original study, and it still holds true. The fact that some people answer the same question at a different level of reasoning simply means that their moral outlook is GENERALLY that of the stage that most closely matches their "moral maturity". That doesn't mean they will ALWAYS answer at that level, just that it is their "normal" level of morality. If asked whether it's right to execute a person for killing someone who attacked them, they might give an entirely different answer and a more or less complex reason. The study entailed asking a series of such questions, and finding the most CONSISTENT stage of morality used for each answer. No one ever said psychology was simple. It's a complex subject, but it can be boiled down to its basic elements for categorizing types of behavior.

I'm still iffy. that seems inherently flawed, and at a level that tries to simplify something that is just plain not so simple. you've also just now admitted to me that you are trying to use this chart to say that Morality is not Subjective, evenw hen you also admit that the opinion of it being Objective lies outside the chart. that's circular logic.

to be clear, I mean to say that "X supports Y because Y supports X" isn't exactly waterproof logic.

quote:
BTW, telling someone they're wrong is generally not a good way to reply to a discussion of this kind. They expressed their opinions, which is perfectly fine, and neither right or wrong. Please refrain from those types of comments.

technically, he said the same thing. just without using the specific words "you are wrong" in the sentence. the implication was blatant. he was telling me that I'm simply wrong, on the grounds that he's right. again, "X supports Y because Y supports X" logic. in his cas, to justify his pride. I'm southern, we meet Pride with Pride. the thickest skull wins the verbal headbutt match, like two Goats on the Mountain. =w=

quote:
Ah, Chaos Theory- a favorite subject of mine. You are aware that even chaos has patterns, yes? Part of the point of Chaos Theory is to find the underlying patterns or "order" within seemingly random events. The Butterfly Effect is the short-hand, but even it works by the basic laws of nature, which factors in weather patterns (which CAN be mapped and predicted), geographical features, time of year, position of the sun and moon, etc.... There may be many connecting factors, but the system as a whole will still obey the laws within the basic system itself. A comet has an orbit, even if it varies by degrees over time. A volcano that erupts is simply obeying the physical laws of thermodynamics and is merely releasing built-up pressure, which can be measured. They may appear to be chaotic events, but there is an order underneath, if one can but understand it. Human (or any other race) psychology is no different. There are hundreds of factors in how a person acts, but they will still fall into basic behavior patterns over the long run, based on their personal experiences, environment, and so on. It's a complex system, but a system none-the-less.

oh yes, I know. that's kind of my point. Chaos has Patterns within itself, and if you realize th eimplication of the most basic law of Chaos Theor (you put any random sequence of numbers out to Infinite and a Pattern will inevitably emerge) you realize that the scope of the Universe goes completely over our heads. you also realize that it is already Ordered, and we Humans cannot offend that Order no matter how hard we try. our artificial "orders" are ALL doomed to failure because they don't stand up against the Laws of Nature.

Go to Top of Page

ChieftainTwilight
Learned Scribe

171 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2011 :  00:53:26  Show Profile Send ChieftainTwilight a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by AleksanderTheGreat

IMO, there is only one scribe that disrupts this discussion, so calming everyone is unnecessary.
I'm also for locking this thread. It was posted SIX YEAS AGO and there's nothing new there could be written on this topic (of course in six years probably new books with Jarlaxle came out so the answer could change).

Answering the question: Jarlaxle is deffinitly leaning more towards "evil" than "good" but (after reading the newest books) his probably neither.

this is where I'd smack you over the head. mostly because you remind me of my stepdad back before I moved to ohio (he insisted there was NEVER anything wrong with him, and that I was the problem, and so "family counciling" was unnessesary, I needed to just "fix myself"). but also because you are being a self-righteous asshole.

you're no less rude than I am. I'm just more blunt about it. coward.

same goes to you, firestorm.

so civil my ass. there's a time for civil and a time for Honour. **** the hypocrits.

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2011 :  01:08:09  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Firestorm

quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Asmodeus

One could easily argue that if he had not helped organize, deal information to, and position himself in the shadows of the faction, that the war that was coming no matter what would have happened more slowly, dragged on, and even more innocent people would have died while it dragged on and caused damage on a wider scale.

P.S I highly suggest reading the sellswords. Excellent books

See, that's the thing. As the war didn't happen without Jarlaxle, what would and wouldn't have happened without his involvement is impossible to say. Personally I don't think Waterdeep would have gotten involved and the Brotherhood would have cowed the captains fairly quickly with a show of force. I think that without Jarlaxle organizing them and giving them support, the captains wouldn't have had the spine to stand up to the brotherhood, or Duedermont once he had taken control.

As for Sellswords; I've heard from a good friend who's opinion I highly respect that it more or less ruins Jarlaxle's and Artemis' characters.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
Go to Top of Page

AleksanderTheGreat
Seeker

90 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2011 :  01:08:27  Show Profile Send AleksanderTheGreat a Private Message
Wow... just wow... You've just proved who is the asshole here. Also, I very curious where did I imply that I'm 100% right and you're wrong? If I did then I was writing about facts from handbooks.

I can't wait for a Mod to see this. Is there a "Report" button on this boards?

Edited by - AleksanderTheGreat on 09 May 2011 01:16:07
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2011 :  01:15:16  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message
Now you're putting words into my mouth. (or text- whatever.) Not subjective? Actually, I believe I've said exactly the opposite.

Quote: "The second stage is seen in older children, (usually at or after age ten) and views morality as subjective- this is when a child understands that what one person thinks is "right", another may see as "wrong". (Such as stealing food to feed a starving family.) They can see the right to pursue individual interests over simple "law". what is right for an individual is what meets his own self-interests. They also see morality as a fair exchange or fair deal."

This does NOT, however, contradict the concept of universal morality, in that there ARE certain moral ideals that are common to almost all people. However, an INDIVIDUAL'S moral outlook IS subjective- it depends entirely on his life experience and point of view. The two ideas are not mutually exclusive- one simply has to realize that one encompasses the other, that they are not separate.

As for Chaos Theory it is in our nature to try to understand the order of the universe, and to look for the patterns in seemingly random events in order to better understand that order and the laws behind it. We do not so much impose order on the universe, as we search for the order already there.

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2011 :  01:19:29  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message
Well this is all getting a little too hostile for me. I'm out, peace guys.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
Go to Top of Page

AleksanderTheGreat
Seeker

90 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2011 :  01:20:25  Show Profile Send AleksanderTheGreat a Private Message
Alystra, I would say that in real world morality IS subjective because humans are the only creatures that have such a thing. It will always be subjective, no matter what.
My point is that morality is objective IN DnD. It just works like that. Humans created DnD so this "universal moral standards" are biased by their imperfect creators (and censorship) but that does not matter. Good is good and evil is evil and that's the universal moral code IN DND.
@ Chosen
What are you afraid of? Just ignore whatever posts are too offensive and answer those that aren't. No need to abandon an interesting debate. ;)

Edited by - AleksanderTheGreat on 09 May 2011 01:23:36
Go to Top of Page

ChieftainTwilight
Learned Scribe

171 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2011 :  01:24:09  Show Profile Send ChieftainTwilight a Private Message
I ain't even gonna get into the debate about non-human animals and morality.

meh. whatever. all hostilities aside, I'm gonna go cool down. I shouldn't have come in here in my current state of mind. Peace everyone.

and for the record, nobody hold their breath for an appology. I ain't gonna give one.

Edited by - ChieftainTwilight on 09 May 2011 01:24:48
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2011 :  01:25:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
And I think we're done.

I'm very disappointed in a number of scribes, here, and while I do not like to specifically name those responsible, I hope those who were involved can take a step back and look at how each of you have allowed this unfortunate circumstance to occur.

Note, also, that I'll be contacting all offending scribes privately, to discuss the matter further.

*Casts Seal Scroll*

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 09 May 2011 01:27:29
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000