Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 is jarlaxle good or evil?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2006 :  14:51:59  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message
why is "neutral" not a choice?

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2006 :  17:29:04  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message
I've always thought Jaraxle to be more controlled than Chaotic in his dealings, and as for Good / Evil I'm not sure. True he thrives in a evil city but as he states in one of the books he is a survivor much like Drizzt's dad Zak Nafien (I think spelling is right sorry if not) he really seems a paradox of Dark Elven society.

I'm Back!
Go to Top of Page

Gellion
Learned Scribe

140 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2006 :  01:07:01  Show Profile  Visit Gellion's Homepage Send Gellion a Private Message
I think in the Road of the Patriarch we will see both Entreri and Jarlaxle's true colors. I cant wait for it!!!

"Paladine, you see the evil that surrounds me! You have been witness to the calamities that have been the scourge of Krynn... You must see now that this doctrine of balance will not work! I can sweep evil from this land. Destroy the ogre races. Bring the wayward humans into line! Find new homelands far away for the dwarves and the kender and the gnomes, those races not of your creation... I demand that you give me, too, the power to drive away the shadows of evil that darken the land!"- THE REIGN OF ISTAR, Tales IV
Go to Top of Page

yargarth
Seeker

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2007 :  04:44:47  Show Profile  Visit yargarth's Homepage Send yargarth a Private Message
I belive that he is neutral but appraently a book states that he is neutral evil. I personally think is is shifting neutral because of Salvatores ROP.

"You take a step, then another. That's the journey. But to take a step with your eyes open is not a journey at all, it's a remaking of your own mind."

-Orson Scott Card
Ender in Exile
Go to Top of Page

unknown warrior
Seeker

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2007 :  19:44:41  Show Profile  Visit unknown warrior's Homepage Send unknown warrior a Private Message
jarlaxle is really good but he can't help what he is a drow. drows see what is consider wrong to be right,so jarlaxle probably knows what he does is wrong but thinks its ok cause hes a drow and thats his excuse if someone calls him evil or chaoic it just what his people r and no matter what he does he can't escape it.unlike drizzt who successed in do so.And he only a mercenary cause thats another way for him to say that he not evil hes just doing his job to live and survive.And the greed of money just adds to his image of being evil. so he does whats in his limits.to do what is right so as not to be outcasted from his people.so really hes does good with in his bounds so as not to have people mkae him out to be a good guy.

Don't stand in my way.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2007 :  01:14:06  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by unknown warrior

jarlaxle is really good but he can't help what he is a drow. drows see what is consider wrong to be right,so jarlaxle probably knows what he does is wrong but thinks its ok cause hes a drow and thats his excuse if someone calls him evil or chaoic it just what his people r and no matter what he does he can't escape it.

It's still evil.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

unknown warrior
Seeker

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2007 :  03:30:09  Show Profile  Visit unknown warrior's Homepage Send unknown warrior a Private Message
yeah, but isn't r world just like the drows wrong is right and right is wrong.to not see this u must be part of the group just like all drows r part of there group.the world is amoral just like the drows world.but u can be like drizzt and realize whats really the truth of the world around u.

Don't stand in my way.
Go to Top of Page

unknown warrior
Seeker

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2007 :  04:24:22  Show Profile  Visit unknown warrior's Homepage Send unknown warrior a Private Message
so what i mean is be more like drizzt moral.honor is the number one thing that makes drizzt different from his people cause the drow have no since of this term. read homeland the part were drizzt teams with some one he thought to be a friend,and to win he stab his friend in the back cause he couldn't beat him face to face. so there for u can but can't call jarlaxle evil.from my first post what i meant to do was bring understand to why jaraxle is the way he is but if u truly think of it your right he truly is evil cause he knows and does care that hes evil and doesn't even try to change his ways so with that thought he truly is evil. to get to that conculsion took alot and thought and reason.

Don't stand in my way.
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2007 :  04:31:22  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message

I feel I need to warn you unknown warrior that the poor quality of your writing will get you ignored by many scribes here.
Go to Top of Page

unknown warrior
Seeker

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2007 :  04:38:01  Show Profile  Visit unknown warrior's Homepage Send unknown warrior a Private Message
thanx again skeptic you are a valuable allie on here.

Don't stand in my way.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2007 :  23:15:42  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
Sorry, unknown warrior, but your point isn't coming through to me at all.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

unknown warrior
Seeker

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2007 :  04:39:05  Show Profile  Visit unknown warrior's Homepage Send unknown warrior a Private Message
after thinking and reasoning to a while but your right no matter what hes evil,nut helps people here and there for the fun of it.it is confusioning just all togather to explain.what i really did is reason why hes is like he is and what he could to do to be like drizzt but he just doesn't choose to enough though he knows what he does is wrong but cause hes a drow it ok.what i mean to say is try to understand the why jarlaxle might think,thats why he acts the way he does.

Don't stand in my way.
Go to Top of Page

Ontarah
Acolyte

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2007 :  21:34:14  Show Profile  Visit Ontarah's Homepage Send Ontarah a Private Message
I think when you first see him in Exile he can be described as NE. In that, his primary motivations are indeed just to make a profit. As the story goes on however I think he really starts shifting towards N. Sometimes he seems to act solely for profit. Other times he does things that seem kind. He feels "guilty" about betraying Zaknafein as it stakes in RotP, but he still betrayed him. Drizzt speculates in a journal entry in RotP that he does what he does for the sake of entertainment, and I really agree with his assessment. He is capable of meticulous planning, but I think most of what he does he just does to satisfy some weird curiosity. So between all the seeming alignment disparities and the huge range of behaviors, I would say CN. He does whatever he feels like doing at that particular point in time. In Menzo, he feels like acting NE. On the surface, he almost hits CG a few times, but that might all change tomorrow.
Go to Top of Page

Warrax
Learned Scribe

Canada
128 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2007 :  01:42:56  Show Profile  Visit Warrax's Homepage  Click to see Warrax's MSN Messenger address Send Warrax a Private Message
You know, I voted Neutral but I realized it's a bit of a mistake. NE is probably the best way to describe him. He's not evil in the sense of trying to repress others or randomly murdering things or what-not...

But he definitely has no compunctions about violence (even overt and what might seem to be excessive violence) if it gets him what he wants. He's a Romantic, I think, but he has no illusions about the world and he likes to have fun. Fun that sometimes gets people killed.

He's the most enjoyable kind of evil there is.
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2130 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2007 :  20:55:37  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message
Jaraxle is definitely Chaotic Neutral. Chaotic is why he stayed a favored of Lloth for so long, and Neutral because he does whatever the hell he likes with little thought as to how it is viewed by others.

quote:
From the Dungeon Master's Guide v3.5, pg. 105

Chaotic neutral is the best alignment you can be because it represents true freedom from both society's restrictions and a do-gooder's zeal.

I believe that describes Jaraxle to a "T"

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2007 :  16:32:37  Show Profile  Send Brynweir an AOL message Send Brynweir a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

Jaraxle is definitely Chaotic Neutral. Chaotic is why he stayed a favored of Lloth for so long, and Neutral because he does whatever the hell he likes with little thought as to how it is viewed by others.

quote:
From the Dungeon Master's Guide v3.5, pg. 105

Chaotic neutral is the best alignment you can be because it represents true freedom from both society's restrictions and a do-gooder's zeal.

I believe that describes Jaraxle to a "T"

I have to agree that he is CN. I think that, while Jarlaxle may do good, it is not because he is good. Rather, life to him is like a grand experiment and he just likes to see what buttons he can push. He has had such a long life and he is beginning to see it as pointless. By making changes in others and dictating events, he is trying to make his life interesting again. I think that he is looking for meaning in his own existence.

Anyone who likes to read something that's really dark and gritty and completely awesome ought to read The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. You can check out a little taste at www.BrentWeeks.com I should probably warn you, though, that it is definitely not PG-13 :-D

He also started a new Trilogy with Black Prism, which may even surpass the Night Angel Trilogy in its awesomeness.

Go to Top of Page

Ranin
Learned Scribe

88 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2007 :  06:10:01  Show Profile  Visit Ranin's Homepage Send Ranin a Private Message
Actually if Jarlaxle's stats were to be shown, it would say that he is chaotic evil. I have found that characters who are'nt necessarily overly malicious tend to be labeled evil.

I personally agree that he would be shown as neutral evil in the earlier stories such as the Legacy of the Drow series and the Silent Blade. I the legacy series he is more neutral evil, then he shifts to chaotic evil in the Silent Blade then towards the Sellsword Trilogy he moves to Chaotic Neutral.

Listen to the silence of the wilds, in there lies the wisdom of ages.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2007 :  19:25:09  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
I wonder why people argue so much about Jarlaxle's alignment, but not the alignments of other characters. I mean, he HAS an official alignment.

Go to Top of Page

Ranin
Learned Scribe

88 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2007 :  07:25:02  Show Profile  Visit Ranin's Homepage Send Ranin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

I wonder why people argue so much about Jarlaxle's alignment, but not the alignments of other characters. I mean, he HAS an official alignment.

I agree. I think the whole alignment thing is a little over-used. People are who they are in this world, and they are who they are in the Realms.

Listen to the silence of the wilds, in there lies the wisdom of ages.
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
520 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2008 :  18:37:45  Show Profile  Visit GRYPHON's Homepage Send GRYPHON a Private Message
Neutral evil...
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2008 :  19:04:28  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message
His alignment is given as evil in his stat block in the FRCG (p. 251).

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3532 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2008 :  13:44:23  Show Profile  Send The Red Walker a Yahoo! Message Send The Red Walker a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Yes but they see that hat and the gleam in his eye and think, "that's not such a bad chap, he can't really be evil".

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2008 :  14:23:09  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker
Yes but they see that hat and the gleam in his eye and think, "that's not such a bad chap, he can't really be evil".

Probably. And yes, even after 100 years, he's still evil.

Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2008 :  08:48:00  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message
He's been Neutral Evil from day one and I for one see no reason why he should not be. Then again, I hardly care for definite alignments in one person 24/7 and a lifetime.

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

G a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faern, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
569 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2008 :  08:56:08  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message
CHAOTIC NEUTRAL

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000