Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 is jarlaxle good or evil?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

thomas b.
Acolyte

24 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2005 :  22:23:30  Show Profile  Visit thomas b.'s Homepage Send thomas b. a Private Message  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
the notorious mercenary from the darkelf trilogy.he is cunning and devious.although some of his actions leave you questioning his alighnment.is he good.or perhaps he is a follower of vhearun.i would like to know your opinions on this.

Choices:

good.
evil.
completeley neutral/
who cares hes awseome either way.

(Anonymous Vote)

THOMAS BENJAMIN

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2005 :  14:49:28  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message
Well he's definitely not good that's for sure.I could have said it doesn't matter.He's awesome eihter way.Okay I do say that,but he is evil.Though if you told me he was chaotic neutral.I would go for that too.

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2005 :  15:07:19  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message
He is definitly chaotic neutral. He doesn't believe in a set of laws, but has no problem with helping or harming others.

Melfius, Pixie-Priest of Puck - Head Chef, The Faerie Kitchen, Candlekeep Inn
"What's in his pockets, besides me?"
Read a tale of my earlier days! - Happiness Comes in Small Packages
Go to Top of Page

thomas b.
Acolyte

24 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2005 :  17:06:35  Show Profile  Visit thomas b.'s Homepage Send thomas b. a Private Message
yeah i personally agree with you bot although.i think this question is probaly what makes him such an interesting charactor.

THOMAS BENJAMIN
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2005 :  17:09:24  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message
I think there are only two possibilities for Jarlaxle; Chaotic Evil or Neutral Evil.

I would lean towards Chaotic Evil. Too many people think that all CE characters must be reckless lunatics who murder people on a whim. However, not all CE people are Orc berserkers and they are capable of having friends and caring about people. Jarlaxle is clearly evil. That's a no brainer for me. He murders people, he steals, and he cares for himself first always. A way I like to think of it, if Jarlaxle walked by a Paladin, would the Paladin be able to detect evil? I think the answer is obvious.

As for the chaotic aspect. He seems to be extremely unpredictable and loves experiencing chaos. You really never know who he is going to help and which side he'll be on. He has saved Drizzt, Artemis, and Regis, sometimes it suited his goals, sometimes it didn't. He is absolutely unpredictable. This is why I consider him Chaotic Evil.

The only reason I would consider Neutral Evil is because if he was purely chaotic the argument could me made that he would not be able to function in an organization such as Bregan D'athaer (sp?). Despite this, I still consider him CE.
Go to Top of Page

thomas b.
Acolyte

24 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2005 :  17:33:10  Show Profile  Visit thomas b.'s Homepage Send thomas b. a Private Message
true he is evil in a way.but if i had to choose to cross him or dantrag benrae ide choose jarlaxle. i dont think jarlaxle would kill merely for pleasure .i always assume there i s a reason for his actions.wich is understandable considering his position if he does one thing out of sequence all of his operations could be destroyed. if i were him i would look at things from a completely nuetral prospective.

THOMAS BENJAMIN
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2005 :  20:12:53  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message
Jarlaxle is Evil, but he is alot like Lolth in some ways. Chaos is more fun than anything else. Hence why he has helped Drizzt in the past, and done "good" things at times. As long as it doesn't hurt him, yet will cause all kinds of nice fun chaos, he is pretty much for it.

Also Jarlaxle is a smart and controlled evil. He is a big picture type of guy.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2005 :  20:24:29  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by warlockco

Jarlaxle is Evil, but he is alot like Lolth in some ways. Chaos is more fun than anything else. Hence why he has helped Drizzt in the past, and done "good" things at times. As long as it doesn't hurt him, yet will cause all kinds of nice fun chaos, he is pretty much for it.

I couldn't agree more.

That is exactly my reasoning for him being chaoitc evil.
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2005 :  21:47:25  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message
I believe he is neutral purely so he can focus on chaos no matter what. Whether he sows chaos by doing good or evil acts is irrelevant to him, so long as he causes it :)
Lolth must love him to bits :D
Go to Top of Page

thomas b.
Acolyte

24 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2005 :  22:23:57  Show Profile  Visit thomas b.'s Homepage Send thomas b. a Private Message
wow these are some great answers. i wish i could be just like jarlaxle,he my idol.

and yes i am screwed up a llittle.

thomas

THOMAS BENJAMIN
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2005 :  05:10:43  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Bane

not all CE people are Orc berserkers and they are capable of having friends and caring about people.

That's a good point, it could of course be extended to any evil character. I think that's one reason most (all) of the evil campaigns I have tried to run ended badly. The players constantly want to try to kill each other, steal from each other, etc. Without some sort of moral compass to guide their actions, the players often have trouble justifying working as a team with other evil characters.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

LordAnki
Seeker

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2005 :  15:57:28  Show Profile  Visit LordAnki's Homepage Send LordAnki a Private Message
Well hell, I would have to go with chaotic neutral but you know what. Who cares! He's the true star of Menzoberranzen. Jarlaxle can talk how he likes to anyone and they know not to attack him.

Tip of the Month: don't drink the dirty water. You know what i'm talking about if you know what i mean.
Go to Top of Page

thomas b.
Acolyte

24 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2005 :  16:38:50  Show Profile  Visit thomas b.'s Homepage Send thomas b. a Private Message
thtas true everyone knows the value of his network. he is probaly one of the most infleuential charactors in menzo.

THOMAS BENJAMIN
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2005 :  17:11:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
LordAnki, perhaps you could in the future be a bit more selective with your choice of words? Not all people are comfortable with certain language, and some scribes here live with parents who'd object to certain phrases.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2005 :  18:14:17  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

LordAnki, perhaps you could in the future be a bit more selective with your choice of words? Not all people are comfortable with certain language, and some scribes here live with parents who'd object to certain phrases.

Well met

Thank ye, Wooly. Indeed, language will not be tolerated herein. Some are censored, however that one is not, due to being required for the use of naming natives of Calimshan Please refrain from using any offensive language at Candlekeep.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2005 :  18:36:18  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

That`s bad. Currently I am working on contract-basis for the boss of a certain nine layers.......you know who I mean(don`t even THINK of asking how that came to be, but I assure you, the DM who set me up WILL pay, one way or another) and sometimes a minion or two of his try to possess me so my tongue is not always my own

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

LordAnki
Seeker

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2005 :  16:08:50  Show Profile  Visit LordAnki's Homepage Send LordAnki a Private Message
ah sorry about that guys. I couldn't think of anything else to describe Jarlaxle's awesomeness (is that even a word oh well it is now)

Tip of the Month: don't drink the dirty water. You know what i'm talking about if you know what i mean.
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2005 :  16:18:02  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Bane

quote:
Originally posted by warlockco

I couldn't agree more.

That is exactly my reasoning for him being chaoitc evil.

I must argue with your reasoning, although I see this as a matter of perspection more than 'it says this in Menzoberranzan-boxed set'-matter (having not even read that accessory ;)

In my experience as a gamer/player and a reader, my opinion leans towards neutral/chaotic neutral. When has Jarlaxle committed an act of conscious malice, either in written Realmslore or fiction? Certainly he is ambitious, and put his own interests above all, but he has a (somewhat-twisted) code of honour.

Why would he be neutral? Because he has run Bregan D'aerthe, which is/was a highly efficient organization, which is harder to accomplish for a chaotic character (but possible).

When have you seen him act in ways that would justice any evil alignment?

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2005 :  01:24:48  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message
Remember the difference between 'evil' and 'not good' :)
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2005 :  22:29:04  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by thomas b.

wow these are some great answers. i wish i could be just like jarlaxle,he my idol.

and yes i am screwed up a llittle.

thomas

Hey, you could honestly have a lot worse idols who are real living, breathing people. :) Jarlaxle is ok!

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

ode904
Learned Scribe

Finland
193 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2005 :  22:49:45  Show Profile Send ode904 a Private Message
ok guys. Try to read Servant of the Shard again. And the Silent Blade. Then you are going to understand that JAralxle is neutral, or possibly good. He kills when he has to. And nothing more. He just wants money.
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2005 :  23:14:13  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ode904

ok guys. Try to read Servant of the Shard again. And the Silent Blade. Then you are going to understand that JAralxle is neutral, or possibly good. He kills when he has to. And nothing more. He just wants money.

Sounds evil to me. Extreme greed is definitely an evil trait.
Go to Top of Page

Arlenion
Acolyte

36 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2005 :  23:54:15  Show Profile  Visit Arlenion's Homepage Send Arlenion a Private Message
Like several people have said evil doesn't mean kill everything in sight. I think of Jarlaxle as being evil because he will occasionally do evil acts without remorse then or later. Just as good is not completely perfect in every regard, evil is not necessarily completely murderous and an evil character is not necessarily always doing something wrong. I do agree that he is mostly chaotic. The reason he can hold together Bregan De'arthe(spelling?) is because he is very charismatic and intelligent.
Go to Top of Page

magnakanus
Acolyte

Germany
9 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2005 :  17:30:15  Show Profile  Visit magnakanus's Homepage Send magnakanus a Private Message
He is definately Neutral evil and a follower of vhearun. Look at it this way, he looks out for himself mostly. Builds up a goodly ammount of power and money to make sure he is on top, helps people he may need later, and does not adhere to laws NOR act recklessly individualistic. Has to be Neutral Evil.

All good things come to those who wait...
Go to Top of Page

ode904
Learned Scribe

Finland
193 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2005 :  09:10:56  Show Profile Send ode904 a Private Message
He's neutral, but not evil. And yes the first part of alignment is chaotic, but it's neutral, perhaps a little towards good. For example he let Drizzt go and his friends too. And there were no profits for him concerning that
Go to Top of Page

magnakanus
Acolyte

Germany
9 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2005 :  10:14:55  Show Profile  Visit magnakanus's Homepage Send magnakanus a Private Message
For an intelegent evil character the profits do not have to be immediate. If we look at it objectively, what would Jarlaxle have gained through the betrayal? Not much, a sword of 2 from the Driz and a nice bow from kattie, but what then? Not much.

Having Driz and his friends kinda "owe him one" is worth more than have killed them for the fun of it. To be considered also is the fact that if Driz is out there "doing his stuff" means that the drow need to concentrate some of their resources on him, and less on Jarlaxle. Driz may be good, but he is hunted and reviled and keeps the drow thirst for violance partialy concentrated in another direction. Jarlaxle is one of those problems the drow more than likely consider as "moderately valuable, but to be dealt with at a later time."

Go to Top of Page

Forge
Learned Scribe

USA
218 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2005 :  14:20:02  Show Profile  Visit Forge's Homepage Send Forge a Private Message
I honestly believe Jarlaxle is Chaotic Nuetral. However you have to frame that in context of the society he is around. He is the ultimate opportunist, and will take profit where he finds it. He will perpetrate evil when it is profitable to (and these chances are frequent around the drow) but won't engage in evildoing for it's own sake.

He doesn't give credence to law, but lives as HE deems fitting. (Within the limits he has had dictated to him by the Council) He doesn't have an innate bent to evil, but only act to what benefits him, ie he is very selfish but doesn't care to advance any idealogical cause beyond his own coinpurse.

Qualifying clause: He does what he has to to stay alive. Sometimes this may mean playing flunky to Baenre, or the council, sometimes this means championing the cause of a particular alignment-set... but once he neck isn't in the noose he returns to his ways.
Go to Top of Page

magnakanus
Acolyte

Germany
9 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2005 :  13:11:09  Show Profile  Visit magnakanus's Homepage Send magnakanus a Private Message
The above is a great description of what J is and by nature this is what Neutral evil is, the opportunist that takes care of himself. Chaotic neutral is more of the whim character. They ask themselves "what do I feel like today"? Chaotic neutral typicaly lacks the capacity to stick to a plan or course of action once they have calculated their advantages or disadvantages, they are just too whimsy. Whimsy is not J's style so CN is out.

Go to Top of Page

Belwar Dissengulp
Acolyte

6 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2005 :  15:25:07  Show Profile  Visit Belwar Dissengulp's Homepage Send Belwar Dissengulp a Private Message
i think neutral

I am the one they call master of the shadows... I am the Crystal Shard!

Bivrip!
^(i think it means "enhance")

Magga Cammara...
^(By the stones)
Go to Top of Page

iamunknown
Acolyte

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2005 :  15:40:47  Show Profile  Visit iamunknown's Homepage Send iamunknown a Private Message
accourding to the tome "villians lorebook" jarlaxle is neutral evil
Go to Top of Page

Arlenion
Acolyte

36 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2005 :  22:14:59  Show Profile  Visit Arlenion's Homepage Send Arlenion a Private Message
So does the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting(pg 211).
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000