Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Talk about breaking metamagic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2005 :  07:34:21  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So my super I-want-to-make-an-annoying-dual-wielding-shortsword-uber-fighter finally bit the dust 2 gaming sessions ago and I was a little lost for character designs. I could do anything I wanted up to level 6 (half the average party member) since I didn't want to wait to be resurrected or anything like that.

So what I did was, I created a level 1 cleric, level 5 Wizard.

Let me tell you something Divine Metamagic + Extra Turning is EVIL. Free Maximize Spell + Empower is just NASTY, I look forward to getting some more Metagmagic slots for another Divine Metamagic for free Quickens. ;)

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.

Edited by - SirUrza on 25 May 2005 07:37:19

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2005 :  09:33:05  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

So my super I-want-to-make-an-annoying-dual-wielding-shortsword-uber-fighter finally bit the dust 2 gaming sessions ago and I was a little lost for character designs. I could do anything I wanted up to level 6 (half the average party member) since I didn't want to wait to be resurrected or anything like that.

Let me tell you something Divine Metamagic + Extra Turning is EVIL. Free Maximize Spell + Empower is just NASTY, I look forward to getting some more Metagmagic slots for another Divine Metamagic for free Quickens. ;)

Umm, you do know you have to be able to cast the boosted spell normally.

Look at the Errate for Complete Divine. http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/er/20040125a

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Icewolf
Learned Scribe

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2005 :  11:05:03  Show Profile  Visit Icewolf's Homepage Send Icewolf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warlockco

quote:

Umm, you do know you have to be able to cast the boosted spell normally.

Look at the Errate for Complete Divine. http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/er/20040125a

OK, one of us is misunderstanding something here. Let me know if I misunderstood what you meant...

For Divine Metamagic, you need 2 feats per metamagic you want to use.
1. The original metamagic feat (Quicken, Maximise, Heighten, etc.)
2. You need to pick Divine Metamagic as a feat once PER Metamagic feat you wish to use.

Now, while that limit IS there, you don't need to be able to cast the spell through normal metamagic. For instance, the spell Time Stop. Normally, you can't use any useful metamagic on it. But, if you have Quicken Spell, and Divine Metamagic (Quicken), you could Quicken your time stop by spending 4 Turn checks.

Edited by - Icewolf on 25 May 2005 11:06:09
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2005 :  11:49:54  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Page 80: Divine Metamagic feat
The boldface text needs to be added to the Benefit
paragraph of the feat description:
When you take this feat, choose a metamagic feat that
you have. This feat applies only to that metamagic feat.
As a free action, you can take the energy from turning
or rebuking undead and use it to apply a metamagic feat
to divine spells that you know. . . .

Divine Metamagic [Divine]
You can channel energy into some of your divine spells to make them more powerful.
Prerequisite: Ability to turn undead or rebuke undead.
Benefit: When you take this feat, choose a metamagic feat. This feat applies only to that metamagic feat. As a free action, you can take the energy from turning or rebuking undead and use it to apply a metamagic feat to spells that you know. You must spend one turn or rebuke attempt, plus an additional attempt for each level increase in the metamagic feat you’re using. For example, Jozan the cleric could sacrifice three turn attempts to empower a holy smite he’s casting. Because you’re using positive or negative energy to augment your spells, the spell slot for the spell doesn’t change.
Special: This feat may be taken multiple times. Each time you take this feat choose a different metamagic feat to which to apply it.

Okay that is SO BROKEN. I could have sworn the Errate fixed that.
I am so glad the munchkin in my group usually plays Rogues/Monks.

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2005 :  18:13:58  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well it's a good thing we don't use eratta huh?

Either way, I'm going to be taking Mystical Theurge after I get Divine Metamagic'd Quicken.

I so want to break divine casting too. :)

Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2005 :  19:38:50  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well it's a good thing we don't use eratta huh?

Either way, I'm going to be taking Mystical Theurge after I get Divine Metamagic'd Quicken.

I so want to break divine casting too. :)

lol, more power to ya

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2005 :  09:40:53  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah . . . the feat specifically refers to divine spells only. So regardless of using errata or not, you're not following established rules. If your DM and fellow players know this and don't care, fine, but otherwise you're cheating.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2005 :  13:33:25  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

Ah . . . the feat specifically refers to divine spells only. So regardless of using errata or not, you're not following established rules. If your DM and fellow players know this and don't care, fine, but otherwise you're cheating.

Hate to break it to you Booky, but the Benefit section of Divine Metamagic (pre-eratta) doesn't say anything about Divine Spells and that's the important part and why it was eratta'd. So I'm not cheating, I'm just finding an Arcane use for a Divine feat, just like many of the older feats from Defenders of Faith.

Edited by - SirUrza on 28 May 2005 13:33:51
Go to Top of Page

Darth KTrava
Learned Scribe

USA
172 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2005 :  03:39:20  Show Profile  Visit Darth KTrava's Homepage Send Darth KTrava a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Hate to break it to you Booky, but the Benefit section of Divine Metamagic (pre-eratta) doesn't say anything about Divine Spells and that's the important part and why it was eratta'd. So I'm not cheating, I'm just finding an Arcane use for a Divine feat, just like many of the older feats from Defenders of Faith.

And how many people carry around the errata on hand?

Evil will be dealt with swiftly as it is my duty to remove such evil from my presence.
-Rozhena, Cleric/Divine Champion of Torm
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2005 :  07:28:25  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Darth KTrava

quote:

quote:

And how many people carry around the errata on hand?

I print off the Errata for each of my books, and tuck it in between the front cover and the first page.

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000