Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Eaerlann's Fall
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2005 :  08:05:12  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Something's been bugging me for a while, and I wanted to ask if there's any info out on it. I'm having a very hard time finding any concrete information on the elven nation of Eaerlann beyond that in Cormanthyr's timeline. Nowhere can I find any kind of detailed history. I can't even find a date or cause of its fall, though I gather it has to be after DR 523 (which is the last mention of it in the Cormanthyr timeline).

So, are there any sources that I'm missing? I have a fairly complete FR collection, though I still haven't managed to read all of it, and my 3e holdings are sparce at best.

Also, a more minor question that I found while looking through the timeline just now. Under -6300 DR it says this: "The Coronal Eltaor dies by palimpsest. The Fifth Rysar sees the election of the young, vibrant Coronal Intevar."

I looked up "palimpsest" and got two definitions: 1) a book that has been written on more than once, with the older writing still visible, or, 2) an object, place, or area that reflects its history.

Neither of these is something that one would die of. Is there another definition that I've missed, or is it a typo for some other word?

Many thanks.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2005 :  08:17:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

Nowhere can I find any kind of detailed history. I can't even find a date or cause of its fall, though I gather it has to be after DR 523 (which is the last mention of it in the Cormanthyr timeline).
I don't have my books with me at the moment, but I can provide you with these details now.

Eaerlann fell in 882 DR (-150 in North Reckoning). It is said that hordes of rampaging fiends from Ascalhorn trigger the fall of Eaerlann.

Off-hand, relevant sources on Eaerlann include FR5 Savage Frontier, and the 3e tome Lost Empires of Faerun. As well, the Krash's "North" timeline available on Eric L Boyd's website details significant information about the realm throughout its history.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2005 :  09:28:35  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Under -6300 DR it says this: "The Coronal Eltaor dies by palimpsest.

"Palimpsest

Small Aberration

Source(s): Monstrous Compendium Annual 2, City of Splendors
Alignment: Always True Neutral
Climate/Terrain: Temperate Urban
Organization: None
Rarity: Very Rare
Experience Value: 270

A sheet of magical, carnivorous parchmnt or paper that has become semisentient and animated by the magical runes it contained for long ages. It is mobile, able to restle its way from sheld to shelf, desk to desk. They attempt to absorb their victims into their being."

might be the answer you seek.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2005 :  14:30:00  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What a way to go.........

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2005 :  17:50:18  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whoa, what a way to go indeed. Got to be embarrassing for the leader of a great elven nation. Thanks.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2005 :  01:30:36  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LEoF deals with Eaerlann in the "High Forest" chapter, and yes, it did fall in 882 DR due to the attacks of fiends from Ascalhorn/Hellgate Keep and then subsequent orc attacks.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2005 :  06:57:34  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm. It's sounding more and more like I have to get a copy of LEoF. Thanks all for the info.

Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2020 :  20:31:06  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader Hoondatha,

I would highly recommend going and checking out the "unofficial lore" section in Alaundo's Library, here in the 'Keep where Paul Simpson has his Eaerlann series in a four volume set. It is pretty epic! :)

Best regards,

quote:

Something's been bugging me for a while, and I wanted to ask if there's any info out on it. I'm having a very hard time finding any concrete information on the elven nation of Eaerlann beyond that in Cormanthyr's timeline. Nowhere can I find any kind of detailed history. I can't even find a date or cause of its fall, though I gather it has to be after DR 523 (which is the last mention of it in the Cormanthyr timeline).

So, are there any sources that I'm missing? I have a fairly complete FR collection, though I still haven't managed to read all of it, and my 3e holdings are sparce at best.

Also, a more minor question that I found while looking through the timeline just now. Under -6300 DR it says this: "The Coronal Eltaor dies by palimpsest. The Fifth Rysar sees the election of the young, vibrant Coronal Intevar."

I looked up "palimpsest" and got two definitions: 1) a book that has been written on more than once, with the older writing still visible, or, 2) an object, place, or area that reflects its history.

Neither of these is something that one would die of. Is there another definition that I've missed, or is it a typo for some other word?

Many thanks.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2020 :  01:23:36  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let's just say that the fall of Eaerlann has received plenty of secret love from Eric Boyd over the last little while. All will be revealed in due course.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2020 :  01:26:59  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader Krashos,

I agree! haha

It's always so hard to wait for this stuff. ;)

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Let's just say that the fall of Eaerlann has received plenty of secret love from Eric Boyd over the last little while. All will be revealed in due course.

-- George Krashos

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2020 :  12:43:49  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Currently I'm trying to figure out the tumult in the Dessarin river valley between 882 and 955 DR. :-)

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2020 :  15:59:18  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric,

Yeah, that is a really cool time. 936DR sees Waterdeep established as a town after the Orcfastings War. Very cool indeed.

Any insight on what angle you're taking?

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

Currently I'm trying to figure out the tumult in the Dessarin river valley between 882 and 955 DR. :-)

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2376 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2020 :  01:11:46  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's also lore on Eaerlann scattered in Netheril, since they were allies and teachers of the early Netherese.
The brief summary:
quote:
Netheril/The Campaign p.16:
Eaerlanni Elves
The Earlanni were the most-battered survivors from the Crown Wars thousands of years ago. While still a major force in Netheril,
their presence was mostly ignored by the other elves, since their civilization never recovered from the wars that reduced their
population. Until 882 DR, when Ascalhorn fell, the Earlanni held on to the few holdings that remained. Most of the Earlanni were
of moon elf stock, although gold elves and a precious few wild elves were also present.

So, the place was crippled by the Crown Wars and never recovered.
Most likely, it would be overrun by goblinoids, but nearby human settlers staved this off.
Until after Netheril itself fell and its survivors continued to sneak around and poke things they should not, but lost capability to deal with the consequences.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2020 :  02:44:52  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master TBeholder,

You know, seeing that very point you just made about the fall and failure to recover of Eaerlann, it makes me wonder why Elves didn't just use all of that old school magic to lay down the law? Don't get me wrong, I am not making an ethical argument for whole sale slaughter. Rather, I am just wondering why they didn't when their backs were against the wall?

Especially when you reference goblinoids, etc., it begs that question of, "Well, do we nuke them and this silliness now and give ourselves some breathing room, knowing how quickly they breed?"

Again, not advocating for that. I am just thinking about how some beings react when their backs are against the wall.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

There's also lore on Eaerlann scattered in Netheril, since they were allies and teachers of the early Netherese.
The brief summary:
quote:
Eaerlanni Elves
The Earlanni were the most-battered survivors from the Crown Wars thousands of years ago. While still a major force in Netheril,
their presence was mostly ignored by the other elves, since their civilization never recovered from the wars that reduced their
population. Until 882 DR, when Ascalhorn fell, the Earlanni held on to the few holdings that remained. Most of the Earlanni were
of moon elf stock, although gold elves and a precious few wild elves were also present.

Most likely, it would be overrun by goblinoids, but nearby human settlers staved this off.
Until after Netheril itself fell and its survivors continued to sneak around and poke things they should not, but lost capability to deal with the consequences.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2376 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2020 :  09:51:43  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

You know, seeing that very point you just made about the fall and failure to recover of Eaerlann, it makes me wonder why Elves didn't just use all of that old school magic to lay down the law?

Basically, because High Magic mostly does not work this way.
To the extent it does, they had a bootstrap problem: they'd need a lot of High Mages first, and those don't spring up like mushrooms.

High Magic "nukes" (Rituals of Myriad with military applications) include:
"Storm Erosion". Any unnatural states for living and nonliving matter are restored to their most natural states. Can erase a whole city. Against the civilized humans or dwarves who rely on fortifications and infrastructure buildings, a terrible weapon. Against the savage orcs, obviously useless.
"The Sundering". Causes Weave damage leading to "natural" cataclysms. The problem: it causes Weave damage. All in all, adding thunderstorms and dead magic zones doesn't improve things much while against the orcs.
"The Killing Storm". That's "nuking": reduces the area to goo-covered plains that can be scarred indefinitely even after some plants regrow. (see High Moors).
This won't help, because what exactly area would be the target? Their own forest? Mountains and badlands after the orcs are thrown out? It's also lost knowledge. And is suicidal. Given that it was still known as "Miyeritar's Bane" in the age of Myth Drannor, the elves won't do it even if it was safe, nevermind while actually sitting on the ruins of Aryvandaar.
Somewhat less dramatic elemental effects - that was also lost.
They could also make a mythal which bars all goblinoids. Could be an advantage if they had positions where a single strong base would matter. Does not look this way, it's not Battle of Bones.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2020 :  10:16:11  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, because George already stole an obscure reference I was planning to exploit, so I'm back to the drawing board. I do have an idea though.

quote:

Eric,

Yeah, that is a really cool time. 936DR sees Waterdeep established as a town after the Orcfastings War. Very cool indeed.

Best regards,

quote:

--
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2020 :  10:27:19  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

The brief summary:
quote:
Eaerlanni Elves

This reference is completely inconsistent with other references, but can be explained away as a lack of understanding by the Netherese. It's basically the Netherese persepctive, not the truth.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2020 :  15:29:13  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

No, because George already stole an obscure reference I was planning to exploit, so I'm back to the drawing board. I do have an idea though.

You don't get to break all the toys, Eric!

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2020 :  16:03:50  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric,

You should just steal it back. haha

What as the idea that was stolen? Dying to know now!

Best regards,

quote:

quote:

Eric,

Best regards,

quote:

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000