Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Software
 Most Liked Game
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

The Twin Scimitars
Seeker

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2005 :  04:04:40  Show Profile  Visit The Twin Scimitars's Homepage Send The Twin Scimitars a Private Message  Reply with Quote
2d is better than 3d but I dont know why its just the style. And I find that if the developers don't spend so much time on graphics then then the storyline and gameplay seem to be really good.

Endure, in enduring we grow strong.
-Dak'kon, Planescape Torment
Go to Top of Page

Effect
Acolyte

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2005 :  19:16:00  Show Profile  Visit Effect's Homepage Send Effect a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Honestly my favorite game has to be Forgotten Realms: Demon Stone. That's not to say I haven't play any of the others listed. I've played the BG series and really enjoyed it. The Icewind Dale games were good as well. I love story first and formost but those games just didn't pull me in the way Demon Stone did. I guess it's due to the cinamatic nature of Demon Stone allowed it to do that. I also thought the story was pretty good as well, fast paced. I just wish it was longer. Wasn't better then the other games but I liked it more then the others.

I have played the single player demo for Dragonshards. Honstly I think it's going to be pretty good. So far I've gotten the feeling that Dragonshards is pretty much what Lords of Everquest, the only Everquest RTS game was trying to be but failed to present itself as. Doubt this might be the case but it's almost like Liquid Entertainment saw Lords of Everquest and just set out to do a far better job and met with great success. I really like the RPG elements during the dungeon crawls and even on the surface map in the demo. Though I have to wait till the game comes out to see how city building really is.

I wish there would be another DnD game with the isometric view though. I miss that about games.
Go to Top of Page

The Defence Minister
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
218 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2005 :  14:50:42  Show Profile  Visit The Defence Minister's Homepage Send The Defence Minister a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Definately the original for me, an awesome storyline, great NPCs, great locations and generally a great game.

BG2 is almost as good though, the storyline is a bit weaker and the range of NPCs isnt as cool but it's just as fun and the compexity of it is nice as is the fact you become so much more powerful. Thone of Bhaal sucked majorly though.

Neverwinter Nights was OK, totally different style with a storyline that improved dramatically as the game progressed, some great twists and a fun battle style but I didnt like the graphical style nearly as much and not having a party was a let down too.

The Icewind Dale games are excellent also, though not as good as either BG. I enjoyed the storyline and, though I like finding characters along the way, it was a nice change to create my whole party. However, the major way it lost out was the lack of side quests, the fact that the main plot was all you could do, unlike the BGs and even NWN which have lots of little stuff for you to do.

Those are the only ones I have played on that list.

- TDM (Candlekeep's most popular, experienced and handsome member)
Go to Top of Page

The Twin Scimitars
Seeker

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2005 :  02:27:46  Show Profile  Visit The Twin Scimitars's Homepage Send The Twin Scimitars a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Im stopped playing Torment again(Im in the Alley of Lingering Sighs). I played it so much in so little time I had to stop it before I started declaring myself th Nameless One, talking to an "invisible" floating skull named Morte, and using the words *know* and *knowing* excessively.

Endure, in enduring we grow strong.
-Dak'kon, Planescape Torment
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2008 :  06:00:26  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
PoR: Ruins of Myth Drannor...

'Everyone dies...I only choose the time and place for a few.' --Eric Destler
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2008 :  15:55:12  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tanyn Midrain

What about Planescape: Torment? Or maybe that one doesn't count since it takes place in Sigil etc ?

P:T is not an Forgotten Realms game, it is a Planescape game, it just uses the same (Infinity) engine.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2008 :  08:11:39  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted the Eye of the Beholder Series because it was my first contact with the realms !!!

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

silverwizard
Seeker

Greece
76 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2008 :  13:11:38  Show Profile  Visit silverwizard's Homepage Send silverwizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Torment is by far the best. If it's not in the poll, then the arcades shouldn't be either (they're Mystara, aren't they?)

Edit: As for Realms games, BG2 is probably the best

Edited by - silverwizard on 16 Apr 2008 13:12:47
Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2008 :  14:42:34  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted for - Temple of Elemental Evil

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2008 :  18:11:26  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Victor_ograygor

I voted for - Temple of Elemental Evil

An unusual choice.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 16 Apr 2008 18:11:59
Go to Top of Page

Drakul
Senior Scribe

USA
367 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2008 :  19:15:48  Show Profile Send Drakul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Neverwinter Nights gets my vote.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDonLNKf6_KA9Qlal3Qu3zQ?view_as=subscriber
Go to Top of Page

Nanron
Acolyte

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2008 :  00:37:26  Show Profile  Visit Nanron's Homepage Send Nanron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pool of Radiance series from the 90's gets my vote. It has been years since I have thought of those games...doing the save game on my Commador 64....it took so long. But the memories of someone referencing the games was great.

Go to Top of Page

Mais-Cream
Acolyte

Netherlands
8 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2008 :  18:56:36  Show Profile  Visit Mais-Cream's Homepage Send Mais-Cream a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The choice was really really hard, as I really like almost all the games. However, I voted Baldurs Gate I, as it was the first FR game I played, and it introduced me to RPG (was playing Point and Clicks before that).

My hands covered in ink, slapping on a piece of paper.
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2008 :  21:52:10  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
nothing and i mean NOTHING comes close to adventuring (with real people around the globe) around user-created Realms areas in a 24/7 persistent world using NWN/NWN2

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2008 :  06:50:31  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coach

nothing and i mean NOTHING comes close to adventuring (with real people around the globe) around user-created Realms areas in a 24/7 persistent world using NWN/NWN2

Sorry coach, no video game has ever topped my imagination, no matter how many people were involved.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

yargarth
Seeker

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2008 :  08:01:07  Show Profile  Visit yargarth's Homepage Send yargarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i literally spent all day today playing NWN: SOU today. i really wish my internet was fast enough to engage in the multiplayer activities of NWN.

"You take a step, then another. That's the journey. But to take a step with your eyes open is not a journey at all, it's a remaking of your own mind."

-Orson Scott Card
Ender in Exile
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2008 :  20:48:30  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
BG1 will always have a place in my heart, considering I started playing it just after I was introduced to D&D (ah...the good ol days of 2nd ed...).

Although...Drizzt's overly-accented voice always grated on my nerves: "Dahs the mee-yah mention of drizzt, ah-trrrahct yoah illlk?" :D

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

ranger_of_the_unicorn_run
Learned Scribe

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2008 :  00:11:45  Show Profile Send ranger_of_the_unicorn_run a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arion Elenim

BG1 will always have a place in my heart, considering I started playing it just after I was introduced to D&D (ah...the good ol days of 2nd ed...).

Although...Drizzt's overly-accented voice always grated on my nerves: "Dahs the mee-yah mention of drizzt, ah-trrrahct yoah illlk?" :D

I always liked his english accent on Baldurs Gate: Dark Alliance for the Gamecube, even though I don't think it's very accurate.
Go to Top of Page

yargarth
Seeker

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2008 :  07:58:58  Show Profile  Visit yargarth's Homepage Send yargarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ranger_of_the_unicorn_run

quote:
Originally posted by Arion Elenim

I always liked his english accent on Baldurs Gate: Dark Alliance for the Gamecube, even though I don't think it's very accurate.

i believe that England is also Menzoberranzan.

"You take a step, then another. That's the journey. But to take a step with your eyes open is not a journey at all, it's a remaking of your own mind."

-Orson Scott Card
Ender in Exile
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2009 :  15:54:50  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Though I have played quite a lot of fantasy games after BG2, there has never been one that enchanted me as much as this one. I have played it several times and I will probably soon play it again.

Planescape Torment is also a great game, but I never finished it because graphics and handling where just a bit too out of date for my taste.

I also enjoyed Eye of the Beholder a long time ago back on MS-DOS. Loved the intro story in the manual involving Waterdeep.

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

AustinOfOsiris
Acolyte

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2009 :  15:58:05  Show Profile  Visit AustinOfOsiris's Homepage Send AustinOfOsiris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
IWD was my vote. BG 2, and NWN were close runners up though.
Go to Top of Page

Moonlight
Acolyte

25 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2009 :  20:19:40  Show Profile  Visit Moonlight's Homepage Send Moonlight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
BG I
BG II
Planescape: Torment
Icewind Dale

Sehanine is dreaming...
Go to Top of Page

belgarathmth
Acolyte

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2009 :  23:12:46  Show Profile  Visit belgarathmth's Homepage Send belgarathmth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted BG1, based on amount of time playing and restarting. The characters and story are so darned compelling!

I really didn't want to choose between Bg1 and BG2, since I see them as a continuation, i.e. one total story that should be taken as a whole.

I'm also a huge fan of Icewind Dale 1 and 2 and Neverwinter Nights 1 (especially builder content like The Aielund Saga.)

I like NWN2, sort of, but not nearly as much. They dumbed it down and made it so easy, the 'magic' is gone. I have the whole series through Storm of Zehir, but I've never even finished the main OC, much less even started Mask of the Betrayer.

I'll probably play Storm of Zehir before the rest, because it's more like Baldur's Gate, but they messed that up by not including premade npc's with optional (non-game-breaking) dialogue a la BG.

"Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this."
Go to Top of Page

slayer
Acolyte

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2009 :  17:53:47  Show Profile Send slayer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The "most liked" titles would definatly be Baldur's Gate then Planescape Torment, then Neverwinter Nights. These were all great games but the developers are only interested in sheer profit so creating games so in-depth that they would only interest hardcore fans is not an option.

"When you get to hell, tell em I sent ya, you'll get a discount"
Go to Top of Page

bladeinAmn
Learned Scribe

199 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2009 :  22:06:51  Show Profile  Visit bladeinAmn's Homepage Send bladeinAmn a Private Message  Reply with Quote

BGII: SoA + ToB for me.

I love the storyline, and the gameplay in it was enough for me that I haven't played a sports video game since I first loaded BG2 on my computer, 6yrs ago! So yeah, I absolutely love this game, especially w/all the good mods available!

BG1 + TotSC is 2nd for me. Just an amazing series.
Go to Top of Page

Kno
Senior Scribe

452 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2009 :  07:46:21  Show Profile Send Kno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Icewind Dale and ToB

z455t
Go to Top of Page

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2009 :  09:59:51  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

The original SSI gold box game "Pool of Radiance" is not listed. Hands down, that is the best Forgotten Realms computer game of them all.

Oh god yeah!!!

Many, many, many hours spent late at night completing Kuto's Well

I wish I could find a fix so the damn thing would work on Vista! last one I tried failed badly the game speed was just too much.

I'm even going to the lenghts of fixing up my V old 486 so I can play it....

"PLINK, PLINK, CRUNCH" DELZ SWEEPS

Happy gaming days

Delz

Edited by - Delzounblood on 22 Sep 2009 10:01:40
Go to Top of Page

Tyranthraxus
Senior Scribe

Netherlands
423 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2009 :  00:29:59  Show Profile  Visit Tyranthraxus's Homepage Send Tyranthraxus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delzounblood

Oh god yeah!!!

Many, many, many hours spent late at night completing Kuto's Well

I wish I could find a fix so the damn thing would work on Vista! last one I tried failed badly the game speed was just too much.

I'm even going to the lenghts of fixing up my V old 486 so I can play it....

"PLINK, PLINK, CRUNCH" DELZ SWEEPS

Happy gaming days

Delz

Did you try DOSBox ? It works for me.
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2010 :  08:48:32  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wanted to vote for Planescape: Torment. There are many features of gameplay I would gladly enjoy in Baldur's Gate 2, there is a nice plot and great freedom of action and choices. But since it is not here on the list, my vote to the second best game in my long scroll.

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.
Go to Top of Page

Talwyn
Learned Scribe

Australia
222 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2010 :  02:55:41  Show Profile  Visit Talwyn's Homepage Send Talwyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted for BGII.

As a follow up to BG, it was simply a leap ahead in both terms of scope, story and re-playability.

The fact that you, as the protagonist, could aquire a stronghold was just fabulous!

The numbers of quests, the little details and lore that were contained in that game make it one of the most important CRPG's of FR IMHO.

Although not quite as much as a "sandbox" that BG was, there were enough maps and such to explore. I think though though that the publishers, Bioware, could have released a lot more content and expansions for the game, as Throne of Bhaal was a little anti-climatic for me. I would have liked to been able to explore more of Amn, meet more NPC's and engage in more lengthy and complicated quests.

The other aspect that made BGII so special was that you had the option of starting a romantic plot line with some of the NPC's. Aerie, Jaheira and Viconia if you were male and that pompous oaf of a helmite who's name I forget if you were female. I think the girls got duded on the romance side and that showed a bais on the designers part which should not have been there.

There are some fan sites around that still produce mods and such for BG & BGII and that can add quite a bit of new fun to the game, especially if you've played it a lot of times before.

NWN 1 & 2 have good graphics and such but the BG series still beats them hands down.

I am hopeful that one day, a game as brilliant as BGII comes along again but we all know that lightning almost never strikes in the same place twice.

Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on.
Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun.
EAT LEADEN DEATH DEMON!
Terry Pratchett

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000