Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Wil Upchurch
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2005 :  14:26:02  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder if we'll see Good, Chaos and Law Nodes

I remember a while ago when I asked Ed Bonny about how Chaond and Zenthyri came about (see as how Invevitable and Slaads "Lack the appratus" to breed with another creature to create Half Axiomatic/Ancharist creatures and Plane touched and he suggested that Planetouched could appear as a result of exposure to areas which have seen considerable planar ties (Such as a gate or Portal to a plane)

For example 2 regular Humans concieve a child in an area near Hellsgate Keep, the evil nature of the area alters the child and when its born the parents find theyve given birth to a Tiefling even though neither parent was an outsider

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2005 :  16:51:11  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

I wonder if we'll see Good, Chaos and Law Nodes

For example 2 regular Humans concieve a child in an area near Hellsgate Keep, the evil nature of the area alters the child and when its born the parents find theyve given birth to a Tiefling even though neither parent was an outsider

Interesting. Very cool idea but I'd make it a half-fiend just to freak them out even more. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 23 May 2005 00:29:16
Go to Top of Page

Wil_Upchurch
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2005 :  19:17:37  Show Profile  Visit Wil_Upchurch's Homepage Send Wil_Upchurch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I also think there should be a Evil Node where Bhaal died as it tainted the area with his evilness (ie the River becoming poisoness etc)

Aha! It was Bhaal after all...I knew there was a river involved. :) Yeah, I thought that might be a decent place for an evil node, but like I said...I decided I don't like the idea of gods making evil nodes. :)

Wil Upchurch
15th-Level Freelancer
magewebmaster@yahoo.com
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2005 :  00:14:12  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A couple of other places I reckon should have evil nodes

Narfell (I imagine there would be several within its former boarders)

Ruins of Hellsgate Keep

Dragonspear Castle

Spider Swamp

Under the sea off the Coast of Waterdeep where Mykruls ashes settled (theres a new Temple to Mykrul out there)

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2005 :  01:12:51  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

A couple of other places I reckon should have evil nodes

Narfell (I imagine there would be several within its former boarders)

Yes indeedy do. Not just Narfell but most of the east in fact. It's not known as "the Demonlands" for nothing, you know.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2005 :  01:59:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd prefer to see evil nodes in the Demonlands which have variable classes, rather than just some standard type. Maybe a few 1, 2, and 3 classes spread around... with one or two 4 or 5 class evil nodes concentrated in Narfell and the surrounding lands.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 23 May 2005 02:01:08
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2005 :  03:13:22  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I'd prefer to see evil nodes in the Demonlands which have variable classes, rather than just some standard type. Maybe a few 1, 2, and 3 classes spread around... with one or two 4 or 5 class evil nodes concentrated in Narfell and the surrounding lands.

Id argue that the level of the Node should be based on the creature or event that created it

Kezef presence created a Level 7 Evil node near Waterdeep and Imagine a God (either by dying or spending alot of time in the place ie Moander under Yulash would create a level 6-7 Node.

The presence of an Demon prince/Arch Devi/Slaad Lord in an area might create a 4-5 level evil Node. There might be one beneath Eltabbar due to Eltabs presence.

The presence of regular Evil Outsiders over an extended period might create a level 3 node ie Hellsgate Keep

A level 2 node might appear where mortals have commited acts of Genocide ie Thosands of sentient beings dying outside of Battle

A level 1 node could be created by the long term presense of an evil Temple or site where sentient sacrifice took place on a regular basis over an extened period.

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2005 :  04:29:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Id argue that the level of the Node should be based on the creature or event that created it
In retrospect, I'd probably assume the same. In fact, I like your ideas here. However, I'd still keep the higher class evil nodes down to a low number -- maybe two or three at the most.

quote:
The presence of an Demon prince/Arch Devi/Slaad Lord in an area might create a 4-5 level evil Node. There might be one beneath Eltabbar due to Eltabs presence.
I'd rather see a Slaad Lord create a chaos node, if they are ever detailed in some future product. Lawful or evil nodes would remain with demon prince and arch devils however...

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2005 :  05:32:05  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
I'd rather see a Slaad Lord create a chaos node, if they are ever detailed in some future product. Lawful or evil nodes would remain with demon prince and arch devils however...

I may end up doing Lawful Node as part of my Zenthyri in the Fr article. The concept would fit in quite well

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Torkwaret
Seeker

Poland
82 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2005 :  13:02:00  Show Profile Send Torkwaret a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dear Will Upchurch !!

I've found a question on the WOTC boards about a feat from Champions of Ruin I'd too like to get answered, so I post it here:

quote:
"...a feat on page 124 possessed by Leargath, called "Shadows of the Soul". I was wondering, Mr. Upchurch, if that was a feat that was considered but ultimately excluded from CoR for whatever reason. If it was, would you mind filling us in on its use?

I haven't heard of it, but maybe it's a feat from another book. If that's the case, you need only name the source if you don't mind and I'll look it up myself..."

Thanks !

...Mene Mene Tekel Upharsin...

Edited by - Torkwaret on 29 May 2005 13:03:47
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2005 :  14:47:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think 'Shadows of the Soul' is a feat from another D&D resource. I just run a search through the updated online listing (as well as the Bookwyrm's Feats list ), and came up empty.

Perhaps Mr Upchurch will know more...

Go to Top of Page

Wil_Upchurch

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2005 :  20:01:34  Show Profile  Visit Wil_Upchurch's Homepage Send Wil_Upchurch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I don't think 'Shadows of the Soul' is a feat from another D&D resource. I just run a search through the updated online listing (as well as the Bookwyrm's Feats list ), and came up empty.

Perhaps Mr Upchurch will know more...

I still don't have my books, but that feat was part of my turnover; it sounds like it was cut from the manuscript.

Wil Upchurch
15th-Level Freelancer
magewebmaster@yahoo.com
Go to Top of Page

Torkwaret
Seeker

Poland
82 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2005 :  21:15:01  Show Profile Send Torkwaret a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah Hah !! Well it seems you are right, it definitely isn't in the book.

Would it be possible to post it here on the boards...

Go to Top of Page

LordEverhate
Acolyte

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2005 :  04:28:11  Show Profile  Visit LordEverhate's Homepage Send LordEverhate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Damn Wil, I see you hit the big time eh? No more FFG for you, I guess ;)

So, how ya been? Haven't seen you in #dnd3e in a while.

Shawn Muder
Realms of Evil
http://www.realmsofevil.net/
EN World Newshound
http://www.enworld.org/
Go to Top of Page

Wil_Upchurch

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2005 :  06:48:48  Show Profile  Visit Wil_Upchurch's Homepage Send Wil_Upchurch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LordEverhate

Damn Wil, I see you hit the big time eh? No more FFG for you, I guess ;).

Hey, Midnight 2nd Edition just hit the shelves! ;)

Wil Upchurch
15th-Level Freelancer
magewebmaster@yahoo.com
Go to Top of Page

Prince Forge of Avalon
Learned Scribe

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2005 :  07:18:29  Show Profile  Visit Prince Forge of Avalon's Homepage Send Prince Forge of Avalon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And I very much plan on getting Midnight2nd Ed along with Waterdeep asap.

Though I love the Realms DEEPLY dont leave midnight hanging if you have a choice; I beg thee!!

PFoA
Go to Top of Page

LordEverhate
Acolyte

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2005 :  18:13:03  Show Profile  Visit LordEverhate's Homepage Send LordEverhate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wil_Upchurch

quote:
Originally posted by LordEverhate

Damn Wil, I see you hit the big time eh? No more FFG for you, I guess ;).

Hey, Midnight 2nd Edition just hit the shelves! ;)

Can you summarize the changes here? I spent 35 bucks on the first book, after all. :)

I really wish FFG hadn't dropped the whole 'work for hire' thing. I really did like writing for them and really wanted to work on Midnight and Dawnforge. :-/

Shawn Muder
Realms of Evil
http://www.realmsofevil.net/
EN World Newshound
http://www.enworld.org/
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2005 :  03:59:31  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*Sees Will lurking in the forums*

Hows that sequel to Forest of Blood going Wil?

*Cracks Whip*

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Wil_Upchurch

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2005 :  05:34:57  Show Profile  Visit Wil_Upchurch's Homepage Send Wil_Upchurch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

*Cracks Whip*

Well, let's just say that after several recent forays into Waterdeep, I hope your characters are ready to head North for some epic adventure. ;)

Wil Upchurch
15th-Level Freelancer
magewebmaster@yahoo.com
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2005 :  06:00:17  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

*Cracks Whip*

Well, let's just say that after several recent forays into Waterdeep, I hope your characters are ready to head North for some epic adventure. ;)

Cool!

If Eric Mona keeps this up he must just wringle a Dungeon Subscription out of me

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Torkwaret
Seeker

Poland
82 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2005 :  16:34:00  Show Profile Send Torkwaret a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Will !!

So, once again, what can you tell us about the Shadows of the Soul feat ??

Thanks

Go to Top of Page

Wil_Upchurch

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2005 :  23:57:07  Show Profile  Visit Wil_Upchurch's Homepage Send Wil_Upchurch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Torkwaret

Hello Will !!

So, once again, what can you tell us about the Shadows of the Soul feat ??

Thanks

Howdy Tork,

Actually I can't expound on that feat, as it's part of a larger system that might be included in a future book (I just found that out recently). Just replace that feat with Stealthy. :)

Wil Upchurch
15th-Level Freelancer
magewebmaster@yahoo.com
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2005 :  00:01:09  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have Pazio told you what issue your next FR module will appear in?

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Wil_Upchurch

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2005 :  05:18:18  Show Profile  Visit Wil_Upchurch's Homepage Send Wil_Upchurch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yes. :D

Wil Upchurch
15th-Level Freelancer
magewebmaster@yahoo.com
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2005 :  05:36:40  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

*Picks up Rod of Smiting*

Care to share which issue?

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Wil_Upchurch

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2005 :  04:25:22  Show Profile  Visit Wil_Upchurch's Homepage Send Wil_Upchurch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

*Picks up Rod of Smiting*

Care to share which issue?

I haven't seen my contract yet, so that means it's not set in stone. My info is based on a conversation at Gencon, but if that holds up you won't have long to wait.

Wil Upchurch
15th-Level Freelancer
magewebmaster@yahoo.com
Go to Top of Page

daarkknight
Seeker

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2005 :  03:22:28  Show Profile Send daarkknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So Wil, can you at least confirm what we've seen elsewhere about your collaboration on a book titled "Mysteries of the Moonsea?"

Daarkknight

"That's it!"
Quote attributed to Talor Stormhammer, paladin of Helm, when fighting a frost giant.
Go to Top of Page

Wil_Upchurch

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2005 :  03:28:19  Show Profile  Visit Wil_Upchurch's Homepage Send Wil_Upchurch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daarkknight

So Wil, can you at least confirm what we've seen elsewhere about your collaboration on a book titled "Mysteries of the Moonsea?"

Daarkknight

A little late, as Amazon scooped me, but yes, I worked on Mysteries of the Moonsea.

Wil Upchurch
15th-Level Freelancer
magewebmaster@yahoo.com
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2005 :  03:45:48  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Apparently your module will be in Dungeon 129

The Twisted Run
by Wil Upchurch
Faerun’s Northlands have always been a dangerous frontier. The frozen woods and treacherous mountains are home to orcs, trolls, lycanthropes, and worse. When the Lady Alustriel brought the northern nations together, the Beastlord Malar could no longer watch as his wilderness was slowly civilized. The god chose his most worthy follower, anth-Malar, suffused him with divine essence, and tasked him with bringing devastation and chaos to all who defiled the wilderness. A FORGOTTEN REALMS adventure for 17th-level characters.

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks

Edited by - Dargoth on 20 Oct 2005 03:49:19
Go to Top of Page

Wil_Upchurch

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  06:41:50  Show Profile  Visit Wil_Upchurch's Homepage Send Wil_Upchurch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Apparently your module will be in Dungeon 129

The Twisted Run
by Wil Upchurch
Faerun’s Northlands have always been a dangerous frontier. The frozen woods and treacherous mountains are home to orcs, trolls, lycanthropes, and worse. When the Lady Alustriel brought the northern nations together, the Beastlord Malar could no longer watch as his wilderness was slowly civilized. The god chose his most worthy follower, anth-Malar, suffused him with divine essence, and tasked him with bringing devastation and chaos to all who defiled the wilderness. A FORGOTTEN REALMS adventure for 17th-level characters.

Yes, that caught me by surprise. Next time I have the crazy idea to write a high-level module, SHOOT ME.

Wil Upchurch
15th-Level Freelancer
magewebmaster@yahoo.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000