Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Crown of the God of the Dead.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2005 :  13:26:42  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Greetings to all forum memnbers who read this topic! I well have a question I would like to ask all the forum members, is that does anyone have any information on the Crown of Myrkul and a party known as the Nine that went on the mission to destroy the Crown, and how was the Crown destroyed?
I had checked the net and books but could not find information that is helpful and can answer my questions. I offer thanks and appreciation to any forum member who can reply to these questions. Even if the answers could not be found, I will still like to thank all forum members for reading my post.
Thanks to all!

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2005 :  14:43:14  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some information on The Crown of Horns and The Nine can be found in Laeral Silverhand's write up within the gaming supplement, The Seven Sisters.

That tome details the surviving members of the group and Laeral's history while under the crown's influence. Additionally, Evermeet: Island of Elves revealed that Laeral had a child while under the crown's influence.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2005 :  14:45:04  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Crown of Horns was an evil artifact created by an archwizard of Netheril.

After many millenia it ended up in the hands of Laeral, Chosen of Mystra and leader of the adventuring group known as the Nine. How did it end up in her hands? Well, let's all read "Champions of Ruin" when it comes out, shall we ...

The Crown of Horns drove her mad and she was only rescued after the intervention of Khelben "Blackstaff" Arunsun, who shattered the crown and freed Laeral from its influence.

During the Time of Troubles, Myrkul's essence stole into the shattered pieces of the Crown (at that time kept 'safe' in a vault in Blackstaff Tower) after he was attacked by Midnight/Mystra. He teleported the Crown of Horns to Skullport in Undermountain where a yuan-ti named Nhyris donned it.

Nhyris subsequently fled Skullport and I believe has lost the Crown of Horns as noted in the recent book "Serpent Kingdoms" (p.143). Its current whereabouts and status are unknown.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2005 :  14:47:33  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you mean the Crown of Heroes, it was found by the Nine, which was led by Laerel Silverhand, who donned the Crown and was turned to evil by it, causing the Nine to split into warring factions.

Laerel was saved by Khelben Arunsun who managed to destroy the crown from her and restore her sanity.

When Myrkul was slain during the Time of Troubles his essence lept into the nearest major artefact of his faith - the Crown of Heroes - whose pieces was stored in Blackstaff tower.
Whilst Myrkul lost most or all of his divine power to Cyric, he wasn't going to just lie down and die. Instead he filled the shards of the Crown with his essence, and after a decade had restored it into an artefact controlled by the will of the dead god.
Myrkul initially spent a year teleporting around, allowing himself to be worn by different persons.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Kajehase on 13 Apr 2005 14:48:33
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2005 :  17:10:57  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The stats are in um Volo's Guide to All Thing's Magical, Skullport, and Magic of Faerun for 3e's conversion.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 13 Apr 2005 17:12:14
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2005 :  17:17:53  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Didn't Magic of Faerun talked about how the Crown of Horns is trying to disrupt the plans of the Church of Cyric as Myrkul wanted revenge against Cyric for stealing his portfolio? It could possibly be in an area that's concentrated with the worship of the Dark Sun...

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2005 :  17:29:28  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shouldn`t Myrkul be more pissed with Kelemvor right now? He is the current lord of the dead.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2005 :  17:34:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by khorne

Shouldn`t Myrkul be more pissed with Kelemvor right now? He is the current lord of the dead.

Maybe, maybe not... Kel didn't take it from Myrkul, he took it from Cyric. So Myrkul might let it slide...

On the other hand, Myrkul certainly wouldn't agree with how Kel is running the show.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2005 :  10:17:48  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, thanks to all forum members for the replies & pardon, i thought some sources in the net claimed that the crown was well forged by Myrkul himself so that he could store some of its essence away and it possessed Laeral Silverhand and turned her into a mad woman or murderer?(murderer, which some net sources claimed.) But Myrkul simply stole back the shards some time later.
Well, I am just confused, so my apologies to all forum members if my statements seemed to contradict the replies.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2005 :  14:06:21  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great. I thought Myrkul was dead and buried and now I find out that a part of him is still active. What does it take to permanently kill a god so that there is no chanse whatsoever of him/her coming back?

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2005 :  15:03:48  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
What does it take to permanently kill a god so that there is no chanse whatsoever of him/her coming back?

Faiths & Avatars addresses killing a deity. But, even with respect to that tome, if a designer/author/company wishes to bring a God back, it will happen.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2005 :  17:34:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Great. I thought Myrkul was dead and buried and now I find out that a part of him is still active. What does it take to permanently kill a god so that there is no chanse whatsoever of him/her coming back?

If it's any consolation, while Myrkul is indeed still around, it's not as a deity. He's the intelligence controlling an artifact now, and is apparently satisfied with this, since he's not interested in reclaiming his former godhood (he likes causing trouble without Ao looking over his shoulder).

Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2005 :  01:26:25  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Myrkul likes to go after Cyricists because as Wooly said, it was Cyric that stole his spot, not Kelemvor. Also, Cyricists are easier to influence and seduce with the evil powers of the crown than Kelemvorites (sp?).

Go to Top of Page

Remus
Acolyte

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2005 :  01:38:31  Show Profile  Visit Remus's Homepage Send Remus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

He teleported the Crown of Horns to Skullport in Undermountain where a yuan-ti named Nhyris donned it.

Nhyris subsequently fled Skullport and I believe has lost the Crown of Horns as noted in the recent book "Serpent Kingdoms" (p.143). Its current whereabouts and status are unknown.

According to Magic of Faerun, if the Crown transforms a creature into a lich and teleports away, the creature is destroyed. If Nhyris was transformed into a lich and no longer has the Crown, why wasn't he destroyed?

"Finally the flesh reflects the madness within."

-- Remus Lupin--
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2005 :  02:09:20  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Remus, this is only after wearing the crown for a period of one year. If it's not for one year, the wearer of the crown would turn crazy and destroy anything in his path to retreive the item.

Go to Top of Page

Adarin
Acolyte

30 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2005 :  10:44:24  Show Profile  Visit Adarin's Homepage Send Adarin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Then how was the crown destroyed?

There will always be parting of ways which is never of your preference.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2005 :  11:23:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Adarin

Then how was the crown destroyed?

Khelben managed to partially destroy it when he was rescuing Laeral. But since Myrkul inhabited the pieces of the Crown, its reformed and is out in the world somewhere.

Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2005 :  05:05:14  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Probably with one of his zealous followers whom he deemed is good enough to keep the crown till his glory is restored.
Just a guess only.

Go to Top of Page

Darkhund
Acolyte

34 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2006 :  18:40:06  Show Profile  Visit Darkhund's Homepage Send Darkhund a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
If it's any consolation, while Myrkul is indeed still around, it's not as a deity. He's the intelligence controlling an artifact now, and is apparently satisfied with this, since he's not interested in reclaiming his former godhood (he likes causing trouble without Ao looking over his shoulder).

Where does it say he doesn't want to reclaim his godhood, if I might ask?
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2006 :  18:49:00  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Darkhund

the City of Splenders 2E box set? thats my first thought...

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2006 :  19:17:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Darkhund

quote:

Page 100 of Campaign Guide to the City, Book 1 of the City of Splendors boxed set:

quote:
Myrkul actually enjoys his new existence and the ability to foment dissent, chaos, and death without the strictures inherent in being one of Ao's gods; his greatest satisfaction is in disrupting the organization of the Cyric-worshipers and in destroying any worshipers of Mystra (who caused Myrkul's destruction).

While a DM is certainly free to decide that Myrkul wants his old job back, I think there's much more potential in having a former deity popping around, stirring up trouble and generally enjoying himself. He certainly doesn't have all of the benefits of being a deity, like he once had, but at the same time, he's totally free of the responsibilities and restrictions.

I love the idea of Myrkul staying the way he is. It's a fun one.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 26 Oct 2006 19:18:00
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2006 :  19:32:04  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
While a DM is certainly free to decide that Myrkul wants his old job back, I think there's much more potential in having a former deity popping around, stirring up trouble and generally enjoying himself. He certainly doesn't have all of the benefits of being a deity, like he once had, but at the same time, he's totally free of the responsibilities and restrictions.

I love the idea of Myrkul staying the way he is. It's a fun one.

isn't the Crown of Horns/Myrkul story fleshed out further in Skullport? That is where the whole Yuan-ti thing started (isn't it?)

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand
Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2006 :  19:57:23  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The history of the Crown of Horns

The Crown of Horns is an evil, intelligent artifact of great power from the Forgotten Realms Dungeons & Dragons campaign setting. Forged by a Netherese arcanist and enchanted by Myrkul, the former god of the dead, it carries with it a long history of corruption and tragedy.

At one point, the 'Crown' possessed Laeral Silverhand, one of the Seven Sisters, and was sundered by her husband, the archmage Khelben "Blackstaff" Arunsun, who locked its pieces away within the heavily-protected walls of his tower. However, when Myrkul died at Midnight's hand during the Time of Troubles, the god tore the broken shards of the Crown from Blackstaff Tower, reforged it in a new shape, and infused it with the remains of his sentience before teleporting away. To this day, Myrkul, through the Crown, has been spreading evil through the Realms, tormenting members of the Church of Cyric as well as hapless innocents.

The 'Crown of Horns' appears as a silver circlet with a black diamond set on the brow and four bone horns mounted around its edge. It imbues the wearer with several considerable necromantic powers - including the unique "Myrkul's Hand" property - but has a tendency to strongly influence that action of the wearer, changing his alignment to neutral evil and gradually making him into an undead creature, among other things.

The Crown of Horns was last seen in the possession of a yuan-ti pureblood named Nhyris D'Hothek, who disappeared from his haunts in Skullport in 1370 DR, after the Crown transformed him into a lich. People and creatures who have remained dedicated to Myrkul after, or have become dedicated to him since, his demise, devote themselves to him through the Crown of Horns and are known as 'Horned Harbingers' - Nhyris included. The statistics for the Crown can be found in the Forgotten Realms 3rd edition book 'Magic of Faerun'.

References
City of Splendors boxed set
Volo's Guide To All Things Magical
Magic of Faerun

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2006 :  20:36:20  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
More info on the Crown and the person that let Laeral "find" it can be found in Champions of Ruin.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2006 :  20:49:02  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What pages Kuje? I'd like to look that up for my reading enjoyment. After all I just finished the last book of the Final Gate series. Awesome books!

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2006 :  21:20:20  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wandering_mage

What pages Kuje? I'd like to look that up for my reading enjoyment. After all I just finished the last book of the Final Gate series. Awesome books!

Aumvor's write up. :)

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2006 :  01:29:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

More info on the Crown and the person that let Laeral "find" it can be found in Champions of Ruin.

As well as a few of Eric and George's replies here at Candlekeep.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

David E
Seeker

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2006 :  16:43:55  Show Profile  Visit David E's Homepage Send David E a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Is it located in the So Saith Ed PDFs? I did a search of the index for all three years and couldn't find an entry on the Crown of Horns.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2006 :  16:57:51  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David E

quote:

Is it located in the So Saith Ed PDFs? I did a search of the index for all three years and couldn't find an entry on the Crown of Horns.

It's probably in the other game designers thread that is on my web page, not the Ed replies. :) In other words, link 3 and 4 on my web page.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2006 :  17:03:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David E

quote:

No. They should be in the "Lore from the Sages" section, but I've just performed a quick search through them which hasn't turned up the replies I was referring to.

I'll just send you the compiled "Crown of Horns" reply file I made for the CoH section of the Candlekeep's Guide to Forgotten Realms FAQ. Alternatively, you could just search through the compiled reply files stored on Kuje's site.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 27 Oct 2006 17:06:59
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000