Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Dracorages
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2005 :  23:35:58  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic

Has anyone ever listed all years that the Dragons have raged in Faeruns history?

From memory

1374 (not a true Dragorage)

1357-58

The Year King Zaor becomes King of Evermeet

Theres another one mentioned in Evermeet a Novel (Where Elven High mages cast a spell that kills all the Dragons including their mounts

Looking at the Grand History of the Realms there appears to be a couple of times where "Dragon Flights" have appeared but they havent been tied to the Dracorage

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks

Thureen Buroch
Learned Scribe

169 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2005 :  04:10:55  Show Profile  Visit Thureen Buroch's Homepage Send Thureen Buroch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What's a Dracorage? I might be more helpful if you can fill me in on this bit of Realmslore ...

Goblins? *Slash* *Scream* *Thunk* What goblins?
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2005 :  04:24:00  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Every couple of Hundred years or so the Dragons go on a rampage destroying everything they can

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2005 :  04:48:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

1357-58
The Dragon Flight that *killed* Sylune occured in 1356 DR.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2005 :  05:37:27  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder why the wryms will go on a rampage every few hundred years, something that drove them to go on a rampage?

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2005 :  05:43:12  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadovar

I wonder why the wryms will go on a rampage every few hundred years, something that drove them to go on a rampage?

Read Richard Byers Year of Rogue Dragon trilogy for the answer to that

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2005 :  13:00:34  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You know that song...Blame Canada? Well, substitute a certain race for Canada and you have your answer.
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2005 :  15:06:35  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I think the mythal that cause frenzy in wryms mentioned in the Year of Rogue Dragon trilogy must be some kind of ticking clock.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2005 :  15:17:23  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:

You know that song...Blame Canada? Well, substitute a certain race for Canada and you have your answer.

Um ...oozes?

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Kajehase on 02 Jul 2005 15:17:56
Go to Top of Page

Beowulf
Learned Scribe

Canada
322 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2005 :  15:18:19  Show Profile  Visit Beowulf's Homepage Send Beowulf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Seeing as how Algashon instigated a Rage to destroy his CotD rival, Drakewing, and an entire fledgling kingdom along with him, it seems like there is more than one source for the occurrence. Sometimes it has to do with this elfin mythal thing -- if thats the way one choses to take it in their own customized FR -- but at other times it has to do with human manipulations. It might still have other causes, such as population/migration, depending on the *specific* occurence in question.

"Ill tempered the wretch, who laughs at everyone. He cannot recognize, as he should, that he is not without faults." the High One, Poetic Edda
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2005 :  23:58:14  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Theres also the Kingkiller comet which causes a Dragon rage every time it passes near Faerun

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2005 :  01:03:42  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The 2E boxed set states that a Rage of Dragons occurs approximately every 300 years - although revealed realmslore to date wouldn't support such a contention.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2005 :  01:25:37  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is it possible that someone (or multiple someones) might have figured out where the Mythal was and how to manipulate it before Sammaster did?
Go to Top of Page

Beowulf
Learned Scribe

Canada
322 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2005 :  03:04:30  Show Profile  Visit Beowulf's Homepage Send Beowulf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Is it possible that someone (or multiple someones) might have figured out where the Mythal was and how to manipulate it before Sammaster did?

Well, if Sammaster could do it, and then if the heroes of the tale could put it all together themselves, it stands to reason that numerous other interested folk would also have the capability of learning of the mythal, locating it, and possibly manipulating it too.

"Ill tempered the wretch, who laughs at everyone. He cannot recognize, as he should, that he is not without faults." the High One, Poetic Edda
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2005 :  03:20:02  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beowulf

quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Well, if Sammaster could do it, and then if the heroes of the tale could put it all together themselves, it stands to reason that numerous other interested folk would also have the capability of learning of the mythal, locating it, and possibly manipulating it too.

Still, I think the elven mythal is a sophisticated creation of elven high magic and might take more than a few centuries to analyze and fully comprehend the workings of the mythal. Sammaster got all the time in the world to do it as afterall he was a lich but Sammaster was no elven high mage, so I believe he increased the wryms' frenzy accidentally while studying and playing around with the mythal, for I think I recall the books saying Sammaster doesn't know what to do with the mythal causing the wryms to go amok becomes even more powerful for him to do anything much less control.

Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2020 :  19:38:11  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader Dargoth (and any new folk interested),

Here is the total list that I believe to be accurate at the link below:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Rage_of_Dragons

Best regards,

quote:

Has anyone ever listed all years that the Dragons have raged in Faeruns history?

From memory

1374 (not a true Dragorage)

1357-58

The Year King Zaor becomes King of Evermeet

Theres another one mentioned in Evermeet a Novel (Where Elven High mages cast a spell that kills all the Dragons including their mounts

Looking at the Grand History of the Realms there appears to be a couple of times where "Dragon Flights" have appeared but they havent been tied to the Dracorage

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2020 :  04:18:21  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
FRC1: Ruins of Adventure (Pool of Radiance) describes Phlan on the Moonsea reeling from a "recent" (circa 1356DR). But it also makes a passing reference to an earlier "mini-dracorage" (perhaps circa 1340DR-1345DR) which impacted Sokol Keel and Cadorna's textile business.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2020 :  04:23:45  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader Ayrik,

Holy cow! Nice find!

That is awesome. A mini-dracorage: I am on this tonight, with that adventure.

Thanks again.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

FRC1: Ruins of Adventure (Pool of Radiance) describes Phlan on the Moonsea reeling from a "recent" (circa 1356DR). But it also makes a passing reference to an earlier "mini-dracorage" (perhaps circa 1340DR-1345DR) which impacted Sokol Keel and Cadorna's textile business.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring

Edited by - cpthero2 on 22 Feb 2020 15:59:34
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2020 :  15:38:39  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A mini-Dracorage is called a Flight of Dragons.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2020 :  16:00:33  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Krashos,

Thank you for clarifying that. I did not realize that!

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

A mini-Dracorage is called a Flight of Dragons.

-- George Krashos

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000