Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The Iron Throne
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lucius
Seeker

98 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2005 :  11:45:46  Show Profile  Visit Lucius's Homepage Send Lucius a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Mainly I remember these from Baldur's Gate, but I'm aware they were also in 2nd Edition Realms. I bought the Realms campaign setting last week, and for some odd reason, they're nowhere to be seen. Why is this? Are they no more, or too small an organisation to be featured? Perhaps they will feature in an upcoming supplement? I think a "The North" book would be fantastic.

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2005 :  11:49:24  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
3ed Lords of Darkness has more info on them

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2005 :  15:20:48  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lucius

Mainly I remember these from Baldur's Gate, but I'm aware they were also in 2nd Edition Realms.

Yes, the most detailed write up I've seen of the organization came in the 2e supplement, Cloak & Dagger. That tome has about 8 or 9 pages devoted to this group.
Go to Top of Page

Rudar Dimble
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2005 :  08:48:20  Show Profile  Visit Rudar Dimble's Homepage Send Rudar Dimble a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lucius

Mainly I remember these from Baldur's Gate, but I'm aware they were also in 2nd Edition Realms. I bought the Realms campaign setting last week, and for some odd reason, they're nowhere to be seen. Why is this? Are they no more, or too small an organisation to be featured? Perhaps they will feature in an upcoming supplement? I think a "The North" book would be fantastic.

Unfortunately WotC seems to be refusing to publish 'region supplements'. TSR did a far more better job on that. The upcoming book of Waterdeep seems to be an exception to this rule, although I doubt it will be as good as the 2nd edition stuff about the City of Splendors

Jesus saves... and takes ½ damage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2005 :  11:31:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rudar Dimble

Unfortunately WotC seems to be refusing to publish 'region supplements'. TSR did a far more better job on that. The upcoming book of Waterdeep seems to be an exception to this rule, although I doubt it will be as good as the 2nd edition stuff about the City of Splendors

Really? Then what were Unapproachable East, Shining South, Underdark, and Silver Marches?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Rudar Dimble
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2005 :  12:20:25  Show Profile  Visit Rudar Dimble's Homepage Send Rudar Dimble a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Really? Then what were Unapproachable East, Shining South, Underdark, and Silver Marches?

Books full of spells, PrC's and feats. They hardly provide you with a desent amount of lore, rumors and interesting plot hooks...at least not compared to 2nd edition boxes.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2005 :  12:46:07  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
The upcoming book of Waterdeep seems to be an exception to this rule, although I doubt it will be as good as the 2nd edition stuff about the City of Splendors

You might be pleasantly suprised.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Rudar Dimble
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2005 :  13:27:57  Show Profile  Visit Rudar Dimble's Homepage Send Rudar Dimble a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:
The upcoming book of Waterdeep seems to be an exception to this rule, although I doubt it will be as good as the 2nd edition stuff about the City of Splendors

You might be pleasantly suprised.

-- George Krashos

I'd like to see that first. So far WotC haven't realy surprised me very pleasantly .
BTW: I'm not saying things like: "WotC s**ks. Everything was better when TSR still had the rights." The 3rd edition is a great advancement in role-playing. I just think the supplements TSR published were far better than the things WotC is trying to sell.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2005 :  13:36:21  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Books full of spells, PrC's and feats. They hardly provide you with a desent amount of lore, rumors and interesting plot hooks...at least not compared to 2nd edition boxes.

I understand the frustration at seeing tomes filled with spells, feats, and PrCs that could instead have pages of lore, history, and background. But, if Lost Empires of Faerun is any indication, WOTC might have found the right balance of producing a gaming supplement that appeals to passionate FR fans and yet still is appealing to the non-FR DM.

That fact is why I remain optimistic about the Waterdeep gaming product coming out in a few short months. I don't envy the author. The City of Splendors is my, and many others, favorite city. If the gaming product isn't exactly perfect, I'm sure the author will be burned in effigy on these and other message boards. If the tome is wonderful, I'm sure some scribes will simply say, "Well, he had all that material from previous editions to draw from."
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2005 :  16:51:55  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack
I understand the frustration at seeing tomes filled with spells, feats, and PrCs that could instead have pages of lore, history, and background. But, if Lost Empires of Faerun is any indication, WOTC might have found the right balance of producing a gaming supplement that appeals to passionate FR fans and yet still is appealing to the non-FR DM.

That fact is why I remain optimistic about the Waterdeep gaming product coming out in a few short months. I don't envy the author. The City of Splendors is my, and many others, favorite city. If the gaming product isn't exactly perfect, I'm sure the author will be burned in effigy on these and other message boards. If the tome is wonderful, I'm sure some scribes will simply say, "Well, he had all that material from previous editions to draw from."

Hey wait, I've already said some of that last comment..... Whistles innocently and walks away.

And I never burn game designers, seriously. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2005 :  17:00:06  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31
Hey wait, I've already said some of that last comment.....

See, I do listen to you....sometimes.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000