Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 Lost archives...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2005 :  02:40:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Okay... So, someone asked about the Roll of Years, recently. I looked around, and found a link to the original document on the Wizards site. Poking around on my hard drive this eve, I found another link -- this time, to the alphabetical listing of the years.

What I couldn't find, however, even with help from Google, was the page these files are linked to. As in, where is it listed that you could click to download those files? The files are still on their website, so surely somewhere there is a link to them...

Oh, and if you didn't already know, the search engine on that page is a joke. It's about as reliable as a tinker gnome invention...

Here on the Candlekeep page, in the 2000 archives, I found the link to where the files originally were -- but that page is gone. There were three other files listed (the descriptions are from Big Al, I assume):

Moonsea Fauna - says it all, Fauna of the Moonsea region.
The Scrolls and the Dwarves - Fiction of the Tethyamar dwarves.

Needless to say, I can't find these files (the third file, the spell Shadow Storm, I was able to locate by experimenting with URLs). I should like to, though. Does anyone know where I can locate them, or better yet, have them to share?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 07 Apr 2005 02:41:23

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2005 :  03:53:32  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Okay... So, someone asked about the Roll of Years, recently. I looked around, and found a link to the original document on the Wizards site. Poking around on my hard drive this eve, I found another link -- this time, to the alphabetical listing of the years.

What I couldn't find, however, even with help from Google, was the page these files are linked to. As in, where is it listed that you could click to download those files? The files are still on their website, so surely somewhere there is a link to them...

Okay, very long story, but if I'm understanding correctly, you are looking for a link to where you can download and/or save a listing of the Roll of Years in alphabetical order, correct?

If that's the case, will this work?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2005 :  06:17:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh no, that's not the case. I know the files are still on the Wizards page, and I have the URLs for them. I just can't find the "for the alphabetical list, click here page" -- the links I have are directly to the files.

No, what I'm looking for is the article and fiction listed above in bold. They appeared in early 2000 on the Wizards page, and their archives only go to late 2000. If those files are still on the Wizards page, I can't find them. But I want them!

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2005 :  06:30:00  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
No, what I'm looking for is the article and fiction listed above in bold. They appeared in early 2000 on the Wizards page, and their archives only go to late 2000. If those files are still on the Wizards page, I can't find them. But I want them!

Ah, okay, sorry for the confusion. I recall the page you are describing now. You didn't save it when you had the chance while knowing the WOTC site's history? You do think Tymora smiles upon you all the time don't you?
Go to Top of Page

Mareka
Learned Scribe

Canada
125 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2005 :  09:42:53  Show Profile  Visit Mareka's Homepage Send Mareka a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:

Ah, okay, sorry for the confusion. I recall the page you are describing now. You didn't save it when you had the chance while knowing the WOTC site's history? You do think Tymora smiles upon you all the time don't you?

Oh come on. Look at that face. How can she not?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2005 :  11:36:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:

I never saw those features... At the time, their updates to the page were sporadic. I got the Roll of Years then, but I obviously missed that other stuff.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2005 :  07:09:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Needless to say, I can't find these files (the third file, the spell Shadow Storm, I was able to locate by experimenting with URLs). I should like to, though. Does anyone know where I can locate them, or better yet, have them to share?

There was an old archived FTP site with those files (and many other Realmslore tidbits) included. I'm not sure whether it's still online though.

I'll have to check my bookmarks.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2006 :  17:56:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Resurrecting another old thread... I just found the Moonsea Fauna article, again by playing with the URL. I'm still trying to figure out how to monkey the URL right to get the last article, the one about the dwarves and the Nether Scrolls.

I'll post the links later.

Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2006 :  18:12:14  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Please DO Wooly, especially the last one with- ooh I'm so addicted -the nether scrolls!

Oh and I checked the Roll of Years that I use/have bookmarked, and it has them listed both alphabetically and by date.
Here's the link:

http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Castle/2566/rollofyears.rtf

"You came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory... instead you will die with a whimper."
::moussaoui tries to interrupt::
"You will never get a chance to speak again and that's an appropriate ending."

-Judge Brinkema

Edited by - Beirnadri Magranth on 31 Aug 2006 18:14:44
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2006 :  23:09:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beirnadri Magranth

Please DO Wooly, especially the last one with- ooh I'm so addicted -the nether scrolls!

Oh and I checked the Roll of Years that I use/have bookmarked, and it has them listed both alphabetically and by date.
Here's the link:

http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Castle/2566/rollofyears.rtf

I've got the link to where the Roll of Years is stored on the Wizards site, but we've also got it stored here on Candlekeep. The Roll is also available in the FR Calendar utility they put out last year (I don't have that link handy).

That last file is proving difficult to find.

Go to Top of Page

xmanii
Acolyte

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2006 :  15:01:19  Show Profile Send xmanii a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My google-fu isn't up to par. Have you tried emailing them?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2006 :  16:32:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by xmanii

My google-fu isn't up to par. Have you tried emailing them?

I found a reference somewhere to the link having been lost, and one of the WotC people said he'd contact the web folks on it. Considering that it's never been done, I don't think contacting them would have any effect. Besides, I found the other files on me own...

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2008 :  16:27:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Resurrecting this old topic...

The fourth and final lost file has been found, thanks to Tauster! His search fu was better than mine, at least in this case...

So, to recap... The stuff I was looking for was stuff I'd not heard of before noting the 30 January entry on this page. Since I knew that the Roll of Years was still hidden on their site, it stood to reason that the other files were, too. I found three, but I couldn't find the fourth thru the same methods -- not knowing the name of the file made it impossible.

But Tauster found and linked to the file, so I now have all four links. And, as promised, here are the links to all four files.

Moonsea Fauna -- An article about the various aquatic critters inhabiting the Moonsea.

Shadow Storm -- Shadow Storm is a nasty 5th level spell from 2E.

The Roll of Years -- This is the original Roll of Years download, which has since been copied to a number of different locations. We have it hosted on this site, in various formats, and it's also available in the Forgotten Realms Calendar Tool.

The Scrolls and the Dwarves/ The Denial of Mystryl -- A very brief tale; it offers a reason for while pre-3E dwarves could not use arcane magic.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000