Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Most Read FR Novel
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rellen Amostirren
Acolyte

United Kingdom
26 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2003 :  20:31:59  Show Profile  Visit Rellen Amostirren's Homepage Send Rellen Amostirren a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
What in your collection of Forgotten Realms Novels has to be the one book you pick up every now and then to reread just because it was so well written??

Mine has to be...

The Cleric Quintet series, (well ya cant just read the first one and not read the rest!)

Mainly because of the Bouldershoulder Brothers

"Stealing teeth and still leaving folks with a smile!!"

ArcticKnight
Learned Scribe

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2003 :  20:43:39  Show Profile  Visit ArcticKnight's Homepage Send ArcticKnight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The FR book that i have read the most would have to be Homeland. I suspect that i have read it ATLEAST 10 times over the years.

"The man who does not read has little advantage over the man who cannot read."

Go to Top of Page

KiD
Acolyte

Russia
7 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2003 :  00:10:57  Show Profile  Visit KiD's Homepage Send KiD a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My most read book is a actually whole trilogy - Dark Elf. And I think this is better books of Salvatore I ever read.

I'm cool
Go to Top of Page

vlad tepes
Acolyte

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2003 :  18:42:11  Show Profile  Visit vlad tepes's Homepage Send vlad tepes a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I find that all of the Drizzt Do'Urden books are good and if i am correct the Bouldershoulder brothers have a larger part in Salvatores newest The Thousand Orcs
Go to Top of Page

pwent
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2003 :  02:50:32  Show Profile  Visit pwent's Homepage Send pwent a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mine has to be the Avatar Trilogy, Those books realy put in to perspective the fall of the gods and what happens in the time of troubles.
Go to Top of Page

Drummer Boy
Senior Scribe

USA
395 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2003 :  05:38:57  Show Profile  Visit Drummer Boy's Homepage Send Drummer Boy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've never reread a book because I'm so busy reading new ones, but if I had to reread some books, I would definitely read the books about Drizzt again.
Go to Top of Page

lowtech
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2003 :  21:51:03  Show Profile  Visit lowtech's Homepage Send lowtech a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Crucible, followed closely by Siege of Darkness.
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2003 :  03:31:19  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sigh.....

I've read Homeland five times.....I am accepting my Dork of the Year award next Tuesday, accordingly...

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

kellinjar
Acolyte

Canada
23 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2003 :  16:16:16  Show Profile  Visit kellinjar's Homepage Send kellinjar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm trying to think..but i'm not sure that i've read alot of forgotten realms novels more then once, fantasy is indeed my fav genre, I have a 6 foot high book shelf overflowing with books...but hrm.. I think if anything the dark elf trilogy or the icewind dale trilogy are the ones i've read more then once..but maybe only twice or three times.. non forgotten realms Iv'e read David Eddings 'Bellium' Trilogy 6 or 7 times. The second book of that series 'The Ruby Knight' was the very first fantasy book i ever got.
and not strictly swords and magic fantasy, but I've read Piers anthony Immortals series, 7 books.. I've read that probably 3 or 4 times through..
I do enjoy that forgotten realms books, but other then salvatore (which I'm going to reread soon if I can get through my current pile of stuff) there isn't much re-read value there it seems.
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2003 :  17:01:54  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ArionElenim

Sigh.....

I've read Homeland five times.....I am accepting my Dork of the Year award next Tuesday, accordingly...

Arion, you shock me... I would have thought the number one on your list would be Cunningham's Evermeet...
Go to Top of Page

lowtech
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2003 :  20:49:17  Show Profile  Visit lowtech's Homepage Send lowtech a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kellinjar

I'm trying to think..but i'm not sure that i've read alot of forgotten realms novels more then once, fantasy is indeed my fav genre, I have a 6 foot high book shelf overflowing with books...but hrm.. I think if anything the dark elf trilogy or the icewind dale trilogy are the ones i've read more then once..but maybe only twice or three times.. non forgotten realms Iv'e read David Eddings 'Bellium' Trilogy 6 or 7 times. The second book of that series 'The Ruby Knight' was the very first fantasy book i ever got.
and not strictly swords and magic fantasy, but I've read Piers anthony Immortals series, 7 books.. I've read that probably 3 or 4 times through..

You have excellant taste, my friend. Have you read the Belgariad series yet?
Go to Top of Page

Mythander
Learned Scribe

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2003 :  17:40:02  Show Profile  Visit Mythander's Homepage Send Mythander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would have to say it is a Draw between the Cleric Quintet and the Finder Stone Trilogy.

Wow! That has no saving throw written all over it.
Go to Top of Page

Yasraena
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2003 :  20:39:22  Show Profile  Visit Yasraena's Homepage Send Yasraena a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Definitely any of the Drizzt books. I think I've re-read the entire series about 3 or 4 times.
Outside FR, it would have to be Tolkien. I can't remember how many times I've re-read The Silmarillion, Hobbit, or LOTR since I first read them.

"Nindyn vel'uss malar verin z'klaen tlu kyone ulu naut doera nindel vel'bolen nind malar."
Yasraena T'Sarran
Harper of Silverymoon
Go to Top of Page

DrizzitFan
Acolyte

Singapore
26 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2003 :  03:18:07  Show Profile  Visit DrizzitFan's Homepage Send DrizzitFan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Homeland definitely, read it 8 times now. DE trilogy re-read 6-7 times as a set. Spellfire also 5-6 times, love Tomas and the fat cleric/monk (R-something I think, forgot his name).

Out of FR, Eddings has fantastic work in his 4 sets (2 with Garion and 2 with Sparhawk), also Raymond E. Feist's Magician, check that out if you have not read it.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2003 :  03:43:45  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The novel I have read the most is...Evermeet. I try to read it at least once a year. Following this novel closely, would have to be the Elminster series.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2003 :  08:00:31  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm . . . hmm . . . most read. Well, I don't usually reread books close together, so it's hard to tell. I have a curious memory; I remember some things and not others. One of the things I can usually remember is the plot of a particular story or book. As such, I have to space rereadings out. However . . . I'd say, probably, it would be Songs and Swords.

For non-FR, the aforementioned Garian books. Particularly The Mallorean and the two prequels. I took those with me when I went to Europe for a seven-week traveling vacation. I had to pack lightly, so I only(!) took seven books with me. And it wasn't cutting into any investigations I was making (I hate being a tourist, so I think of it as exploring; Sage, since you've read that paper of mine, you know what I'm talking about). What with the plane flight, the bus, car and trains, I was wishing I'd brought more. Of course, if I did, I wouldn't have had much room for things to bring back. ( Acquisitions, not souvenirs. )

Too bad PDAs weren't available then the way they are now. I could have downloaded about a dozen. Ah, miracles of technology . . . now if only I didn't go through batteries so fast!

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2003 :  08:55:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
DrizzitFan said -
quote:
Raymond E. Feist's Magician, check that out if you have not read it.

Actually I preferred the Serpent War saga. Although depending on what the rest of the 'Conclave of Shadows' series will be like, I may just change my mind . DrizztFan, have you read Legacy of the Riftwar I and II?.

Since we seem to be mentioning non-FR books as well, I will have to say there are two. Both of them are works by Eddings Belgarath the Sorcerer, and Polgara the Sorceress. I read both of these at the same time (along with DL's Dragons of a Summer Flame) when I was working in Bali for a few months as part of my job.

Go to Top of Page

Mythander
Learned Scribe

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2003 :  16:41:50  Show Profile  Visit Mythander's Homepage Send Mythander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sage of Perth

Since we seem to be mentioning non-FR books as well, I will have to say there are two. Both of them are works by Eddings Belgarath the Sorcerer, and Polgara the Sorceress. I read both of these at the same time (along with DL's Dragons of a Summer Flame) when I was working in Bali for a few months as part of my job.

Out of the Realms I have read the Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin about 4 times.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2003 :  03:36:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have never actually read that series, although by the fact that you mention you have read it four times, I guess I won't bother asking if you enjoyed it .

Although I did read the section that was printed in Dragon Magazine a few months ago (#307) I think, and I was quite impressed with that.

Go to Top of Page

Malanthius
Learned Scribe

144 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2003 :  18:35:30  Show Profile  Visit Malanthius's Homepage Send Malanthius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, for sheer number of times, it would have to be either the cormyre novels, or elminster. Archwizards was a fave. Drizzt Dark elf trilogy was one of Salvatore's best.

Outside of FR, Is there anybody out there that doesn't love David and Leigh Eddings? My all time favorite was "Guardians of the West". Hmm, matter of fact, think i'll reread that tonight...

Mal.

"Oh, Do stop whining, It's not the End of the World. It's just the end of Your's."
Go to Top of Page

Mythander
Learned Scribe

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2003 :  19:45:14  Show Profile  Visit Mythander's Homepage Send Mythander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I have never actually read that series, although by the fact that you mention you have read it four times, I guess I won't bother asking if you enjoyed it .

Although I did read the section that was printed in Dragon Magazine a few months ago (#307) I think, and I was quite impressed with that.

The books are so good, that I have even roped some non-Fantasy readers into reading them and they loved them. They are the type of books you just can’t put down. With that said make sure you have some free time before reading them they are about 1,000 pages each.

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2003 :  22:44:12  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well Met

Ahem "Most Read FR Novel" claims the title on this scroll I cant recall hearing of these other tomes of which you speak... hmmm, surely the library isnt missing any Realmslore?!

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2003 :  02:29:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I apologise for the slight diversion Alaundo, since it appears that I was partially responsible for derailing this thread a little .

I have noticed however that there has been little mentioned of any of the Starlight and Shadows series as the most read FR novel. I wonder why?.

Go to Top of Page

DrizzitFan
Acolyte

Singapore
26 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2003 :  03:39:27  Show Profile  Visit DrizzitFan's Homepage Send DrizzitFan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

DrizzitFan said -
quote:
Raymond E. Feist's Magician, check that out if you have not read it.

Actually I preferred the Serpent War saga. Although depending on what the rest of the 'Conclave of Shadows' series will be like, I may just change my mind . DrizztFan, have you read Legacy of the Riftwar I and II?.

Actually I have been following Feist's Riftwar and accompanying worlds. As in the Dragonlance series, have felt that the first set of books are his best, but unlike the Dragonlance series (I lost interest after the Twins saga but loved the Chronicles - no offence to DL fans ) Feist continues to build upon his parallel/rift worlds very well.

I have read the Legacy series and they are good as well. Personally I loved the trilogy by the lady writer on the House of Acoma (Mara and Kevin), have read that set 5 or more times. Epic.....

Also agree that Belgarath n Polgara one-offs are excellent reads, maybe cos they had time to polish them up after the first ten books.

Back to FR, the Avatars trilogy and accompanying 2 followups are excellent as well, Cyric is so EvIl.

Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2003 :  06:23:37  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Prince of lies and Crucible were quite good books. I STILL like Darkwalker on Moonshae.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

DrizzitFan
Acolyte

Singapore
26 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2003 :  06:31:26  Show Profile  Visit DrizzitFan's Homepage Send DrizzitFan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Darkwalker on Moonshae is good, quite tragic for me with the evil sweeping all before, in fact, it put me off the rest of the trilogy. Guess it was a good book at the wrong time for me. Ha ha. I may get around to reading it eventually.

The WotSQ (War of the Spider Queen?) series seems quite compelling n a good read from all the posts. Recommended reading? Have not gotten around to it yet. Reckon it'll be a favourite?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2003 :  06:55:53  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm...I felt that Prince of Lies was a far better book, than Crucible. Reason being, I enjoy Lowder's writing style.

Go to Top of Page

Mythander
Learned Scribe

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2003 :  17:43:49  Show Profile  Visit Mythander's Homepage Send Mythander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hmm...I felt that Prince of Lies was a far better book, than Crucible. Reason being, I enjoy Lowder's writing style.

I have to agree with you there. Even though I enjoy Denning's work in other books, I found writing style lacking in the Crucible.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000