Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Teshar
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

webmanus
Learned Scribe

Sweden
338 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2005 :  11:04:17  Show Profile  Visit webmanus's Homepage Send webmanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi folks!

In Lost Empires of Faerūn, page 126, it is stated that Teshar was "founded in the cleared lands between Cormanthyr and Rystall Wood" in -75 DR. In page 128, it is stated that Teshar falls in 479 DR.

Now, is there more information somwehere about Teshar? Who did found Teshar? How much of todays Teshendale's and Daggerdale's area did Teshar cover? What was the capital of Teshar? Had the Chondathans reached (settled) Teshar before its fall? As you see, I have no answers, only questions. Anybody who knows somebody who has some good answers? Any links?

Best regards,
Manuel

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2005 :  13:33:37  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You have pretty much all of the published info on Teshar. The only person who could answer your questions would be Ed. Of course, you could ... *ahem* ... make it all up. Which is of course what Ed would be doing.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

webmanus
Learned Scribe

Sweden
338 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2005 :  20:17:40  Show Profile  Visit webmanus's Homepage Send webmanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi,

A lot to do then ... Well, thanks for your answer.

Some time ago, I asked about the Mines of Tethyamar in the message board of www.wizards.com. I think, that you had written something about Tethaymar. Am I correct? In Lost Empires of Faerūn, there is a section of Tethaymar. I get the impression that the Tethaymar entry is based in your writeup.

I have been running a campaign based on Daggerdale and Shadowdale, and have tried to find as much as possible about those dales and its surrounding areas. Thus, Teshar is a black hole that needs to be filled.

... time to move on ... where did I leave those dagerdalian dwarfs ...

Best regards,
Manuel
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2005 :  00:51:46  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, the Tethyamar write-up in LEoF was based on my original one with some Eric Boyd spin (which greatly enhanced the original, let me tell you!).

The only other bit of unpublished realmslore that I have on Teshar is that Aubayreer, Mage-King of Milvarn and apprentice to the mages of the Covenant, was from Teshar.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2005 :  08:24:30  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that Teshar is shown on the Year of the Tusk map in the old gray boxed set (i.e. FRCS 1e), but I could be mistaken. (Away from the sources at the moment.)

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

webmanus
Learned Scribe

Sweden
338 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2005 :  21:41:43  Show Profile  Visit webmanus's Homepage Send webmanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi George and Eric,

First of all, I just whant you to know how much I appreciate your work. George, the writeup of Tethaymar inspired me to work on tales of the history of the dwarves, and Eric, you wrote "Real Speak Teaser: Daggerdale Region Campaign Idea", the document that inspired me to take a shuffle and dig around Daggerdale ... and there I am ...

OK, back to canon stuff ... in Races of Faerūn (RoF), page 109, the following is written:

"Refugees from Netherese survivor states of Asram, Anauria, and Hlondath fled east toward the Moonsea to found realms such as Teshar (which was founded in -87 DR and fell in 479 DR) Yūlash, and Northkeep (which fell 400 DR)".

OK, either -75 DR (LEoF) is correct, or -87 DR (RoF). I Assume that the first date (-75 DR) is the correct one. Nevertheless, according to that entry, Teshar was founded by the Netherese. But, would the Netherese have settled Teshar as early as in -75 DR?!? Maybe, the desert was growing, and small groups of folk started to migrate east to Teshar (present day Dagerdale and Teshendale). At least, year 10 DR, the Netheril region becomes known as the Great Desert of Anuroch, and thus, the desert is oficially growing. If that is the case, then, folks from Asram, might have started to leave their city state for the "wild lands" (?) of Teshar ... I assume, that none, or few folks from Asram left that city with its fall in -33 DR. More folks might have left Anauria when it fell to orcs in 111 DR. And, of course, most Netherese to settle Teshar must have come from Hlondath, that must have been deserted in a slow pace. But ... how safe might it have been to settle Teshar, when a fortified city as Rulvadar (LEoF, page 105) was needed to defend Hlondath against the ogres, orcs, and goblinoids of the Moonsea North. Wait ... OK ... the phaerimms started to cast those spells that would lead to the creation of Anauroch in -461 DR. OK, Teshar was founded, settled, by folks from Asram, Anauria, and Hlondath and it grew over time.

Northkeep, not beeing Teshar, is also interesting to check up ... right? In page 3, in The Moonsea Reference Guide, see The Moonsea by John Terra (#9374, 1995), it is stated that Nothkeep was settled in the year 348 DR. That is a good date, not so many years from the final abandonment of Hlondath in 329 DR. Thus, folks from Teshar could have moved east to the Moonsea and founded that city ... but ... but ... who where first to settle the Moonsea? Was it Netherese, or others? According to page 32 of The Moonsea Reference Guide, Phlan was founded in the year 367 DR. And, according to RoF, page 109, Chondathans immigrants joined the descendants of the early settlements of the Moonsea and established, among others, the city state of Phlan. Thus, the first to settle the Moonsea, would have been Netherese. And, this period of time (300 DR -) could be the beginning to the birth of the human ethnic group known as the Vaasans.

It is getting late ...

Best regards,
Manuel

Link to my homepage: http://user.tninet.se/~bsu242v/
Go to Top of Page

webmanus
Learned Scribe

Sweden
338 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2005 :  14:20:45  Show Profile  Visit webmanus's Homepage Send webmanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is this portion of a map showing Teshar ....

http://www.nightwasp.com/daggerdale/perauswands/112dr.jpg

And, then, I do not now from where, but I have downloaded a map showing Teshar and date to 112 DR, Year of the Tusk. The folks at nightwasp have done a lot ...

Manuel
Go to Top of Page

webmanus
Learned Scribe

Sweden
338 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2005 :  23:29:16  Show Profile  Visit webmanus's Homepage Send webmanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This Teshar is irritating ... well some years belows and some personal comments. Please, feel free to add your "few coins".

-145 DR
Tethaymar is founded. The dwarves starts trading with its neighbours; the Netherese from Asram, Anuria, and Hlondath. Also the elves from Cormanthyr? When, then also with the elves from Rystall Wood. Why not?

-88 DR
Orcs from Dragonspine Mountains overrun Tethaymar. If people would have lived in modern day Daggerdale and Teshendale, then they might also have been overruned. Now, people did not live here at this time ...

-87 DR
Tarkhaldale (also called the Lost Vale) collapses. Tarkhaldale was a human settlement situated on the border of the Great Desert Anauroch that was allied with Asram and Hlondath.
Now, Chondathans had not reached this parts of Faerūn. So, it was a Netherese settlement.

-86 DR
The dwarves reclaims the mines of Tethaymar. The fortress-city Rulvadar is constructed; a bastion against ogres, orcs, and goblinoids of the Moonsea North.
The people of Teshar are either left alone, or who knows, maybe they construct also some "bastions" with the help of the dwarves.

-75 DR
Teshar is founded.
From my point of view, several farmsteads, thorps, hamlets and villages must have existed for some time in Teshar. Maybe, also towns and other bigger communities must have existed prior to this date. Nevertheless, for some reason, it is declared that Teshar is founded in this year ...
At least, it seams that this "country" is settled by the Netherese. Maybe, remembering the events from -88 DR, the people of Teshar comes to an agrement and decide to join forces and unite under one ruler (or goverment) and found Teshar ... or something like that.
Now, if Teshar has been founded, settled, by people from the Three Realms, maybe, Teshar could be "the fourth realm". And if not a fourth realm, the goverments of the Three Realms must have kept an eye on the newfounded realm. The inhabitans of Teshar might have done some trade with the dwarves from Tethaymar at this point.

-64 DR
Rystall Wood falls to giants and orcs.
Elves must have travelled through Teshar to reach Cormanthyr. Maybe giants and orcs reach also Teshar and make some havoc.

-33 DR
Asram is devastated by a plague sent by Talona to gain more worshipers.
If Teshar had som trade with Asram, then, that is felt. Nevertheless, pleople from Teshar, and the two surviving "Three Realms" must pretty scared. Many rumors ...

1 DR
The Standing Stone is raised.
Could Chondathans have reached Mistledale? Maybe, some Chondathans start to settle Mistledale, but, they are too few to "found" Mistledale ... yet.

10 DR
The Netheril region becomes known as the Great Desert of Anauroch.
It is obvious. The people of two surviving "Three Realms" start "one by one" to move east and south. Thus, Teshar has more and more settlers.

26 DR
Cormyr founded by Obarskyr family. With time, the dwarves from Tethaymar will trade with the kingdom of Cormyr.

111 DR
Anauria falls.
Survivors and others must have moved to Hlondath (the last of the Three Realms) and Teshar.

112 DR
First map of Cormyr, Cormanthor, and the Dalelands.
Now, in this map, none of modern day Dales could have been listed.

194 DR
The Twisted Tower restored as drow military garrison.
Thus, Teshar is neighbour (maybe not close, but yet) with drows.

199 DR
Hlondath initiates the Crown against the Scepter Wars against Cormanthyr.
Now, why did they do that? And, did not the forces (armeis) from Hlondath need to travel through Teshar to fight against the elves of Cormanthyr? And, how big and independent was Teshar? Maybe, folks from Teshar were forced to participate in the war, or maybe they joined their fellow brothers from the west.
The dwarves must have a lot of business, or maybe not. They could have sold weapons and armors to the Netherese as well as to the elves from Cormanthyr.

308 DR
The Crown against the Scepter Wars end in victory for Cormanthyr.
No comments.

329 DR
Hlondath is abandoned. Its inhabitants migrate east to the Moonsea and south into the Dalelands.
Again, people have been migrating east toward the Moonsea and south towards todays Daggerdale. Thus, more and more Netherese settle in the Netherese country of Teshar. Norther Daggerdale, and middle Daggerdale could be settled and part of Teshar.
Any Chondathan in this neighbourhoods?

339 DR
Velarsdale (Harrowdale) is founded. It is the oldest Dale still in existence.
Chondathans are in the move.

348 DR
Northkeep is founded.
Netherese from Teshar move further to the east and found Northkeep.

351 DR
Hlondathaan refugees? Yrlaancel? What is this entry about?

367 DR
Phlan is founded.
Chondathans from the Vast, or maybe from the Dalelands? Or Netherese from Teshar? Chondathans + Netherese. Maybe elves?! Have you read "A history of Phlan and the Moonsea Reaches", from Pool of Radiance Journal, by Jeff Grubb? The following is written:

"Early Phlan was a trading outpost on the north shore of the Moonsea, set up to facilitate trade between the Elves of Myth Drannor (...) and the tribes of Thar, Vaasa, and the Ride, as well as the Dragonspine Dwarves."

"Trade between the powerful elves, the wild humans, and merchants-dwarves was a great success for all sides. Soon phlan was the most powerfull city on the Moonsea, outshining its only rival, the elven Docks of hillsfar, on the south coast."

"At this time, the elves planted the Quivering Forest north of tghe city. ..."

"The elves, the legend says, first discovered the Pool of Radiance. ..."

So many elf entries make me think that the elves founded first Phlan and later Hillsfar. However, according to "A history of Phlan and the Moonsea Reaches", Phlan (Ancient Phlan) fell 112 DR.

376 DR
Cormyr is at war with the Shoon Imperium.
Weapons and armor from Tethaymar are transported south to the kingdom ... that is, caravans are moving south through Daggerdale to Cormyr.
When was Tilverton founded?

380 DR
Chondathans from Chondath founds the settlements Chancelgaunt (Selgaunt) and Chondathan (Saerloon) in modern day Sembia.

400 DR
Northkeep falls.
Folk from Teshar must be worried, but, news about the all of the Dark Alliance must have made the Netherese from Teshar calm.

479 DR
Teshar falls. The story ends.
Go to Top of Page

webmanus
Learned Scribe

Sweden
338 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2005 :  16:37:34  Show Profile  Visit webmanus's Homepage Send webmanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did ask myself, time ago, wether Chondathans had reached Teshar or not. Below an interesting piece of knowledge.

From City of the Spider Queen. See also the Dordrien section in page 120 in Lost Empires of Faerūn.
quote:
The hold of Dordrien was founded in the shadow of the Desertsmouth Mountains by a Jhaamdathan noble who led his people north from the coasts of what is now Sembia in year -251 DR. He and his folk were survivors of the calamitous destruction of Jhaamdath in -255 DR Year of Furious Waves. 

On the western slopes of the Dagger Hills, the Dordrien lords raised a sizeable keep, which guarded a large and prosperous town nearby. The realm flourished for a century or so and then failed, weakened by orc raids from the mountains and the decline of its ruling family. Most of its folk drifted back to the more populous lands near the Sea of Fallen Stars, and the town was abandoned by -75 DR Year of Leather Shields. 

Very little is left to indicate that any human settlement existed in the region prior to the rise of the Dalesfolk, hundreds of years later.
Maybe, the large town had a population of 3,500 inhabitants (adults) and their small realm might have had a population of 35,000 inhabitants.

Link to my homepage: http://user.tninet.se/~bsu242v/
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2005 :  17:36:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by webmanus

OK, either -75 DR (LEoF) is correct, or -87 DR (RoF). I Assume that the first date (-75 DR) is the correct one.

Both could be correct... Maybe Teshar was founded in -87 DR, but then the inhabitants left. They could have simply decided to move on, they could have been slaughtered, or they could have pulled a Roanoke Island and simply disappeared. Several years later, another group came along, found some signs of habitation (still-standing structures, obviously man-made clearings, etc), and decided to settle there. This second group could even include people (survivors? refugees? expatriates?) from the original group.

Spinning it a bit further... The first group came in and settled the place. After a couple of years, some powerful critter in the area started crunching on the townsfolk. Maybe they defeated it at great loss, or maybe they simply high-tailed it elsewhere. The later group, consisting of some of the original survivors, decided to come back and try again. Perhaps the critter's lair is still undiscovered, years later...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2010 :  03:23:46  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[Dalor Darden casts Rez Scroll]

Digging around for information even remotely linked to "The Ride" I am working on information concerning Teshar...

Does anyone have anything else to add here?

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000