Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 For your pleasure, a high-Res map of middle Faerun
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Arravis
Seeker

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2005 :  16:35:40  Show Profile  Visit Arravis's Homepage Send Arravis a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I had realized not too long ago, that I never got around to posting a map I had done last year...
Anyway, it's a high-res map of middle-faerun and I hope you guys like it. I tried to include all the sites I was aware of in the area, if any are missing (which I'm sure), please let me know! Thanks!

High Res http://www.ralloszek.net/uploads/34381-MiddleFaerun_HR.zip

Medium Res http://www.ralloszek.net/uploads/34383-MiddleFaerun_MR.zip

Low Res http://www.ralloszek.net/uploads/34384-MiddleFaerun_LR.zip

Edited by - Arravis on 17 Mar 2005 17:10:52

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2005 :  16:54:58  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Arravis,

I've only taken a fast look at the map. But, you've included an impressive amount of locations. Thank you for sharing this work.

SB
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2005 :  17:06:53  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

This is a wonderful map, Arravis I'd very much like to feature this in the Map Room here at Candlekeep.

I'm interested to hear where you found many of these locations, there are a fair amount of the more minor areas which I have ne'er heard of

Excellent work

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Arravis
Seeker

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2005 :  17:13:00  Show Profile  Visit Arravis's Homepage Send Arravis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lots of different sources (mostly 2nd ed)... I dug around ALOT. It should all be cannon though. Let me know which specific ones you have questions on, and I'll see if I recall where it came from.

And as always, you're welcome to include it in the Map Room, or anywhere else you see fit :). Thanks for the comments guys!
Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2005 :  17:22:12  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Absolutely impressive! Kudos, Arravis!

Melfius, Pixie-Priest of Puck - Head Chef, The Faerie Kitchen, Candlekeep Inn
"What's in his pockets, besides me?"
Read a tale of my earlier days! - Happiness Comes in Small Packages
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2005 :  21:48:43  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Arravis, what a fantastic job! I'll be sure let others know of this impressive and useful map.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2005 :  23:00:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oooh, I like!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2005 :  03:04:42  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Beautiful work. I want to see more.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2005 :  05:00:01  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Impressive work Arravis, yet again .

I'm glad you picked up on a few of those lesser-known Realms-locales, since many FR maps tend to overlook them.

I'm looking forward to whatever you're going to come up with next.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Knightcrawler
Acolyte

22 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2005 :  22:39:24  Show Profile  Visit Knightcrawler's Homepage Send Knightcrawler a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very nice Arravis. Well done, with all locations marked. The official maps always seem to be lacking in marked locations. In fact I've gotten so frustrated that with my current campaign and maps that I considering picking up some mapping software and just making the maps myself. What do you use?

Knightcrawler

I Am Become Death, Destroyer Of Worlds
Go to Top of Page

Arravis
Seeker

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2005 :  15:55:01  Show Profile  Visit Arravis's Homepage Send Arravis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Knightcrawler, and that is exactly the reason why I made this map. I hated having to cross-reference so much when all the data should have been on one map. Anyway, I created the map using Photoshop and alot of time ;).
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2005 :  17:51:32  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very good work Arravis.I really enjoy all the locales.Two thumbs up!!!!

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

edbonny
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2005 :  23:12:41  Show Profile  Visit edbonny's Homepage Send edbonny a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is a beautiful and wonderful map! Thank you very, very much!

- Ed
Go to Top of Page

thebaron
Acolyte

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2012 :  21:17:57  Show Profile  Visit thebaron's Homepage Send thebaron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
anyone still have this map?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2012 :  23:18:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I do... I've got a jpg with the same name, dating back to the date the map was first posted... So the map I just looked at is likely the same one.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2012 :  23:40:03  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All I get is a Japanese Website.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2012 :  00:55:09  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

All I get is a Japanese Website.

ditto

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2012 :  01:06:54  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I could possibly get a copy Wooly, much appreciated.

Markustay2012@hotmail.com

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2012 :  04:26:52  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

If I could possibly get a copy Wooly, much appreciated.

Markustay2012@hotmail.com

I'll add to that in fact...but can it get posted here at Candlekeep, or would that need the creator's permission?

dalor_darden@yahoo.com

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2012 :  04:48:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll zip it and toss it up on my website tomorrow, so anyone can grab it.

Go to Top of Page

Eladrinstar
Learned Scribe

USA
196 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2012 :  20:51:50  Show Profile Send Eladrinstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What is your website then?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2012 :  04:08:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As promised, so delivered: Arravis's map

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2012 :  04:51:18  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Many thanks ol' furry one!

Go to Top of Page

Eladrinstar
Learned Scribe

USA
196 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2012 :  06:50:21  Show Profile Send Eladrinstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why is Sembia so empty? Why has it never been detailed?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2012 :  08:05:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eladrinstar

Why is Sembia so empty? Why has it never been detailed?

Sembia was left as a region for DM's to develop back in 2e. Which is largely why so many of the details pertaining to the merchant realm are pretty sparse in pre-3e material. It wasn't until the Sembia series of novels, and the return of the Shades, as well as Paul Kemp's early focus on Sembia, that the region began to be more heavily detailed.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2012 :  08:36:20  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
TSR promised to leave Sembia undeveloped and "fallow" for DMs. They technically never broke that promise, while WotC technically never had to observe the promise.

Unsurprisingly, WotC immediately attacked Sembia with the phaerimm, dragonrage, Shadowstorm, political infighting, civil war, Shadovar takeover, a kraken and some other big city-destroying monsters, etc ... they did a good job wrecking Sembia before moving on to their next edition.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2012 :  15:38:48  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice work...
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2012 :  15:56:41  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank You Oh furry one.

Nice map indeed.

Sembia was tough for me - I dug up LOTS of 'lost' locales in novels and weird places, but almost nothing in Sembia (despite a lot of 3e activity there!). There was one town that was never named in the anthology story And Wringing of Hands in Realms of Infamy, and I couldn't even get a precise fix on it to place it. One other canon town was named, IIRC, but the town the apothecary(?) is from is not (and he's the main character).

Good story BTW - small but poignant, just the way I like 'em.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2012 :  18:24:02  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pretty rough, Arik. I wonder how many individual writers and designers knew about that promise.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2012 :  18:28:47  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The promise had the exact opposite effect, IMHO. Where better to plunk-down your own 'kewl ideas' then in a nigh-empty sandbox.

Saying it was a 'DM-only' area was like attaching a lightening rod to the place.

Still, I thought it was stupid to do this with Sembia, Cormyr's major neighbor. Turmish would have been the much better choice (and still remains largely undefined). Erlkazar made sense, but Sembia, not so much.

Were there any other areas purposely left open like that? Maybe the Border Kingdoms or the Chultan arm (in 1e/2e)?

Edited by - Markustay on 01 May 2012 05:19:12
Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2012 :  18:42:20  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I always thought of the Border Kingdoms as the playground area. I can't recall where I heard it from, but the BK area was supposed to be for this purpose specifically.

Edited by - Matt James on 30 Apr 2012 18:42:56
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000