Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Candlekeep Web Site
 Site Content
 The Candlekeep Compendium
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2008 :  17:07:05  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is this still being worked on? Would be nice to see some new FR lore, after all!

Or are you still waiting for writers?
Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2008 :  17:21:15  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage  Send Ayunken-vanzan an AOL message  Send Ayunken-vanzan an ICQ Message  Click to see Ayunken-vanzan's MSN Messenger address Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As far as I know, they are waiting for the release of the 4e fansite policy.

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links 2ed Downloads
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2008 :  20:40:45  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yup, pretty much. :)

quote:
Originally posted by Ayunken-vanzan

As far as I know, they are waiting for the release of the 4e fansite policy.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

My Goodreads page: http://www.goodreads.com/kuje

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2008 :  22:42:55  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed.

Uzzy, Kuje and Ayunken have the right of it. The collected scribes of the Candlekeep Compendium have discussed numerous ways in which we can release the next impending Volume of curious Realmslore, but we've yet to settle, definitively, on a course of action. The most probable scenario, at this time, is that we will await the release of WotC's "Fansite Policy."

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 12 Dec 2008 22:43:48
Go to Top of Page

freyar
Learned Scribe

Canada
220 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2008 :  17:54:19  Show Profile  Visit freyar's Homepage Send freyar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't like being so cynical, but, given WotC's track record with the GSL (late release, announcing revisions before GenCon that haven't materialized yet), isn't waiting for a fan site policy kind of like waiting for Godot?

What policy did WotC have in the 3e era that allowed the Compendium?

My DnD Links and Creations
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2008 :  03:54:40  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There wasn't one and technically, what we all did was against copywrite/trademarks. Now, we are playing it safer because WOTC has said that they were/are working on a fan policy.

Edit: As I've said before, maybe on a different part of the boards, if everyone wants to release the new issue, just pull my articles because I respect WOTC's ownership and until I know for sure what they may, or may not, allow, I don't want to deal with the hassle of WOTC's IP.

quote:
Originally posted by freyar

What policy did WotC have in the 3e era that allowed the Compendium?

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Edited by - Kuje on 14 Dec 2008 07:03:44
Go to Top of Page

ranger_of_the_unicorn_run
Learned Scribe

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2008 :  19:37:24  Show Profile Send ranger_of_the_unicorn_run a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe I'm being paranoid, but with the rule in the current GSL where you have to stop printing and destroy anything that conflicts with anything they put out (even if they put it out after you do), does this mean that there is the possibility of them telling us we have to take down what we have so far on the Compendium?
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2008 :  22:54:08  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They could, aye. Actually, WOTC could have said a long time ago to stop writing material for FR even in 3e because FR was not a part of the OGL. We are only on their sufferance and they could, if they wanted to, have legal right to tell us to stop writing FR material.

Would they? I have no idea. But this is also why, least for me, it might be a good idea to wait to see what this fan policy entails.

quote:
Originally posted by ranger_of_the_unicorn_run

Maybe I'm being paranoid, but with the rule in the current GSL where you have to stop printing and destroy anything that conflicts with anything they put out (even if they put it out after you do), does this mean that there is the possibility of them telling us we have to take down what we have so far on the Compendium?

Go to Top of Page

ranger_of_the_unicorn_run
Learned Scribe

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2008 :  04:39:40  Show Profile Send ranger_of_the_unicorn_run a Private Message  Reply with Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

They could, aye. Actually, WOTC could have said a long time ago to stop writing material for FR even in 3e because FR was not a part of the OGL. We are only on their sufferance and they could, if they wanted to, have legal right to tell us to stop writing FR material.

Would they? I have no idea. But this is also why, least for me, it might be a good idea to wait to see what this fan policy entails.

quote:
Originally posted by ranger_of_the_unicorn_run

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2008 :  13:44:49  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage  Click to see Alisttair's MSN Messenger address Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hope WotC realizes, however, that the Candlekeep Compendium is non-profit and is thus some form of free advertisement for their own products.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30284 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2008 :  15:07:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

I hope WotC realizes, however, that the Candlekeep Compendium is non-profit and is thus some form of free advertisement for their own products.

While that makes sense, not everything WotC has done of late makes sense... And I know of some non-WotC IPs that their owners are quite fierce on having no material other than their own out there.

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2008 :  16:21:41  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage  Click to see Alisttair's MSN Messenger address Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

While that makes sense, not everything WotC has done of late makes sense...

Good point there Wooly

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2009 :  06:00:55  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sigh,

I actually wanna work on my articles again. :( and I've been making mental notes about some NPC's for my Laborers article(s).

SIGH.

Wish Wizards could release their fan policy!

Go to Top of Page

edappel
Learned Scribe

Brazil
211 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2009 :  15:06:37  Show Profile  Click to see edappel's MSN Messenger address Send edappel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Keep writing! When fan policy comes, you should have 10 compendiuns to post! ;)

--- Ed Appel

*** I'm a brazilian FR fan. So, feel free to correct my writing mistakes to improve my english.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2009 :  11:52:57  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage  Click to see Alisttair's MSN Messenger address Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know how you feel Kuje (except in my case, I have written a rather large article that I wrote almost a year ago that I sent to Alaundo and he said it would make the next Compendium - although this was just when 4E was about to release and things got on hold)....but I do have some other ideas in mind, especially to expand on my yet to be released article. Hurry Wizards hurry with that fan policy darnit!!

Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2009 :  18:33:40  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage  Send Fillow a Yahoo! Message Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dear Admin and/or Mods,

Does it exist a copyright about CK's compendium ?
What I'd like to know is "Do you mind if I translate few articles into a French website ?"

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30284 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2009 :  22:56:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fillow

Dear Admin and/or Mods,

Does it exist a copyright about CK's compendium ?
What I'd like to know is "Do you mind if I translate few articles into a French website ?"

The blurb on the back page of each issue reads:

quote:
Copyright Notice

The material contained in this document remains the property of the respective authors. This document and its content can not be reproduced or contained on any other web site or location without first obtaining permission from Candlekeep.

So I'm guessing that Big Al would need to give his okay, and then the individual authors would have to give theirs, too.

I once found a reference to one of my articles on a Chinese website. That was really cool.

Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2009 :  04:42:39  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage  Send Fillow a Yahoo! Message Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks a lot Wooly.
Sorry for having missed to look for the info by my self.

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30284 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2009 :  04:59:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fillow

Thanks a lot Wooly.
Sorry for having missed to look for the info by my self.

No worries. Sometimes things get overlooked.

Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
909 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2009 :  12:35:04  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hope the Fan policy comes out soon. Maybe I can inquire with WotC while at Gen Con? I would really love to contribute to this project. I have a ton of material!
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3074 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2009 :  13:33:42  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh... Matt, I've been the one posting the fan-site policy 'bumps' over on the WotC boards. The updates we've been getting from Scott Rouse are pretty much it. It's been stuck in Legal for a while now.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
6393 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2010 :  11:37:57  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just bumping this scroll, it's gotten a little dusty ...

Is there any word on the status of Candlekeep Compendium? Is it abandoned?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2010 :  12:24:33  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The original version is still in limbo. But Matt James' "Compendium" project is still moving forward, as far as I know.

Any new developments, Matt?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2010 :  14:20:00  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage  Click to see Alisttair's MSN Messenger address Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anyone willing to venture into Limbo to save it???

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
6393 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2010 :  23:06:25  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aha, well, it's been more than a tenday now. I'm guessing this is a dead scroll and CK-X has been abandoned indefinitely. I offer my own services to assist in the project, as humble and outdated as my lore might be.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000