Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Candlekeep Web Site
 Site Content
 The Candlekeep Compendium
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36775 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2007 :  19:31:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

Just wondering, when is the next volume of the Compendium supposed to be released?

Very, very soon. We're just waiting on Big Al. Unfortunately, the old guy is kinda slow... *

*And so going to try to get me for that comment!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5691 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2007 :  20:19:17  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

Just wondering, when is the next volume of the Compendium supposed to be released?

Very, very soon. We're just waiting on Big Al. Unfortunately, the old guy is kinda slow... *

*And so going to try to get me for that comment!

Why I oughta!!

Would it be unfair of me to use a phrase with the words: pot, kettle and the color black?

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5691 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2007 :  21:08:13  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

And here it is! May I proudly present Volume IX of the Candlekeep Compendium. A long time coming, but i'm sure you'll all agree that this is a fine collection of lore indeed.

Many thanks to all those involved, in producing the articles and artwork and also to Wooly for his hard work on battling through this during difficult times.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

You may download this volume (and previous volumes) HERE.

In this volume...

Age of Sail, Part I by Brian R. James
Folk of Faerūn: Nadlok Atheon by J P Hazelhoff
Untold Stories, collection VIII by Chris Jameson, Scott Kujawa
Sprites of Faerūn, Part II by Jorkens
The Hin of the Dalelands: Stumphill by Jared Rascher
Perilous Portals: The Sea Gates by Mark Taylor
Mercenary Companies of the Realms: Redeemers of Dawn by Charlie Grimes
Journal of an Apprentice Scribe: Legend of Impresk Lake by J P Hazelhoff

Artwork by: Yack Tundra, Julius Petilla, Mark Taylor, Toni James

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2007 :  03:04:37  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very good job everyone. I especially like the Merchant powers of the high seas.
Go to Top of Page

lockdar
Acolyte

Netherlands
18 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2007 :  10:56:45  Show Profile  Visit lockdar's Homepage Send lockdar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a question about downloading the compendioum. I shamefully admit I never took the time to read it so now I'm catching up and downloading every part. However, when attempting to download part 4 I constantly get a security error. All the other downloads work perfectly but it's just that 1 volume that I can't download. Is there any other place where they can be downloaded? Maybe that will fix it.

Save yourself a penny for the ferryman.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36775 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2007 :  13:44:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lockdar

I have a question about downloading the compendioum. I shamefully admit I never took the time to read it so now I'm catching up and downloading every part. However, when attempting to download part 4 I constantly get a security error. All the other downloads work perfectly but it's just that 1 volume that I can't download. Is there any other place where they can be downloaded? Maybe that will fix it.

Hmmm... I'm not having any issue. You are trying to save the document, and not open it from online, correct?

If you want, PM me. I can either temporarily post it on my Googlepages site, so you can try it from there, or I can email it to you (assuming your email will accept a 2.58 MB zipped file).

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5691 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2007 :  21:12:32  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lockdar

Well met

At what point are you receiving this problem, lockdar? Sorry to hear of this inconvenience, but we'll get it to you somehow and do all we can to help.

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

lockdar
Acolyte

Netherlands
18 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2007 :  09:41:40  Show Profile  Visit lockdar's Homepage Send lockdar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the quick reply both Wooly and Alaundo.

I have already solved the problem, it appears the security at work here somehow isn't to happy with that particular file. I don't know why but from all the compendiums just that one isn't allowed for some strange reason.

Thank you for offering your assistance.

Save yourself a penny for the ferryman.
Go to Top of Page

Miguel Zorro
Acolyte

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2008 :  01:46:27  Show Profile  Visit Miguel Zorro's Homepage Send Miguel Zorro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Candlekeep Compendium is one of the best kept secrets of the Official Sites for Forgotten Realms. I am so glad to find this site since I have played in the Realms since it became an Official Realm of Dungeons and Dragons. The info is useful and the maps are really helpful when plotting out adventures in the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Logan Featherfeet
Acolyte

4 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2008 :  19:09:04  Show Profile  Visit Logan Featherfeet's Homepage Send Logan Featherfeet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When is the next volume due out? or has the compendium been discontinued?

When in doubt, shoot a random person. It's likely their fault your confused in the first place, and it'll make you feel better about the situation.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2008 :  19:34:27  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It hasn't but atm, we mostly decided to hold off on releasing it until we have a chance to read over WOTC's new fan site policy, which, at this time, has no release date.

Until that document is released and we know what it contains, we don't feel comfortable about releasing the new issue.

Plus, I think Alaundo said we needed a few more articles to fill out the page count. Also, some people are waiting for their new campaign books, or reading over them before adding/revising their articles.

quote:
Originally posted by Logan Featherfeet

When is the next volume due out? or has the compendium been discontinued?

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2008 :  01:29:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kuje has the right of it.

I'm waiting specifically, because my article does have references that may utlimately be affected by the guidelines published in the fan license. So I can't submit anything until I'm sure it's appropriate according to Wizards new policy.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 25 Aug 2008 01:30:21
Go to Top of Page

monknwildcat
Learned Scribe

USA
285 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2008 :  15:33:40  Show Profile  Visit monknwildcat's Homepage Send monknwildcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Kuje has the right of it.

I'm waiting specifically, because my article does have references that may utlimately be affected by the guidelines published in the fan license. So I can't submit anything until I'm sure it's appropriate according to Wizards new policy.

Would this new policy affect simply one article or completely eliminate fan netbooks like the Compendium?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2008 :  16:35:32  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm assuming it'll just affect the content of certain parts of the Compendium. Though, until we actually see the wording of the new policy, I don't think we can be sure either way.

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5691 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2008 :  20:01:19  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Aye, for now it's simply a case of "watch this space".

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Tyranthraxus
Senior Scribe

Netherlands
423 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2008 :  23:59:29  Show Profile  Visit Tyranthraxus's Homepage Send Tyranthraxus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let's hope the new policy doesn't effect the compendium too much. It would be a shame to stop .

Anyway, if all goes well, is the Realmslore in the new compendium going to be based on 3.5 or 4th edition? Or maybe a mix between both? Just curious.

It wouldn't matter to me because I like 3.5 and 4e could use some good Candlekeep input
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2008 :  00:02:49  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We're hoping it doesn't as well but least we've heard some word that the fan thingie is still being worked on.

As for the edition, I'd say that would be up to the article writers, and maybe also whatever the fan policy states. I know, if I can submit more articles, that mine won't be 4e.

quote:
Originally posted by Tyranthraxus

Let's hope the new policy doesn't effect the compendium too much. It would be a shame to stop .

Anyway, if all goes well, is the Realmslore in the new compendium going to be based on 3.5 or 4th edition? Or maybe a mix between both? Just curious.

It wouldn't matter to me because I like 3.5 and 4e could use some good Candlekeep input

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2008 :  00:45:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyranthraxus

As Kuje said, we really don't know too much about the policy at the moment. So far as we know, it's still "in the works."
quote:

Again, as Kuje said, the edition is entirely dependent upon the author of each and every article. But, as we've also seen in previous 'Volumes,' even some articles can be "edition-neutral." I'd expect this to continue in successive Compendium releases.

As for 4e articles, well, I'm not sure about the rest of the contributing scribes, but I know some aren't keen on working with material for the post-Spellplague Realms. Having said that, I will note that Garen Thal's "Monday Musings" articles have got me thinking about working on some ideas of my own that would draw collectively from 1e/2e/3e and 4e Realmslore. That's all still in the formative stages though, and may not see inclusion in the next 'Volume.' Besides, I've already got an article set aside for the next Compendium.

Edited by - The Sage on 23 Oct 2008 00:47:49
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2008 :  01:30:11  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You guys are still accepting new submissions right?

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2008 :  01:39:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pretty much.

If you're interested in joining the "Compendium Staff" Dalor, I would suggest you contact Alaundo directly.

Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2008 :  17:07:05  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is this still being worked on? Would be nice to see some new FR lore, after all!

Or are you still waiting for writers?
Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2008 :  17:21:15  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As far as I know, they are waiting for the release of the 4e fansite policy.

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links • 2ed Downloads
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2008 :  20:40:45  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yup, pretty much. :)

quote:
Originally posted by Ayunken-vanzan

As far as I know, they are waiting for the release of the 4e fansite policy.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2008 :  22:42:55  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed.

Uzzy, Kuje and Ayunken have the right of it. The collected scribes of the Candlekeep Compendium have discussed numerous ways in which we can release the next impending Volume of curious Realmslore, but we've yet to settle, definitively, on a course of action. The most probable scenario, at this time, is that we will await the release of WotC's "Fansite Policy."

Edited by - The Sage on 12 Dec 2008 22:43:48
Go to Top of Page

freyar
Learned Scribe

Canada
220 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2008 :  17:54:19  Show Profile  Visit freyar's Homepage Send freyar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't like being so cynical, but, given WotC's track record with the GSL (late release, announcing revisions before GenCon that haven't materialized yet), isn't waiting for a fan site policy kind of like waiting for Godot?

What policy did WotC have in the 3e era that allowed the Compendium?

My DnD Links and Creations
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2008 :  03:54:40  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There wasn't one and technically, what we all did was against copywrite/trademarks. Now, we are playing it safer because WOTC has said that they were/are working on a fan policy.

Edit: As I've said before, maybe on a different part of the boards, if everyone wants to release the new issue, just pull my articles because I respect WOTC's ownership and until I know for sure what they may, or may not, allow, I don't want to deal with the hassle of WOTC's IP.

quote:
Originally posted by freyar

What policy did WotC have in the 3e era that allowed the Compendium?

Edited by - Kuje on 14 Dec 2008 07:03:44
Go to Top of Page

ranger_of_the_unicorn_run
Learned Scribe

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2008 :  19:37:24  Show Profile Send ranger_of_the_unicorn_run a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe I'm being paranoid, but with the rule in the current GSL where you have to stop printing and destroy anything that conflicts with anything they put out (even if they put it out after you do), does this mean that there is the possibility of them telling us we have to take down what we have so far on the Compendium?
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2008 :  22:54:08  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They could, aye. Actually, WOTC could have said a long time ago to stop writing material for FR even in 3e because FR was not a part of the OGL. We are only on their sufferance and they could, if they wanted to, have legal right to tell us to stop writing FR material.

Would they? I have no idea. But this is also why, least for me, it might be a good idea to wait to see what this fan policy entails.

quote:
Originally posted by ranger_of_the_unicorn_run

Maybe I'm being paranoid, but with the rule in the current GSL where you have to stop printing and destroy anything that conflicts with anything they put out (even if they put it out after you do), does this mean that there is the possibility of them telling us we have to take down what we have so far on the Compendium?

Go to Top of Page

ranger_of_the_unicorn_run
Learned Scribe

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2008 :  04:39:40  Show Profile Send ranger_of_the_unicorn_run a Private Message  Reply with Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

They could, aye. Actually, WOTC could have said a long time ago to stop writing material for FR even in 3e because FR was not a part of the OGL. We are only on their sufferance and they could, if they wanted to, have legal right to tell us to stop writing FR material.

Would they? I have no idea. But this is also why, least for me, it might be a good idea to wait to see what this fan policy entails.

quote:
Originally posted by ranger_of_the_unicorn_run

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2008 :  13:44:49  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hope WotC realizes, however, that the Candlekeep Compendium is non-profit and is thus some form of free advertisement for their own products.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000