Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 The Waterdeep Times
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2005 :  02:48:51  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I am preparing for a major campaign starting in Waterdeep. What I would like to know is if any of the authors/designers could give me some 'events' that would be making the news in Waterdeep during the period between Shieldmeet and the end of the year. I'm trying to make this as fluid and realistic of an adventure as possible, and it would be great if I could include events happening that may or may not influence the course of my adventure, or the choices my players make. Anything that the town criers would be yelling, or the local news rags would be plastering on the front pages, or even a few tavern rumors. What I'm looking to do is have a timetable prepared so I may introduce new items as they occur.

ANY assistance would be very much appreciated.

Melfius, Pixie-Priest of Puck - Head Chef, The Faerie Kitchen, Candlekeep Inn
"What's in his pockets, besides me?"
Read a tale of my earlier days! - Happiness Comes in Small Packages

Edited by - Melfius on 28 Feb 2005 02:53:13

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2005 :  04:59:21  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A 3.5ed Waterdeep source book comes out this year around June/July called city of Spelendors

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2005 :  09:13:40  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, yeah, I know. Don't I get any points for impatience?

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2005 :  16:53:20  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm

Alicia could be returning again from the Moonshaes. Yeah that was in one of the Waterdeep sourcebooks but it could be reused. :)

Kidnapping of nobles, ambassadors, guild members/leaders, etc.

Thieves who have stolen from the rich.

Taverns/festhalls/inns that have just opened.

Galas/parties/events that nobles or the Open Lord or the temples or mages or anyone are having. There's always parties going on in Waterdeep. :)

Ships that might have gone missing.

News from outside the city.

I'd try to grab a copy of City System just for the random street scene booklet as well. :) Invaluable. Also WOTC did a Waterdeep article for the broadsheets a few years back. I linked them in my FR FAQ over on the WOTC boards.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

tauster
Senior Scribe

Germany
399 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2005 :  16:56:00  Show Profile  Visit tauster's Homepage Send tauster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
melfius, i donŽt know the year of your campaign, but perhaps youŽll find the following link useful: http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Castle/2566/waterdeep-herald.htm

i was overjoyed when i found it by accident and after reading through the fist few pieces, it slowly dawned on me how much work was put in these pages!

for additional "street flair", there are City Watch Event/Encounter Tables on the same site:
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Castle/2566/waterdeep-watchtables.htm

well... before typing all the other useful links ot that site, i might as well copy&paste the url of the homepage: http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Castle/2566/waterdeep.htm

hope youŽll enjoy reading as much as i did!

when you still need ideas, try both "ruins of undermountain"- boxes, they contain several adventures that link UM and waterdeep.

another homepage dedicated to the city of splendors: http://www.raflar.com/fantasyrpg/fantasy.php
i use their tavern "the dancing cyclops" in my campaign.
they have detailed an entire city block: http://www.raflar.com/fantasyrpg/places.php

"chapter 1" on this page contains hommade stuff about waterdeep: http://www.vaughanvisual.com/RPG/Campaigns/caravan.html

tauster
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2005 :  00:56:21  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep, AJA's Waterdeep Herald articles are some of my favourite "unofficial" Realmslore ever. Great work.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2005 :  03:32:16  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed of the Greenwood wrote many "breaking news" events in Waterdeep for the WotC website more than a year ago, and they haven't yet appeared.
I'm wondering if they're saving them to "support" the Waterdeep sourcebook and novel . . .
Hmmm. Must ask Ed in full purring persuasion mode . . .
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2005 :  04:09:51  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heck, at this point I'D go into purring persuasion mode!

But I'm sure your mode would have a better effect. Heck, it would HAVE an effect!

Thanks!

Go to Top of Page

Knightfall
Learned Scribe

Canada
148 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2014 :  19:15:29  Show Profile  Visit Knightfall's Homepage Send Knightfall a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know if AJA moved his Waterdeep Herald pages to another site after Geocities closed?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2014 :  19:56:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not that I am aware of, but you could always use the Internet Wayback Machine to pull those pages up, as they existed at some prior point in time. The dates in this scroll would obviously be a good target.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Knightfall
Learned Scribe

Canada
148 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2014 :  04:36:59  Show Profile  Visit Knightfall's Homepage Send Knightfall a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Not that I am aware of, but you could always use the Internet Wayback Machine to pull those pages up, as they existed at some prior point in time. The dates in this scroll would obviously be a good target.

I did find it on the Wayback Machine; I was just curious to see if he moved it elsewhere. I'm considering compiling it all into a PDF file, but I don't want to do work that he might have done already.

Edited by - Knightfall on 04 Oct 2014 04:38:09
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2014 :  15:18:17  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very cool - I hadn't been aware the site was down now. No wonder a bunch of my links don't work anymore.

Weird that you bring this up - I was just considering a Skullport newspaper m'self: 'The Dark Times'.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000