Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Erik Scott de Bie
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 64

Lirdolin
Learned Scribe

Germany
192 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2012 :  19:19:43  Show Profile  Visit Lirdolin's Homepage Send Lirdolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not really, no year is given and no famous citizen like the Blackstaff (in case of Vajra it would be 4e present day) is mentioned. The Spellplague hasn't been mentioned but one minor character might be spellscarred or even plaguechanged (guy who seems to be made up from tentacles and able to asume human form).

As the Roaringhorn brother's (yes, one uncle of Talandra appears as well) names are not identical to the twin patriarchs from the City of Splendors box (Who is who), or even their heir, we can probably asume that it's post-Spellplague
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2012 :  19:23:30  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, Talantress is sort of an indolent noble heiress with a penchant for sarcasm and BDSM. She also has a dark secret that has to do with finding a husband. Does that sound like Talanda?

As I understand it, Ed is writing from an era-neutral perspective, and the time stamp isn't supposed to matter for the first few issues. So maybe the lore gleaning will have to wait for now. The comics also may or may be canon.

I'm excited to read it and see where it goes!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Signature of Shameless Self-Promotion +6: Order my sixth novel, Shadow of the Winter King (Amazon, e-signing, Dragonmoon Press)

Also check out my Realms work, most recently Shadowbane: Eye of Justice, out now on e-readers everywhere! (Kindle, Nook)

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 09 Jun 2012 19:29:55
Go to Top of Page

Lirdolin
Learned Scribe

Germany
192 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2012 :  19:31:52  Show Profile  Visit Lirdolin's Homepage Send Lirdolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Or maybe we try to ask the guy who wrote the comic nicely
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2012 :  19:52:31  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good plan!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Signature of Shameless Self-Promotion +6: Order my sixth novel, Shadow of the Winter King (Amazon, e-signing, Dragonmoon Press)

Also check out my Realms work, most recently Shadowbane: Eye of Justice, out now on e-readers everywhere! (Kindle, Nook)
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2012 :  17:51:02  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A reader discovered an Easter Egg in a novel I published 5 years ago. Self-satisfied grin. (Depths of Madness p 158)

Also, I'm finally acquiring a book I promised a reader a long time ago.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2039 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2012 :  02:11:22  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ERik I got a quest for you.... there's no xp for it though. Can you ask wotc that if they should ever do a shadowbane omnibus, if they would do it in tradeback instead of eformat?

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2012 :  03:08:53  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let me redirect the request to you: Would you go onto WotC's forums and advocate for this? I've already made the suggestion, but hearing the demand from fans makes things more likely to happen.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2039 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2012 :  03:56:00  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/29195705/A_tradebook_request?sdb=1
did that

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2012 :  16:05:22  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That really would make a lot of sense, what with the most recent two being e-book only releases initially. That "first time in print" slogan is valuable.

I envision a couple of options:

Print DOWNSHADOW, "Chosen of the Sword," and SHADOWBANE as an omnibus. That sets them up for an omnibus of the next story arc, which begins with EYE OF JUSTICE.

When I do the next book in the series, release SHADOWBANE, EYE OF JUSTICE, and "UNTITLED" as an omnibus. This would certainly be a cool/complete story arc.

I could see it going either way, really.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
2905 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2012 :  19:26:20  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Then I could finally read them...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2039 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2012 :  21:31:14  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

Then I could finally read them...

you and me both.

I'd spend time not in front of my computer...

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2012 :  19:45:07  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's a question from a Russian reader, which I thought I'd share here for everyone to see:

quote:
After reading the Downshadow novel I got a question. What monk order did Rath belong to? If I'm correct there was a note in chapter two of three that he killed his entire order. But still I have no idea what order was it.
Could you possibly cast some light on it?
Tnx.)
You are indeed correct, Rath did belong to a monkly order, which I have not identified as yet. I have plans to reveal more, but for the moment, suffice it to say that it was an order sworn to darkness, the void, and emptiness. Feel free to speculate!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2039 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2012 :  20:05:31  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
he's a dark moon or he was...... eaither that or Long Death....

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2012 :  02:10:33  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Here's a question from a Russian reader, which I thought I'd share here for everyone to see:

quote:
After reading the Downshadow novel I got a question. What monk order did Rath belong to? If I'm correct there was a note in chapter two of three that he killed his entire order. But still I have no idea what order was it.
Could you possibly cast some light on it?
Tnx.)
You are indeed correct, Rath did belong to a monkly order, which I have not identified as yet. I have plans to reveal more, but for the moment, suffice it to say that it was an order sworn to darkness, the void, and emptiness. Feel free to speculate!

Cheers

Can you at at least tell us whether this monkish order has been referenced in the Realmslore previously, or is it an entirely newly crafted organisation?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2012 :  04:24:28  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I left it vague a little on purpose, but SFD is on the right track.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2012 :  06:31:30  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

I left it vague a little on purpose, but SFD is on the right track.

Cheers

Now you've got me eager to peruse the sporadic sources we have on monkish order Realmslore!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2012 :  06:50:58  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There will be more in EYE OF JUSTICE, no doubt.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

617 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2012 :  15:06:50  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

Dark moon. Long Death was more of a God of Death order.

Erik will there be extra material in your next ebook? For example, a map of Westgate.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2012 :  15:43:11  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bakra

Erik will there be extra material in your next ebook? For example, a map of Westgate.
Your guess is as good as mine. I'll send an email, though!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2039 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2012 :  21:17:01  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

( creepy dwarven voice}Something you need??(creepy dwarven voice)
Long death was not death god, they worshiped death itself and as such wished to send all life into the void....

and shar's dark moon well its Shar no explainations needed

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2039 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2012 :  21:17:51  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ws the guy ot department to email asking to have shadowbane novels printed as omnibus ERik???

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2012 :  23:03:13  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't have a name for you. The best I can do, SFD, is to recommend advocating for it on wotc's site, on Facebook, twitter, etc.

You can send me an email to forward to the book department, if you like.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

617 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2012 :  15:51:48  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

( creepy dwarven voice}Something you need??(creepy dwarven voice)
Long death was not death god, they worshiped death itself and as such wished to send all life into the void....

and shar's dark moon well its Shar no explainations needed

Well they had worshipers who followed the darker death gods. The monks wanted to understand the nature of death and how it affected living tissue.(PGtF pg.65) They didn't wish to send all life to the void. They just didn't care what happened afterwards. I keep thinking there is another source that mentions Kelevmor trying to convert them.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3532 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2012 :  00:32:26  Show Profile  Send The Red Walker a Yahoo! Message Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Erik, I just wanted to make sure I gave you a proper thank you for all you did with the Candlekeep seminar. 4.5 hours, that for us in the audience felt went by too fast! Also glad I had the chance to slip to the front and have you sign a bookmark. I wanted to introduce myself as who I am on here, but just didn't have the heart to give you another reason to stay even later!

You did a great job doing all you could get away with, since the keynote was still going on. maybe next year I will get a chance to by you a beer or three that you have more than earned.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2012 :  02:36:16  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I recognized you, TRW. We've met before. Were you the goodsir sitting next to Ben the Tree?

And I got to sleep around 3:30 am that night. Not your fault by any means.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 64 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000