Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Erik Scott de Bie
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 64

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2012 :  18:10:33  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WHEN THE HERO COMES HOME, co-edited by Gabrielle Harbowy and Ed Greenwood is a finalist for ForeWord Book of the Year Anthology.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Signature of Shameless Self-Promotion +6: Order my sixth novel, Shadow of the Winter King (Amazon, e-signing, Dragonmoon Press)

Also check out my Realms work, most recently Shadowbane: Eye of Justice, out now on e-readers everywhere! (Kindle, Nook)
Go to Top of Page

Gabrielle_H
Seeker

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2012 :  03:44:02  Show Profile  Visit Gabrielle_H's Homepage Send Gabrielle_H a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

My congrats, too, Erik, but for those of us tuning in late, which particular award is the anthology up for? The Hugo nominations aren't out yet, are they?

If only HERO were up for a Hugo! :)

Hold on...must daydream just a bit longer...

ForeWord Book of the Year, Anthology Category. It's an award for excellence in small and independent presses. Novels by HERO contributors Marie Bilodeau and J.P. Moore have been past winners, and this year the latest volume in contributor Chris Jackson's "Scimitar Seas" series is up for Best Fantasy (having won the gold in that category the last two years).

Gabrielle Harbowy, scribe and editrix
http://www.gabrielle-edits.com
twitter: @gabrielle_h
Go to Top of Page

Shadowjim
Acolyte

Greece
1 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2012 :  11:10:26  Show Profile  Visit Shadowjim's Homepage Send Shadowjim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sage Eric, sir

Recently the Neverwinter campaign guide fall in my hands. It's cover showes a grand bridge. Where does this bridge lies? Inside or outside of Neverwinter? Can you also give me some info of the harpers during this period? Where are their HQ? Who are their leaders now?
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2012 :  16:23:53  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met, Shadowjim,

The cover of the NWCS takes some artistic liberties, as covers tend to do, but I believe the bridge depicted is one of the bridges that connects the Protector's Enclave to Blacklake, where you'll find Castle Never (depicted in the background). This would, I believe, be the Sleeping Dragon bridge, which is the western-most bridge inside Neverwinter (closest to the docks). It was carved in olden times to resemble a sleeping dragon. Much of this carving has been lost in the last century, replaced by a more functional, utilitarian bridge, but there's a movement in the city to replicate/recreate the original carving.

See this document here for a little more information: http://www.wizardsofthecoast-digital.com/wizardsofthecoast/neverwinter_saga?pg=24#pg1

About the Harpers: the organization exists in the 1480s, but it is more secretive than before. Or, at least, we know less about it than we did in the past. The Harpers in the North are based out of Everlund, where they devote their efforts to stemming the tide of aggressive political/espionage actions by the dark powers in the world, particularly (but not only) the Shades of Netheril. As of old, there are numerous potent individuals in the Realms today who have ties to the organization, including at least one of my novel characters (Lady Ilira Nathalan).

I don't want to go too much into the lore about the current structure and activities of the larger Harper organization, as it would be a shame of me to contradict something else that may or may not be being written about the Harpers as we speak. So let's leave it at NDA there.

Locally, the Harpers took an interest in Neverwinter as a bulwark to check the imperialist tendencies of Lord Dagult Neverember. Until recently, they were led in the city by a hardened spy called Cymril, who befell a treacherous assassination (or possibly faked her own death. The organization is run by Toram and Theryis out of the House of a Thousand Faces tavern in Blacklake, which was--fun fact--originally part of the Nathalan Menagerie chain of fashion boutiques (those who've read Downshadow might know what I'm talking about). See NWCS p 24 (Harper Agent background), p 119 (the Harpers section), and p 156 (House of a Thousand Faces).

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Signature of Shameless Self-Promotion +6: Order my sixth novel, Shadow of the Winter King (Amazon, e-signing, Dragonmoon Press)

Also check out my Realms work, most recently Shadowbane: Eye of Justice, out now on e-readers everywhere! (Kindle, Nook)
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2012 :  17:11:48  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the link to the digital stuff, Erik. I liked the pronunciation guide in particular.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2012 :  04:11:52  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just dropping by to observe that the cover for Shadowbane: Eye of Justice has appeared in the ether.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Product.aspx?x=dnd/products/frnovel/49806000

Not sure if this is the final cover, but it fits the preliminary art I've seen.

And who is that leather-bound beauty with the deadly steel on the cover, I wonder?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2012 :  05:39:49  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Congrats Erik. Amazon hasn't gotten the art yet it seems so I'll wait till then for an image that can be enlarged to get a better look at the cover.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2012 :  06:19:34  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, the resolution isn't great. We'll get a better one eventually.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2012 :  14:07:13  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage  Click to see Alisttair's MSN Messenger address Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Morda level 14 NPC Lurker
Hey Erik, I took a look at the statblock for your Priestess of Shar. Really liked it. In fact, I think i will borrow her stat block from you to use in my home campaign (the PCs just hit level 14 and are in the Shadowfell in the village of Fellwroth, about to head to Kazzak'Tul to eventually face Urag - who I happened to flavor as being the "not-quite-dead" Ogre King (from the Barrow of the Ogre King adventure in the FRCG) and Netheril is the major protagonist in the campaign so I'll just re-flavor her, maybe as a native of Fellwroth - the part of her thirsting for extreme experiences fits with the Shadar-Kai of Fellwroth being risk takers who like to try their luck in the Darkreach Mountains - maybe she could be the one possible guide they find to lead them through the mouontains...leading them into a trap...).
Anyways yeah looks good, some pretty badass abilities that fit for a Priestess of Shar.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2012 :  14:46:15  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glad you like it, Alisttair--feel free to steal it!

If you run her as a monster, you should probably ignore her healing abilities, as that will just prolong a fight. That's more useful as a support mechanism for the PCs. Without the healing word and second wind-esque ability, she's pretty much just a lurker.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2012 :  15:42:03  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage  Click to see Alisttair's MSN Messenger address Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Glad you like it, Alisttair--feel free to steal it!

If you run her as a monster, you should probably ignore her healing abilities, as that will just prolong a fight. That's more useful as a support mechanism for the PCs. Without the healing word and second wind-esque ability, she's pretty much just a lurker.

Cheers

Yeah I think i'll maybe use her as written to support the party in one encounter (which i can up the EL a notch, lots of elementals or something on the Frozen Path) and drop those for when i use her as a villain. Thanks!

Oh and I finally discovered the Tome Show, which has made my 40 min. drive to work and the 50 min drive home much more bearable. Really enjoyed your guest spots on there. Cheers!

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2012 :  15:52:18  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm glad you enjoyed!

I hope to do a guest spot on the Tome Show for my next novel this summer. Both Tracy and Jeff seem to really like the Shadowbane series.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2012 :  17:41:59  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage  Click to see Alisttair's MSN Messenger address Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm glad you enjoyed!

I hope to do a guest spot on the Tome Show for my next novel this summer. Both Tracy and Jeff seem to really like the Shadowbane series.

Cheers

Pretty easy to like. Upper echelon of realmsian novels. Was the reason i asked (and got) an e-reader for xmas. Looking forward to the next one.
By the way, what part did you contribute most to the Gloomwrought product? (too hard to search for this answer (if u already did) from my iPhone lol) thanks!

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30403 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2012 :  17:32:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So I'm reading in the Neverwinter campaign book about this new enclave, Kolthunral. Is this some bit of prior lore that I'd missed, or is this totally new? If the latter, is there some history on this enclave that you can share? The NCS was lacking, in that particular area.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2012 :  22:15:09  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe (and I've checked with the James brothers and Ari, who wrote that section) that Kolthunral is a previously-unknown enclave, and that the NWCS is its first known appearance. I hesitate to offer more lore about it, in case WotC plans to release something more about it. I currently have a sending out to the powers that be--we'll see.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30403 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2012 :  22:35:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I believe (and I've checked with the James brothers and Ari, who wrote that section) that Kolthunral is a previously-unknown enclave, and that the NWCS is its first known appearance. I hesitate to offer more lore about it, in case WotC plans to release something more about it. I currently have a sending out to the powers that be--we'll see.

Cheers

Was there a particular reason there was no backstory given for this enclave?

Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2130 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2012 :  22:53:03  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Erik,

Is there any chance of getting some Pathfinder Tales stories from you as well? Or original fiction (preferably fantasy)? I love you writing and tend to obsessively collect the writings of the authors I love to read.

--Hawkins

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2012 :  00:01:30  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Wooly: I wouldn't want to speak for Ari, but probably because it was a little outside the scope of Neverwinter as a campaign setting. Also it leaves a door pretty wide open.

@Hawkins: There's lots of original fiction by me out there (hopefully some novels in the future)--check here: www.erikscottdebie.com/bibliography

As for Pathfinder, it is indeed possible. There may or may not be plans...

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30403 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2012 :  04:33:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

@Wooly: I wouldn't want to speak for Ari, but probably because it was a little outside the scope of Neverwinter as a campaign setting. Also it leaves a door pretty wide open.

Meh. I don't mind a door being left wide open, but I like to know where that door is. Giving even a couple of lines of backstory would have still left doors open, but it would have at least given a starting point.

Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2012 :  03:22:36  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Erik, do you have an endgame in mind for the Shadowbane character? Also, does the novel Shadowbane reference Bregan D'aerthe's presence in Luskan?

"...the will is everything. The will to act."--Ra's Al Ghul

"Suffering builds character."--Talia Al Ghul
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2012 :  08:13:29  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Entromancer

Erik, do you have an endgame in mind for the Shadowbane character?
I do, actually. While I support whole-heartedly the technique of leaving doors open to revisit stories, I also think a story should have a beginning, a middle, and an end. Kalen "Shadowbane" Dren has a destiny, and it's an awesome one, I think.

It's also several books away. At least 3-4.

quote:
Also, does the novel Shadowbane reference Bregan D'aerthe's presence in Luskan?
Not really. By the time I get to Luskan, the drow have pretty much used up Luskan and their interest has waned. That said, there's a LOT of scheming and intrigue going on beneath the surface, and you better believe some drow are involved there. They just don't get actual face-time in the novel.

Teaser! There will be more drow activity in the next novel, Eye of Justice.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Lirdolin
Learned Scribe

Germany
192 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2012 :  16:39:28  Show Profile  Visit Lirdolin's Homepage Send Lirdolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Eric,
just finished reading the IDW comic Forgotten Realms #1 and wanted to ask you if you know if Lady Talandra Roaringhorn from the comic is identical to Lady Talantress Roaringhorn from your Downshadow-Novel?
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2012 :  16:52:50  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lirdolin

Hello Eric,
just finished reading the IDW comic Forgotten Realms #1 and wanted to ask you if you know if Lady Talandra Roaringhorn from the comic is identical to Lady Talantress Roaringhorn from your Downshadow-Novel?

I haven't read that comic, so I can't say. My gut instinct says probably not, but she's related. Ed created Talantress, so it's vanishingly unlikely he'd muddle the name.

Can you tell me anything about this Talandra?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Lirdolin
Learned Scribe

Germany
192 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2012 :  18:10:03  Show Profile  Visit Lirdolin's Homepage Send Lirdolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Talandra is the daughter of Lord Haelram Roaringhorn and his wife(shown but unnamed in comic). Her brother seems to be missing and is presumed to possibly be dead, making Talandra the heiress of the family, a thought that displeases her father as he describes her as: "...ready for nothing but preening and posing and teasing young boys to the very brink."
She ist the girl with the dark hair and red top on the cover of issue 1 (can be found via google)

Her depiction seems to be very similar to the discription of Talantress in Downshadow, so i doubt that one is the mother.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2012 :  18:45:42  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any idea about chronology?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 64 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000