Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Erik Scott de Bie
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 64

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2012 :  18:17:21  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

quote:
Erik Scott de Bie

Well met! For those who are interested, I've collected some thoughts about the just-announced 5e system ...
Thoughts?
I think you're insane to invite such talk into your scroll, lol.
Maybe just excited.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Signature of Shameless Self-Promotion +6: Order my sixth novel, Shadow of the Winter King (Amazon, e-signing, Dragonmoon Press)

Also check out my Realms work, most recently Shadowbane: Eye of Justice, out now on e-readers everywhere! (Kindle, Nook)
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2130 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2012 :  19:33:27  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, according to my Kindle, I am 53% of the way through Downshadow (I started reading it on the bus to work Wednesday morning). This has been a very enjoyable read. I particularly liked the details that you have put into the serial novels by "Thann" (Danilo or a descendant, I presume) and those that I believe detail the life of Fox-at-Twilight. Those allusions to characters that I have loved in the past have made this story quite enjoyable. One of my main problems is that not knowing how spell scars work mechanically is making it a little difficult to understand how exactly they function in the story. Also, I do not understand (or maybe just missed) when or where Kalen obtained his spell scar, seeing as he is clearly not 104 years old (but this also probably stems from my misunderstanding of how spell scars work). Anyways, I often judge how good a book is by how long it takes me to read it (especially now that I have a 4 month old ruling my free time), and I am impressed with how well you have pulled me into this novel. I look forward to finishing this novel and reading more about Kalen in the future (and hopefully Fox-at-twilight as well).
--Hawkins

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2012 :  19:55:40  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met, Hawkins:

Spellscars are something you can acquire at any point after the Spellplague, either from coming into contact with a Plagueland (an area where the Spellplague persists, like a dead/wild magic zone), an object/person/please with an active pocket of Spellplague, or by inheriting it from an ancestor (like a curse). I don't think at the point you are in the book that Kalen has explained his history or spellscar, but he will eventually.

It isn't made clear, but my intention there is to have that be Danilo's actual work--he grew quite famous as a bard and poet. I don't want to go too far into it, though, as I wouldn't want to step on Elaine's toes. (That bit of poesy actually comes from Elaine's pen--she wrote it for me to include it in the book.)

You are correct in your interpretation of what the chapbooks mean. A number of those are references to other Realms stories as well, include Master of Chains, Bloodwalker, Silverfall, Erevis Cale, and others.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Signature of Shameless Self-Promotion +6: Order my sixth novel, Shadow of the Winter King (Amazon, e-signing, Dragonmoon Press)

Also check out my Realms work, most recently Shadowbane: Eye of Justice, out now on e-readers everywhere! (Kindle, Nook)
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1265 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2012 :  00:26:34  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So I promised I'd tell you when I finished Ghostwalker, and I just did. The ending was totally brilliant, and romantic, and sad! And the song of the Nightingale... all I can say is, you GET it. You get the Realms, on a fundamental level.

I want to ask questions, but I don't want to put spoilers into your thread, hehe!

4E Realms was awful, but it's water under the Boareskyr Bridge. Let's make 5E Realms truly shine!
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
6146 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2012 :  01:41:59  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I, too, read and greatly enjoyed Ghostwalker. I hope we shall do business again, Mister Bie.

Eat lots of garlic - it keeps the elves and vampires away.
Don't stick your sword into dragons, you just don't know where they've been.
Avoid stepping on halflings. They stick to your boots, will smell awful, and are impossible to scrape off.
Ah, of course. Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.
[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2012 :  02:30:51  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the kind words, guys!

If you feel strongly about it, consider writing an amazon review? And/or toss me a blurb/quote, and I'll immortalize you on the web?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1265 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2012 :  04:06:16  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Thanks for the kind words, guys!

If you feel strongly about it, consider writing an amazon review? And/or toss me a blurb/quote, and I'll immortalize you on the web?

Cheers

I'm happy to write a review, but just not on Amazon. Some other website? Here or ? (Not WotC, I deleted my account over there).

4E Realms was awful, but it's water under the Boareskyr Bridge. Let's make 5E Realms truly shine!

Edited by - Therise on 16 Jan 2012 04:07:36
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2012 :  04:35:36  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here, b&n, Facebook, wherever you feel comfortable.

Not an amazon gal, eh? I only suggested there because it's the most widely read venue.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
6146 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2012 :  06:20:56  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm just curious, Erik - and ye needn't answer of course - but which of the books ye've written is best known or had strongest sales?

Avoid stepping on halflings. They stick to your boots, will smell awful, and are impossible to scrape off.
[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2012 :  06:36:42  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hard to say, really. Each book I put out builds on the previous one, which is natural and a good sign. Possibly GHOSTWALKER--it's an accomplishment to be six years in print and still selling well.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
6146 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2012 :  06:58:03  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll happily drop your name on a book review. Why, I might even try it out on social occasions ("Reservation for who? Ah, I'm Erik Scott de Bie, the famous author") ... I just hope people don't comment that they'd always imagined ESdB would be taller.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2130 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2012 :  20:09:46  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Mmm, not the darkenss," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there."--Lol. Wow, Erik. Thank you so much for including that little bit in Shadowbane.

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2012 :  20:12:37  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What can I say? I'm a comedian.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1265 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2012 :  18:46:00  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Erik, as promised here's my review of Ghostwalker.

Go to Top of Page

Rosemary Jones
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
148 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2012 :  17:21:39  Show Profile  Visit Rosemary Jones's Homepage Send Rosemary Jones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

What can I say? I'm a comedian.

Cheers

For those of you who have not met the tall guy in person, I can state that he's speaking the absolute truth here. He's also a terrific performer, so don't miss his readings at bookstores, coffeshops, or Gen Con.

If you have the time and inclination, check his podcasts as a high-powered technosavant superhero Stardust. More on his alter ego here: http://www.timidpirate.com/2011/10/19/author-interview-erik-scott-de-bie/

I'm lobbying Wizards for you to make podcasts of some of your Realms stories.

Now going back to lurking mode....

Rosemary Jones
www.rosemaryjones.com
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2012 :  20:17:18  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey all,

I just thought you might like these: http://erikscottdebie.com/2012/02/02/heroes-of-downshadow/

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2130 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2012 :  17:35:36  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Erik,

Was Rath originally intended to be a Monk of the Long Death? I am just asking because his overall demeanor seemed to fit well within their mind set. Also, will we ever find out if Kalen actually killed him or not at the end of Downshadow (a negative response is fine); in Shadowbane we have conflicting accounts from Myrin and Kalen as to what exactly occurred.

--Hawkins

P.S. Loved your books so far. I never know what to say in a review though. Any tips? (Other than, "Erik is awesome and you should buy and read his novels!" Which is totally true.)

* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2012 :  20:04:59  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In honor of Valentine's Day, here's a short bonus non-canonical Shadowbane story--what basically amounts to, if you ask Fayne, "Kalen/Myrin slash fiction." :)

http://erikscottdebie.com/2012/02/14/shadowbane-side-story-really-dont-do-that/

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Master of Realmslore

1962 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2012 :  21:05:32  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
About Fayne.

It's such a Payne

in the Rayne

So she hates Lady Ilira Nathalan so much for the death of her mother that much.

Has she realized yet that she has become what she hates the most???

and what will she do when she realizes this???

Oh Erevan Ilesere you are a nasty jester.... hahahahahahaha

a short tale of her at a bar talking with a complete stranger about this would be funny to read.
could see it now FAyne storming out of the bar cursing her head off with enough words to make a sailor blush

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2012 :  21:59:23  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Part of imitating Ilira is intentional--beating her at her own game, as it were. And part of it is being the daughter of Lilten. And part of it's just crazy fun.

But yes, the irony is intentional on my part!

And yes, I definitely agree. A story about her would be pretty awesome to write. One day!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Master of Realmslore

1962 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2012 :  22:17:55  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
how about a ddi article today....
I would glady pay you tuesday for a Fayne Article today.....

I'm glad I'm not that old...... but I'm old enough dor the reruns..... and thats if the origin of the original comment is found...

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2012 :  22:58:14  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hrast it, SFD. Now you've got me all writey and stuff.

Sigh.

[goes off to write Fayne story]

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

vallon
Seeker

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2012 :  15:35:28  Show Profile Send vallon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, Erik! Congrats to you(and everyone else involved)for the nomination of 'When the Hero Comes Home' for Best Anthology of 2011. Well done!
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2012 :  15:38:10  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vallon

Hi, Erik! Congrats to you(and everyone else involved)for the nomination of 'When the Hero Comes Home' for Best Anthology of 2011. Well done!

Thanks! It's an honor.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1759 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2012 :  17:49:06  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My congrats, too, Erik, but for those of us tuning in late, which particular award is the anthology up for? The Hugo nominations aren't out yet, are they?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 64 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000