Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Erik Scott de Bie
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 53

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2012 :  15:42:03  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Glad you like it, Alisttair--feel free to steal it!

If you run her as a monster, you should probably ignore her healing abilities, as that will just prolong a fight. That's more useful as a support mechanism for the PCs. Without the healing word and second wind-esque ability, she's pretty much just a lurker.

Cheers

Yeah I think i'll maybe use her as written to support the party in one encounter (which i can up the EL a notch, lots of elementals or something on the Frozen Path) and drop those for when i use her as a villain. Thanks!

Oh and I finally discovered the Tome Show, which has made my 40 min. drive to work and the 50 min drive home much more bearable. Really enjoyed your guest spots on there. Cheers!

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2012 :  15:52:18  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm glad you enjoyed!

I hope to do a guest spot on the Tome Show for my next novel this summer. Both Tracy and Jeff seem to really like the Shadowbane series.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2012 :  17:41:59  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm glad you enjoyed!

I hope to do a guest spot on the Tome Show for my next novel this summer. Both Tracy and Jeff seem to really like the Shadowbane series.

Cheers

Pretty easy to like. Upper echelon of realmsian novels. Was the reason i asked (and got) an e-reader for xmas. Looking forward to the next one.
By the way, what part did you contribute most to the Gloomwrought product? (too hard to search for this answer (if u already did) from my iPhone lol) thanks!

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2012 :  17:32:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So I'm reading in the Neverwinter campaign book about this new enclave, Kolthunral. Is this some bit of prior lore that I'd missed, or is this totally new? If the latter, is there some history on this enclave that you can share? The NCS was lacking, in that particular area.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2012 :  22:15:09  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe (and I've checked with the James brothers and Ari, who wrote that section) that Kolthunral is a previously-unknown enclave, and that the NWCS is its first known appearance. I hesitate to offer more lore about it, in case WotC plans to release something more about it. I currently have a sending out to the powers that be--we'll see.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2012 :  22:35:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I believe (and I've checked with the James brothers and Ari, who wrote that section) that Kolthunral is a previously-unknown enclave, and that the NWCS is its first known appearance. I hesitate to offer more lore about it, in case WotC plans to release something more about it. I currently have a sending out to the powers that be--we'll see.

Cheers

Was there a particular reason there was no backstory given for this enclave?

Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2012 :  22:53:03  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Erik,

Is there any chance of getting some Pathfinder Tales stories from you as well? Or original fiction (preferably fantasy)? I love you writing and tend to obsessively collect the writings of the authors I love to read.

--Hawkins

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2012 :  00:01:30  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Wooly: I wouldn't want to speak for Ari, but probably because it was a little outside the scope of Neverwinter as a campaign setting. Also it leaves a door pretty wide open.

@Hawkins: There's lots of original fiction by me out there (hopefully some novels in the future)--check here: www.erikscottdebie.com/bibliography

As for Pathfinder, it is indeed possible. There may or may not be plans...

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2012 :  04:33:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

@Wooly: I wouldn't want to speak for Ari, but probably because it was a little outside the scope of Neverwinter as a campaign setting. Also it leaves a door pretty wide open.

Meh. I don't mind a door being left wide open, but I like to know where that door is. Giving even a couple of lines of backstory would have still left doors open, but it would have at least given a starting point.

Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2012 :  03:22:36  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Erik, do you have an endgame in mind for the Shadowbane character? Also, does the novel Shadowbane reference Bregan D'aerthe's presence in Luskan?

"...the will is everything. The will to act."--Ra's Al Ghul

"Suffering builds character."--Talia Al Ghul
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2012 :  08:13:29  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Entromancer

Erik, do you have an endgame in mind for the Shadowbane character?
I do, actually. While I support whole-heartedly the technique of leaving doors open to revisit stories, I also think a story should have a beginning, a middle, and an end. Kalen "Shadowbane" Dren has a destiny, and it's an awesome one, I think.

It's also several books away. At least 3-4.

quote:
Also, does the novel Shadowbane reference Bregan D'aerthe's presence in Luskan?
Not really. By the time I get to Luskan, the drow have pretty much used up Luskan and their interest has waned. That said, there's a LOT of scheming and intrigue going on beneath the surface, and you better believe some drow are involved there. They just don't get actual face-time in the novel.

Teaser! There will be more drow activity in the next novel, Eye of Justice.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Lirdolin
Learned Scribe

Germany
194 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2012 :  16:39:28  Show Profile  Visit Lirdolin's Homepage Send Lirdolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Eric,
just finished reading the IDW comic Forgotten Realms #1 and wanted to ask you if you know if Lady Talandra Roaringhorn from the comic is identical to Lady Talantress Roaringhorn from your Downshadow-Novel?
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2012 :  16:52:50  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lirdolin

Hello Eric,
just finished reading the IDW comic Forgotten Realms #1 and wanted to ask you if you know if Lady Talandra Roaringhorn from the comic is identical to Lady Talantress Roaringhorn from your Downshadow-Novel?

I haven't read that comic, so I can't say. My gut instinct says probably not, but she's related. Ed created Talantress, so it's vanishingly unlikely he'd muddle the name.

Can you tell me anything about this Talandra?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Lirdolin
Learned Scribe

Germany
194 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2012 :  18:10:03  Show Profile  Visit Lirdolin's Homepage Send Lirdolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Talandra is the daughter of Lord Haelram Roaringhorn and his wife(shown but unnamed in comic). Her brother seems to be missing and is presumed to possibly be dead, making Talandra the heiress of the family, a thought that displeases her father as he describes her as: "...ready for nothing but preening and posing and teasing young boys to the very brink."
She ist the girl with the dark hair and red top on the cover of issue 1 (can be found via google)

Her depiction seems to be very similar to the discription of Talantress in Downshadow, so i doubt that one is the mother.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2012 :  18:45:42  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any idea about chronology?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Lirdolin
Learned Scribe

Germany
194 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2012 :  19:19:43  Show Profile  Visit Lirdolin's Homepage Send Lirdolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not really, no year is given and no famous citizen like the Blackstaff (in case of Vajra it would be 4e present day) is mentioned. The Spellplague hasn't been mentioned but one minor character might be spellscarred or even plaguechanged (guy who seems to be made up from tentacles and able to asume human form).

As the Roaringhorn brother's (yes, one uncle of Talandra appears as well) names are not identical to the twin patriarchs from the City of Splendors box (Who is who), or even their heir, we can probably asume that it's post-Spellplague
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2012 :  19:23:30  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, Talantress is sort of an indolent noble heiress with a penchant for sarcasm and BDSM. She also has a dark secret that has to do with finding a husband. Does that sound like Talanda?

As I understand it, Ed is writing from an era-neutral perspective, and the time stamp isn't supposed to matter for the first few issues. So maybe the lore gleaning will have to wait for now. The comics also may or may be canon.

I'm excited to read it and see where it goes!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 09 Jun 2012 19:29:55
Go to Top of Page

Lirdolin
Learned Scribe

Germany
194 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2012 :  19:31:52  Show Profile  Visit Lirdolin's Homepage Send Lirdolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Or maybe we try to ask the guy who wrote the comic nicely
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2012 :  19:52:31  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good plan!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2012 :  17:51:02  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A reader discovered an Easter Egg in a novel I published 5 years ago. Self-satisfied grin. (Depths of Madness p 158)

Also, I'm finally acquiring a book I promised a reader a long time ago.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2012 :  02:11:22  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ERik I got a quest for you.... there's no xp for it though. Can you ask wotc that if they should ever do a shadowbane omnibus, if they would do it in tradeback instead of eformat?

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2012 :  03:08:53  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let me redirect the request to you: Would you go onto WotC's forums and advocate for this? I've already made the suggestion, but hearing the demand from fans makes things more likely to happen.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2012 :  03:56:00  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/29195705/A_tradebook_request?sdb=1
did that

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2012 :  16:05:22  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That really would make a lot of sense, what with the most recent two being e-book only releases initially. That "first time in print" slogan is valuable.

I envision a couple of options:

Print DOWNSHADOW, "Chosen of the Sword," and SHADOWBANE as an omnibus. That sets them up for an omnibus of the next story arc, which begins with EYE OF JUSTICE.

When I do the next book in the series, release SHADOWBANE, EYE OF JUSTICE, and "UNTITLED" as an omnibus. This would certainly be a cool/complete story arc.

I could see it going either way, really.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2012 :  19:26:20  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Then I could finally read them...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2012 :  21:31:14  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

Then I could finally read them...

you and me both.

I'd spend time not in front of my computer...

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2012 :  19:45:07  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's a question from a Russian reader, which I thought I'd share here for everyone to see:

quote:
After reading the Downshadow novel I got a question. What monk order did Rath belong to? If I'm correct there was a note in chapter two of three that he killed his entire order. But still I have no idea what order was it.
Could you possibly cast some light on it?
Tnx.)
You are indeed correct, Rath did belong to a monkly order, which I have not identified as yet. I have plans to reveal more, but for the moment, suffice it to say that it was an order sworn to darkness, the void, and emptiness. Feel free to speculate!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2012 :  20:05:31  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
he's a dark moon or he was...... eaither that or Long Death....

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2012 :  02:10:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Here's a question from a Russian reader, which I thought I'd share here for everyone to see:

quote:
After reading the Downshadow novel I got a question. What monk order did Rath belong to? If I'm correct there was a note in chapter two of three that he killed his entire order. But still I have no idea what order was it.
Could you possibly cast some light on it?
Tnx.)
You are indeed correct, Rath did belong to a monkly order, which I have not identified as yet. I have plans to reveal more, but for the moment, suffice it to say that it was an order sworn to darkness, the void, and emptiness. Feel free to speculate!

Cheers

Can you at at least tell us whether this monkish order has been referenced in the Realmslore previously, or is it an entirely newly crafted organisation?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2012 :  04:24:28  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I left it vague a little on purpose, but SFD is on the right track.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 53 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000