Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Erik Scott de Bie
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 53

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2012 :  02:30:51  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the kind words, guys!

If you feel strongly about it, consider writing an amazon review? And/or toss me a blurb/quote, and I'll immortalize you on the web?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2012 :  04:06:16  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Thanks for the kind words, guys!

If you feel strongly about it, consider writing an amazon review? And/or toss me a blurb/quote, and I'll immortalize you on the web?

Cheers

I'm happy to write a review, but just not on Amazon. Some other website? Here or ? (Not WotC, I deleted my account over there).

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!

Edited by - Therise on 16 Jan 2012 04:07:36
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2012 :  04:35:36  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here, b&n, Facebook, wherever you feel comfortable.

Not an amazon gal, eh? I only suggested there because it's the most widely read venue.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2012 :  06:20:56  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm just curious, Erik - and ye needn't answer of course - but which of the books ye've written is best known or had strongest sales?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2012 :  06:36:42  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hard to say, really. Each book I put out builds on the previous one, which is natural and a good sign. Possibly GHOSTWALKER--it's an accomplishment to be six years in print and still selling well.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2012 :  06:58:03  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll happily drop your name on a book review. Why, I might even try it out on social occasions ("Reservation for who? Ah, I'm Erik Scott de Bie, the famous author") ... I just hope people don't comment that they'd always imagined ESdB would be taller.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2012 :  20:09:46  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Mmm, not the darkenss," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there."--Lol. Wow, Erik. Thank you so much for including that little bit in Shadowbane.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2012 :  20:12:37  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What can I say? I'm a comedian.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2012 :  18:46:00  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Erik, as promised here's my review of Ghostwalker.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary Jones
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
148 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2012 :  17:21:39  Show Profile  Visit Rosemary Jones's Homepage Send Rosemary Jones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

What can I say? I'm a comedian.

Cheers

For those of you who have not met the tall guy in person, I can state that he's speaking the absolute truth here. He's also a terrific performer, so don't miss his readings at bookstores, coffeshops, or Gen Con.

If you have the time and inclination, check his podcasts as a high-powered technosavant superhero Stardust. More on his alter ego here: http://www.timidpirate.com/2011/10/19/author-interview-erik-scott-de-bie/

I'm lobbying Wizards for you to make podcasts of some of your Realms stories.

Now going back to lurking mode....

Rosemary Jones
www.rosemaryjones.com
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2012 :  20:17:18  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey all,

I just thought you might like these: http://erikscottdebie.com/2012/02/02/heroes-of-downshadow/

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2012 :  17:35:36  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Erik,

Was Rath originally intended to be a Monk of the Long Death? I am just asking because his overall demeanor seemed to fit well within their mind set. Also, will we ever find out if Kalen actually killed him or not at the end of Downshadow (a negative response is fine); in Shadowbane we have conflicting accounts from Myrin and Kalen as to what exactly occurred.

--Hawkins

P.S. Loved your books so far. I never know what to say in a review though. Any tips? (Other than, "Erik is awesome and you should buy and read his novels!" Which is totally true.)

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2012 :  20:04:59  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In honor of Valentine's Day, here's a short bonus non-canonical Shadowbane story--what basically amounts to, if you ask Fayne, "Kalen/Myrin slash fiction." :)

http://erikscottdebie.com/2012/02/14/shadowbane-side-story-really-dont-do-that/

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2012 :  21:05:32  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
About Fayne.

It's such a Payne

in the Rayne

So she hates Lady Ilira Nathalan so much for the death of her mother that much.

Has she realized yet that she has become what she hates the most???

and what will she do when she realizes this???

Oh Erevan Ilesere you are a nasty jester.... hahahahahahaha

a short tale of her at a bar talking with a complete stranger about this would be funny to read.
could see it now FAyne storming out of the bar cursing her head off with enough words to make a sailor blush

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2012 :  21:59:23  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Part of imitating Ilira is intentional--beating her at her own game, as it were. And part of it is being the daughter of Lilten. And part of it's just crazy fun.

But yes, the irony is intentional on my part!

And yes, I definitely agree. A story about her would be pretty awesome to write. One day!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2012 :  22:17:55  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
how about a ddi article today....
I would glady pay you tuesday for a Fayne Article today.....

I'm glad I'm not that old...... but I'm old enough dor the reruns..... and thats if the origin of the original comment is found...

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2012 :  22:58:14  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hrast it, SFD. Now you've got me all writey and stuff.

Sigh.

[goes off to write Fayne story]

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

vallon
Acolyte

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2012 :  15:35:28  Show Profile Send vallon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, Erik! Congrats to you(and everyone else involved)for the nomination of 'When the Hero Comes Home' for Best Anthology of 2011. Well done!
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2012 :  15:38:10  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vallon

Hi, Erik! Congrats to you(and everyone else involved)for the nomination of 'When the Hero Comes Home' for Best Anthology of 2011. Well done!

Thanks! It's an honor.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2012 :  17:49:06  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My congrats, too, Erik, but for those of us tuning in late, which particular award is the anthology up for? The Hugo nominations aren't out yet, are they?
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2012 :  18:10:33  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WHEN THE HERO COMES HOME, co-edited by Gabrielle Harbowy and Ed Greenwood is a finalist for ForeWord Book of the Year – Anthology.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Gabrielle_H
Acolyte

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2012 :  03:44:02  Show Profile  Visit Gabrielle_H's Homepage Send Gabrielle_H a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

My congrats, too, Erik, but for those of us tuning in late, which particular award is the anthology up for? The Hugo nominations aren't out yet, are they?

If only HERO were up for a Hugo! :)

Hold on...must daydream just a bit longer...

ForeWord Book of the Year, Anthology Category. It's an award for excellence in small and independent presses. Novels by HERO contributors Marie Bilodeau and J.P. Moore have been past winners, and this year the latest volume in contributor Chris Jackson's "Scimitar Seas" series is up for Best Fantasy (having won the gold in that category the last two years).

Gabrielle Harbowy, scribe and editrix
http://www.gabrielle-edits.com
twitter: @gabrielle_h
Go to Top of Page

Shadowjim
Acolyte

Greece
1 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2012 :  11:10:26  Show Profile  Visit Shadowjim's Homepage Send Shadowjim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sage Eric, sir

Recently the Neverwinter campaign guide fall in my hands. It's cover showes a grand bridge. Where does this bridge lies? Inside or outside of Neverwinter? Can you also give me some info of the harpers during this period? Where are their HQ? Who are their leaders now?
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2012 :  16:23:53  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met, Shadowjim,

The cover of the NWCS takes some artistic liberties, as covers tend to do, but I believe the bridge depicted is one of the bridges that connects the Protector's Enclave to Blacklake, where you'll find Castle Never (depicted in the background). This would, I believe, be the Sleeping Dragon bridge, which is the western-most bridge inside Neverwinter (closest to the docks). It was carved in olden times to resemble a sleeping dragon. Much of this carving has been lost in the last century, replaced by a more functional, utilitarian bridge, but there's a movement in the city to replicate/recreate the original carving.

See this document here for a little more information: http://www.wizardsofthecoast-digital.com/wizardsofthecoast/neverwinter_saga?pg=24#pg1

About the Harpers: the organization exists in the 1480s, but it is more secretive than before. Or, at least, we know less about it than we did in the past. The Harpers in the North are based out of Everlund, where they devote their efforts to stemming the tide of aggressive political/espionage actions by the dark powers in the world, particularly (but not only) the Shades of Netheril. As of old, there are numerous potent individuals in the Realms today who have ties to the organization, including at least one of my novel characters (Lady Ilira Nathalan).

I don't want to go too much into the lore about the current structure and activities of the larger Harper organization, as it would be a shame of me to contradict something else that may or may not be being written about the Harpers as we speak. So let's leave it at NDA there.

Locally, the Harpers took an interest in Neverwinter as a bulwark to check the imperialist tendencies of Lord Dagult Neverember. Until recently, they were led in the city by a hardened spy called Cymril, who befell a treacherous assassination (or possibly faked her own death. The organization is run by Toram and Theryis out of the House of a Thousand Faces tavern in Blacklake, which was--fun fact--originally part of the Nathalan Menagerie chain of fashion boutiques (those who've read Downshadow might know what I'm talking about). See NWCS p 24 (Harper Agent background), p 119 (the Harpers section), and p 156 (House of a Thousand Faces).

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2012 :  17:11:48  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the link to the digital stuff, Erik. I liked the pronunciation guide in particular.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2012 :  04:11:52  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just dropping by to observe that the cover for Shadowbane: Eye of Justice has appeared in the ether.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Product.aspx?x=dnd/products/frnovel/49806000

Not sure if this is the final cover, but it fits the preliminary art I've seen.

And who is that leather-bound beauty with the deadly steel on the cover, I wonder?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2012 :  05:39:49  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Congrats Erik. Amazon hasn't gotten the art yet it seems so I'll wait till then for an image that can be enlarged to get a better look at the cover.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2012 :  06:19:34  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, the resolution isn't great. We'll get a better one eventually.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2012 :  14:07:13  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Morda level 14 NPC Lurker
Hey Erik, I took a look at the statblock for your Priestess of Shar. Really liked it. In fact, I think i will borrow her stat block from you to use in my home campaign (the PCs just hit level 14 and are in the Shadowfell in the village of Fellwroth, about to head to Kazzak'Tul to eventually face Urag - who I happened to flavor as being the "not-quite-dead" Ogre King (from the Barrow of the Ogre King adventure in the FRCG) and Netheril is the major protagonist in the campaign so I'll just re-flavor her, maybe as a native of Fellwroth - the part of her thirsting for extreme experiences fits with the Shadar-Kai of Fellwroth being risk takers who like to try their luck in the Darkreach Mountains - maybe she could be the one possible guide they find to lead them through the mouontains...leading them into a trap...).
Anyways yeah looks good, some pretty badass abilities that fit for a Priestess of Shar.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2012 :  14:46:15  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glad you like it, Alisttair--feel free to steal it!

If you run her as a monster, you should probably ignore her healing abilities, as that will just prolong a fight. That's more useful as a support mechanism for the PCs. Without the healing word and second wind-esque ability, she's pretty much just a lurker.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 53 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000