Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Erik Scott de Bie
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 53

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2011 :  20:47:27  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Funny you should mention music, as the FR Authors Bookclub is specifically about that: http://community.wizards.com/bookclub/blog/2011/03/21/fr_authors_speak:_rock_out_with_your_pen_out

quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

P.S. Your the expert on how Goliaths and Elves relate as well
They get on famously, in some cases.

Oh and be not afraid that that particular story has gone the way of the dodo. There was some about it in Downshadow, but there will be more specifically in the novel I'm starting . . . today, as it happens!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2011 :  20:55:28  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Funny you should mention music, as the FR Authors Bookclub is specifically about that: http://community.wizards.com/bookclub/blog/2011/03/21/fr_authors_speak:_rock_out_with_your_pen_out

quote:

P.S. Your the expert on how Goliaths and Elves relate as well
They get on famously, in some cases.

Oh and be not afraid that that particular story has gone the way of the dodo. There was some about it in Downshadow, but there will be more specifically in the novel I'm starting . . . today, as it happens!

Cheers

your a shameless, shameless tease.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2011 :  21:07:38  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

your a shameless, shameless tease.
Not sorry in the least.

Yours shamelessly,
Erik

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2011 :  22:17:46  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
A Perfect Circle, Disturbed, Gaslight Anthem, Linkin Park, Tool. When I’m writing fight scenes, that’s what I put on.

You sir, have impeccable taste in music. The new Tool album is due this year or the next. Awesomeness will commence.
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2011 :  22:41:47  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maynard is GOD!!!!

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2011 :  22:50:13  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Elfinblade: Why thank you, and many times yay.

@Fellfire: I can't really argue with logic like that.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2011 :  23:03:26  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've got a question for you, sir. What is your favorite TOOL album and why?

Venomous voice. Tempts me, drains me, bleeds me, leaves me cracked and empty. Drags me down like some sweet gravity.

H.-TOOL

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Edited by - Fellfire on 21 Mar 2011 23:39:33
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2011 :  00:01:54  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know, I'm only really pretty familiar with Lateralus and 10,000 Days, and of those two, I think I prefer 10,000 Days, as I absolutely love the story it tells.

My favorite lyric is this:

You're the only one who can hold your head up high,
Shake your fists at the gates saying:
"I've come home now!
Fetch me the spirit, the son, and the father.
Tell them their pillar of faith has ascended.
It's time now!
My time now!
Give me my, give me my wings!"

Gives me chills.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2011 :  00:10:26  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A very good choice. They are all good. Of them all, Lateralus is my least favorite. You should give Undertow a thorough listen. It is a lot harder and got me through some very rough times. Aenima was their biggest commercial success for good reason. Get Salival, the box set, too. Wings for Marie is probably my favorite from 10,000 Days, but Right in Two is arguably a better song.

Anyway, thanks for the off-topic reply. I believe I asked this before, but don't recall reading an answer. You had mentioned writing something about Neveren's Betrayal, will we have to wait for your next full-length novel to get the skinny on this goblin-sticker?

Misanthorpe

Edited by - Fellfire on 22 Mar 2011 00:32:06
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2011 :  00:37:28  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Undertow is great.

Sober is the best song on it and has a lyric that suits Fox at Twilight's patron:

I am just a worthless liar.
I am just an imbecile.
I will only complicate you.
Trust in me and fall as well.
I will find a center in you.
I will chew it up and leave,
I will work to elevate you
just enough to bring you down.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2011 :  00:50:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by althen artren

So Erik, if I wanted to ask you something, what would
be your Realms area of expertise?
Good question, Althen. I know what places of the Realms I particularly *like* and which ones I know more about than others, but I've never thought about it in quite those terms.

I'll turn that question back on my readers--based on my work, what would YOU call my Realms area of expertise? (i.e. where do you think I've best captured the feel and lore of a place?)

Most of my fiction/design stuff has taken place in the North/Savage Frontier (Waterdeep, Silver Marches, Neverwinter, Luskan, etc.) and the Dragon Coast (Westgate, Elversult, etc.) regions.

Cheers

Hmmm, that's an interesting question. For the most part, I'd say RW has covered it rather well.

Additionally, I'd simply add that your love of characters who challenge traditional conceptions in the Realms, is another area of expertise that has become almost wholly your own.

Your utilisation of extensive Realmslore, and the desire to make new and intriguing connections between the various peoples, places, etc., is something I've come to greatly appreciate in your works. And it's evident in practically everything you've written for the Realms.

As for an actual location in the Realms, well... I'd have to say whatever area is currently fortunate enough to receive attention in your work. You bring such a level of focus, knowledge, and creativity to what you're writing about, that I feel confident enough to say that your work demonstrates that you're entirely capable of making any and all places in the Realms, as "your area of expertise."

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2011 :  01:04:58  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

Right in Two is arguably a better song.
OMG, that song . . . so smart, so dead-on, it's scary.

Thanks for the suggestions. I need to get a copy of Undertow, I think . . .

quote:
You had mentioned writing something about Neveren's Betrayal, will we have to wait for your next full-length novel to get the skinny on this goblin-sticker?
Ah--I seem to recall something like that. Well, we'll see.

Keep your eyes peeled (except not literally, because ouch!). And you know me--I will inevitably shamelessly mention it here.

quote:

Sober is the best song on it and has a lyric that suits Fox at Twilight's patron:

I am just an imbecile.
Indeed. And see, he could tell you that straight-out to your face, and it wouldn't make a lick of difference. (It certainly didn't in her case!)

I want to make something clear so that no one is expecting the wrong thing: the adventurer known as the Fox-at-Twilight (or Lady Ilira, as she passes these days) does not have a major role in my next novel, Shadowbane. She is mentioned, but don't expect her to appear--plenty to see, however, and I still highly recommend the book.

(I also said nothing about any old acquaintances of hers . . . or a certain sword . . .)

Now. As far as the subsequent novel, on the other hand, which I am working on as of today . . . Well, if you're a fan of our shadowdancing swashbuckler, you CANNOT MISS this one.

(And now, to get back to the writing, so that I don't let anyone down after the hype!)

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2011 :  01:12:06  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

Right in Two is arguably a better song.
OMG, that song . . . so smart, so dead-on, it's scary.

Thanks for the suggestions. I need to get a copy of Undertow, I think . . .

quote:
You had mentioned writing something about Neveren's Betrayal, will we have to wait for your next full-length novel to get the skinny on this goblin-sticker?
Ah--I seem to recall something like that. Well, we'll see.

Keep your eyes peeled (except not literally, because ouch!). And you know me--I will inevitably shamelessly mention it here.

quote:

I am just an imbecile.
Indeed. And see, he could tell you that straight-out to your face, and it wouldn't make a lick of difference. (It certainly didn't in her case!)

I want to make something clear so that no one is expecting the wrong thing: the adventurer known as the Fox-at-Twilight (or Lady Ilira, as she passes these days) does not have a major role in my next novel, Shadowbane. She is mentioned, but don't expect her to appear--plenty to see, however, and I still highly recommend the book.

(I also said nothing about any old acquaintances of hers . . . or a certain sword . . .)

Now. As far as the subsequent novel, on the other hand, which I am working on as of today . . . Well, if you're a fan of our shadowdancing swashbuckler, you CANNOT MISS this one.

(And now, to get back to the writing, so that I don't let anyone down after the hype!)

Cheers

Ok, ok enough already! My head hurts

Is the new novel the follow to upcoming Shadowbane...or is it something else?

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2011 :  01:14:35  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It is indeed a follow-up. I believe the plan is, I keep writing about these characters as long as they keep selling.

(Which is not to say that I'm not going to kill some of them from time to time. I'm just cruel like that!)

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2011 :  01:44:56  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wicked tricksy he is, Precious. gollum, gollum

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2011 :  01:47:04  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

It is indeed a follow-up. I believe the plan is, I keep writing about these characters as long as they keep selling.

(Which is not to say that I'm not going to kill some of them from time to time. I'm just cruel like that!)

Cheers

I assumed, but was hoping you were launching another series

And as long as they keep selling?

Thanks for the pressure!

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2011 :  01:52:34  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Funny you should mention that . . . well, can't say anything definitive just now. More later!

quote:
And as long as they keep selling?
Thanks for the pressure!
Hey, you're welcome.

There's only so much any of us can do--author, designer, reader, etc. It's a symbiotic relationship, and only by working together do we keep breathing life into that setting we all love.

Which is not, of course, to say that you should feel any pressure to buy my books and support me. But you should keep reading the Realms, because that helps authors such as myself keep trying to please you in a literary way.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2011 :  03:32:28  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Funny you should mention that . . . well, can't say anything definitive just now. More later!

Well, if you ot the chance to do new trilogy or some such, would your goal be to have it set in the realms? Or one of your original work in progress?

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2011 :  16:24:26  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The series I am none-too-subtly alluding to would be one of my own non-FR works in progress. No promises, but I'm hopeful.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2011 :  01:49:26  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The series I am none-too-subtly alluding to would be one of my own non-FR works in progress. No promises, but I'm hopeful.

Cheers

I was hoping so. Good Luck

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2011 :  02:27:26  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Erik, any advice on how to break in with an entirely new setting? I love the Realms, but don't really have any stories for it (at least not ATM). But I'd LOVE to introduce folks to the world I've been using as my sandbox for several years now, if I could just get it out there.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2011 :  03:55:52  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alystra,

Well what you really have to do is write the book, then publish it. As to *how* to do that . . . honestly, everyone's path to publication is different. I think for the most part, getting published is a crapshoot--you've got to keep trying until you get lucky. I can only give a few general guidelines that are helpful to keep in mind:

1) Be the writer: None of this fledgling/aspiring writer crap. If you write, you ARE a writer--it's just a matter of how many publishing credits you have, and you're in the business of getting more. It's obvious why you're a writer: you write because you can, because you like to, and because you HAVE to. If those three reasons aren't there for you, then you're in the wrong business, because writing will break your heart a thousand ways to Sunday. You've got to keep trying, keep believing in yourself, and keep working at it. Because eventually you'll figure it out.

2) Be irresistible: Be a nice, respectful person. Socialize and interact with people. Go on panels. Publish lots of short stories. GET KNOWN. Your writing talent carries you a certain distance, but your facility with communication and with socializing carries you farther. Be respectful to agents, and follow their guidelines to the letter.

3) Be unstoppable: You will run into a lot of rejection, and a lot of just "ignored" results. Push past that urge to give up. Follow your instincts. Don't be afraid to make mistakes, because you then get the chance to learn from them. Think unstoppable juggernaut: Keep pushing. Keep writing. Keep going.

I've also posted a guide to writing and publishing your book, which might be helpful as well: http://eriksdb.livejournal.com/218027.html

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2011 :  04:32:24  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I've got the first part down- I write because I can't NOT write. I guess what I'm really asking is how I would break in with a D&D related setting specifically. Any advice based on how you did it? Did you already have something out when you first got into FR? And did you approach WotC first, or did they come to you? Things like this are what I'm interested in. I have several tales already in various stages of progress- one about two-thirds, one nearly finished, and three more started- so how would someone get into that market specifically?

Also, would you recommend using an agent? Why or why not?

Incidentally, I've looked into self-publishing, and it doesn't seem cost-effective for someone just starting who doesn't have the income to spare on expensive packages. How would you recommend submitting something to WotC or Paizo?

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2011 :  05:56:41  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have no particular tricks as to how you would go about breaking into WotC. I did it through a blind submission and through the Maiden of Pain open call back in 2003 (or whatever year that was)--I don't think WotC is actively looking for new authors, but you never know.

They do have writer's guidelines: http://wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/writersguidelines

Basically what I sent to them was a 10 page sample and a cover letter, though they want something more than that these days.

As for an agent . . . an agent can open lots of doors for you, but one can be hard to acquire. Myself, I just signed an agent this last year, and I sold my first novel in 2003. That was through WotC, however, which didn't require an agent. It's probably a better bet than navigating the various slush piles at publishing houses.

Here's my suggestion: pick whichever of those novel works in progress you like the best--the one that's most true to who you are as a writer--and finish it. Then get yourself a copy of the Novel and Short Story Writer's Market 2011 (or 2012, if it's out yet) and start picking out agents and publishers to submit to. Formulate a really killer cover letter (here's a good guide from my own agent, Andy Zack: http://www.zackcompany.com/images/stories/theperfectpitch.pdf). Try both agents and publishers. And good luck!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2011 :  05:54:07  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks! That's a big help.

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2011 :  19:33:53  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shadowbane announcement:

The cover art for my next FR novel is up, as is a product description and some notes from me about where the novel falls in the cosmology of FR, as well as some of my influences going into it.

Shadowbane at Amazon

(And maybe preorder it while you're there? I mean, it's just so gosh-darn convenient. )

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 11 Apr 2011 21:08:26
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2011 :  20:37:53  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
psge not found well atleast thats what my browser said.
must be something wrong with the link

Shadowbane for godhood ...... the next Helm...... must preorder.......

http://www.amazon.com/Shadowbane-Forgotten-Erik-Scott-Bie/dp/0786958553/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1302550698&sr=8-1

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234

Edited by - sfdragon on 11 Apr 2011 20:40:37
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2011 :  20:45:59  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You mean Shadowbane at Amazon?

Someday this site will join the rest of the 21st century.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2011 :  21:08:00  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

That's the one! Pardon me while I borrow this here link.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2011 :  00:14:49  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

that will happen when Candlekeep sees the liught of Amuanator and shines in his light.
then Ogmha will smile and grant his blessings tp the site.

and then those who commits viles acts will hide in fear as Shadowbane takes his place as the patron of vigilantes.

btw ERik, have any FR plans after shadowbane??

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 53 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000