Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Erik Scott de Bie
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 53

jornan
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2011 :  17:39:53  Show Profile Send jornan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric, I have a couple questions regarding Shadowbane and it's inclusion in the Abyssal Plague lineup.

How big of a role is the Abyssal Plague going to play in Shadowbane?

In the back of RAS Collected Stories it is the 5th book. Do events in the books that preceed it significantly affect it?

Are there common characters, items, gods, etc that link all books and all worlds?

How necessary is it to read the non FR books in the lineup?

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2011 :  23:25:42  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great question, jornan!

Shadowbane is indeed tied-in to the Abyssal Plague story, but it's mostly its own story. If you've read Downshadow, it's Kalen's continuing story, with quite a bit of Myrin involved. (Also if you haven't read Downshadow, you should be able to pick this up just fine.)

As I understand it, an event in Bruce Cordell's Sword of the Gods (also a FR novel) sets some of the groundwork, but I don't think reading it will be necessary (though you absolutely should, just because it's another FR novel and bound to be awesome). If you've read it, you will probably get a little more insight into a couple parts of my book.

Generally, if you *have* read the other Abyssal Plague stories, you'll pick up on a little more of "what's going on," but if you *haven't,* I don't think it'll interfere with your understanding or enjoyment of the book at all.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2011 :  16:54:39  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ick.... and I was trying to avoid the abyssal plague eries...

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2011 :  18:46:24  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

ick.... and I was trying to avoid the abyssal plague eries...

Why? Just because they're trying something setting-spanning doesn't mean it's automatically a bad idea. They could be very good!

And rest assured, you don't need to have read the other AP books to read and enjoy Shadowbane.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2011 :  03:30:14  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
doesnt mean it will be an automatically a good idea either.......

and plus, it has the word plague in it, and the last plague anything dnd, didn't exaclty fly off the wall either all that well and if I was to be asked, it got crushed by the infamous black widow company....

dont mind me, I'm a pessimeist.

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit

Edited by - sfdragon on 14 Feb 2011 03:32:03
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2011 :  06:04:46  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will second that....

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2011 :  14:59:37  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would advocate the wait-and-see approach. Maybe it'll be good, maybe it won't--but there's no sense condemning it straight off the bat because the name sounds like something you dislike.

I mean, might as well never read another novel about Twilight . . . unless of course you love Meyer's work, in which case I apologize.

And even if you *do* loathe the Abyssal Plague stuff, rest assured my novel will not rely upon it for your enjoyment.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 14 Feb 2011 15:01:56
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2011 :  16:32:36  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

I would advocate the wait-and-see approach. Maybe it'll be good, maybe it won't--but there's no sense condemning it straight off the bat because the name sounds like something you dislike.

I mean, might as well never read another novel about Twilight . . . unless of course you love Meyer's work, in which case I apologize.

And even if you *do* loathe the Abyssal Plague stuff, rest assured my novel will not rely upon it for your enjoyment.

Cheers

I wait and see what people think about before buying in(and then it would only be your book, solely based on my prior enjoyment of your novels...call me stuborn if you will, but I decided when I read the first blurb about the abbysal plague(it gaves me night-terrors of Kender and War-Forged running amok in the realms), it wasn't for me. And that's ok too. What makes no sense too one, makes perfect sense to another. It makes about as much sense to buy a novel, just for the author or setting. I used to buy anything with FR on the front, but have learned to judge each novel or series on its own, as there is only so much $ I can spend on novels. I like almost anything RA has done(especially theunder-rated spearweildernovels), but buying Gauntlgrym just because it is RA(or any novelby any author( doesn't fly for me anymore.

And if it's tied into a Cordell/Cthulu novel in any way, thats another strike against it for me. Im sure there are those that love his work, and thats great too. None of them feels "realmsian" to me....and probably do seem so to others. Personally I only enjoyed them after framing in my mind that they weren't set in the realms.

But since I am assuming (dangerous I know!) you didnt go in and pitch Shadowbane as the perfect abbysal plague tie-in, I will give you a fair shake..(way more in fact)when deciding if I pick-up Shadowbane. There more to his story I want to know, enough so I cant imagine you having so much of the Abby Plague thing to tip the scales.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2011 :  17:39:21  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't want to play up the tie to the Abyssal Plague or Bruce's previous novel except to say that some of the things in that story have something to do with some of the things in my novel. Or something.

But it isn't *essential*, you know?

It's like one of my companion stories: you *can* read it, and it will give you a slightly enriched understanding of the novel, but you don't *have to* read it.

quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

But since I am assuming (dangerous I know!) you didnt go in and pitch Shadowbane as the perfect abbysal plague tie-in, I will give you a fair shake..(way more in fact)when deciding if I pick-up Shadowbane. There more to his story I want to know, enough so I cant imagine you having so much of the Abby Plague thing to tip the scales.
Let me level with you on how that all went down.

WotC wanted me to write another novel (two in fact) about Shadowbane, but they wanted to tie the first of those two (not the second one) into this "big event" they were doing. I didn't know anything about the AP (had never even heard the name) until I went in to the meeting, at which point I listened to what they were saying and determined where Shadowbane's story could best tie into it. What we determined was one commandment: to use this particular AP villain (and he/she/it is not the ONLY villain in the novel, or even really the central one). Otherwise, the novel is about 85% purely my own story.

I would rate the level of tie-in at *maybe* about what you'd expect of the Harper tie-in in a Harpers novel.

Similar to Downshadow's tie to the Waterdeep series, there are two completely valid ways to read the novel: as an Abyssal Plague story (in which case it's probably good to know about the overall AP), or as a straight-Shadowbane story (in which case you don't need to know about the Abyssal Plague at all).

At this point, the NEXT Shadowbane novel (which currently exists in outline form and has no working title for public disclosure) has nothing to do with the Abyssal Plague.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 14 Feb 2011 17:42:13
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2011 :  19:29:14  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"It makes about as much sense to buy a novel, just for the author or setting. I used to buy anything with FR on the front, but have learned to judge each novel or series on its own, as there is only so much $ I can spend on novels. I like almost anything RA has done(especially the under-rated spearweildernovels), but buying Gauntlgrym just because it is RA(or any novel by any author( doesn't fly for me anymore."

I have similar feelings. My current budget being what it is, I have to rely on my local library to get books before I read them, and I'm not going to waste time on a book that doesn't even strike my interest when I read the blurb on the cover or hear about it from others. I can find plenty of others to read that will probably interest me more. Mostly, I'm tired of plague-this and plague-that in FR books. I want actual stories, not just big event tie-ins. I want stories that are character-driven, not plot or event-driven. And I've seen so few of those since the 4th ed turnover that it's gotten to the point where I'm only reading the books that have my favorite characters. Because at least I know that even if the plot is sub-par, I can still find something to enjoy in them through the characters involved. The new era books are going to have to get a LOT better and more interesting before I will start picking up random ones again like I used to.

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2011 :  19:39:33  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For what it's worth, I've found most of the 4E era Realms novels I've read to be what you're describing--character driven instead of event driven. Sure, they all come after a big event (albeit almost a century gone from it, so long after), but of themselves they seem to mainly focus on individuals and small groups facing problems particular to them and their friends and neighbors in heroic ways. Did you read Jaleigh's Mistshore, for example?
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2011 :  19:54:19  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I read that one, and my copy is floating around here somewhere.
it read like a whodunnit mystery.
wasnt bad, a good ead, but I was throuwn off becuase of the whodunnit factor.

:it was the old man, in the yard with a book.

btw: Downshadow was much more fun..... almost as good as depths of madness

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit

Edited by - sfdragon on 14 Feb 2011 19:55:02
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2011 :  20:21:06  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Christopher_Rowe

For what it's worth, I've found most of the 4E era Realms novels I've read to be what you're describing--character driven instead of event driven. Sure, they all come after a big event (albeit almost a century gone from it, so long after), but of themselves they seem to mainly focus on individuals and small groups facing problems particular to them and their friends and neighbors in heroic ways. Did you read Jaleigh's Mistshore, for example?

I did, and I LOVE me some Jaliegh...shes great, I can't say enough....tells great stories, full characters....and most importantly (to me anyways) fully feels engaged and steeped in the realms. (just like friend ESDB)

And she is as funny as Erik is tall

Edited by - The Red Walker on 14 Feb 2011 20:23:03
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2011 :  20:24:48  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I don't want to play up the tie to the Abyssal Plague or Bruce's previous novel except to say that some of the things in that story have something to do with some of the things in my novel. Or something.

But it isn't *essential*, you know?

It's like one of my companion stories: you *can* read it, and it will give you a slightly enriched understanding of the novel, but you don't *have to* read it.

quote:

Let me level with you on how that all went down.

WotC wanted me to write another novel (two in fact) about Shadowbane, but they wanted to tie the first of those two (not the second one) into this "big event" they were doing. I didn't know anything about the AP (had never even heard the name) until I went in to the meeting, at which point I listened to what they were saying and determined where Shadowbane's story could best tie into it. What we determined was one commandment: to use this particular AP villain (and he/she/it is not the ONLY villain in the novel, or even really the central one). Otherwise, the novel is about 85% purely my own story.

I would rate the level of tie-in at *maybe* about what you'd expect of the Harper tie-in in a Harpers novel.

Similar to Downshadow's tie to the Waterdeep series, there are two completely valid ways to read the novel: as an Abyssal Plague story (in which case it's probably good to know about the overall AP), or as a straight-Shadowbane story (in which case you don't need to know about the Abyssal Plague at all).

At this point, the NEXT Shadowbane novel (which currently exists in outline form and has no working title for public disclosure) has nothing to do with the Abyssal Plague.

Cheers

That was how I assumed it went down, thanks for sharing.

So 85% Erik vs. 15% tie in......that ratio seems to be in your favor

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2011 :  20:25:22  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

I want actual stories, not just big event tie-ins. I want stories that are character-driven, not plot or event-driven. And I've seen so few of those since the 4th ed turnover that it's gotten to the point where I'm only reading the books that have my favorite characters. Because at least I know that even if the plot is sub-par, I can still find something to enjoy in them through the characters involved. The new era books are going to have to get a LOT better and more interesting before I will start picking up random ones again like I used to.
I'm going to echo Mr. Rowe here--that makes it sound like you haven't been reading the same 4e FR books I have. Which is tough, 'cuz there aren't that many. Perhaps you could tell me which ones you *have* read, and then I'd have a frame of reference?

Anyway, you should really consider picking up Blackstaff Tower, Mistshore, City of the Dead, Unbroken Chain, God Catcher, and yes, even Downshadow. All of them character-driven stories, none of them Realms-shaking, all of them books I would recommend in a heartbeat. God Catcher *especially*, which I'm reading right now, is MONSTROUSLY character-driven: it's the story of a twenty-something girl trying to make her own way in Waterdeep, and she happens to meet someone who may or may not be a dragon cursed into a human body. (Seriously. Read it.)

I absolutely sympathize with being choosy, for any and all reasons. Life is too short, wallet's too light, etc. But I'm not sure where you're getting your information, as your seeming opinion (that 4e FR novels are all big, bombastic, and bad) doesn't seem founded in the facts of the scope of a great many of these books.

And sure, the Spellplague is a thing, but as far as I can see, it's pretty much interchangeable with magic of any sort. AFAIK, at this point no one is doing anything major with the Spellplague . . . well except me, I guess, but even my thing isn't *major*. I just happen to have main characters who are spellscarred, and basically it's just a curse that they have to deal with (which is stock and trade of any fantasy story).

Lastly, I respect your opinion on the whole "have to get a LOT better and more interesting" thing, and respectfully disagree. I think the quality of writing in the Realms continues to rise, among the new authors and the old authors both. Writers just get better over time, and I am WAY looking forward to Serpent's Daughter and Godborn in particular.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2011 :  20:26:02  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, as I said, I have to wait until the library here gets them- which is basically almost never, from their current selection. They also work through consortium, which means that even if a book is on their list, the odds that it will become available are slim. So I've become very selective in which books I request, and only ask for the ones that actually involve characters and/or locations that I already enjoy. I never had any interest in Thay or its wizards even BEFORE it became a blasted waste thanks to Szass Tam, sot I've even less interest in them now. I also don't care about aboleths- barely ever even used them in my games- so that series was out, too. Overall, I've just found less in the post-Spellplague era to actually want to read about, regardless of whatever else is in it.

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2011 :  20:27:28  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Plus it's Batman: No Man's Land meets Gang of New York in Luskan. I mean, what else can you possibly want?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2011 :  20:33:48  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, I see. If you judge the 4e FR by just the Haunted Lands and aboleths trilogies, it can certainly look like that's what's empathized. If you look at the whole spectrum, however, you see that it varies wildly.

quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

So I've become very selective in which books I request, and only ask for the ones that actually involve characters and/or locations that I already enjoy. I never had any interest in Thay or its wizards even BEFORE it became a blasted waste thanks to Szass Tam, sot I've even less interest in them now. I also don't care about aboleths- barely ever even used them in my games- so that series was out, too. Overall, I've just found less in the post-Spellplague era to actually want to read about, regardless of whatever else is in it.

I'm going to second my recommendation of the Eddie Presents Waterdeep series. In fact, there's an omnibus version which has the first three books (Blackstaff Tower, Mistshore, and Downshadow) coming out this summer, so give that a consideration.

On your last point, what do you think about:

1) Westgate?
2) Night Masks?
3) Vigilante Paladins?

Because if you're a fan of at least one of those, then have I got a (hopefully) trilogy for you. It's just gonna take a while to write and publish.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2011 :  20:50:57  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, to answer your earlire question, so far the only Spellplague and beyond er books I've actually had a chance to read were the Lady Penitent books (just prior) and Ghost king and Elminster Must Die. I did not enjoy the end of the LP books, and Ghost King also left me highly disappointed. EMD was good, though. Haven't been able to get Blackstaff Tower or the Last Mythal or anything else of recent vintage, so I have to go on hearsay at this point, and most of it just doesn't sound like my thing. Not to say any of it's bad, just not to my taste. The frustrating part is that even if it WAS something I might like, I can't get it anyway. So I try to focus on what I CAN get hold of, and then come here to see what others think of the ones I can't get, and at least get some info on what's in them.

Westgate, no, not really, though I'm anticipating the Neverwinter series, Night Masks are only interesting to me as a side thing if there is another group like the Harpers involved (which I understand are disbanded now, so- meh) and it would depend on who the paladins follow. Torm maybe, or Lathander perhaps, but Helm? No, not especially. Waterdeep might perk my interest, but again, it depends on who/what it's about

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2011 :  21:46:14  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like someone needs to hook you up with a shipment of recently published used FR books. Hmm . . .

The rumors of the Harpers' disbanding have been greatly exaggerated. The organization is still around, albeit possibly diminished from its previous state. Most of them focus on the big bad of Netheril, but there are agents all over doing all sorts of things. Pretty much the same old organization, albeit updated.

Well, the Waterdeep series has six books, all of which are written by different authors with different characters and storylines. Steve Schend's Blackstaff Tower talks about--as you might imagine--the Blackstaff and a group of young nobles who form a close bond. Mistshore is about a street-smart sorceress on the run from the watch. Downshadow (my book) is about a vigilante paladin, a fey'ri enchantress, a dwarf assassin, and a young woman with no memory but lots of magical power, all of whom end up crashing into each other through one means or another. City of the Dead is about the heiress to the graveyard-running Carver family and an outlander wizard stopping an undead incursion (excursion?). Circle of Skulls I haven't actually read (though I will eventually). And God Catcher is what I described above.

As for my books, it's only the one paladin, and he follows a sort of triad of deities: Tyr, Torm, and Helm. And seeing as two of those deities are long-since dead, that adds a level of cool complexity to it.

So you said Waterdeep MIGHT perk your interest, but otherwise you said you didn't care for a bunch of other stuff . . . what else about the Realms DOES draw your interest?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 14 Feb 2011 21:50:38
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2011 :  23:04:07  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

On your last point, what do you think about:

1) Westgate?
2) Night Masks?
3) Vigilante Paladins?

Because if you're a fan of at least one of those, then have I got a (hopefully) trilogy for you. It's just gonna take a while to write and publish.

Cheers

quote:
As for my books, it's only the one paladin, and he follows a sort of triad of deities: Tyr, Torm, and Helm. And seeing as two of those deities are long-since dead, that adds a level of cool complexity to it.

This sounds very interesting Erik. Would the (fingers-crossed) trilogy feature all of the three items you listed, or just the lone vigilante paladin?
When can you give us release dates?
If you havent started writing them yet i presume it would take at least a couple of years until the first one to be released?

Edited by - Elfinblade on 14 Feb 2011 23:06:28
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2011 :  23:31:33  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Elfinblade

This sounds very interesting Erik. Would the (fingers-crossed) trilogy feature all of the three items you listed, or just the lone vigilante paladin?
When can you give us release dates?
If you havent started writing them yet i presume it would take at least a couple of years until the first one to be released?

I can make no promises, except that I am currently contracted to write a novel which continues the Shadowbane story (Shadowbane being a vigilante paladin, who belongs to an order that was created *out of* the Night Masks) and I believe his path is eventually going to take him to Westgate. No teasers other than that. It's also only in the outline phase, so the finished product might vary wildly.

My next novel Shadowbane (which takes place in Luskan) is coming out in September--I'll have a better sense then.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2011 :  00:34:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Plus it's Batman: No Man's Land meets Gang of New York in Luskan. I mean, what else can you possibly want?

Cheers

Hmmm. Jokerville in the City of Sails... That could work!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2011 :  02:38:48  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sounds like someone needs to hook you up with a shipment of recently published used FR books. Hmm . . .

The rumors of the Harpers' disbanding have been greatly exaggerated. The organization is still around, albeit possibly diminished from its previous state. Most of them focus on the big bad of Netheril, but there are agents all over doing all sorts of things. Pretty much the same old organization, albeit updated.

Well, the Waterdeep series has six books, all of which are written by different authors with different characters and storylines. Steve Schend's Blackstaff Tower talks about--as you might imagine--the Blackstaff and a group of young nobles who form a close bond. Mistshore is about a street-smart sorceress on the run from the watch. Downshadow (my book) is about a vigilante paladin, a fey'ri enchantress, a dwarf assassin, and a young woman with no memory but lots of magical power, all of whom end up crashing into each other through one means or another. City of the Dead is about the heiress to the graveyard-running Carver family and an outlander wizard stopping an undead incursion (excursion?). Circle of Skulls I haven't actually read (though I will eventually). And God Catcher is what I described above.

So you said Waterdeep MIGHT perk your interest, but otherwise you said you didn't care for a bunch of other stuff . . . what else about the Realms DOES draw your interest?

Cheers

Ah, well in that case, hook me up!! Kidding. Seriously, though, the Waterdeep series sounds like it might be fun, and I have always liked the Realmsian version of the Big Apple and many of it's residents. I always like Khelban and Co., and Downshadow does indeed sound interesting (and frankly, sounds like my last campaign group, from what you just said, LOL!!) As far as the Harpers go, I do know that they are still "around", but there doesn't seem to be much focus on them ATM, so I'm not holding my breath for any books about them. But if someone DID happen to write a new tale....

Hrm, to answer your questions, my FR tastes run to Elmisnter, Drizzt (well, anything with drow), all things elfy, and of course Harpers and Chosen in all their many shapes and sizes. I also loved the duos of Jarlaxle and Entreri and now Jar and Athrogate. I've read several of the "Realms of" books, and actually enjoyed the Year of Rogue Dragons trilogy immensely. Yes, I love dragons however I can get them, too. Ah, and there was the Avatar series, which was also very good, IMO. To tell the truth, my FR library is rather small considering the number of books that have been done, but I have read most of them more than once. Have not read any of the Shade books, or the Cale series, but that's mostly because I never got around to them, and am now in a very book-dry area....

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2011 :  03:34:00  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, right there. You need the Erevis Cale series. For serious!

And as for the Harpers . . . well, the forthcoming Neverwinter Campaign Guide *might* contain a little something about them.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2011 :  04:19:06  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If my budget will allow for it, I may pick that up. And I am also looking forward to Elaine's Serpent's Daughter when it comes out. I've loved all of her books, especially the Liriel trilogy and Evermeet. (It's the elves, y'know...) I do plan to get to Cale eventually, but it's just not high on my list ATM. Not so sure about the Shade books.

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2011 :  04:23:09  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, Cale is serious quality. If you get the opportunity, you might try it out.

You must be in some isolated place in the U.S., eh? To have that limited selection. I mean, budget being what it is, but if your library is lacking a little in stock?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2011 :  05:23:54  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sort of stuck in a VERY small town in Texas, where the nearest bookstore is literally in the next county, and is at least a 45 minute drive. The library here is, shall we say, NOT incredibly well-stocked in things fantasy or sci-fi (unless it's Twilight or Steven King or Harry Potter) and the consortium takes weeks if not months to get something in. I'm STILL waiting on Gauntlegrym, and that's been out for nearly six months now. So, yeah.... The town I moved from was much better, because they were not on a consortium, and were pretty good about ordering books that people requested, and had a pretty good selection of fantasy novels, although not a lot of FR ones. They did at least have the Annotated Elminster, which I devoured when they acquired it, and they ordered the entire Lady Penitant and WotSQ series, mostly at my request. But it's been over a year since I moved here, and I have only had one chance to visit the nearest book store. Ended up with Ed's Dark Warrior Rising on that trip, along with a plethora of comics, which is my one major vice. Sadly, that was also the last time I read much of comics, and that was in July. And now the library here is talking about the state possibly cutting library funding statewide by as much as 99%. Yikes! Not a good place to live for a book-lover, needless to say. The last town I lived in also had a Hastings, Books-A-Million, and a Waldenbooks. And a comic shop. I REALLY miss that town now....

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2011 :  06:16:24  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hardly any bookstores or libraries, but probably a dozen gun shops.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2011 :  06:31:12  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Surprisingly, no. But there are at least half a dozen bondsmen..... And at least two tractor supply shops that I know of. Yup, i'm in Hicksville.

My stories:

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 53 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000