Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Erik Scott de Bie
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 64

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1776 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2005 :  21:01:58  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Erik: Did you see that your novel is solicited in the new issue of Previews? I always get a kick out of seeing my books listed in there.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2005 :  00:06:52  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had not noticed that. In fact, I don't believe I've heard of this "Previews" bit. Where might I find info?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Signature of Shameless Self-Promotion +6: Order my sixth novel, Shadow of the Winter King (Amazon, e-signing, Dragonmoon Press)

Also check out my Realms work, most recently Shadowbane: Eye of Justice, out now on e-readers everywhere! (Kindle, Nook)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30403 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2005 :  00:30:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

I had not noticed that. In fact, I don't believe I've heard of this "Previews" bit. Where might I find info?

Cheers

I believe he's referring to the big catalog comic and game stores get. A lot of them give or sell copies to their customers. It's like 400 pages, as I recall, and lists the stuff that's coming out in 3 months' time. It has comics, toys, DVDs, anime, collectibles, all sorts of stuff.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1776 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2005 :  04:24:38  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wooly's right. That's what I was referring to.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2005 :  21:11:27  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met, all assembled,

It's only November 23, but apparently, an old friend of mine managed to snag a copy of Ghostwalker yesterday (YESTERDAY!).

Apologies if it's a hoax, but I doubt it from the party mage. Hoaxes are more the party thief's style (party thief = ME).

So I guess that means that people MAY be able to find it. . . no guarantees. Just, if you're heading to the bookstore anyway, you might take a glance.

Cheers

Erik
Who is struggling to resist the urge to run out of the office in the middle of the day just to search bookstores ala the events surrounding RotD2.

Erik Scott de Bie

Signature of Shameless Self-Promotion +6: Order my sixth novel, Shadow of the Winter King (Amazon, e-signing, Dragonmoon Press)

Also check out my Realms work, most recently Shadowbane: Eye of Justice, out now on e-readers everywhere! (Kindle, Nook)
Go to Top of Page

Malarick
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2005 :  22:32:08  Show Profile Send Malarick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So I guess that means that people MAY be able to find it. . . no guarantees. Just, if you're heading to the bookstore anyway, you might take a glance.

And remember the place to discuss this novel will be in the Candlekeep book club! We will have the threads up for you in time for the December release, and this is one I am looking forward to.

I hope there will be plenty of you joining in the discussion through the month of December!

Malarick
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2005 :  23:03:06  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know that the Swedish internet bookstore I use (www.bokus.se) has it. I'll have to wait until January, though, as I found some books I thought was unavailable and don't dare to wait with buying - but I promise to get Ghostwalker once I have those.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2005 :  23:59:10  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Malarick

quote:

And remember the place to discuss this novel will be in the Candlekeep book club! We will have the threads up for you in time for the December release, and this is one I am looking forward to.

I hope there will be plenty of you joining in the discussion through the month of December!

Depends what gets discussed. I'd be more than happy to answer questions about anything and everything (I assure you, it all has an answer -- even the really mysterious stuff ). Also discussing the characters, plot events. . . The area I'll be a bit limited on will be reviews and critiques (stock answers being: "Oh, glad you enjoyed, then" and "Oh bother -- sorry you feel that way"). :)

And, of course, it depends on time. I'm under deadline to write Depths, after all -- by January, and I told my editor I'd be early. What a fool, eh?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

James P. Davis
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2005 :  01:56:09  Show Profile  Visit James P. Davis's Homepage Send James P. Davis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gah! I knew I should have checked on it today, darn slow shipping trucks, grumble, grumble...
Oh well, looking forward to nabbing one.
Congrats Erik!

Best,
--James

"Everybody is a book of blood; wherever we're opened, we're red."--Clive Barker

FR: RotD2:"Possessions"
Wizards:Bloodwalk
Citadels: The Shield of Weeping Ghosts
Wilds: The Restless Shore
Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep: Circle of Skulls (May 2010)
Book trailers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC-ska7ohVk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfvFdQ8bLp0
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2005 :  23:33:20  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's official, and it's not a hoax. I've got the copy in my hand to prove it: Ghostwalker is out in some stores.

Neat that they put it on the shelves just before Thanksgiving, so that it was there for post-Turkey day shopping.

(Gah! Erik you capitalist pig-dog!)

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2005 :  21:00:00  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, and one other thing:

In a few days, I'm pretty sure that Wizards will put up on their website some supplementary stuff I wrote for Ghostwalker:

- An interview with me about the book (probably best read before reading the book)

- A character profile of one of the main characters

- A supplementary short story concerning another of the principle characters, which can be read before or after the book -- your choice.

So you have some Ghostwalker stuff to read even if you don't have the book / time yet. :)

The story ("Wayfarer") takes place three hours after the prelude to Ghostwalker and just less than fifteen years before the first chapter. It's the kind of story you can read before you read the book, during, or after -- all that will change is how you perceive it. I don't think it spoils anything. What it does do is give a great taste of what the book is like.

I would imagine they'll put them up December 1st, when the site gets updated, but they might wait until next week. We'll see.

Anyway -- now you have something else to look forward to as well!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5586 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2005 :  21:24:43  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage  Click to see Alaundo's MSN Messenger address Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oh, and one other thing:

In a few days, I'm pretty sure that Wizards will put up on their website some supplementary stuff I wrote for Ghostwalker:

- An interview with me about the book (probably best read before reading the book)

- A character profile of one of the main characters

- A supplementary short story concerning another of the principle characters, which can be read before or after the book -- your choice.

So you have some Ghostwalker stuff to read even if you don't have the book / time yet. :)

The story ("Wayfarer") takes place three hours after the prelude to Ghostwalker and just less than fifteen years before the first chapter. It's the kind of story you can read before you read the book, during, or after -- all that will change is how you perceive it. I don't think it spoils anything. What it does do is give a great taste of what the book is like.

I would imagine they'll put them up December 1st, when the site gets updated, but they might wait until next week. We'll see.

Anyway -- now you have something else to look forward to as well!

Cheers

Well met

Splendid. A very nice little extra for the tale, Erik. Thank ye for bringing this important piece of news to us.

Due to the close tie into the Ghostwalker tale and timeline, this tale will have a scroll within the book club next month

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2005 :  21:48:03  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Splendid. A very nice little extra for the tale, Erik. Thank ye for bringing this important piece of news to us.

Well, it is my hope that you'll get your money's worth from this scribe. ;)

Many thanks to the wondrous folks at WotC for letting me put up the short -- in particular, Susan, my editor, and the web guys!

quote:
Due to the close tie into the Ghostwalker tale and timeline, this tale will have a scroll within the book club next month

That's an excellent plan. This way, folks who haven't read the novel or aren't planning to can join in the Book Club if they want!

But by all means -- check out the short when it shows up. It gives an excellent taste of the tone of Ghostwalker. It's written far after the novel (I wrote it a month ago, and the novel I finished eight or ten months ago), but it can be read before, during, after, whenever!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 28 Nov 2005 21:55:03
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2005 :  22:53:59  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So, does that mean we have to read it three times?! And here I thought the one good thing about bumming out of university was that I'd not need to do any more homework...

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2005 :  23:24:31  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

So, does that mean we have to read it three times?! And here I thought the one good thing about bumming out of university was that I'd not need to do any more homework...

Oh no -- you CAN, certainly, but you'll probably get everything with one read. One's quite enough.

On the other hand, if you really want to wring the most you can out of it, read it once before Ghostwalker, then again after, and fill in all the blanks you didn't catch the first time (unless you're psychic, in which case. . .).

In any case, don't trip.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 28 Nov 2005 23:25:25
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2005 :  21:29:07  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A sample chapter (well, two: prelude and chapter 1) is up:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=products/frnovel/956027400

db

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2005 :  17:06:55  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Still no "Wayfarer," folks.

There's a character profile, though: Arya Venkyr

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30403 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2005 :  17:57:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
BTW, Erik, if I recall correctly, it was eventually figured out how bees fly: the way they flap their wings creates a low-pressure vortex over the wing, greatly increasing the lift.

I just thought I'd mention that, since you mentioned that old mystery in that interview.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 05 Dec 2005 22:43:37
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2005 :  20:00:39  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can always count on you, my dear hamster. ;)

I believe what I was going for was: ". . .shouldn't be able to fly, but does through the miracle of SCIENCE!" but that was just too long for a simple gag. :)

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2005 :  07:30:07  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric,
I have a question about Ghostwalker.
Just picked up and just reached chapter 7, liking it alot so far.
Why a mithral blade? Just curious, since it is a somewhat odd choice.

Thanks

Edit: Just finished Ghostwalker, a most excellent novel. Can't wait to read more by you.

Warlock

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document

Edited by - warlockco on 12 Dec 2005 10:41:52
Go to Top of Page

Malarick
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2005 :  11:07:55  Show Profile Send Malarick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warlockco

Please keep questions like this, in the relevant threads, in the Ghostwalker book club.

Thanks

Malarick
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2005 :  16:20:35  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Come one, come all, to commentary on "Wayfarer," my short story!

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=books/fr/wayfarer

Commentary over in the book club. ;)

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2005 :  16:27:40  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Eric,
Just picked up and just reached chapter 7, liking it alot so far.
Why a mithral blade? Just curious, since it is a somewhat odd choice.

Thanks

Edit: Just finished Ghostwalker, a most excellent novel. Can't wait to read more by you.

Warlock

I'm glad you enjoyed! Check out my "Wayfarer" short story, if you like!

As for your question: Well, it's an elven weapon -- it seemed appropriate.

In gamerese, the weapon is a +1 ghost touch mithral shatterspike longsword.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2005 :  22:33:38  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Malarick

quote:

Please keep questions like this, in the relevant threads, in the Ghostwalker book club.

Thanks

Why would I have to post over in the book club?
When my question is a general question as opposed to a question on a specific chapter?!?

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2005 :  22:35:10  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm glad you enjoyed! Check out my "Wayfarer" short story, if you like!

As for your question: Well, it's an elven weapon -- it seemed appropriate.

In gamerese, the weapon is a +1 ghost touch mithral shatterspike longsword.

Cheers

Okay in tht context, being an elven weapon, does make sense then.

Thanks for the reply Eric.

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 64 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000