Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Erik Scott de Bie
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 64

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2009 :  22:34:07  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skychrome

quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie
One little lore nugget: the working title Arita used when he (she?) wrote that volume was "The Marauder Queen," but it was since changed by the publisher to reflect the naming convention of the rest of the series. A number of first editions still carry the original title.

Hmm, since you mention this detail, I assume that you have already written a story where you have someone reading or picking up a copy of The Marauder Queen?
Lips = sealed.

quote:
6. Fox in the Black Bastion (1476) (which Black Bastion could that be?)
Hmm . . . I wonder . . .

quote:
Please WotC, give Erik the Hollywood-call!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Signature of Shameless Self-Promotion +6: Order my sixth novel, Shadow of the Winter King (Amazon, e-signing, Dragonmoon Press)

Also check out my Realms work, most recently Shadowbane: Eye of Justice, out now on e-readers everywhere! (Kindle, Nook)
Go to Top of Page

Erethar
Seeker

Germany
20 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2009 :  00:16:18  Show Profile  Visit Erethar's Homepage Send Erethar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I finished Downshadow some days ago and thougt i should drop by to voice my opinion

I start with the things i didn't liked too much, but its nothing too serious. As with Depths of madness there is a bit too much Lust thrown around. The women strike me a little bit as how men would like them to be, beautiful and willing. As the reader I am mostly having the perspektive of kalen who is the focus of the longing here, you are definetely catering to the male reader here, right? ;)

But it's really a minor thing AND absolutely a subjective (?) one. Now on to the things I really liked:

You spent a lot of thought on Detail, in a way you are rewarding readers who know a lot about the realms as they can appreciate those little hints, like the verse from Thann or your mentioning of things pre 4e.
Which brings me to the next point. I think your linking the 'old' 3e era to the 4e era is the best I've read so far. I really got the feeling this is the same world although changed. The mentioning of now legendary people of old, the old now dead gods (really great Idea to let the main character be a follower of a dead god,you show us how the old flavor can be taken over to the new realms, es aspects of the new gods for example) and many other things

And the last, but i think crucial point is, even though you are limited by 'only' getting to write stand alone novels you succeed in creating your setting within the setting giving a feeling of a greater story arc above the single novels. Downshadow cannot only be seen as the story it is, but also as the view of a supporting character on a part of the 'main' story, being Fox' life that is. You reward people for knowing your other works without disappointing people who do not.

I think you will surely get more orders from wizard because of your strategy you encourage people to buy your other books also.

So, it is late here in germany, forgive me my mispellings and especially my grammar ( by the way, correcting my grammar helps me getting practice) for I'm too tired to read it through again. I wish you the best for the future an keep up the excellent work!

( ah, about the sexual thing again... as I know some of Greenwoods work, I think you're keeping a tradition, so it's not so bad after all ;) )
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2009 :  16:12:32  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Erethar, I write women in a certain way, and I'm sorry if it doesn't work for you. In this case, it's not because I view women that way, but a consideration of my audience, which I think wants a number of things from female characters: smart, sexy, strong, independent, realistic. (And it's also clear to me that these things aren't mutually exclusive.)

I try to strike a balance between real and romanticized--so that these are real people in a real setting, but also keeping them fantasy heroines that *fit* with the traditions of fantasy, which is notably archetypal and tends toward metaphor rather than the literal. That doesn't mean I want or attempt to make them quote-unquote "chainmail bikini babes" but they do have a tendency toward being larger than life, as it were.

I personally think that all my female characters can be explained by one psychological construct or another, but I think I would point to Rayse and Cellica as the closest to "real women" I came. Fayne is a purposefully deceptive creature who plays on exactly this sort of thing (she manipulates people by *being* the way men want women to be) and Myrin is "not-all-there" as it were--basically, she's a teenage girl with a teenage girl's mentality. Given the chance, I plan to develop her substantially more as a character.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Signature of Shameless Self-Promotion +6: Order my sixth novel, Shadow of the Winter King (Amazon, e-signing, Dragonmoon Press)

Also check out my Realms work, most recently Shadowbane: Eye of Justice, out now on e-readers everywhere! (Kindle, Nook)
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2009 :  16:12:41  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just briefly browsed through the Eye of Justice. Looks interesting, have to look a bit more into it, I only browsed through it.
Maybe I can get someone to set up the Chiangs (another Dragonmcoast-based org) against them. :D

Note that Shadowbane refers to a 'spellscarred flesh' ability that is missing from the statblock. Does it refer to his resist?
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2009 :  16:23:07  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wanted to mention two other things, in response to your long and excellent post, Erethar:

quote:
Originally posted by Erethar

As the reader I am mostly having the perspektive of kalen who is the focus of the longing here, you are definetely catering to the male reader here, right? ;)
Heh. Yes, a bit. Partly, that's just how the plot worked out, and as I said earlier, partly that's just Waterdeep as I see it. And thirdly, I wanted to invest him with a powerful romantic nature, in the tradition of Robin Hood, Batman, Roland of Gilead, etc. This sort of hero is sexy, and I wanted that to come across.

quote:
You spent a lot of thought on Detail, in a way you are rewarding readers who know a lot about the realms as they can appreciate those little hints, like the verse from Thann or your mentioning of things pre 4e.
Thanks! And yes, I did this all purposefully. I, like many of my readers, love the Realms and all the lore, and I wanted to tell a new story in the advanced setting that would appeal to new readers whilst rewarding long-time readers and fans like myself.

The Threefold God idea came partly from how I initially thought up Shadowbane (as a crusader of Helm) before I knew anything about the time-skip or the new setting, and the desire to show the way the old lore influences the present day. I did want things to come across as legendary and really, really cool.

quote:
( ah, about the sexual thing again... as I know some of Greenwoods work, I think you're keeping a tradition, so it's not so bad after all ;) )
Heh. Yes, honoring Ed's work and the flavor he invested in his setting was one of my priorities as well.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2009 :  16:38:53  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gomez

Note that Shadowbane refers to a 'spellscarred flesh' ability that is missing from the statblock. Does it refer to his resist?
That is a non-attack ability that got cut from the final draft--I think rightly, as it's sort of redundant. Your instinct is right on: it does indeed refer to his resist 5 all when bloodied.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Erethar
Seeker

Germany
20 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2009 :  00:16:31  Show Profile  Visit Erethar's Homepage Send Erethar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your response mr. de Bie.

I want to point one thing out: Even though some things don't work so well with me, the overall novel makes more than up for it and i will gladly read any other forthcoming works from you. I really like the complex structure of your surrounding 'main plot'.

I share your view on Rayse and Cellica. Your explanation about Kalen being the centre because you wanted some superhero-flavor like batman is very helpful, i think i can grasp it now a little better ( it doesn't come to my mind because I grew up more with Asterix and Ducktales or 'Digedags' of anyone knows what i mean^^)

Seeing Myrin I briefly got my hopes up for a new goddess of magic if they ever let you write a trilogy, but what I've seen of 4e is looking like they don't want magic to be restricted to have more freedom working with it (gameplay and storywise)

One last question for the moment: I have read Downshadow and Depths of madness and 'The greater Treasure' and they connect really well. But as Ghostwalker is your first novel, I suspect it has none of those ties?
( Sadly can't get a hold on Realms of the Dragons II, it's sold out on amazon.de you contributet a short story there If i recall correctly?)

I'm sure we will see another FR Book from you, I hope they have some room in second half of 2010 :)
Go to Top of Page

Teneck
Learned Scribe

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2009 :  05:17:04  Show Profile  Visit Teneck's Homepage Send Teneck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

One last question for the moment: I have read Downshadow and Depths of madness and 'The greater Treasure' and they connect really well. But as Ghostwalker is your first novel, I suspect it has none of those ties?

But if you read close he does a shout out to Ghostwalker in Downshadow...very subtle...but there.

"Go ahead...Sleep in the church...the vampires can't get ya in the church" Any DM...any time.

"He's like a trained ape...without the training"
Simon after Jane trashed the Med lab
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2009 :  14:59:51  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Seeing Myrin I briefly got my hopes up for a new goddess of magic if they ever let you write a trilogy, but what I've seen of 4e is looking like they don't want magic to be restricted to have more freedom working with it (gameplay and storywise)
I have seen that theory advanced before--that Myrin is some sort of fledgling goddess of magic or heir to a similar power . . . we'll (hopefully) see in the future.

quote:
(Sadly can't get a hold on Realms of the Dragons II, it's sold out on amazon.de you contributet a short story there If i recall correctly?)
I did indeed. RotD2 is out-of-print (has been for a while), so if you see any copies at any used bookstores, snap them up. If you ever make a trip to the states, you might have more luck over here.

quote:
Originally posted by Teneck

quote:

But if you read close he does a shout out to Ghostwalker in Downshadow...very subtle...but there.
Indeed. I think it's very appropriate and accurate, thematically.

Also, I think you'll find a subtle reference to Ghostwalker in my forthcoming short story contribution to the Realms of the Dead anthology.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Master of Realmslore

1962 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2009 :  21:32:19  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I read your eye of justice article it was pretty good....

now when is Foxxie at twilight getting ddi love???

and her evil twin shadow fox

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2009 :  23:17:16  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Your guess is as good as mine. Are there a lot of people clamoring for it on the Wizards boards? That might make a difference.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Darth KTrava
Learned Scribe

USA
172 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2009 :  23:57:33  Show Profile  Visit Darth KTrava's Homepage  Send Darth KTrava an AOL message Send Darth KTrava a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There seems to be a few, granted there's not many as it is...., who haved asked about Fox....

Right now the boards over there are down, or not cooperating with my Firefox....

I did finally finish Downshadow. It seems that Kalen is passing the torch, so are we done with that particular character?

Evil will be dealt with swiftly as it is my duty to remove such evil from my presence.
-Rozhena, Cleric/Divine Champion of Torm
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2009 :  03:01:36  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Darth KTrava

There seems to be a few, granted there's not many as it is...., who haved asked about Fox....
It's a small, scrappy insurgency.

My hope is to write her into a trilogy, so that more people will read about her. Nyah ha!

quote:
I did finally finish Downshadow. It seems that Kalen is passing the torch, so are we done with that particular character?
Oh, he's not passing the torch. He may indeed come back, and I have some excellent plans for how he'll make his return. In theory!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Master of Realmslore

1962 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2009 :  09:26:19  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Right now the boards over there are down, or not cooperating with my Firefox....

whats it doing, saying tech error???
thats what it says on mine, just go through the main page, works for me, and I use FireFox.

wonder, does Foxxie at Twiight use firefox?

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
2868 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2009 :  12:10:29  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had to start going through the D&D Site also.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2009 :  15:56:06  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, Firefox is having issues with the site. I suggest using another Internet Browser--Internet Explorer worked fine for me.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2009 :  16:00:00  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, I should add that I made the ending of Downshadow purposefully ambiguous as to whether Shadowbane plans to continue his quest against evil. If you as the DM want to have your PCs pick up the quest (particularly using the Eye of Justice material on DDI (check Dungeon's October articles) or the upcoming Channel Divinity: Torm article that will appear on Dragon in November), the ending of Downshadow makes for an excellent segue into their career. Perhaps the sword goes to one of them, and they will have a destiny like Shadowbane did.

Or maybe Shadowbane still has the sword, and will wield it in upcoming novels. We'll see!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Darth KTrava
Learned Scribe

USA
172 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2009 :  22:10:18  Show Profile  Visit Darth KTrava's Homepage  Send Darth KTrava an AOL message Send Darth KTrava a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not to mention further development of Myrin as well.

And IE gave me the same error. So I guess Epic FAIL on the WOTC site....

Evil will be dealt with swiftly as it is my duty to remove such evil from my presence.
-Rozhena, Cleric/Divine Champion of Torm
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Master of Realmslore

1962 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2009 :  09:07:47  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
so Erik... would you ever consider using a mimic disguised as a ghost ship in one of your novels??

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2009 :  17:48:13  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Assuming that mimics have a swim speed? Sure.

I will ask . . . where did THAT come from? It's a pretty out-of-the-blue question.

Though I did notice that a Mimic sourcebook came out recently . . .

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Master of Realmslore

1962 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2009 :  20:51:46  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
oh it came from out of the nowhere and the somewhere while I was laughing at something else......

well they have been known to get very big.....mimic splat??? where

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3067 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2009 :  22:06:54  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

oh it came from out of the nowhere and the somewhere while I was laughing at something else......

well they have been known to get very big.....mimic splat??? where

A lovely little PDF for only $2 from the terrific SKR Studios

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Master of Realmslore

1962 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2009 :  00:41:48  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
oh and btw, dont think they'd need a swim spead, they'd just float around or something......or swim like a duck....

hahaha

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3523 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2009 :  21:54:19  Show Profile  Send The Red Walker a Yahoo! Message Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

quote:

It's a small, scrappy insurgency.

My hope is to write her into a trilogy, so that more people will read about her. Nyah ha!

quote:
Oh, he's not passing the torch. He may indeed come back, and I have some excellent plans for how he'll make his return. In theory!

Cheers

huh, that sounds like writer speak for you have aready turned in your first draft(fingers crossed)

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2009 :  22:21:00  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

huh, that sounds like writer speak for you have aready turned in your first draft(fingers crossed)

Nope, I tell you very truthfully--other than the Realms of the Dead anthology coming out in a couple months, I have nothing in the novel/short story works with WotC at the moment.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 64 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000