Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Erik Scott de Bie
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 64

Teneck
Learned Scribe

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2009 :  15:47:59  Show Profile  Visit Teneck's Homepage Send Teneck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Better get on that, Sage--if you can wrestle it from Lady K . . . an endeavor whose danger is exceeded only by its fun.

@Teneck: I'm glad it's working for you. I tried to put in just enough--not too much, not too little.

Cheers

The balance seems right on the amount you put in...actually it isn't the amount that matters in this kind of thing, more of a matter of HOW they are inserted in the story. The tributes and nods to previous story lines are placed in Downshadow very carefully, they never have a feeling of "Hit you over the head", but more of a you will catch it if you read it carefully. And it is well worth it to re-read just to find them all. Subtlety is what is more important then quantity, and you managed it quite nicely.

"Go ahead...Sleep in the church...the vampires can't get ya in the church" Any DM...any time.

"He's like a trained ape...without the training"
Simon after Jane trashed the Med lab
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2009 :  16:18:57  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glad it works for you.

I like to think of the Realms as a living, breathing world, where events in one place have an effect (small or not) on another. And my metafictional side figures that if *we* tell stories about the Realms, then the folk of the Realms tell stories about the realms much the way we tell our own stories about our own world, some of which are historical accounts, some of which are mythic in proportion. And I don't see why some of those wouldn't overlap.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Signature of Shameless Self-Promotion +6: Order my sixth novel, Shadow of the Winter King (Amazon, e-signing, Dragonmoon Press)

Also check out my Realms work, most recently Shadowbane: Eye of Justice, out now on e-readers everywhere! (Kindle, Nook)
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Master of Realmslore

1964 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2009 :  19:10:40  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You mean Force Grey? (little nod to Steve, there)

Well, Shadowbane is scrappy, anti-social, and works outside the law . . . pretty much perfect for membership. Granted, he's probably not powerful enough for the Grey Hands. I see them as high-paragon or epic-level, and Shadowbane is high-heroic. I suspect he would branch into low-paragon if he appeared in a trilogy, but that's still fairly low.

Also not sure if the Grey Hands are still around in 4e. I haven't seen anything to confirm it either way.

But assuming they are, a good question would be, if Shadowbane got out hand, would the Grey Hands come after him? (It would be like the Avengers deciding to take out Spider-man.)

Cheers

ummm according to The Sage, there was a mention of a mage in grey which accroding to him was a note of the Grey Hands.
they'd approach him, and they would start with usual taunt, we can do this the easy way or the hard way. My little group here, we prefer the hard way.....

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2009 :  20:16:21  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, if Sage swings by, he can point that out to me. Personally, I love the concept, so I hope the group survived the timeskip.

As for that confrontation, indeed, that would be a fun one to write. I think in Downshadow he's not powerful/notorious enough to warrant their notice/action. I mean, the watch/guard didn't even really believe he existed until the events of the novel, and even now, it's confined to Rayse and Talanna (who actually saw him in action). It's more likely that (noting her desire to work "outside the law" to "see justice done") Rayse would want him to keep doing what he's doing, as long as she sees it being for the good of the city (sort of Comm. Gordon to Batman).

So many questions to answer . . .

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Signature of Shameless Self-Promotion +6: Order my sixth novel, Shadow of the Winter King (Amazon, e-signing, Dragonmoon Press)

Also check out my Realms work, most recently Shadowbane: Eye of Justice, out now on e-readers everywhere! (Kindle, Nook)
Go to Top of Page

Teneck
Learned Scribe

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2009 :  20:21:47  Show Profile  Visit Teneck's Homepage Send Teneck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So many questions to answer . . .

So where is a good spot to start bombarding WotC with requests for novel continuations? There are several I have in mind that I would like to see the authors continue.

"Go ahead...Sleep in the church...the vampires can't get ya in the church" Any DM...any time.

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2009 :  20:59:37  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm gratified that you care so much about our work!

The Wizards online forum is a possibility: http://forums.gleemax.com/forumdisplay.php?f=914

Also, sometimes the most effective messages are hand-written, snail-mail letters sent to the high ups. Address it to the individual you're writing to (Phil Athans, or Novel Department, or Brand Manager, etc.), c/o . . . and then use the Wizards LLC address (check here). Tell them what you like about the books, how you see them helping the realms as a setting and the D&D game as a whole, what you really want to see next from the authors, mention how you're getting all your friends to buy them, etc., etc.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Teneck
Learned Scribe

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2009 :  21:01:46  Show Profile  Visit Teneck's Homepage Send Teneck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you Erik...message sent

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31687 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2009 :  01:14:02  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

ummm according to The Sage, there was a mention of a mage in grey which accroding to him was a note of the Grey Hands.
they'd approach him, and they would start with usual taunt, we can do this the easy way or the hard way. My little group here, we prefer the hard way.....
It wasn't definitive. It was just a reference that reminded me of the Grey Hands. I'll re-post it below:-
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I'm not entirely all up on 4e Realmslore for Waterdeep, but I do recall a tidbit in Blackstaff Tower that made me think of the Grey Hands. Let me find it.

Edit: Got it! -- pg. 191. A bit about all grey-robes possessing wands that allow them to paralyze or slow their opponents. This rang "Grey Hands" bells in my mind.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Teneck
Learned Scribe

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2009 :  16:29:54  Show Profile  Visit Teneck's Homepage Send Teneck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I think in Downshadow he's not powerful/notorious enough to warrant their notice/action. I mean, the watch/guard didn't even really believe he existed until the events of the novel, and even now, it's confined to Rayse and Talanna (who actually saw him in action).

I know you have him as a Rogue/Paladin build with a couple levels of inquisitor in there. But what (game terms) level do you see him as?
And where do you see him progressing to now that he is "out and about"?

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2009 :  18:08:11  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Teneck

I know you have him as a Rogue/Paladin build with a couple levels of inquisitor in there. But what (game terms) level do you see him as?
Well, that's a complex question. If you're talking about Shadowbane as he actually appears in the novel, then we're talking 4e FR, to which 3.5 mechanics (like rogue/paladin/shadowbane inquisitor) don't really apply with any veracity.

In 4e terms, he's really a pursuit avenger (possibly multiclass paladin feats, possibly multiclass spellplague feats--haven't yet built him), and he's probably around 8th level or so. High heroic tier, for sure.

quote:
And where do you see him progressing to now that he is "out and about"?
I suspect that he'll keep progressing along that same path (avenger), and that the next novel will see him either again at high heroic, or (if it's a trilogy) getting into paragon tier.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Teneck
Learned Scribe

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2009 :  18:13:53  Show Profile  Visit Teneck's Homepage Send Teneck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

[quote]

I suspect that he'll keep progressing along that same path (avenger), and that the next novel will see him either again at high heroic, or (if it's a trilogy) getting into paragon tier.

Cheers

Now THAT I wanna see...Not too familiar with the Pursuit Avenger path from 4e but it it seems like a gesalt(sp) kind of build?

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2009 :  18:40:28  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Teneck

Now THAT I wanna see...Not too familiar with the Pursuit Avenger path from 4e but it it seems like a gesalt(sp) kind of build?

Remember the divine seeker from the 3.0 FRCS or 3.5 PGFR? Pretty much that sort of concept: a divine thief/assassin who serves a particular church.

The avenger is half-monk, half-hitman (to quote James Bond), channeling divine power to smite foes one-by-one. The pursuit avenger is one who emphasizes mobility and speed to chase after a foe who tries to run (and such flight is a foolish, vain prospect).

They're basically fleet-of-foot striker-sort-of paladins who grow a little jaded (i.e., not necessarily LG) from their work. Pretty much Shadowbane.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Teneck
Learned Scribe

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2009 :  19:02:28  Show Profile  Visit Teneck's Homepage Send Teneck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

They're basically fleet-of-foot striker-sort-of paladins who grow a little jaded (i.e., not necessarily LG) from their work. Pretty much Shadowbane.

Cheers

Not LG and still have a touch of the divine...OOOOO I like it, I like it. This is why I have changed my position a wee bit on my anti 4th Ed stance (sorry Mace). While I will still play in 3.5 Realms there are some builds and aspects of 4th Ed that are intriguing to me. And the Pathfinder rules as well. As I have always done I will take what I want out of the books and leave the rest....this will just encourage me to look at some 4th ed stuff for rules and builds.

As it was stated in one of the 3.0 edition core books "These books are only a guide line" and I will continue to be guided and not forced.

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2009 :  19:54:20  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, cool. Check it out, and if you like it, that's cool. If not, whatevs. If you love the Realms half as much as I do, you're a shoe-in on this thread.

I play it all. I played 1e a few times, 2e, 3/3.5e, 4e, the works. I haven't actually got the chance to play in a Pathfinder game, though the rules are really awesome, IMO, and I have read quite a bit about it. (Looking for an opportunity to write for those guys as well!)

I'm of the "live-and-let-live" philosophy: play what game you like, and let everyone else play whatever games they like. The desire to bash other games/settings/etc--or other people for liking them--saddens me. (Though I'll readily confess that terms like "Sellplague" and "Dragginglance" are pretty darn hilarious--untrue, but hilarious. )

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Master of Realmslore

1964 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2009 :  22:20:50  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
he could be a paladin with mutliclass avenger too, with the grey guard pp when the time comes....

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Teneck
Learned Scribe

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2009 :  15:59:11  Show Profile  Visit Teneck's Homepage Send Teneck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

(Snip)
(Though I'll readily confess that terms like "Sellplague" and "Dragginglance" are pretty darn hilarious--untrue, but hilarious. )

Cheers

My friends and I always refer to the Dragon Lance books as the "And they marched" series. Always movin...but not really getting anywhere...Wheel of time is like that in spots as well.

The nice thing about both of your books that I have read is the pacing of the story line...it never goes so fast that you feel rushed...but it never slows down too much either. It is a tough balance to accomplish I'm sure...I assume it is difficult as I haven't written a novel(yet) and a lot of writers miss the mark.

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2009 :  16:28:34  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pacing is, indeed, one of the big challenges. Also characterization, character development, plotting, revelations, surprises, dialogue, action . . . (the list goes on!)

You've heard about the Wheel of Time being finished posthumously, right? Three volumes to be written by Brandon Sanderson: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wheel_of_Time#Author.27s_death_and_final_book

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Teneck
Learned Scribe

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2009 :  16:53:09  Show Profile  Visit Teneck's Homepage Send Teneck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Pacing is, indeed, one of the big challenges. Also characterization, character development, plotting, revelations, surprises, dialogue, action . . . (the list goes on!)

You've heard about the Wheel of Time being finished posthumously, right? Three volumes to be written by Brandon Sanderson: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wheel_of_Time#Author.27s_death_and_final_book

Cheers

Yes I have heard of the series continuation, and I am waiting(not quite so patiently)for the next book. I came into reading that series rather late so I have not been waiting as long as some others, but I am still excited about it.
As much as I pan and deride books for their slowness in point A to point B travel it is always a challenge to me as a DM to make the journey for the characters mean something (other then "you spend 5 days on the road...nothing happens") or RP every single day and make a big deal out of something not important to the story ("Ok, who's cooking dinner tonight...and give me a watch schedule").
The random encounter rolls help some but I have gotten to the point of planning a trip in my head for them as to if something happens or not, that way I can choose when to role play it.
Except those crafty players of mine know me too well(they are all my family)to REALLY surprise them most of the time.

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2009 :  15:45:39  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just thought I'd pop in to offer this link to a persistent interview with me over at Loremaster: http://www.loremaster.org/vbinterviews.php?do=showinterview&id=3

Fox-at-Twilight fans might find quite a bit to like over there.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Master of Realmslore

1964 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2009 :  20:41:32  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hmmmmm Foxxie at twilight.....eating ice cream once per tenday......

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Erethar
Seeker

Germany
20 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2009 :  13:30:28  Show Profile  Visit Erethar's Homepage Send Erethar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't posted in quite a while, but I thought I should drop by, as I now start on reading Downshadow!
Because as I held it in my hands, a question came to my mind:

How much information about how good a book/series is selling is wizards giving out to the authors. And in addition, how well did your books get sold? I'm sure wizards puts the decision who gets a trilogy based on sales, so I whish you the best

regards,
Erethar
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2009 :  18:45:38  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We get royalties statements which tell us how many copies each of our books sells in a given quarter. I won't give actual figures, but I will say that my novels sell pretty well.

And I think there are a lot of factors that go into the decision to contract trilogies, move a series to hardcover, etc., etc. I am hopeful that I will one day meet all of WotC's criteria, because there is a LOT of story to be told.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2009 :  16:33:12  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I am hopeful that I will one day meet all of WotC's criteria, because there is a LOT of story to be told.

Well Erik, if you need buyers for your future 9 book Fox-series: count me in! Starting with "Fox among the Uthgardt"...

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2009 :  18:12:28  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skychrome

Well Erik, if you need buyers for your future 9 book Fox-series: count me in! Starting with "Fox among the Uthgardt"...

That's a particularly harrowing, deeply romantic story, and I hope to see it in print one day.

One little lore nugget: the working title Arita used when he (she?) wrote that volume was "The Marauder Queen," but it was since changed by the publisher to reflect the naming convention of the rest of the series. A number of first editions still carry the original title.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 09 Oct 2009 18:12:52
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2009 :  20:42:21  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
One little lore nugget: the working title Arita used when he (she?) wrote that volume was "The Marauder Queen," but it was since changed by the publisher to reflect the naming convention of the rest of the series. A number of first editions still carry the original title.

Hmm, since you mention this detail, I assume that you have already written a story where you have someone reading or picking up a copy of The Marauder Queen?

Regarding the Fox-series, the titles of the books that I highlighted with bold letters sound particularly exciting to my personal likings:

1. Fox among the Uthgardt (1469)
2. Fox among the Night Masks (1470)
3. Fox against the Lord of Fate (1471)
4. Fox on the Run (1472)
5. Fox among the Dueling Dragons (1475)
6. Fox in the Black Bastion (1476) (which Black Bastion could that be?)
7. Fox and the Shrouded Prince (1477)
8. Fox in the Anauroch (1478)
9. Fox and the Blue Fire (forthcoming, 1479)

Please WotC, give Erik the Hollywood-call!

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 64 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000