Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Erik Scott de Bie
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 53

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2010 :  03:31:08  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
unless it contained Twilight and her twin.... hahahahaha

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2010 :  03:42:56  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

quote:

Can you tell us how long after Downshadow this one starts?
This is subject to change, mind you, but as written now, it takes place about a year after the events of Downshadow.

quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

Oh, dear. Is this related to the playtest session last GenCon, or something after the fact?
You mean does it have a suitably scantily clad Twilight draping herself languorously across Matt James's lap and whispering sweet nothings in his ear?

Er, no, that's not quite the reason.

Cheers

Phewww! that takes away the risk of a James bros/twilight sandwich

Linkified that for you.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2010 :  14:47:25  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

quote:

quote:

quote:

Can you tell us how long after Downshadow this one starts?
This is subject to change, mind you, but as written now, it takes place about a year after the events of Downshadow.

quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

Oh, dear. Is this related to the playtest session last GenCon, or something after the fact?
You mean does it have a suitably scantily clad Twilight draping herself languorously across Matt James's lap and whispering sweet nothings in his ear?

Er, no, that's not quite the reason.

Cheers

Phewww! that takes away the risk of a James bros/twilight sandwich

Linkified that for you.

You are a sick scribe Ashe. I think Garen was referring to the play session for Monument of the Ancients.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2010 :  16:03:20  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why are those three guys stealing Erik's Moves??

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2010 :  16:10:19  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've long considered a carrier in crafting inane dance music. Thus far, fantasy has proved the more interesting (but probably less lucrative) choice.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2010 :  16:56:45  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Be wary, friend Erik! I've heard rumours that "the beat" will eventually get you.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2010 :  19:06:57  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I've long considered a carrier in crafting inane dance music. Thus far, fantasy has proved the more interesting (but probably less lucrative) choice.

Cheers

Yeah and you have to keep crafting new tales, the other way...if you can find that ellusive beat, its good for at least a whole album, and maybe a career!

Go to Top of Page

Erethar
Acolyte

Germany
20 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2010 :  13:31:25  Show Profile  Visit Erethar's Homepage Send Erethar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Congrats to another novel Mr. deBie!

One Question though: almost all FR novels, standalone or otherwise where part of a line (all of you previous ones, for example)

Do you know if this one is part of another theme-based stand alone novel-line? Or did wizards changed there rules regarding F novels?

The upcoming Unbroken Chain also seems to stand in its very own, so to speak.

anyways, add me to your sold-count.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2010 :  15:05:46  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erethar

One Question though: almost all FR novels, standalone or otherwise where part of a line (all of you previous ones, for example)

Do you know if this one is part of another theme-based stand alone novel-line? Or did wizards changed there rules regarding F novels?
I don't think the thematic stand-alone series were part of a *rule,* so to speak, but more of a marketing schema to give stand-alone novels a little more *oomph* for pattern FR readers.

To explain, a stand-alone novel by itself has to stand on its own merits and has to be marketed seperately from others, so it's hard for a new author to make a splash with a pure stand-alone. Add it to a series with several other stand-alones, however, and the books market one another, as even if no one's ever heard of the author before, they might have read and enjoyed the others.

For instance, if you like Steven Schend's writing and enjoyed Blackstaff Tower, for instance, you might like Mistshore, Downshadow, etc., the rest of the Eddie Presents series, even if you've never read a book by Jaleigh, Rosemary, Erin, James, or myself.

From a publishing standpoint, WotC gets to train up a new author without tossing them into the cold alone--there's safety in numbers--and they don't have to market each book individually as much (saving time and money).

From a reader's standpoint, it seems like a great way to try out a new author without the commitment of a whole grand story such as a trilogy or other series.

But that's just my own personal take on the situation, and it doesn't really answer your original question . . . which I'm not actually going to answer, except to say (like a good rhetorician) that a certain assumption the question makes isn't exactly accurate.

That said, I'll leave it as a tease for now.

quote:
Having had the good fortune of reading said novel, I'm glad to see Jaleigh striding forth to tell her own story, outside of a shared series. Who knows? Her own series might well follow, and that's a possibility I'm definitely looking forward to. I highly recommend this one.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2010 :  01:43:15  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Having had the good fortune of reading said novel, I'm glad to see Jaleigh striding forth to tell her own story, outside of a shared series. Who knows? Her own series might well follow, and that's a possibility I'm definitely looking forward to. I highly recommend this one.

Cheers

I think that Jaliegh announcing that she does indeed get to do a flow up to The Unbroken Chain, featuring a few of those characters , is about the coolest thing since you announced Shadowbane!

Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2010 :  08:21:53  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I've long considered a carrier in crafting inane dance music.
Just out of curiosity Erik, had you followed this path, what would you have named yourself?

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Lady Kazandra on 14 Aug 2010 08:22:38
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2010 :  15:42:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Kazandra

quote:

Just out of curiosity Erik, had you followed this path, what would you have named yourself?

MCdB!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2010 :  16:41:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Lady Kazandra

quote:

MCdB!

Actually, I was thinking "Doctor de Bie." But Wooly's suggestion has merit too.

MCdB... Spin that wheel!

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2010 :  18:43:11  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think esbd would work too. Pronounce it es bad and you ca cross into hip hop r&b once in a while!

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2010 :  01:41:05  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You guys are awesome.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2010 :  21:51:20  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You guys are awesome.

Cheers

And that makes you prety damn lucky to have all this awesomeness directed at you

Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2010 :  21:54:30  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

You guys are awesome.

Cheers

And that makes you prety damn lucky to have all this awesomeness directed at you
It's not luck, exactly. It's convection. Being absurdly tall, Erik cannot but be exposed to the rising waves of awesome that gather around his head, trapped from floating into the ionosphere by the ceiling.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2010 :  22:07:33  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I try not to let it go to my head, but I was born with this disability of excessive height.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2010 :  23:13:37  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I try not to let it go to my head, but I was born with this disability of excessive height.

Cheers

Or with a shortage of shortness

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2010 :  17:43:41  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Eric, can you tell us if Crossroads Keep from nwn2 will make it in the nwcg?

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2010 :  18:17:36  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

Hey Eric, can you tell us if Crossroads Keep from nwn2 will make it in the nwcg?
Nope. I can't tell you.

What I *can* tell you is that some things from previous NWN sources do reappear, while some things are all new.

Cheers

EDIT: Clarified answer.

Erik Scott de Bie

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 17 Aug 2010 20:48:33
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2010 :  20:46:38  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
will there be a fox at twilight reference then??

hahahaha

so thats no you cant tell or no it doesnt???

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2010 :  20:48:00  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nope, I can't tell you.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2010 :  21:04:09  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
good.

while it would be good to know, better off finding out latter

I need to go turn the light on....

the city of nevewitner: Agnazzar was here

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2010 :  18:13:24  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Erik,

Saw you signed an agent recently! Does this give any hopes to "Whisper" seeing a bookshelf near me??

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2010 :  18:17:14  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not that particular novel in its current/original form, but I think you'll like what I've got to offer.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2010 :  21:25:10  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Not that particular novel in its current/original form, but I think you'll like what I've got to offer.

Cheers

hmm....intriguing....still "world of ruin" or did you move in a totally new direction?

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2010 :  01:00:20  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes.

You'll see.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2010 :  03:06:00  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yes.

You'll see.

Cheers

So mysterious...

Cool!

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2010 :  19:35:47  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
II thought you might like to know, that 18DELTA aka Brimestone called me a Fox at Twilight Fanboi.

and proud of it

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 53 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000