Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Erik Scott de Bie
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 64

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31689 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2009 :  03:32:58  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

P.S. to Lirdolin, Red Walker, Sage, et al: I'm also in the habit of encouraging folks who enjoy the book to consider writing a review to post on Amazon. I'm a lowly, fledgling writer, and the best way to build up a readership and spread the word is through recommendations from other readers.
I'm hoping I won't encounter the same difficulties I had with Amazon when I write a review for Downshadow, as I did with the review I tried to post for Depths of Madness.

"Too long" they said.
quote:
(Not to mention it ups the chance that I will name a walk-on character after you in a later book. )
Just remember, I have a beard. *snicker*

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2130 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2009 :  21:42:43  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It has been at least six months since I read your bio at the end of Depths of Madness, and I still wish had met you while you at Willamette. I attended Western Baptist College (now Corban College) and still live in Salem.

Anyways, I am looking forward to hearing more news on your rumored non-Realmsian novel so I can support you while continuing to not purchase anything 4e Realms new. And hopefully I will find a copy of Downshadow used.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)

Edited by - Hawkins on 16 Apr 2009 21:43:59
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2009 :  22:06:52  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It might be a long, long while before you can find a copy of DS used . . . I haven't seen my books on the used bookstore shelf, like, ever, and one can expect it will be a year or two before they show up at least.

On the other hand, it may be possible to buy it on ebay or from a used seller on Amazon.

Or (and you might like this the best) you can order one directly from me, and I'll send it to you autographed. (Check my blog for more details.)

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Signature of Shameless Self-Promotion +6: Order my sixth novel, Shadow of the Winter King (Amazon, e-signing, Dragonmoon Press)

Also check out my Realms work, most recently Shadowbane: Eye of Justice, out now on e-readers everywhere! (Kindle, Nook)
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3524 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2009 :  00:48:01  Show Profile  Send The Red Walker a Yahoo! Message Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

P.S. to Lirdolin, Red Walker, Sage, et al: I'm also in the habit of encouraging folks who enjoy the book to consider writing a review to post on Amazon. I'm a lowly, fledgling writer, and the best way to build up a readership and spread the word is through recommendations from other readers.
I'm hoping I won't encounter the same difficulties I had with Amazon when I write a review for Downshadow, as I did with the review I tried to post for Depths of Madness.

"Too long" they said.
quote:
(Not to mention it ups the chance that I will name a walk-on character after you in a later book. )
Just remember, I have a beard. *snicker*

Hmmm....two novels since my epic ghostwalker review.....i must have missed my walk-on

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2009 :  01:13:31  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just waiting for the right time, that's all.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Signature of Shameless Self-Promotion +6: Order my sixth novel, Shadow of the Winter King (Amazon, e-signing, Dragonmoon Press)

Also check out my Realms work, most recently Shadowbane: Eye of Justice, out now on e-readers everywhere! (Kindle, Nook)
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3524 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2009 :  01:31:57  Show Profile  Send The Red Walker a Yahoo! Message Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Just waiting for the right time, that's all.

Cheers

Sweeeet!! It augut to be epic then

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2009 :  20:25:06  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This question was originally posed over in the General FR chat, but I thought it was a good one to recopy:

quote:
Originally posted by skychrome

Erik, just out of interest: how do you invent names of characters for you books? Any particular source of inspiration?

I think every author has a different way of doing it (and I'd be interested to hear other strategies!), but mine . . .

A lot of names just jump into my mind, which is the easiest way. Usually they're not well formed and need a little tweaking (Ilira was like that, Gargan), but sometimes they're exactly what I want (Kalen, Myrin, Yldar, Rhyn, Dharan).

Sometimes I pick a word I think describes the character, then tweak it into a name (feign = Fayne, aria = Arya, lilt = Lilten, never = Neveren, bar = Bars, gestalt = Gestal) or just leave it as-is (Twilight, Walker), which I think imbues a character with the sort of underlying concept I want them to have (whether subtle or overt). Sometimes (rarely) I borrow names from other works and sometimes modify them slightly, like Cellica (which is not the car, BTW) or Meris (if anyone wants to guess where those came from, go for it; it may be obscure).

I have also been known to name characters after real people, either as a nod to a loyal reader--or as a way of eviscerating someone in fiction (not naming any names).

Some I have no idea where they came from, but just loved them anyway: Cythara, Derst, Rylatarralahtyma, Rukkthalmuramaxamin.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2009 :  20:59:04  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
...which provides a pretty good explaination on how the name Thlork was born and associated to the respective character!

What passed through your mind the moment you imagined a name for that creature? I just see this big muscular arm leaving a blob of glibber where one second before there stood a mighty fighter...

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2009 :  21:09:03  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
More or less.

I seem to recall . . . ah yes. In a little-talked-about PS1 game called Star Wars: Masters of Teras Kasi(sp?)--which is basically Soul Calibur in the SW universe--there was a Gamorian guard called (no lie) Thok. That was sort of the feel I was going for.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2009 :  21:43:03  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This name creation issue is really interesting!
I just recently asked Elaine Cunningham if her character Tzigone from Counselors & Kings was based on the German word for "gipsy", which was actually the case, just that she took the similar hungarian word.

Personally I think your approach on naming characters on how you feel them is very good because somehow automatically the names really correspond to your characters! It is actually transmitted to readers!

-

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2009 :  21:43:27  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

More or less.

I seem to recall . . . ah yes. In a little-talked-about PS1 game called Star Wars: Masters of Teras Kasi(sp?)--which is basically Soul Calibur in the SW universe--there was a Gamorian guard called (no lie) Thok. That was sort of the feel I was going for.

Cheers

Ahh, "thok." The beloved sound effect a quarterstaff makes when it strikes a foolish orc in the jaw.
Go to Top of Page

edappel
Learned Scribe

Brazil
211 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2009 :  07:24:48  Show Profile  Click to see edappel's MSN Messenger address Send edappel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't believe the contest to the autographed book has already ended! I've rush my reading to "Realms of Elves", and thought about my commentary for days! (even without reading)

Four hours ago, I read "The greater treasure"... I truly have to congratulate you Erik.
'Til now, your tale was the best one (started reading Ed's one now). Even better then Salvatore's (who's my favorite writer)...

Your writing style, remembers me of Ed's. And I don't know how your story said more then a 70 pages one, good work man!
After reading those 10 books that are coming from Amazon.com, I'll buy an autographed copy of Downshadow... (But if I had won the contest, I would probably read it after "The Pirate King", "Unholy" and "Shadowrealm".. It would be my 4th)

Well.. By the way, I would say this:
"My favorite character, at the moment, but only at the moment, is the Shadowdancer Twilight... 'Cause probably I'll have another one, after reading the autographed copy of Donwshadow that I will receive after winning this contest."

Do you think I have any chance of winning some contest with this kind of message? I will use it when I have another opportunity.

--- Ed Appel

*** I'm a brazilian FR fan. So, feel free to correct my writing mistakes to improve my english.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2009 :  15:35:18  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I expedited the contest in order to get books out to people sooner. If you want a signed book, by all means, drop me an email or contact me through my blog and we'll work it out.

I'm not sure if/when there'll be another contest--we'll just have to see.

I'm glad you like "The Greater Treasure"--I was quite proud of that story, and it's certainly significant to several sections of Downshadow, particularly a scene on pages 253-256. Not that you have to have read it for everything to make sense--it's just cool if you have.

(That's my goal--making the book stand alone but also making it so that readers of my other work will pick up extra things.)

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Erethar
Seeker

Germany
20 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2009 :  12:36:43  Show Profile  Visit Erethar's Homepage Send Erethar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm now about 100 pages into Depths, and enjoying it so far. I think you played well with stereotypes in the group, but until now the dungeon itself is the star. It really sets the right mood.
Apropos Charakters: Davoren reminded me about something...and today it came back to me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcbazH6aE2g&feature=related

minor graphical violence included ;)
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2009 :  15:41:57  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah yes. Looking for Group. Very entertaining.

Thanks for the link!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Master of Realmslore

1985 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2009 :  08:38:35  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
so who was Silver Fox??

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31689 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2009 :  11:15:07  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
She's one of the "participants" of the Weapon X project.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2009 :  19:41:49  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

so who was Silver Fox??

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

She's one of the "participants" of the Weapon X project.

I knew someone was going to say that!

I won't answer your question directly, SFD, but rather leave it open to speculation.

I will extrapolate out the info in DS: The popular and long-running serialized tale of the Silver Fox (romance/adventure) concerns an elf woman adventurer--the Silver Fox--who can’t help but land in glorious danger with every leap. She lives by her wits annd her charm, and when those don't suffice, her blade.

The currently released volumes include Fox among the Uthgardt (vol 1) and Fox in the Anauroch (vol 8), and there are six more in-between, unnamed. (I believe I have publication dates somewhere, but have misplaced my notes. Sorry!)

These chapbooks (all written by a “fancyname”/pseudonym called Arita, which just means “Silver Fox” in Elvish) chronicle their heroine's life over about 40-50 years, from her youth (Uthgardt, 1330s, about age 40) to maturity (Anauroch takes place around 1375, with the Fox at age 80).

The rumored ninth volume (Fox and the Blue Fire), after a hiatus of some years since the publication of Anauroch, is the talk of Waterdahvian literary circles.

Whether the Silver Fox is based on a real person is something of a question.

Cheers

P.S. Anyone pick up the significance of the other titles? [wink wink]

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Master of Realmslore

1985 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2009 :  20:04:08  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yep Depth of madness, and it really is madness I tell you madness

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2009 :  18:54:09  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I meant the titles of the OTHER chapbooks (non-Silver Fox), actually.

I believe Lascivities of a Loveable Lothario is one of Ed's personal favorites.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2009 :  18:55:15  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also wanted to stop in and encourage people to come discuss Downshadow in the Book Club!

I know people are reading it, but there haven't been that many posts in the BC thus far . . . possibly I explained everything so clearly there just aren't any questions, or maybe people aren't inclined to take a break from reading to ask.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Master of Realmslore

1985 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2009 :  21:47:01  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is Myrim a deva????

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit

Edited by - sfdragon on 04 May 2009 21:47:24
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2009 :  22:17:08  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a good question. Myrin's origin will have to remain a bit of a mystery, though I intend to explore it more in the next books.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Master of Realmslore

1985 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2009 :  09:30:05  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well she cant be am air gensai, the ice hair, and the water gensai had the seaweed hair....

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2009 :  09:37:32  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So is volume 7 Fox in Shadowdale?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 64 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000