Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Erik Scott de Bie
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 64

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2009 :  08:00:10  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heya,

quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie
LOL moment!

quote:

It is a clockwork clock, based on designs created by the main character of the Watercourse trilogy from 100 years ago. The clock is named somewhat uncreatively "Timehands" (but 'tis a sensible name, considering the novelty, so that people would know what it does, as I figure most people haven't seen a clock).

Hmm... Interesting. When was the tower built? It sounds like something I might incorporate into (my) Waterdeep at some point in the non-Spellplague future of (my) Realms.

quote:
What Sage said. I hope you can get your hands on it.

I suspect, vis a vis some of our other conversations, that certain aspects of this book will be quite gratifying for you particularly. But I wouldn't want to speak too much to that point--we'll see how you like it.

I'll let you know what I think when I manage to get it and read it.

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2009 :  14:58:39  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zandilar

Hmm... Interesting. When was the tower built? It sounds like something I might incorporate into (my) Waterdeep at some point in the non-Spellplague future of (my) Realms.

As would certainly be your prerogative, good lady!

I don't have a clear answer for you, however. In one of Candlekeep's great ironies, I suggest we go back to Ed's scroll and inquire there. In fact . . .

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Signature of Shameless Self-Promotion +6: Order my sixth novel, Shadow of the Winter King (Amazon, e-signing, Dragonmoon Press)

Also check out my Realms work, most recently Shadowbane: Eye of Justice, out now on e-readers everywhere! (Kindle, Nook)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2009 :  14:59:17  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And I'll give a classic Erik Scott de Bie answer to this question:
We may have to start a FAQ listing for those, I think.
quote:
At least 10 of them.
Neat. I'll hold off on handing the near complete "Candlekeep Tome" listing to Alaundo for the time being. I'll want to include these new chapbooks as well.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2009 :  15:17:18  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I could give you the full list now, but that would be telling--and I wouldn't want to spoil any portion of the book for you.

Let's just say that I have a full list, filled out with authors and historical notes (some more than others).

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Signature of Shameless Self-Promotion +6: Order my sixth novel, Shadow of the Winter King (Amazon, e-signing, Dragonmoon Press)

Also check out my Realms work, most recently Shadowbane: Eye of Justice, out now on e-readers everywhere! (Kindle, Nook)
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1615 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2009 :  05:57:04  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Erik, Just read your short story on the WOTC web site. Most excellent.

"Yap,yap, little dog!" - Riven - page 326 Shadowbred, by Paul Kemp

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Edited by - scererar on 13 Apr 2009 05:57:28
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2009 :  06:20:26  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think you mean the sample chapter? I don't think they've posted the companion story yet.

If you liked the sample chapter, you'd like the book. It's all like that.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2068 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2009 :  07:24:17  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
its up

http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4dnd/20090413

ohs and I bought a copy of your book

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234

Edited by - sfdragon on 13 Apr 2009 07:25:00
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2009 :  11:25:14  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, good.

And I've opened the Book Club scroll for the story, so interested scribes can discuss it there.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2009 :  15:30:04  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sweet! I shall redirect folks.

Grim Statue image looks particularly nice on this page.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2009 :  15:56:21  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Interestingly enough, Malar's "Exarch" status and slight decrease in power may have also allowed the NMP to focus almost exclusively on Shar. Something the Selūnites may not be happy with.

I'm not sure if Malar really seems that 'less powerful' from a mortal's viewpoint, given that he still has large amounts of folk following him - noteably in Dambrath (where they oftentimes also worship Selune, quite posisbly in unison), but also some of the savage races, such as the gnolls.
Of course, the worship of Malar does not necessarily mean a total evotion to his evil side. Malar represents many things, some of which are, at their basis, neutral aspects of nature.
But a darker 'fight fire with fire' kind of NMP would likely consider Malar's threat - moral wise - of less import.If they are sufficiently divorced from Selune as to not have the more valient clerics (or invokers, or paladins) among them, then they might even consider cooperating with Malarites, as long as they fight against a common enemy?

Gomez,
who ordered Downshadow... should be in the shop next week.

Edited by - gomez on 13 Apr 2009 15:59:54
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2009 :  16:16:54  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage  Click to see Chosen of Moradin's MSN Messenger address Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Erik.

The link of the short story need a little fix, in your blog.

I will read it when I go back to home.

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3532 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2009 :  16:31:14  Show Profile  Send The Red Walker a Yahoo! Message Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aw Erik, did you leave on your Dwarf-Filter again??

Darn it let my friend in!!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3532 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2009 :  16:49:09  Show Profile  Send The Red Walker a Yahoo! Message Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sweet! I shall redirect folks.

Grim Statue image looks particularly nice on this page.

Cheers

Nice story, I would love to read more about him.

And that Statue is clearly radiant, not grim at all!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2009 :  18:40:04  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Moradin

Hey Erik.

The link of the short story need a little fix, in your blog.

I will read it when I go back to home.

Woah, YEAH it does. Fixed! (I hope!)

@RW: Who knows? There might be more about the first Shadowbane later. We'll see how successful Downshadow ends up being.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2009 :  18:56:13  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage  Click to see Chosen of Moradin's MSN Messenger address Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Congratulations to Rino for win the contest!!!

Tymora favor the bold... and the good scribes too.

Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2009 :  19:21:33  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One brief question:
How do you pronounce Drovesm?
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2009 :  19:34:54  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The way *I* pronounce it is:

Dro (rhymes with "snow) + VES (like "vest") + mmm (like mmm-mmm, good)

Probably doesn't particularly matter in the grand scheme of things (as he gets turned into ashy bits pretty quick), but that's how I intended it.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2009 :  20:57:46  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Moradin

Congratulations to Rino for win the contest!!!

Tymora favor the bold... and the good scribes too.

I won?

That makes my day!

I'll send my address to you in short order, Erik...

EDIT: Done. And Chosen of Moradin, I read the nice compliments you left on the blog--thank you.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 14 Apr 2009 01:19:33
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2009 :  01:36:21  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage  Click to see Chosen of Moradin's MSN Messenger address Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

Aw Erik, did you leave on your Dwarf-Filter again??

Darn it let my friend in!!

Heh!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

I won?

That makes my day!

I'll send my address to you in short order, Erik...

EDIT: Done. And Chosen of Moradin, I read the nice compliments you left on the blog--thank you.

You're welcome, RF! It“s all well deserved: the praise, and the prize.

Edited by - Chosen of Moradin on 14 Apr 2009 03:08:23
Go to Top of Page

Lirdolin
Learned Scribe

Germany
192 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2009 :  22:13:31  Show Profile  Visit Lirdolin's Homepage Send Lirdolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Erik.
I got Downshadow delivered to my door today and being a fast reader already done with it.
Although I'm not really a fan of the Post-Spellplague Realms, 'Downshadow' really captures Waterdeeps and the 'Old' Realms spirit (especially by bringing back one or two of the old residents), making it the second Post-SP read I enjoyed (the other being 'Blackstaff Tower').
Do you already know if other stories featuring these characters are planned?
I hope Shadowbane will continue his nightly crusade somehow (very Batman-like)
What happend/will happen to Lady Ilira Nathalan after we last saw her in Downshadow might also be of interest to some people ;)
I'm also already guessing about the nature of Fayne (does the race starts with an f?) and her patron (here several theories actually, one divine, one fiendish, one mortal) and his connection to Ilira.
High hopes also on that the joke Fayne made about Myrin's true nature was prophetic and that there is a reason Fayne's patron tells her about 'the mad mage who tried to avert the spellplague'.

Best Wishes
Lirdolin
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2009 :  22:34:42  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met, Lirdolin--make yourself most welcome here in my humble sage's office. (Don't mind the sexy elf girls dancing in the back room.)

quote:
Originally posted by Lirdolin

Although I'm not really a fan of the Post-Spellplague Realms, 'Downshadow' really captures Waterdeeps and the 'Old' Realms spirit (especially by bringing back one or two of the old residents), making it the second Post-SP read I enjoyed (the other being 'Blackstaff Tower').

An honor, sir. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

I'm most gratified to hear the phrase "captures Waterdeep's and the Old Realms' spirit," as that was very much what I was going for. I wanted to show that this new world is less different from the old world than you'd think, and I--at least--will always be writing out of a rich tradition steeped in lore and history, which I fully intend to turn into excellent tales that can be enjoyed by readers young in realmslore and old sages alike.

I'm glad it worked for you in that way.

quote:
Do you already know if other stories featuring these characters are planned?

I have several ideas, but no relevant contracts have been signed as yet. We'll just have to see what materializes.

quote:
I hope Shadowbane will continue his nightly crusade somehow (very Batman-like)

These is a bit of a Batman-vibe, isn't there? I won't deny that that was an influence--I am a particular fan of the dark knight. I think of it as an homage.

As for Shadowbane in particular--who knows what the future may hold? It seems unlikely he'll be stalking the streets of Waterdeep immediately, as he's got something (someone) important to find first . . . I hope we'll get the chance to find out.

quote:
What happend/will happen to Lady Ilira Nathalan after we last saw her in Downshadow might also be of interest to some people ;)

Heh heh, I suspect so. Particularly the revelation of her identity will be significant to some, and the changes that a century has wrought upon her (powers, her surname, the events of Myrin's dream sequence, etc). I do hope to explore that--at least in part--in a future book.

What I *hope* I pulled off in this book was avoiding the Depths of Madness trap where I seem to have hinted that I was going to *explain* all these mysteries and then when I of course didn't--because I had and still have more story to tell--it felt a bit unfinished.

quote:
I'm also already guessing about the nature of Fayne (does the race starts with an f?) and her patron (here several theories actually, one divine, one fiendish, one mortal) and his connection to Ilira.

I won't confirm or deny anything at this point, but keep speculating--I suspect you're close to the mark. And about Fayne's race . . . F is an excellent initial letter.

quote:
High hopes also on that the joke Fayne made about Myrin's true nature was prophetic

Heh. My editor and I had a bit of a tussle about that--I'm pleased with how it ended up (that is, clearly a joke but also ambiguous as to what it foreshadows).

quote:
and that there is a reason Fayne's patron tells her about 'the mad mage who tried to avert the spellplague'.

I will assure you that there certainly is such a reason. As to what the reason is . . . well. We'll see.

Thank you for your feedback, and I'm glad you enjoyed. Keep reading, and stop by the Book Club threads if you like--there will almost certainly be more hints that come out of those conversations.

Cheers

P.S. to Lirdolin, Red Walker, Sage, et al: I'm also in the habit of encouraging folks who enjoy the book to consider writing a review to post on Amazon. I'm a lowly, fledgling writer, and the best way to build up a readership and spread the word is through recommendations from other readers.

(Not to mention it ups the chance that I will name a walk-on character after you in a later book. )

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Erethar
Seeker

Germany
20 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2009 :  22:35:34  Show Profile  Visit Erethar's Homepage Send Erethar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry I bothered you about shipping overseas and then didn't even post in the contest, but I wasn't at home over the holidays and as I got back on the net the contest was over.

But on the bright side, while I was away Depths of madness arrived and I will plunge into as soon as possible!
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2009 :  22:37:46  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cool! I hope you enjoy, Erethar.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Lirdolin
Learned Scribe

Germany
192 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2009 :  23:18:55  Show Profile  Visit Lirdolin's Homepage Send Lirdolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well met, Lirdolin--make yourself most welcome here in my humble sage's office. (Don't mind the sexy elf girls dancing in the back room.)

Although Lirdolin ‘Lil’ Lacūva is a female half-drow beauty she enjoys sexy elf-girls quite alot. And I myself don't mind either

quote:
These is a bit of a Batman-vibe, isn't there? I won't deny that that was an influence--I am a particular fan of the dark knight. I think of it as an homage.

I could almost picture a certain scene (complete with classic Batman Animated soundtrack) from Batman Beyond where the old Bruce Wayne wearing an grey and black Exo-Bat-suit battled Inque, whenever Shadowbane charged into battle. And that's absolutly not a bad thing for me

quote:
I'm also in the habit of encouraging folks who enjoy the book to consider writing a review to post on Amazon.

No problem, using a little copy-paste, adding a few words and seconds later there is a review on Amazon Germany.

Lirdolin

Edited by - Lirdolin on 14 Apr 2009 23:46:55
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2009 :  02:47:47  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My thanks, gracious lady.

And I've never actually seen an episode of Batman Beyond, I don't believe (that's an animated show, right?) but I remember the classic animated series quite fondly.

It's kind of a coincidence that The Dark Knight came out after I'd already written the book, because I saw a number of parallels.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 64 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000