Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Erik Scott de Bie
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 53

Teneck
Learned Scribe

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2009 :  16:41:45  Show Profile  Visit Teneck's Homepage Send Teneck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok I will scamper out after work and see if my local bookstore has them.
Are they all still in print? Or can I order them from you if my store doesn't have them?

"Go ahead...Sleep in the church...the vampires can't get ya in the church" Any DM...any time.

"He's like a trained ape...without the training"
Simon after Jane trashed the Med lab
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2009 :  21:55:33  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, you *can* get them from me, but it's more immediate to go out and pick them up at the store. Definitely try there first.

AFAIK, all three are still in print. I've had good luck asking if there were any in stock, if I couldn't find it on the shelf.

Realms of the Elves (which has a novella from me, featuring the first appearance of Fox-at-Twilight, and is a great anthology besides) is recently out of print, so if you happen upon a copy at the store, I might suggest you pick that up as well. Good stuff from several of us Realms writers.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2009 :  09:28:41  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd still want to see more Fox at twilight....

which leaves me to wonder why everybody has to have a spellscarred character in their books..... and done to a well thought out character.... anyway.
if you dont mind would you pass something on to Miss Jones for me, tell her I finished City of the Dead, and while it was good, I did not enjoy it as much as Blackstaff Tower, Downshadow(which had 2 spell scarred and more), mistshore( which also had 2 and more spell scarred) as it read like a mystery novel.

who done its, are well get old, not as old though as the Clue movie from back in the 80s.

it was the old guy in the yard with a book.....

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2009 :  15:22:57  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

I'd still want to see more Fox at twilight....

And I'd like to show it to ya.

quote:
which leaves me to wonder why everybody has to have a spellscarred character in their books..... and done to a well thought out character.... anyway.

I suspect that a number of us wanted to use spellscarred characters in our books because it was new, really--a cool new dimension to add to your characters. Also, it fit the active themes of the novels (particularly Downshadow and Mistshore) really well. I don't recall any spellscarred characters in Blackstaff Tower, though there were a LOT of characters in that book, providing us a very rich portrait of the city in the old, classic Eddie-Romp style.

As for why Twilight has been spellscarred, well--on the one hand, I needed to show clear changes over the course of 100 years (and this one is very clear). Secondly, the spellscar adds an important dimension to her character that I felt was lacking in the past--the fundamental dilemma (not being able to touch anyone) fits with her character in dastardly and wonderful ways. Thirdly, it allows me to tell some pretty awesome stories about her.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2009 :  17:03:09  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
do tell...... even short stories..

then tell more on Shadowbane.

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Teneck
Learned Scribe

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2009 :  17:16:51  Show Profile  Visit Teneck's Homepage Send Teneck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I promised yesterday I went on a quest for your books last night and I was able to pick up Ghostwalker and Downshadow (I got the rest of the series that Downshadow is in as well).

Just want you to know Ghostwalker is to blame for my red/at half mast eyes this morning. I love the driven/obsessed character motivation. I have tried to convey that type of motivation for some NPC's in my adventures but I haven't seem anyone capture it well enough to use as an example (till now ) So Ghostwalker will now be required reading for my players in my ongoing campaign.
I was only able to get to about half way last night but I had to sacrifice 3-4 hrs sleep for it. SOOOOO worth it though.

One of the big disappointments of the day was I couldn't get a copy of Depths of Madness. I was interested in that one the most (just my usual luck I guess...have to pray to Tymora a wee bit harder).

Ok small rant here...

WHY....OH WHY....Does the bookstore think the only author for Forgotten Realms is R.A.S. I know he has done some outstanding work, and has written a wagon load of novels...BUT 90% of the FR books in the store were HIS. ARRRRGGGGHHHHHH !!!!!!!

ok rant over...big breath...

Lastly I thought you should know, I went to a used book store first...and low and behold...there were at least 2 copies of the other "Fighter" books at the store...but not one of yours...so that tells me people are hanging on to your books instead of reading then dumping them

I will post more after I finish Ghost and Down...but so far....EXCELLENT read...thank you.

"Go ahead...Sleep in the church...the vampires can't get ya in the church" Any DM...any time.

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2009 :  17:21:21  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think bookstores carry a lot of RAS because: 1) he has written a LOT of FR novels (more than many of us combined), and 2) his novels are consistently NYT bestsellers and move a lot of copies. It's just good business.

I have also had no luck finding any of my novels at used bookstores. Part of it is, I suspect, that they're comparatively new, but also I take it as a compliment that people tend to hang onto my work. I mean, they're too thin (at ~320 pages) to use as door stops, right?

And I'm glad you're enjoying Ghostwalker so much--and you've my sympathies that it's costing you sleep. And, of course, I take that as a serious compliment.

Look for an homage to Ghostwalker in Downshadow as well. Homages to a LOT of Realms novels, actually.

CHeers

Erik Scott de Bie

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 17 Jul 2009 17:23:36
Go to Top of Page

Teneck
Learned Scribe

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2009 :  17:41:25  Show Profile  Visit Teneck's Homepage Send Teneck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

I have also had no luck finding any of my novels at used bookstores. Part of it is, I suspect, that they're comparatively new, but also I take it as a compliment that people tend to hang onto my work. I mean, they're too thin (at ~320 pages) to use as door stops, right?

Oh yeah...about that whole ~320 pages ....I know you have restrictions on length dictated to you by WotC or your publisher...but I sincerely hope you are fighting back as hard as possible. There seems like there is so much more to tell in the story line. I could be jumping to conclusions here as I am only half done with Ghostwalker, but I would like a lot more detail...

Would it help if I said please ???

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2009 :  18:28:09  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Check out the Ghostwalker book club discussions for some insights. Also, feel free to ask me anything--I may or may not have a reply!

Ghostwalker Companion Story: Wayfarer

Ghostwalker Prelude through ch 3

Chapters 4-7

Chapters 8-11

Chapters 12-15

Chapters 16-18

Chapters 19-21

Chapters 22 through Postlude (a good place to ask "now that I've read the book" questions)

Cheers

P.S. These have nothing to do with Ghostwalker, but they're links I wanted to grab while I was at it:

The Greater Treasure discussion thread

End of Depths of Madness discussion thread

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Teneck
Learned Scribe

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2009 :  19:00:43  Show Profile  Visit Teneck's Homepage Send Teneck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WOW...
Ok...I feel better now with a bit more back story.
It does put all the character interactions in a different light having read Wayfarer. Had to control myself and not read the spoilers though.

Very different take on Meris(sp?) now, I guess you could almost say that he is evil because that was his only option besides insanity? Hmm..

Going to have to re-evaluate the half I have read so far.
Thanks Eric

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2009 :  20:31:37  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wayfarer was an interesting piece to write, because:

1) I wrote it substantially *after* I wrote the rest of the book, so I'd had some distance and time to reflect on how the characters developed and who they really were. Speaking from my own experience, no matter how well you outline, you won't even begin to get to know your characters until you start the actual writing . . . and you don't really *know* them until the end of the novel.

2) I wrote it so that it could be read before, after, or during the novel (the way a good companion story *should* work, IMO). So your experience with the story varies from someone who hadn't read any of the book (in which case it serves mostly as a teaser and tone piece), which is different from someone who had read the whole thing (a different perspective that fills in some blanks).

How was reading the story for you? Did it help/harm/enhance your reading experience?

Cheers

P.S. So far, I've written companion stories for all the books I've published through WotC. If you're itching to read Depths, you might check out its companion story: "That Time of the Tenday" (which, I'll explain, is a play on "that time of the month"). Check this link: http://eriksdb.livejournal.com/190872.html

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Teneck
Learned Scribe

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2009 :  20:44:08  Show Profile  Visit Teneck's Homepage Send Teneck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would have to say that it enhanced the story...an insight to the other characters feelings and motivations is always a good thing.

I am really torn now on feeling pity for Meris for the way he was brought up (the description of his horror at what happened is chilling compared to how he turns out). And then wanting to hate/dislike him for giving up his youthful principals.

Very well done as far as shining some light on how even a good or neutral character can associate with and even party with an evil character.

This makes little curiosity lights pop off in me skull...and there isn't much room in there for that

Can't wait to finish it up now. And then re-read it.

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2009 :  00:13:49  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Teneck

Very well done as far as shining some light on how even a good or neutral character can associate with and even party with an evil character.
I'm curious who you're referring to, here? Do you mean Meris (who is, at least at the outset, ambiguous in his goodness, or do you mean Dharan Greyt, allied with all those villains in his old adventuring party? Or are you talking someone else?

I prefer to keep good/evil a little shady, compared to a good bit of mainstream fantasy. For instance, Aragorn is always good, Drizzt is always good . . . I try to keep my morality a little more relative, more in the George R.R. Martin vein. Not everyone in my books belongs entirely to one side or another (those some are closer than others).

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Teneck
Learned Scribe

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2009 :  00:32:07  Show Profile  Visit Teneck's Homepage Send Teneck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Teneck

I'm curious who you're referring to, here? Do you mean Meris (who is, at least at the outset, ambiguous in his goodness, or do you mean Dharan Greyt, allied with all those villains in his old adventuring party? Or are you talking someone else?

I prefer to keep good/evil a little shady, compared to a good bit of mainstream fantasy. For instance, Aragorn is always good, Drizzt is always good . . . I try to keep my morality a little more relative, more in the George R.R. Martin vein. Not everyone in my books belongs entirely to one side or another (those some are closer than others).

Cheers

I am referring to Greyt's friends (Drex in particular) in the prelude, they didn't seem all to thrilled with what went down or even how Greyt handled the situation. But they stuck with it nonetheless. I suppose that can show how not all evil is all black...shades of gray and even white can show up. I suppose I may be reading loyalty for ones fellows as "good" but that is not always the case.

As for how the whole prelude read...VERY interesting...I am glad you got the chance to do this bit.

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2009 :  10:34:41  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
a scary thought came to mind Mr. De Bie.

you dont have plans do you to put current shadowbane in the the Grey Hands group do you??

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2009 :  15:35:45  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You mean Force Grey? (little nod to Steve, there)

Well, Shadowbane is scrappy, anti-social, and works outside the law . . . pretty much perfect for membership. Granted, he's probably not powerful enough for the Grey Hands. I see them as high-paragon or epic-level, and Shadowbane is high-heroic. I suspect he would branch into low-paragon if he appeared in a trilogy, but that's still fairly low.

Also not sure if the Grey Hands are still around in 4e. I haven't seen anything to confirm it either way.

But assuming they are, a good question would be, if Shadowbane got out hand, would the Grey Hands come after him? (It would be like the Avengers deciding to take out Spider-man.)

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Teneck
Learned Scribe

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2009 :  19:08:22  Show Profile  Visit Teneck's Homepage Send Teneck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So after reading Ghostwalker and now re-reading Downshadow (play concepts of a Rouge/Pallie..wooot).
I have to ask...Any NEW projects you are working on?
Continuations or new story lines?

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2009 :  21:08:54  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not currently working on any WotC novels (though I'm hopeful!), but I do have a couple projects I'm working on. I have a story in the forthcoming Realms of the Dead anthology (Jan 2010), I am currently writing two articles for DDI, and I am a contributing author in an as-yet-unannounced sourcebook (so no other hints here).

Any of these things may or may not connect to my other work, but you know me . . .

I'm also working on selling two non-D&D novels to places other than WotC, and I'm about a third of the way into yet a third novel (again, not WotC).

Not to mention my 40-hour-a-week day job . . .

Busy busy.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Teneck
Learned Scribe

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2009 :  21:15:29  Show Profile  Visit Teneck's Homepage Send Teneck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So then...sleep is optional?

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2009 :  21:22:01  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can't sleep . . . clowns will eat me.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Teneck
Learned Scribe

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2009 :  21:26:13  Show Profile  Visit Teneck's Homepage Send Teneck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So is the anthology story a short story?

Can you say anything about it?

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2009 :  21:44:23  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, it's a short story, and only what I've said so far, which is that it is called "A Love Story in Parts" and that it is sort of a dark romantic comedy.

It features a brand new set of characters, but there may be tie-ins to my previous work. As I said, you know me.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Teneck
Learned Scribe

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2009 :  21:56:13  Show Profile  Visit Teneck's Homepage Send Teneck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yes, it's a short story, and only what I've said so far, which is that it is called "A Love Story in Parts" and that it is sort of a dark romantic comedy.

It features a brand new set of characters, but there may be tie-ins to my previous work. As I said, you know me.

Cheers

This is true...I am reading Downshadow again just so I can go slow and try to catch all the pre-spellplague tie in and tribute stuff you slid in there. I think there is at least 10 or 15 in there...some even doubled up...part of why I loved the story so much. It really helps tie in to the 4E scenario when you get a little "then to now" history.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2009 :  00:52:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're reading it again!?! I've not even had the chance to read it once.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2009 :  01:14:24  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Better get on that, Sage--if you can wrestle it from Lady K . . . an endeavor whose danger is exceeded only by its fun.

@Teneck: I'm glad it's working for you. I tried to put in just enough--not too much, not too little.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Teneck
Learned Scribe

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2009 :  15:47:59  Show Profile  Visit Teneck's Homepage Send Teneck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Better get on that, Sage--if you can wrestle it from Lady K . . . an endeavor whose danger is exceeded only by its fun.

@Teneck: I'm glad it's working for you. I tried to put in just enough--not too much, not too little.

Cheers

The balance seems right on the amount you put in...actually it isn't the amount that matters in this kind of thing, more of a matter of HOW they are inserted in the story. The tributes and nods to previous story lines are placed in Downshadow very carefully, they never have a feeling of "Hit you over the head", but more of a you will catch it if you read it carefully. And it is well worth it to re-read just to find them all. Subtlety is what is more important then quantity, and you managed it quite nicely.

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2009 :  16:18:57  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glad it works for you.

I like to think of the Realms as a living, breathing world, where events in one place have an effect (small or not) on another. And my metafictional side figures that if *we* tell stories about the Realms, then the folk of the Realms tell stories about the realms much the way we tell our own stories about our own world, some of which are historical accounts, some of which are mythic in proportion. And I don't see why some of those wouldn't overlap.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2009 :  19:10:40  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You mean Force Grey? (little nod to Steve, there)

Well, Shadowbane is scrappy, anti-social, and works outside the law . . . pretty much perfect for membership. Granted, he's probably not powerful enough for the Grey Hands. I see them as high-paragon or epic-level, and Shadowbane is high-heroic. I suspect he would branch into low-paragon if he appeared in a trilogy, but that's still fairly low.

Also not sure if the Grey Hands are still around in 4e. I haven't seen anything to confirm it either way.

But assuming they are, a good question would be, if Shadowbane got out hand, would the Grey Hands come after him? (It would be like the Avengers deciding to take out Spider-man.)

Cheers

ummm according to The Sage, there was a mention of a mage in grey which accroding to him was a note of the Grey Hands.
they'd approach him, and they would start with usual taunt, we can do this the easy way or the hard way. My little group here, we prefer the hard way.....

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2009 :  20:16:21  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, if Sage swings by, he can point that out to me. Personally, I love the concept, so I hope the group survived the timeskip.

As for that confrontation, indeed, that would be a fun one to write. I think in Downshadow he's not powerful/notorious enough to warrant their notice/action. I mean, the watch/guard didn't even really believe he existed until the events of the novel, and even now, it's confined to Rayse and Talanna (who actually saw him in action). It's more likely that (noting her desire to work "outside the law" to "see justice done") Rayse would want him to keep doing what he's doing, as long as she sees it being for the good of the city (sort of Comm. Gordon to Batman).

So many questions to answer . . .

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Teneck
Learned Scribe

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2009 :  20:21:47  Show Profile  Visit Teneck's Homepage Send Teneck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So many questions to answer . . .

So where is a good spot to start bombarding WotC with requests for novel continuations? There are several I have in mind that I would like to see the authors continue.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 53 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000