Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Erik Scott de Bie
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 64

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2008 :  23:29:46  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Nope, totally original. It's kind of Powers meets Watchmen, and thus an homage to both works.
I'm not really all that familiar with Powers. But I've long been a fan of Watchmen. Sounds good.
quote:
My college roommate (who's got mad illustrating skills) and I are working on it, along with a comic that he devised. His will probably be made first, and I hope to be a co-writer with him.
Has your college roommote worked on any commercial art/imagery that we may be familiar with? Or is it all private work at the moment?
quote:
Mordent. I don't think it gets enough love (a Scrooge-like ghost for a domain lord isn't nearly as sexy as a vampire master or a death knight), and with my story, it totally would.
I had a feeling you'd say Mordent. Or even Dementlieu for that matter. And I've yet to see any worthwhile tales featuring Wilfred Godefroy.
quote:
I've run two Game of Thrones d20 games, both of which have gone very well. The first was in-and-around the climax of book 1 (Game of Thrones) and the second was background to book 1. Both of them concerned Arya (my favorite character, for reasons that should probably be obvious).
So the second system of d20 rules for GoT has been released?
quote:
One of my best friends from my high school D&D group tried to get us into Mechwarrior at one point. I made a really cool/sexy female pilot (meep!), but it didn't really go anywhere.
She wasn't Canopian, was she?
quote:
I got bogged down trying to design my own mech--not because I was bored, but because the possibilities were endless and I got lost in a maze of science-fiction/giant-robot fantasy and when I finally found my way out, 3rd edition had come out and we started playing that.
Indeed. I've had a lot on interesting ideas for 'Mech designs [mostly OmniMechs], but actually incorporating those ideas into physical numbers and stats for the 'Mechs is were the process tends to break down.
quote:
Now that I think about it, I *did* once write a short story in the SWU . . . it was during the first of my three writing classes, when I was 13-14 and taking a SF/F writing class at Sacramento State. I don't remember much about the story except it concerned a mercenary/smuggler (meep!) who was trying to escape a complex and saw his nemesis (a female bounty hunter--double meep!) up in a control room and shot her with his blaster, cracking the windows which promptly became red with blood spray.
Suitably gruesome!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2008 :  23:42:10  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've another question for you Erik, this time regarding Ghostwalker.

"The Nightingale's Song." What type of music do you imagine working with something like this?

The reason I'm asking is because I am in a "writing Realms music" frame of mind at the moment [having worked on a specific oboe-piece for an upcoming joint FR/RAVENLOFT campaign], mostly due to my efforts to set some of Danilo's more bawdy ballads [that Elaine generously provided] to music.

I've got a few ideas for tone and theme, mostly deriving from The Nightingale of classical origins. But I'd like to know what possible conception ideas you might have had for setting this song to music when you first wrote it?

I hope to produce a workable result [either as sheet music, or an MP3] that [with your permission] scribes can download from Candlekeep as part of "Milil's Shrine."

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30403 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2008 :  00:10:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

I got bogged down trying to design my own mech--not because I was bored, but because the possibilities were endless and I got lost in a maze of science-fiction/giant-robot fantasy and when I finally found my way out, 3rd edition had come out and we started playing that.
Indeed. I've had a lot on interesting ideas for 'Mech designs [mostly OmniMechs], but actually incorporating those ideas into physical numbers and stats for the 'Mechs is were the process tends to break down.

Y'all are both familiar with the Heavy Metal Pro program, aren't you? That software makes Mech designing a snap.

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2008 :  01:22:03  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Nope, totally original. It's kind of Powers meets Watchmen, and thus an homage to both works.
I'm not really all that familiar with Powers. But I've long been a fan of Watchmen. Sounds good.

I highly recommend Powers. It's my favorite comic.

quote:
Has your college roommote worked on any commercial art/imagery that we may be familiar with? Or is it all private work at the moment?

All private at the moment, as far as I know. He's busy getting his Masters in archeology. Illustration's kind of a hobby with him--but one that he's really, really good at (kinda like me and writing!).

quote:
So the second system of d20 rules for GoT has been released?

Just the one, to my knowledge--I used the same Fantasy Flight(?) system for both games, and it worked ok.

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Y'all are both familiar with the Heavy Metal Pro program, aren't you? That software makes Mech designing a snap.

Oh man--you ARE a MW-geek, aren't you?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Signature of Shameless Self-Promotion +6: Order my sixth novel, Shadow of the Winter King (Amazon, e-signing, Dragonmoon Press)

Also check out my Realms work, most recently Shadowbane: Eye of Justice, out now on e-readers everywhere! (Kindle, Nook)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2008 :  01:43:42  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

He's busy getting his Masters in archeology. Illustration's kind of a hobby with him--but one that he's really, really good at (kinda like me and writing!).
Heh. I was all ready to devote myself to studying archaeology at university back in '95. But the programming bug bite me around the same time as well, and bite hard and sharp so that I couldn't ignore it anymore. [Well, that, and the fact that graduate archaeology students here in Australia are expected to serve at least three-to-four years studying aboriginal artifacts and sites in the extremely arid and hot Australian Outback. And I've never liked the heat in the city, so I can only imagine how well I would've fared in those Outback locations.] So, unfortunately, I've had to devote my interest in archaeology to mostly amateur studies and local organisations set up to assist those whose focus on the subject delves a little deeper than the average "archaeology fan."
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Oh man--you ARE a MW-geek, aren't you?
He's not the only one. HMPro has been a regular feature at my BT gaming table since the first [and highly bug-infested] version.

Edited by - The Sage on 08 Nov 2008 01:45:24
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2008 :  01:44:45  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

"The Nightingale's Song." What type of music do you imagine working with something like this?
I've got a few ideas for tone and theme, mostly deriving from The Nightingale of classical origins. But I'd like to know what possible conception ideas you might have had for setting this song to music when you first wrote it?

Good question, Sage!

When I wrote it, I wasn't writing it as a "song," per se--but really a sort of epic verse/poem sort of thing. It's Arya relating her experience. I didn't originally envision musical accompaniment of any kind--Arya intended it to be acapella.

Which, of course, does not mean that music *isn't* ordinarily applied to it--history is rife with instances of originally non-musical poetry being set to music. When bards perform the Nightingale's Song [which has indeed been performed in my old Realms campaign as part of a bardic music activation], they supplement it with whatever music they think meet.

So what I'm saying is, set it to whatever you think appropriate. The primary focus should be the voice . . . and really you need the full text in Elvish, which obviously I don't know.

The poem's actually a lot, lot longer than what's listed in Ghostwalker--not the Iliad, quite, but it would fill up a good chapbook on its own, if written out entirely. I just picked the best excerpt to end the book.

Downshadow originally contained an easter egg about the place of "The Nightingale's Song" in Faerun's artistic history. But then I wrote it out mostly to save space, so I don't see why I shouldn't mention it otherwise. If you like this lore, by all means, use away!

Arya's "Nightingale's Song" inspired a popular chapbook called "The Ghost and the Maiden" (originally published before the Spellplague and continually told during and after), which on the weight of its sort of hopeful theme and fairy-tale quality has been repeated in a number of different variations (including at least one stage play/opera). Boiled down to its basic fairy-tale roots (in the Grimm's Tales way), the story is pretty well known across the North and the Heartlands among children, features a very strong heroine called The Nightingale, a wayward boogey-man called the Ghostwalker who is ultimately redeemed by the warm light of her heart, and the tale generally ends happily. (There are variations, however, wherein the Ghostwalker is the misunderstood hero, but these are rare.)

Nowadays, it is a little known fact that "The Nightingale" is based on an actual person--Arya Venkyr, a general in the Knights of Silver.

quote:
The reason I'm asking is because I am in a "writing Realms music" frame of mind at the moment [having worked on a specific oboe-piece for an upcoming joint FR/RAVENLOFT campaign], mostly due to my efforts to set some of Danilo's more bawdy ballads [that Elaine generously provided] to music.

A tiny Downshadow teaser: Elaine provided a little bit of input on one fairly small but still very important moment. Just sayin'.

quote:
I hope to produce a workable result [either as sheet music, or an MP3] that [with your permission] scribes can download from Candlekeep as part of "Milil's Shrine."

Hey, cool!

(Not that you need my permission. WotC owns the rights, not me!)

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Signature of Shameless Self-Promotion +6: Order my sixth novel, Shadow of the Winter King (Amazon, e-signing, Dragonmoon Press)

Also check out my Realms work, most recently Shadowbane: Eye of Justice, out now on e-readers everywhere! (Kindle, Nook)
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
2909 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2008 :  01:57:25  Show Profile  Send Lord Karsus an AOL message Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Geeze...Now I feel a bit guilty having never picked up Ghostwalker, yet...

-I'll get right to it. I need to return something, and see if I can find Ed's new novel for a gift anyway, so...(Not that I'm going for his novel more than yours or anything...)

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 08 Nov 2008 01:58:39
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1632 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2008 :  11:06:40  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage  Send Steven Schend a Yahoo! Message Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I just feel old now.

Interesting discussions, Erik, but as I've been working in other people's worlds since you were 8 (sigh), I've a different viewpoint. I'm vastly more enjoying working in my own creator-owned material (more of which I'll be doing soon). After 18 years of being a Realms/most other TMs of TSR-WotC, I think the only setting of someone else's that I'd want to write in would be Marvel or DC--I'd love me a Doctor Strange or Doctor Fate mini-series with Charles Vess or someone like that on art.

I'll admit, though, your reminder above that Hyboria would be an interesting setting; I'm a big Conan fan, and there's a lot to mine in that setting for sure. Currently reading CL Moore's JIREL OF JOIRY stories and having fun there, though I don't know if there's enough to build ramp-off stories therein.

So here's another queston from an old hack, just to go a different direction--If you had the choice to take the reins of an established intellectual property (in any medium) and drive a new direction, which one do you choose and where do you go with it?

Steven
who's hoping to revamp his website and invite all and sundry to check out what he's up to

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2008 :  13:12:40  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

... I think the only setting of someone else's that I'd want to write in would be Marvel or DC--I'd love me a Doctor Strange...
Would you return to the older type Strange Tales for Dr. Strange, or continue with something a little more modern?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2008 :  13:22:38  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"A nightingale in a golden cage..." ... Sorry.
quote:

When I wrote it, I wasn't writing it as a "song," per se--but really a sort of epic verse/poem sort of thing. It's Arya relating her experience. I didn't originally envision musical accompaniment of any kind--Arya intended it to be acapella.
Hmmm... monophony or concertato style?
quote:
Which, of course, does not mean that music *isn't* ordinarily applied to it--history is rife with instances of originally non-musical poetry being set to music. When bards perform the Nightingale's Song [which has indeed been performed in my old Realms campaign as part of a bardic music activation], they supplement it with whatever music they think meet.
I'm thinking simple stringed instruments to start with. Woodwinds and the like may be a little too *heavy* for a piece with a theme like this.
quote:
So what I'm saying is, set it to whatever you think appropriate. The primary focus should be the voice . . . and really you need the full text in Elvish, which obviously I don't know.

The poem's actually a lot, lot longer than what's listed in Ghostwalker--not the Iliad, quite, but it would fill up a good chapbook on its own, if written out entirely. I just picked the best excerpt to end the book.
Any chance I could see the whole poem? It'd actually help me to set music to the excerpt if I can imagine how it relates to the rest of the work.
quote:
Downshadow originally contained an easter egg about the place of "The Nightingale's Song" in Faerun's artistic history. But then I wrote it out mostly to save space, so I don't see why I shouldn't mention it otherwise. If you like this lore, by all means, use away!
Indeed, I will.
quote:
Arya's "Nightingale's Song" inspired a popular chapbook called "The Ghost and the Maiden" (originally published before the Spellplague and continually told during and after), which on the weight of its sort of hopeful theme and fairy-tale quality has been repeated in a number of different variations (including at least one stage play/opera). Boiled down to its basic fairy-tale roots (in the Grimm's Tales way), the story is pretty well known across the North and the Heartlands among children, features a very strong heroine called The Nightingale, a wayward boogey-man called the Ghostwalker who is ultimately redeemed by the warm light of her heart, and the tale generally ends happily. (There are variations, however, wherein the Ghostwalker is the misunderstood hero, but these are rare.)

Nowadays, it is a little known fact that "The Nightingale" is based on an actual person--Arya Venkyr, a general in the Knights of Silver.
Good. This will help me work around the concept of how the poem should play out in musical terms.

I suppose I could even tinker with possible [and slight] tonal alterations to reflect variations in how the tale is told across the North and throughout the Heartlands.
quote:
A tiny Downshadow teaser: Elaine provided a little bit of input on one fairly small but still very important moment. Just sayin'.
As if I wasn't already eagerly anticipating this book. Thanks Erik!

Edited by - The Sage on 08 Nov 2008 13:24:40
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1632 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2008 :  17:47:24  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage  Send Steven Schend a Yahoo! Message Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

... I think the only setting of someone else's that I'd want to write in would be Marvel or DC--I'd love me a Doctor Strange...
Would you return to the older type Strange Tales for Dr. Strange, or continue with something a little more modern?

I'd probably go old-school just to have the excuse to go back to the funky Ditkoverses.

And yes, I think the Dark Dimension could stand some exploration and expansion.....

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
2908 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2008 :  17:53:37  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Dr. Strange FTW!
-Now I understand why Khelben always reminded me of Dr. Strange.

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 08 Nov 2008 17:56:02
Go to Top of Page

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2008 :  17:53:55  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'd probably go old-school just to have the excuse to go back to the funky Ditkoverses.

And yes, I think the Dark Dimension could stand some exploration and expansion.....

Dr Strange isn't getting as much love as he should. He needs his own title again.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2008 :  00:01:33  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Now you're on track. Ditko is a personal favorite of mine.
quote:
Don't forget Nightmare's realm too. You can't have a Ditko-inspired Dr. Strange tale without Nightmare!

Edited by - The Sage on 09 Nov 2008 00:04:22
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2008 :  00:02:53  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Na-Gang

Dr Strange isn't getting as much love as he should. He needs his own title again.
There is *some* speculation that Strange will be receiving another limited series sometime next year, based on previous Illuminati events, and because of the outcome of the Skrulls attempted "Secret Invasion." But I've not heard anything more about that since March of this year.

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1632 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2008 :  15:46:37  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage  Send Steven Schend a Yahoo! Message Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahem. Apologies, Erik, for hijacking your thread here, dude.

We'll just go talk Doc Strange over in my thread now. <where's that embarrassed smiley icon?>

SES

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2008 :  17:22:22  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Any chance I could see the whole poem? It'd actually help me to set music to the excerpt if I can imagine how it relates to the rest of the work.

Good question, Sage . . . unfortunately, I don't have it all written per se--bits and pieces are all I have. I'll PM you about it--watch for that!
quote:

After 18 years of being a Realms/most other TMs of TSR-WotC, I think the only setting of someone else's that I'd want to write in would be Marvel or DC--I'd love me a Doctor Strange or Doctor Fate mini-series with Charles Vess or someone like that on art.

Good points, SS!

Self-owned universes are indeed quite awesome. Two of the three novels I've written this year have been in worlds of my own making (the third obviously being Downshadow).
I don't find writing in a self-made world all that different from a shared world--I make up/harvest the elements I want, and write exactly the sort of story I want. Never met any hurdles in FR canon--I work *with* it, not against it.

I like both styles, really. (Though of course when I want to get around the critical bias against shared world fantasy, well, sole-proprietor worlds seems the way to go.)

(And I would love to see you behind a Dr. Strange comic Steve--be it one issue or fifty! )
quote:
I'll admit, though, your reminder above that Hyboria would be an interesting setting; I'm a big Conan fan, and there's a lot to mine in that setting for sure.

Totally!
quote:
So here's another queston from an old hack, just to go a different direction--If you had the choice to take the reins of an established intellectual property (in any medium) and drive a new direction, which one do you choose and where do you go with it?

That's a very, very interesting question that invites a somewhat politic answer. But I'll try to be brutally honest instead!

The setting that I most like which I'd be excited to steer (with appropriate advisors and partnerships) is the Realms, really. Not to say I don't agree with or support the recent changes to the setting--some I really like, some I really don't, as is wont to happen whenever there's change. I wanted to seize the Realms way before 4e was announced--whenever there was a change I didn't like, I said to myself, "man, I would have done it THIS way!"

And y'all know what? I did!

My tabletop Realms is/was not nearly the same as the canonical realms. Come play in one of my games, and the setting will look a bit different from what you're used to . . . it'll be *my* Realms.

And that's the magic of a game world . . . you CAN seize it for your own purposes. Play up the aspects you want, downplay or altogether avoid those you don't.

As far as *writing* in the as-is Realms goes, I like to fancy that I've always had this ability to integrate my stuff seamlessly into the canon. I take stuff I like, avoid stuff I don't, and it's all rock and role*. All my stories in the setting grow within the existing canon, so I'm not sure it would make sense for me to want to *push* things in one direction or another. Obviously I want to be able to tell some of the stories I've got in mind, but I'm quite content to integrate them into the existing direction.

There are many things I like about the 4e FR as well as many things I don't--as I could say about previous editions of the setting, as I'm sure I'll be saying about future editions. That's just the nature of the beast when you have a setting as diverse/panoramic as the Realms.

Cheers

(*See what I did there? I'm such a geek.)

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2008 :  16:01:28  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For those who are interested, here's a snippet of discussion about Twilight in Depths over at Worlds of D&D.

I figured it was only fair, since I linked a bunch from that scroll.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2008 :  22:51:12  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

For those who are interested, here's a snippet of discussion about Twilight in Depths over at Worlds of D&D.

I figured it was only fair, since I linked a bunch from that scroll.

Cheers

Oooh! That might just be reason enough for me to dust off my profile over there and start posting again.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
2909 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2008 :  05:18:06  Show Profile  Send Lord Karsus an AOL message Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-I'll admit, I picked up Ghostwalker last week (or the week before?) when I mentioned I was going to get it. It's been sitting there collecting dust, though. I'll be honest, the autobiography of the Dalai Lama beat you out, Erik, though I'm sure you'll understand. If it makes you feel a little better, though, you did beat out Darth Bane for my next book to read. Him and his apprentice are just gonna have to wait, that's how it is.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
14524 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2008 :  06:02:27  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As much as I love both DC and Marvel comics, I don't think I'd want to write for them. I think my #1 setting (if I would and could write a novel) after FR would be the World of the Young Kingdoms, from the Elric stories of Michael Moorcock.

I wouldn't want to write about Elric himself - just some of the lesser-developed regions. Hyboria would be cool too - Stygia is just TOO awesome.

And if I had to pick a Sci-Fi universe, it wouldn't be one of the 'biggies' - it would be in Larry Niven's Known Space. I'd love to do a short story in one of those Man-Kzin war anthologies.

Sorry for the 'interlude' - just some of my random thoughts and what not.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 19 Nov 2008 06:03:07
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2008 :  06:25:10  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

I'll be honest, the autobiography of the Dalai Lama beat you out, Erik, though I'm sure you'll understand.
Is that Freedom In Exile?

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2008 :  15:04:54  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-I'll admit, I picked up Ghostwalker last week (or the week before?) when I mentioned I was going to get it.

Awesome! I hope you enjoy.
quote:
It's been sitting there collecting dust, though. I'll be honest, the autobiography of the Dalai Lama beat you out, Erik, though I'm sure you'll understand.

Aww jeez. Well, I *guess* that's ok . . .

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
2909 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2008 :  15:54:06  Show Profile  Send Lord Karsus an AOL message Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I'll be honest, the autobiography of the Dalai Lama beat you out, Erik, though I'm sure you'll understand.

-My Land and My People.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2008 :  23:39:45  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

-My Land and My People.

Ah. That must be the more recent release. Thanks.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 64 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000