Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Erik Scott de Bie
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 53

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2008 :  17:22:17  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Thank you for the pseudo-Elven.

quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

I read that you liked Depths a bit, Dags--have you posted a review of that one anywhere?

Cheers

-No, I haven't. Since I started writing reviews (I don't particularly know why, either. Nothing better to do, I suppose), I've only been using novels that I have recently read. So, all of the things that I've reviewed thus far were either things that I just recently read, or recently reread. I don't want to potentially comment on things that the haze of time has ripened or ruined in my mind. That said, I was commenting that, with the completion of this book, I have no other Forgotten Realms books to read, currently. I am reading a Darth Bane: Rule of Two[i/], and [i]The Third Eye, but I normally read two or three books concurrently anyway. I might pick that one up again.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 12 Dec 2008 17:22:59
Go to Top of Page

D-brane
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
140 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2008 :  23:32:27  Show Profile  Visit D-brane's Homepage Send D-brane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

I am reading a Darth Bane: Rule of Two[i/], and [i]The Third Eye, but I normally read two or three books concurrently anyway. I might pick that one up again.
Can I ask . . . How do you manage to read more than one book at a time? It is a weird question I know, but I have tried to do this myself many times and have often met with defeat.

Any tips for those interested in borrowing such a skill?

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

Edited by - D-brane on 12 Dec 2008 23:33:11
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2008 :  01:32:30  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not Dags, and the question was posed at him, but I'll answer anyway, 'cuz it's my scroll (nyah!).

Aside from being able to compartmentalize (reserve thoughts about differen subjects for different parts of your conscious mind), I can generally read two or more books at the same time in a certain set of circumstances, not all of which but at least one has to be true:

1) The books are very different, genre-wise/thematically: I can read a sci-fi and a fantasy, or a biography and a spy thriller, but I can't read a Martin book and a Erikson book, for instance, at the same time.

2) I read the books in vastly different locations: One is my work book, to be read on bathroom/coffee/rest breaks (Swords of Dragonfire) and one is to be read at home/before I go to sleep at night (Kavalier and Clay). Also, these books are very different genre-wise (see #1), even if they're both technically fantasy.

3) One is assigned reading: I can always read assigned reading separately from pleasure reading. And usually that makes me read more for pleasure, as pleasure reading is a relaxation.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2008 :  04:46:05  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
:: Casts Karsus' Avatar, targeted at ESDB's scroll ::

-How do I do it? I don't know. It's not something that I "trained" myself to do, or anything. I started the habit about a month or so ago. My birthday is in October, and for my gifts, I got $100 in total in Barnes & Noble gift cards. In a single trip, I spent most of that, and picked up six or seven books that I was interested in. I began reading one, then, during a trip where I knew I was going to be waiting in the car, I accidentally grabbed another- but started reading it concurrently, of course. And, continue, and there you go.

-It's a habit that I might have picked up during high school, maybe. You know, in English class, you have books that you need to read, as Erik alluded to, and those books are invariably never Forgotten Realms books, so I'd have to read those, plus my Forgotten Realms books, so...

:: Karsus' Avatar ends, and I die. Again. ::

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 13 Dec 2008 04:47:08
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2008 :  05:18:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I tend to do the same thing, though I'm using only reading one novel at a time. Usually I have a single novel that I'm reading, plus at least one magazine or game book. The game books I usually read when I've only got a couple minutes, or when I'm retreating to my "reading room". The novel I read just about any other time.

Right now, I'm reading Heir to the Empire, Warmachine: Superiority, Ptolus, and Love Hina the Novel Volume 2. I'm mostly focused on the first two.

Oh, and though I've fallen out of the habit of late, I also read manga when I'm on my exercise bike.

Now what I thought was weird was what my friend Gino used to do: he'd be reading two different places in the same novel at once! He'd read a chapter or two, put in his bookmark, and then immediately resume reading several chapters later!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2008 :  07:15:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rather than take this scroll further off-topic, I've created a new one for this particular side-discussion. You can find it here.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 13 Dec 2008 07:18:17
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2009 :  00:35:57  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know there is not much of anything about Downshadow you can say that hasn't been said so far....but....can you let us in on how it's "Soundtrack" is shaping up in the devious mind of yours?

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2009 :  01:10:21  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How well you know me.

Mmm. A bit of this, bit of that.

More to be revealed when the time comes--I could mention it early, but then the bands I mention might give too much away.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2009 :  01:21:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

I know there is not much of anything about Downshadow you can say that hasn't been said so far....but....can you let us in on how it's "Soundtrack" is shaping up in the devious mind of yours?

Heh. I was thinking about this the other day. In fact, I was going to hit Erik about it on his blog, but then thought against it because it may have been something he wanted to keep silent on for the time being.

No doubt I'll have my own listing to work with once I've read Downshadow. [And a review this time, I think]. *winks at Erik*

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2009 :  02:14:29  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Only so as not to prejudice opinions--or to give away things beforehand.

Come April, I suspect I'll be posting a playlist that I used when writing the novel. In the meantime, you might listen to 3 Days Grace's One-X album, or Stone Sour (either/both their albums).

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2009 :  03:37:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh. I'm not familiar with either of those. Guess it's off to the music store for me then.

Edited by - The Sage on 24 Jan 2009 03:38:59
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2009 :  12:43:18  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No Cat Stevens then?

Go to Top of Page

ErskineF
Learned Scribe

USA
330 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2009 :  15:42:54  Show Profile  Visit ErskineF's Homepage Send ErskineF a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

No Cat Stevens then?

Oh great. I'm gonna have that song stuck in my head all day.

--
Erskine Fincher
http://forgotten-realms.wandering-dwarf.com/index.php
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2009 :  16:12:50  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is the SECOND time he's done that . . .

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2009 :  17:08:30  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

This is the SECOND time he's done that . . .

Cheers

It's like déją vous all over again

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2009 :  01:00:03  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do you write any "quick hitters" of just a few pages or so?

Just curious.....

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2009 :  02:51:57  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sure--all the time.

I tend to like writing longer pieces as opposed to shorter, but I've done real quick bits. (Did you have something in mind, mayhap?)

Also I've been known to dabble in collaborative story-writing, where we take turns writing a few pages.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2009 :  04:27:09  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sure--all the time.

I tend to like writing longer pieces as opposed to shorter, but I've done real quick bits. (Did you have something in mind, mayhap?)

Also I've been known to dabble in collaborative story-writing, where we take turns writing a few pages.

Cheers

Call it a challenge sir Actually it was more of a random musing.
Well, I was watching BSG , which always gets me thinking about the dark side of humanity and also has such haunting music that really sets the tone. So I turned on the radio and Killing Me Soflty with his song was on.... And I just thought Wow, I would love to see how Erik would do a story about a Bard gone bad.

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2009 :  00:37:13  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
(You mean GW wasn't enough? )

Nah, that's a great idea. I think there aren't enough evil bards out there.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2009 :  00:49:00  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There were a couple of evil bards in the old lore:-

Valmiki, 1st, Female Human, NE, Lives in Daggerford. Trying to break into fame, The North: Daggerford

Myrna Cassalanter, 8th, Female Human, NE, Member of the Cassalanter family of Waterdeep, DRAGON #259

Mefisto, 9th, Male Tiefling, CE, The town crier in the town of Zelatar in the Abyss, For Duty & Deity

Alamos, 12th, Female Human, NE, Playwright on Karsus's Enclave, Netheril: The Winds of Netheril

Degliangeli, 12th, Female Human, NE, Well versed in the history of Netheril. Could be found in the Library of Netheril on Karsus's Enclave, Netheril: The Winds of Netheril

Edited by - The Sage on 15 Feb 2009 00:49:36
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2009 :  00:51:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, and one of my favourites...

The "evil" composer mentioned in Richard Lee Byers contribution to the Halls of Stormweather anthology -- 'Song of Chaos.' It was that composer's crafted music that originally led to all the reality-altering perceptions of the guests at the concert.

In fact, that musical composition of the evil composer's works in 'Song of Chaos' perfectly demonstrates what perversely-inspired music can do to both people and their surroundings -- especially when the music itself is infused with sinister magic. It was kinda neat.

Edited by - The Sage on 15 Feb 2009 00:53:21
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2009 :  01:36:26  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

(You mean GW wasn't enough? )

Nah, that's a great idea. I think there aren't enough evil bards out there.

Cheers

As my girl Shirley sang it "the world is not enough", so no GW is not enough
Truthfully, I know he was the Lord Singer , but I just remember him as a right bastard.
And Although we saw him use his gift, I was thinking more along the lines of a bard who use his voice to torture and eventually kill

P.S. Did you see Dave Grohl drumming for Paul McCartney on the Grammys? That was musical awsomeness!

Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2009 :  05:54:01  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a small question about bladesingers if that's all right, sir. What PrC for 3E/3.5 best embodies the bladesinger that you picture? The version from Races of Faerun or from Complete Warrior?

Personally, I'm rather fond of the Complete Warrior version, as my favorite bladesinger that I've ever played (though my fey'ri bladesinger is close) was from 2nd edition and had several spells that the Races of Faerun version doesn't get.

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document

Edited by - Penknight on 19 Feb 2009 05:54:24
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2009 :  07:38:36  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Penknight

I have a small question about bladesingers if that's all right, sir. What PrC for 3E/3.5 best embodies the bladesinger that you picture? The version from Races of Faerun or from Complete Warrior?

Personally, I'm rather fond of the Complete Warrior version, as my favorite bladesinger that I've ever played (though my fey'ri bladesinger is close) was from 2nd edition and had several spells that the Races of Faerun version doesn't get.

That's a rather difficult question, indeed! It all depends on one's own taste.

I myself have played three bladesingers in my day, in 2e (female half-elf fighter/mage with elven mail), 3e (male elf fighter/rogue/wizard Races of Faerun), and 3.5e (female elf bard/fighter Complete Warrior). Of these, the 3e bladesinger lasted the longest (and became the inspiration for a certain fictional sun elf in my work), though this was mostly because the 2e bladesinger got slaughtered in an ill-conceived effort to ambush some giant skeletons (nat-1 on the leaping attack roll) and the 3.5 bladesinger was only in one session of a non-continuing game. Of the three, however, she (the 3.5 bladesinger) kicked the most ass--she (unlike other bladesingers) would actually sing her way into combat and slide amongst her foes like a deadly dancer.

I've never been too fond of the bladesinger not getting light armor until 7th level in the PrC (which translates to like 12-13th character level), by which point it seems almost desultory. I think for straight mechanics, I still favor the old 2e bladesinger kit--it seems the most true to me, though I like the concept of the PrCs. I do really like the 3.5 PrC, though I recognize its limitations and I'm not too convinced.

Frankly, I think the best bladesingers are duskblades. But maybe that's just me.

The swordmage of 4e (if you're into it) has some potential . . . it's my favorite class thus far. I think if Yldar survived the Spellplague and the intervening years, he'd be a swordmage in the new era.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2009 :  09:35:38  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, thank you. I myself have played two bladesingers. A 2nd Edition male elf ftr10/Wiz11 bladesinger kit (which is the best, you're right), and I updated him to 3.5E as a Ftr4/Wiz2/AC5/Bladesinger5 from Complete Warrior. As a matter of fact, he was the inspiration for the fey'ri bladesinger build I came up with. He's only 4th level right now, but if things go well, he'll be a Ftr2/Sor4/Sps5/AC5/Bld5. I felt that using Abjurant Champion (AC) and Spellsword (Sps) kinda gave the old 2nd Edition kit feel back to the bladesinger.

I really appreciate your thoughts on this, and one day I'll have to try the duskblade version out. I realize that I rambled on there with my builds, and if you stuck with me through to this point, I really appreciate it. And as for 4E... I think I'll stick with 3.5 for now. Too many campaigns are still as of yet unfinished.

All of my best to you sir, and a million thanks for your thoughts and all the hard work you put into your tales. Every time I read TGT I find myself reaching for my dice and character sheet.

Hmm... I wonder if my fey'ri could hook up with Cythara for a little while... *ponders evil possibilities*

Telethian Phoenix

Edited by - Penknight on 19 Feb 2009 10:24:33
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2009 :  15:19:55  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Penknight

Ok, thank you. I myself have played two bladesingers. A 2nd Edition male elf ftr10/Wiz11 bladesinger kit (which is the best, you're right), and I updated him to 3.5E as a Ftr4/Wiz2/AC5/Bladesinger5 from Complete Warrior. As a matter of fact, he was the inspiration for the fey'ri bladesinger build I came up with. He's only 4th level right now, but if things go well, he'll be a Ftr2/Sor4/Sps5/AC5/Bld5. I felt that using Abjurant Champion (AC) and Spellsword (Sps) kinda gave the old 2nd Edition kit feel back to the bladesinger.

Cool--sounds like a good build.

And a fey'ri bladesinger, eh? He must be up on the really, really old styles . . . have you got a name for a style for him? I could help you design one, if you've the need and the interest.

quote:
I really appreciate your thoughts on this, and one day I'll have to try the duskblade version out.

I highly recommend it. Myself, I have been intrigued by the possibilities of a duskblade/warmage mix. The abilities don't necessarily build on each other (i.e., two separate spell progressions), but I think they compliment each other well--particularly channeling warmage spells through one's blade. 3 levels of duskblade to get the channeling ability, then mostly warmage could make you a pretty cool war-bladesinger, or a few levels of warmage tacked onto a duskblade to expand spell slots/repertoire.

quote:
I realize that I rambled on there with my builds, and if you stuck with me through to this point, I really appreciate it. And as for 4E... I think I'll stick with 3.5 for now. Too many campaigns are still as of yet unfinished.

Understand entirely--you gotta play what you want, when you want.

quote:
All of my best to you sir, and a million thanks for your thoughts and all the hard work you put into your tales. Every time I read TGT I find myself reaching for my dice and character sheet.

This right here is the best praise a FR story can get--nay, any fantasy story, or any work of literature: that it makes you think, dream, imagine. Thank you sir, and I'm glad the story works for you.

quote:
Hmm... I wonder if my fey'ri could hook up with Cythara for a little while... *ponders evil possibilities*

Not to sound like a fiendish pimp or anything . . . but it's quite possible. Is your fey'ri evil, or just skirting the line? If he's in line to be corrupted, then he might be Cythara's favorite kind of soul. She loves feigning innocence and pleading with a greater man to *save* her--it's worked well on her brother thus far.

Review Tom and my 3.5 writeup for Cythara and Yldar (I'm sure you've seen it already, but here's the link again). A partnership with his fellow bladesinger (Yldar) or perhaps a grand duel AGAINST Yldar (on behalf of a paramour your bladesinger's hoping to redeem, perhaps?).

Also, keep your eyes open in re: my future stuff. I've stated my intention to write about the sun siblings again, and they are both elves and could conceivably have weathered the spellplague and century between 3 and 4 . . . I guess we'll see.

Cheers

Mod edit: Added quotation marks to make the URL code work the way it was supposed to.

Erik Scott de Bie

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 20 Feb 2009 00:09:41
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2009 :  23:59:12  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd love to have a style for him, that would be great! I'm always a sucker for detail, myself.

To develop it, would you need anything from me, like a PM with his character plotting and feats? If so, just let me know and I'll type it up for you. Actually, I think I have a copy on the computer as we speak... it shouldn't be too hard to locate if you do indeed think it would be useful.

And trust me, I've got a copy of Cythara and Yldar printed out. I was the one that asked for you to stat them out, LOL.

I'll definitely keep an eye out for future stuff with them in it, thanks for the heads up!!

Telethian Phoenix
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2009 :  04:05:22  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do indeed think it would be useful. We would need weapon of choice, feats, and what you sort of envision his style to look like (lots of daring attacks, canny defense, playing it elusive and springing in when your foe least expects it, etc., etc.). Let me know what you envision as the big advantage (long lunges, excellent parry, quick to escape, throws, deception, etc.) and its primary weakness (because every style has one). Let me know any or all of those things you have visualized.

Also, when describing a D&D style is to consider your character's most important stats, as they affect his style. Feats are usually a good indicator. Here's my chart:

I was thinking something along these lines (and this is sort of how I translate D&D fighting styles from mechanics to the written page for the characters in my books as well):

STR = power attack/cleave/focus on heavy-hitting offense
DEX = weapon finesse/combat reflexes/dodge/focus on evading attacks
CON = toughness/endurance/focus on tough defense and parries
INT = combat expertise/combat casting/spellcraft/focus on spells
WIS = improved initiative/heightened senses/combat form feats/focus on battle awareness and intuition
CHA = improved feint/quickdraw/flick-of-the-wrist/combat cloak expert/focus on deception and flashiness

Obviously there's some overlap, and certain abilities play well together (like improved initiative and high dex, or combat casting and high con). But as I see it, these are the feats that reflect an emphasis on this stat or that.

Everyone's style has elements from most if not all of these, but generally speaking effective D&D warriors pick one or two areas and specialize. The bladesinger, of course, is expected to be a generalist in four of those areas (STR thru INT), which is pretty feat-demanding. But even so, there's a big difference between a strength-bladesinger and a dexterity-bladesinger, and still more against a wizard (int) bladesinger. I once built (but didn't use) a sorcerer bladesinger, which was pretty cool, actually.

So what's your guy?

Cheers

* Note that 4e is quite a bit more explicit about these stat-related style things (or at least it seems that way to me). Fighters aren't just strength- or dexterity-oriented anymore, but are best off selecting stats based on fighting style/weapon-choice. Just saying.

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2009 :  22:56:40  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just a note to let everyone know I've sent a PM and haven't been rude to Mr. de Bie.

Telethian Phoenix
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2009 :  04:44:21  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Far from rude, indeed. We're having a grand old time by PMs.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 53 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000