Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Erik Scott de Bie
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 64

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2008 :  02:21:18  Show Profile  Click to see Purple Dragon Knight's MSN Messenger address Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

I'm not always the biggest Coldplay fan, but I definitely enjoy that particular song. Well quoted.

As regards music with this particular novel, I have (like with GW) compiled kind of a playlist that I would often listen to while writing--the various songs just remind me of aspects of the characters and the sort of thoughts I was having as I made them. I'll get around to posting that one of these days (nearer the actual release).

Cheers

Damn! the link does not work! (youtube is giving me no love, saying "The video is no longer available"; man, that youtube was way better back in its pre-Spellplague days... )
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2008 :  02:24:57  Show Profile  Click to see Purple Dragon Knight's MSN Messenger address Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Yay, I guessed right!

Oh, and Happy Birthday. I saw Dark Knight too!

A "Happy Birthday!" from me as well. Saw the midnight showing of The Dark Knight; instantly a favorite for me!

--Hawkins

I'm going tonight at 10pm... can't wait. I read some flick/critics sites, and rumor has it that Heath Ledger may be nominated for an Oscar for his take on the Joker. "Every time he [Heath Ledger] is on screen, you can't take your eyes off him. He makes previous jokers (including Nicholson) literally look like clowns."
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2008 :  02:27:40  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

I'm probably the biggest Garbage fan (no pun intended!) on these boards... here, look at her and try not to fall in love... I dare you! she could teach Sharess a thing or two...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIdDUB84h7U

You're totally right. Vampire-ish robots are hot.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Signature of Shameless Self-Promotion +6: Order my sixth novel, Shadow of the Winter King (Amazon, e-signing, Dragonmoon Press)

Also check out my Realms work, most recently Shadowbane: Eye of Justice, out now on e-readers everywhere! (Kindle, Nook)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2008 :  03:51:55  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I'm probably the biggest Garbage fan (no pun intended!) on these boards... here, look at her and try not to fall in love... I dare you! she could teach Sharess a thing or two...

Cheers

Hehe... I'm glad to see other Garbage fans here at Candlekeep.

As it happens, Shirley Manson's stylings often come to mind when I'm considering the portrayal of the Sharessin in my Realms campaign.

As for vampire-ish robot-like constructs... any chance Downshadow will reveal one or two stored away in some forgotten cache of Undermountain, Erik?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2008 :  04:03:53  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gods, I'm old. I've been listening to Garbage for almost 12 years or longer. :) They broke out when I was in High School.... oy!

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

quote:

Cheers

As it happens, Shirley Manson's stylings often come to mind when I'm considering the portrayal of the Sharessin in my Realms campaign.

As for vampire-ish robot-like constructs... any chance Downshadow will reveal one or two stored away in some forgotten cache of Undermountain, Erik?

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

My Goodreads page: http://www.goodreads.com/kuje

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2008 :  04:28:05  Show Profile  Click to see Purple Dragon Knight's MSN Messenger address Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Same here Kuje, same here... still got the pink "G" album...

Garbage was the first band, IMO, to master the "sound wall" music type.

God bless them.

Long live Garbage!

quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Gods, I'm old. I've been listening to Garbage for almost 12 years or longer. :) They broke out when I was in High School.... oy!

quote:

quote:

quote:

Cheers

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2008 :  04:41:13  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Same here. :) I need to pick up one of their recent cd's though. I realized I'm missing one.

quote:

Garbage was the first band, IMO, to master the "sound wall" music type.

God bless them.

Long live Garbage!

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

My Goodreads page: http://www.goodreads.com/kuje

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2008 :  06:11:09  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Heh. I've actually got a signed copy from their first tour here. It's considered quite rare now, from what I've been told.

And Kuje, if it's their "Greatest Hits" compilation [from '07 as I recall], you may be able to save yourself a few dollars by purchasing the two new songs released through iTunes -- the other tracks are from previous CDs. That is unless, like me, you'd purchase the CD anyway because you're "that" type of fan.

BTW Erik, and to get slightly back on topic, I remember now that I never did post that playlist for Twilight that I promised last year. Do you mind if I include it on your blog?

Edited by - The Sage on 22 Jul 2008 06:13:17
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2008 :  09:31:56  Show Profile  Click to see Purple Dragon Knight's MSN Messenger address Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Heh. I've actually got a signed copy from their first tour here. It's considered quite rare now, from what I've been told.

Wow! you lucky, lucky man!

You must have followed them during the early 1994-1995 shows then... I remember discovering them then, back when I was in military college. Let's just say Garbage was a great release after a day of forced marching led by an overzealous cadet wing commander...
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2008 :  14:58:53  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To prevent further off-topicness, I'll take this discussion to PMs.

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2008 :  15:13:56  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
:Eyes going back and forth: What happened to my thread?

quote:

To prevent further off-topicness, I'll take this discussion to PMs.

Ah. Though seriously, feel free to talk about Garbage as much as you like--or any other bands that take your fancy. Music is important to my writing process, so it's all good. Recommendations are always appreciated.

quote:

BTW Erik, and to get slightly back on topic, I remember now that I never did post that playlist for Twilight that I promised last year. Do you mind if I include it on your blog?

Go for it, man--or post it somewhere here. Wherever. I'm easy.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Signature of Shameless Self-Promotion +6: Order my sixth novel, Shadow of the Winter King (Amazon, e-signing, Dragonmoon Press)

Also check out my Realms work, most recently Shadowbane: Eye of Justice, out now on e-readers everywhere! (Kindle, Nook)
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3532 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2008 :  18:04:34  Show Profile  Send The Red Walker a Yahoo! Message Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Go for it, man--or post it somewhere here. Wherever. I'm easy.

Cheers

I will just leave that one hanging there........it would be no fun knocking that one out of the park.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30431 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2008 :  19:13:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ah. Though seriously, feel free to talk about Garbage as much as you like--or any other bands that take your fancy. Music is important to my writing process, so it's all good. Recommendations are always appreciated.

My favorite bands are either Irish, Japanese, or play goofy, off-the-wall stuff. Do you really want those kinds of recommendations?

I don't know anyone whose musical taste even comes close to coinciding with mine... Heck, I don't even know all that many people that like some of my favorites!

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3532 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2008 :  19:31:44  Show Profile  Send The Red Walker a Yahoo! Message Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

My favorite bands are either Irish, Japanese, or play goofy, off-the-wall stuff. Do you really want those kinds of recommendations?

I don't know anyone whose musical taste even comes close to coinciding with mine... Heck, I don't even know all that many people that like some of my favorites!

Well if you like Irish, I put the Corrs in my top 5 favs.
Their version of When the Stars Go Blue, is brilliant.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QG4HApUXoQ

Though their tone would be hard pressed to fit into a de Bie Soundtrack!!

Edited by - The Red Walker on 22 Jul 2008 19:34:12
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2008 :  20:41:41  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I myself am mainly fond of such bands as Stone Sour, A Perfect Circle, and Disturbed. But I listen to a lot of other stuff from all different genres.

Easy.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30431 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2008 :  21:15:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:

quote:

Their version of When the Stars Go Blue, is brilliant.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QG4HApUXoQ

I do like the Corrs, and have all their albums (including both versions of Talk On Corners, and the Japanese release of Andrea Corr's album, which had an extra track). They're not quite a favorite, though. Maybe a second favorite.

Since Erik did ask, and says he does different genres... My personal faves, in no particular order:

Flogging Molly
Gaelic Storm
B'z
TM Revolution
The Presidents of the United States of America
Weird Al Yankovic

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3532 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2008 :  00:06:19  Show Profile  Send The Red Walker a Yahoo! Message Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:

quote:

I do like the Corrs, and have all their albums (including both versions of Talk On Corners, and the Japanese release of Andrea Corr's album, which had an extra track). They're not quite a favorite, though. Maybe a second favorite.

Since Erik did ask, and says he does different genres... My personal faves, in no particular order:

Flogging Molly
Gaelic Storm
B'z
TM Revolution
The Presidents of the United States of America
Weird Al Yankovic

Weird Al...oh yeah, I had White and Nerdy down for your soundtrack along time ago Wooly one!

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3532 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2008 :  00:09:07  Show Profile  Send The Red Walker a Yahoo! Message Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I myself am mainly fond of such bands as Stone Sour, A Perfect Circle, and Disturbed. But I listen to a lot of other stuff from all different genres.

Easy.

Cheers

A Perfect Circle is pretty darn good, but for Me always feel short of what Maynard did with Tool on Undertow. That album is easliy an all time fave and seems to fit your writing.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2008 :  01:53:29  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Heh. I won't even go into the kinds of classical music and experimental musical types that I like. They're actually quite diverse, and most people not already familiar with the genre usually won't have any idea what I'm talking about.

As for actual bands though... my tastes don't vary too much, usually focusing on the symphonic metal-stylings [with heavy classical influences] of one or two bands from Finland and the Netherlands.
quote:

Weird Al Yankovic
I actually remember deliberately purchasing two copies of the soundtrack for Transformers: The Movie just so I could have a spare copy of Weird Al's songs on the CD.

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2068 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2008 :  10:12:40  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=Cbdz8dxJu1s&feature=related

the oddest one I like, its a bit off the wall, the video is strange though.

hadnt heard any Irish bands of note, unless danny boy counts.

Id recommend Enya myself.

sO yes if i wanted to listen any irish bands Id want a recomendation.

oh and I heard this one on nat geo music the other nite
http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=74cUNONPiZs

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30431 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2008 :  15:21:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

hadnt heard any Irish bands of note, unless danny boy counts.

Id recommend Enya myself.

sO yes if i wanted to listen any irish bands Id want a recomendation.

Well, I've listened to a lot of music from three Irish or Irish/American groups. The Corrs is more of a pop group with Irish flavor, and some traditional stuff. Their first album (Forgiven, Not Forgotten) was their best, I think.

Gaelic Storm is also kind of a pop group, but with a lot more Irish flavor. They do more of the traditional Irish stuff, too, and at least a couple of the songs are entirely in Irish. Just about everything of theirs is fun and upbeat. Their new album (What's the Rumpus?) is pretty good, but I also really enjoyed the third, fourth, and fifth albums (Tree, Special Reserve, and How Are We Getting Home?).

Gaelic Storm got a huge boost their popularity by appearing in a little movie about a big sinking boat. They were the band in the steerage section, doing the fun Irish stuff when the male lead took the female lead to that part of the boat. (Note: I've only seen two parts of that movie, despite -- and because of -- its rampant popularity. I saw the bit I mentioned, and when the guy is painting the pic of the girl and she's nekkid.)

Flogging Molly is Irish punk -- but they're light enough on the punk that I, someone who doesn't do punk music, still finds them quite enjoyable. My fave albums by them are their first two (Swagger and Drunken Lullabies).

I also enjoyed seeing them in concert. The first opening band was just loud, and that was all that could be said for them. The next opening band, the Scotch Greens, does music that's kind of a mix between rockabilly and punk. And then there was Flogging Molly themselves... Another highlight of the show was the fact that right next to my girlfriend and I were two attractive college girls that couldn't stop groping each other and making out. Hey, I'm a guy!

... And though I found that quite entertaining, I did quite well: by her own admission, my girlfriend never saw me paying those two girls all that that much attention. Needless to say, I was indeed very much enjoying their sideshow.

Elaine once mentioned Enter the Haggis. I love that name, but the music just isn't fun for me. I've given the Dropkick Murphies a couple of tries, too. They are a popular group, but their music was also not really to my liking.

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2008 :  15:28:38  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the suggestions on the Irish Rock/Pop. I'm a Flogging Molly Fan, so y'know . . . .

Noted agreement on Tool, Sage--I like both APC and Tool, though I kinda prefer APC; I find their music smoother and more satisfying. Just a slight variation in taste, like--say--the difference between Glenlivet and Havana Club. Both equally enjoyable after their own fashions.

(Not that I'd have anything Cuban on American soil, mind! )

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2008 :  16:42:22  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LOL, who doesn't like Weird Al Yankovic?

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30431 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2008 :  17:45:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

LOL, who doesn't like Weird Al Yankovic?

Actually, a lot of people think he does nothing but parodies, and don't pay any attention to him. Me, I've got all of his actual albums (not the compilations, though), the DVD with all the videos, I watched the Weird Al show when it was on, and I've seen him in concert 3 times.

An odd parallel between Weird Al and Flogging Molly that I noted when I saw the latter in concert: both use accordians.

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2008 :  18:00:27  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

An odd parallel between Weird Al and Flogging Molly that I noted when I saw the latter in concert: both use accordians.

I wonder if I can have my next bard use an accordian. Hrm . . . .

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 64 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000