Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Erik Scott de Bie
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 53

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2008 :  04:06:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

And Battletech/Mechwarrior . . . that's the one with the big robots, right?

j/k. I know what Mechwarrior is, and I think we should avoid discussing it overmuch.

Cheers

Oh, after saying I hate the Jihad, I'm not going to go into it further. I've argued it enough times on another forum, and also with my best friend.

I did, however, important a FedSuns MechWarrior into the Realms (Sierkan Dahl, one of Waterdeep's Hidden Lords). And one of my Hooks focused on an awakened fox named Davios -- which was very much inspired by "the Fox" Hanse Davion (I even thought of naming him Hanse, but it was too obvious and not Realms-y enough).

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2008 :  04:51:45  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've enjoyed your short stories set in the realms, and I've enjoyed your novels, so I'll definately buy your new stuff as well. That said, my days of buying everything that has the FR-logo on it is over with 4th edition, so if you want more sales in my direction - just don't start sucking

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2008 :  04:53:52  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Erik,

Since all that I have read of your writing so far is "The Greater Treasure" from Realms of the Elves (which I did enjoy, thought I thought that the whole sex w/ a demon scene was a bit too graphic for my taste), and you were asking about whether or not we will buy your 4e Realms novel, I decided to pick up Ghostwalker and Depths of Madness on Amazon today. Then I will have a better basis on which to decide whether I will buy Downshadow or not.

Thanks,
Hawkins

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2008 :  05:38:31  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, and I still think that Downshadow is about a dog trainer.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2008 :  04:35:58  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

I've enjoyed your short stories set in the realms, and I've enjoyed your novels, so I'll definately buy your new stuff as well.
just don't start sucking

I'll do my best. Scout's Honor.

quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

Since all that I have read of your writing so far is "The Greater Treasure" from Realms of the Elves (which I did enjoy, thought I thought that the whole sex w/ a demon scene was a bit too graphic for my taste), and you were asking about whether or not we will buy your 4e Realms novel, I decided to pick up Ghostwalker and Depths of Madness on Amazon today. Then I will have a better basis on which to decide whether I will buy Downshadow or not.

More than fair enough.

I will say that Downshadow is much more like GW than DoM.

You thought the scene with Graz'zt was a little too graphic, eh? I'm curious--tell me more?

quote:

Heh--but *whose* dog?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2008 :  14:56:11  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Heh--but *whose* dog?

Cheers

Well a girl with a name light Twilight(and isn't she a shadowdancer as well???) could have a dog with a name like Shadow.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2008 :  04:51:07  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Heh--but *whose* dog?

Cheers

The Simbul's. Reason - Elminsteris quite a dawg, but in 4th edition he's but a shadow of his former self (and that way we get to keep Alassra around as well).

Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

lowtech
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2008 :  06:47:57  Show Profile  Visit lowtech's Homepage Send lowtech a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So. Here's the question.

(And this discussion applies somewhat to all FR novels that are coming out in the foreseeable future.)

Now I know some of you (Wooly, PDK, others) have some stringent and well-reasoned objections to the Realms of 4e. What I want to know is--that established and respected--how likely are you to read Downshadow, my next novel, which is set in the 4e Realms?

Personally, I think the book works regardless of lore or timeline. Though it's clearly a 4e FR novel and holds true to the 4e lore (at least what I knew/know of it at the time, and it highlights what I like best about it), it's a novel for all Realms-fans, whether they read the classic Realms novels or cut their teeth in 2e like I did, or they jumped on in 3e/3.5e, or they haven't so much as heard of these "Forgotten Realms" until 4e. Like Ghostwalker, it is very much a broad-appeal fantasy adventure rather than setting/edition-specific--as opposed to say, Depths of Madness, which was my most 3.5e mechanical novel. It doesn't make you cop to the 4e FR, either--just like you can read, say, Spellfire without conflicted loyalties regarding 1e.

So. Can you guys be persuaded to check it out even if you've set a firm anti-4e FR stance, or are we just going to be talking about my pre-4e stuff?

Cheers

I'm not going to read any novel set in the post-Spellplague Realms. It would be impossible for me to separate my feelings of frustrated anger and depression over what I personally regard as the effective death of my favorite "living world" from the objective quality of your story. This is not even about my boycotting WotC products (I plan to purchase all future pre-Spellplage material second-hand), I simply would not be able to enjoy any such novel; the negative associations are too strong and impossible (for me) to ignore. Also, at least half the appeal of any Realms novel was that each story advanced the meta-plot, greatly increasing my personal enjoyment of each story. Even if I can eventually get over my previously mentioned hang-up, post-spellplague novels would only be about half as enjoyable as their predescessors for that reason (please don't misunderstand, I enjoy your work in its own right, but your novel would now be in direct competition with all other novels rather than in competition with other Realms novels, which would often get priority attention from me for weeks at a time). In short, I am extremely unlikely to read any of your future Realms novels (I WOULD be interested in any non-Realms novels you may choose to write, keep us posted); its not due to any fault of your own, but for that very reason you would not be able to convince me to buy them.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2008 :  07:22:57  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fair enough, LT. I fully respect your choice and the choice of any others to read any of the 4e stuff or not.

I am indeed writing non-Realms stuff as well, though nothing is contracted at the moment. My blog will have those announcements.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2008 :  10:01:12  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
so can you divulge where it will take place?? or did you already

and what month?

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

lowtech
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2008 :  22:18:24  Show Profile  Visit lowtech's Homepage Send lowtech a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Fair enough, LT. I fully respect your choice and the choice of any others to read any of the 4e stuff or not.

I am indeed writing non-Realms stuff as well, though nothing is contracted at the moment. My blog will have those announcements.

Cheers

Cool. Speaking of your blog (I don't remember if you mentioned it on this site), congratulations on your happy day!
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2008 :  22:30:26  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

More than fair enough.

I will say that Downshadow is much more like GW than DoM.

You thought the scene with Graz'zt was a little too graphic, eh? I'm curious--tell me more?
I am a bit of a prude when it comes to sex in fiction and on film. I don't mind the fact that it happened being mentioned, but I do not want to read/watch it happen. Especially since I have a very graphic imagination when it comes to reading. That is why I love RAS's very detailed fight scenes, I actually see them blow-by-blow just behind my eyes. That is also why I was way more impressed with his adaptation of SW:AotC than with the film. He did a way better job of choreographing it.

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Fire Wraith
Acolyte

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2008 :  23:16:56  Show Profile  Visit Fire Wraith's Homepage Send Fire Wraith a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Now I know some of you (Wooly, PDK, others) have some stringent and well-reasoned objections to the Realms of 4e. What I want to know is--that established and respected--how likely are you to read Downshadow, my next novel, which is set in the 4e Realms?

I don't have much use for the 4th edition setting. That is as much from dispassionate disinterest as it is from any sort of rage over what's been done to the world. I'm not interested in roleplaying in that world, and a lot of the interest I had in ongoing storylines of FR is gone.

That being said, I'm not staging any outright boycott, per se. If a particular novel sounds interesting to me, or if it's by an author whose past work I have particularly liked, odds are I will pick it up. I am, after all, a pretty voracious reader. I did enjoy Ghostwalker, aside from the ending - but then, that was as much due to the fact that I cared about/connected with the characters a lot more than I normally would in a single novel. As far as Depths of Madness, well, I would have to say that book has stood out in my mind as one of the best standalone Realms novels I've read.

So, I'll certainly consider picking up Downshadow, and would probably pick up any original setting/non-FR books you publish.

And if Twilight is in it, you can bet I'll be pre-ordering it.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2008 :  20:58:32  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Qs and As:
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

so can you divulge where it will take place?? or did you already
and what month?

Waterdeep. Downshadow is an "area" of Waterdeep having something to do with Undermountain.

Can't specify as to the month/year, but it is indeed 4e FR.

quote:
Originally posted by lowtech

Speaking of your blog (I don't remember if you mentioned it on this site), congratulations on your happy day!

Thanks, LT! It was a blast.

quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

quote:

I am a bit of a prude when it comes to sex in fiction and on film. I don't mind the fact that it happened being mentioned, but I do not want to read/watch it happen. Especially since I have a very graphic imagination when it comes to reading.

Hmm. See, as I recall, there isn't any actual sex on the pages--just Cythara lying there naked on an altar, and it's *implied* that Graz'zt does his thing (and I think of all the demon lords, it's very much *his* thing). There's a bit in there about "knowing the ecstacy of darkness," but I suppose you can interpret that how you will.

If I produced such lurid images in your mind with my indirect description, Hawk, well . . . don't take this the wrong way, but thanks? It's a compliment to my writing even if that particular scene didn't work out for you!

quote:
Originally posted by Fire Wraith

I did enjoy Ghostwalker, aside from the ending - but then, that was as much due to the fact that I cared about/connected with the characters a lot more than I normally would in a single novel.

You didn't like the ending? Ye gasp! Ah well, to each his own.

I liked how it wrapped up the story so neatly, and in something of a mysterious/ambiguous way. Walker isn't necessarily dead--just vanished--and Arya's next adventure is to find him.

And it was the ending that--for better or worse--the story demanded. I wrote a happy ending in the first draft, and my editor and my now-wife both gave it the thumbs down. With a little soul-searching, I determined that the story just demanded the sort of ending I gave it.

quote:
As far as Depths of Madness, well, I would have to say that book has stood out in my mind as one of the best standalone Realms novels I've read.

Well thank you--I'm glad you enjoyed it! What was your favorite aspect?

quote:
So, I'll certainly consider picking up Downshadow, and would probably pick up any original setting/non-FR books you publish.

I've resolved just to write my best, whatever the setting demands from me. I shall do my best not to let you or anyone down.

quote:

Well, I can't comment on what characters may or may not be in the book. But it's fair to observe that Twilight would still be alive in the 4e Realms (having been born in 1297), and knowing her, she's not one to go down easily. It's entirely possible that she makes an appearance.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2008 :  21:29:14  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, I can't comment on what characters may or may not be in the book. But it's fair to observe that Twilight would still be alive in the 4e Realms (having been born in 1297), and knowing her, she's not one to go down easily. It's entirely possible that she makes an appearance.

Cheers

I think a few fine lads(and lasses) would agree, that while not easy it was entirely worth their effort!

And did you say its possible she makes an appearance, or was that probable?

All coyness aside, Wotc could do nothing better for the "4e" novels lines than to let you run amuck, in Waterdeep(what better place than that city and Undermountain) with what has to be one of the most intriguing and popular charsacters who could have survived the "Quantum Leap" forward with out concocting something that makes it possible, since all she has to do is stay alive! (granted that is hard in and of itself when you live the type of life she does).
But really that seems to me to be a way for them to try and get some love for the new realms.

Edited by - The Red Walker on 01 Aug 2008 21:30:05
Go to Top of Page

Fire Wraith
Acolyte

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2008 :  21:56:30  Show Profile  Visit Fire Wraith's Homepage Send Fire Wraith a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
You didn't like the ending? Ye gasp! Ah well, to each his own.

I liked how it wrapped up the story so neatly, and in something of a mysterious/ambiguous way. Walker isn't necessarily dead--just vanished--and Arya's next adventure is to find him.

And it was the ending that--for better or worse--the story demanded. I wrote a happy ending in the first draft, and my editor and my now-wife both gave it the thumbs down. With a little soul-searching, I determined that the story just demanded the sort of ending I gave it.

I should perhaps clarify - it was a well-written ending, and it did finish the story quite well. I just tend to prefer happy endings, or even ones that mix good and bad for the main character, to tragic, generally. I find tragic is best as an every now and then sort of thing, so that the good endings aren't taken for granted.

And, perhaps I didn't read enough into it - I did assume Walker as dead, and not coming back. I would certainly be interested in reading anything dealing with a continuation of those characters' storylines. If anything, this brings to mind one thing that I've noticed about many of these novels in the various series. Normally, I would expect all of these novels to be nothing more than standalone, one-shot deals, that tend to be relatively forgettable. This has not been the case, to my enjoyment. I've noticed several instances of characters whose story arcs have spanned multiple otherwise unrelated books, nevermind characters that were much higher than the generic 'pulp' I might have expected, both from you and others.

quote:
quote:
As far as Depths of Madness, well, I would have to say that book has stood out in my mind as one of the best standalone Realms novels I've read.

Well thank you--I'm glad you enjoyed it! What was your favorite aspect?

Probably the character of Twilight, and the way the story was presented partly from her perspective. I felt like it gave a greater sense of involvement, and I definitely identified with the character, almost as if it were my own character I was playing, if that makes any sense.
Overall though, there were a lot of things I really liked. The story felt character-driven, for the most part - the character vs environment conflict in the dungeon was used primarily to bring out aspects of them, and to stage the greater conflict between the characters. I definitely liked the way the characters were presented and introduced, bit by bit, throughout the book, as well. There were a number of mysterious aspects, not just to the characters, which kept me guessing about a few things even until the end. There was nothing in there that really felt out of place, either.

quote:
I've resolved just to write my best, whatever the setting demands from me. I shall do my best not to let you or anyone down.

We can ask no more of you than that.
quote:

quote:

I suspected as much. My comment holds for pretty much any further 'Tales of Twilight', whether set in the classic Realms, or in the 4e ones.
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary Jones
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
148 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2008 :  03:49:19  Show Profile  Visit Rosemary Jones's Homepage Send Rosemary Jones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Important question: what are you wearing to Pax 10?
:)

See you at there!

Rosemary Jones
www.rosemaryjones.com
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2008 :  16:56:36  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

I think a few fine lads(and lasses) would agree, that while not easy it was entirely worth their effort!

Heh. Wasn't going to go there, but hey.

quote:
And did you say its possible she makes an appearance, or was that probable?

*Possible.* Like I said, no comment on the characters or plots that are *actually in* the book. At least not yet.

quote:
Originally posted by Fire Wraith

And, perhaps I didn't read enough into it - I did assume Walker as dead, and not coming back. I would certainly be interested in reading anything dealing with a continuation of those characters' storylines.

Well, Arya's story isn't finished with the telling. It might become like a Mirt's story for me--one that I want to tell but haven't yet found the opportunity. If I do, I'll take great joy in telling it. If I don't, well, someday I might post some realmslore about what happened to her and her friends from GW.

quote:
Originally posted by Rosemary Jones

Important question: what are you wearing to Pax 10? :)

Knowing me, it'll probably be something black.

Cheers

Mod edit: there was an errant close-quote bit of coding making the post look weird and blue. I have removed it.

Author edit: thanks Wooly!

Erik Scott de Bie

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 04 Aug 2008 15:16:03
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2008 :  16:13:21  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, Erik.

These days, I talked with the manager of brazilian versions of FR books, and make a question about the novels, and the plans for the future.
(Yes, I was arguing about Ghostwalker! )

He said that there is a possibility (dificult to happen, but exist). We donīt have a good cronogram of "FR best sellers" (only the Icewind Dale trilogy, with the Dark Elf trilogy and the Time of the Troubles trilogy in the way), and so, to mantain a cronogram of best sellers and negotiate and release some good "stand alone" novels, like Ghostwalker or Dephts of Madness, will be dificult for them.

Well, I (and my axe of authorīs persuasion +8) can take care of the negotiation, no?
Anyway, I try.

Next step: try to agregate a good number of requests for a brazilian version of Ghostwalker!

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2008 :  21:32:11  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Neat story.

What would "Ghostwalker" be in Portuguese? (that's the language you'd use, eh?)

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 08 Aug 2008 21:32:47
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2008 :  22:25:53  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Andarilho Fantasma.

Ghost in portuguese is translated as "fantasma" (Phantom too), and Walker is translated as "Andarilho".

Heh! The funny about this is that Douglas (the man behind all D&D line in Brazil) opened a forum topic to discuss about D&D translations, an "open channell of communication" with the public... named House of Glass (fitting name, considering that all the time someone is throwing rocks at them ). Itīs a great initiative, because we have too little books in our language (rule books, novels, etc.), and they started to listen to our requests, rants, menaces, and all...

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto

Edited by - Chosen of Moradin on 08 Aug 2008 22:52:34
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2008 :  17:32:53  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finished Depths of Madness (decided to read the one with a character I was familiar with first) last night. Very well written, will have to put you on the list of authors that I will have to read whose 4e books I will have to read. I will be taking a break to read Worlds of Their Own, then I will read Ghostwalker.

* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2008 :  17:50:49  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Awesome, Mr. Hawkins. I'm glad you enjoyed.

I will look forward to striving to please your reading sensibilities in the future.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2008 :  15:06:45  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Did you have any luck shopping Whisper and/or Faceless?

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2008 :  15:33:49  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Actually, this calls for a little story:

Remember a while back when Elaine announced that she was scrubbing plans for Reclamation because it just wasn't going right?

A similar thing happened with Whisper and its planned sequel, Faceless. I found that Whisper, which I wrote and edited and even sent off to some agents, wasn't quite what I wanted. It suffered not from flaws, exactly (as I believe it was one of the best things I'd ever written up to that point, though Downshadow is better), but it just didn't quite work. And it's better not to do it than to do it wrong. (This is partly why I was so vocal in my support of Elaine's situation--because I was going through a similar realization myself.)

So Whisper (which is a story I've been trying to tell in one form or another since I was 13) has gone on the backburner to wait until I can re-envision and tell it again. I've actually determined when that may be, but it's as book 7 in a multi-trilogy fantasy series I'm writing right now (on book 1, though I have plans for the first two trilogies). First book . . . SWK is my working abbreviation.

I would be working on writing the last quarter (action, action, action all the time), but right now I'm polishing off a manuscript to send to agents/editors and . . . le sigh! A writer's work is never done (or abated).

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2008 :  20:48:46  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Actually, this calls for a little story:

Remember a while back when Elaine announced that she was scrubbing plans for Reclamation because it just wasn't going right?

A similar thing happened with Whisper and its planned sequel, Faceless. I found that Whisper, which I wrote and edited and even sent off to some agents, wasn't quite what I wanted. It suffered not from flaws, exactly (as I believe it was one of the best things I'd ever written up to that point, though Downshadow is better), but it just didn't quite work. And it's better not to do it than to do it wrong. (This is partly why I was so vocal in my support of Elaine's situation--because I was going through a similar realization myself.)

So Whisper (which is a story I've been trying to tell in one form or another since I was 13) has gone on the backburner to wait until I can re-envision and tell it again. I've actually determined when that may be, but it's as book 7 in a multi-trilogy fantasy series I'm writing right now (on book 1, though I have plans for the first two trilogies). First book . . . SWK is my working abbreviation.

I would be working on writing the last quarter (action, action, action all the time), but right now I'm polishing off a manuscript to send to agents/editors and . . . le sigh! A writer's work is never done (or abated).

Cheers

And which gem would you be polishing up eh?? Your so coy!

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2008 :  16:23:27  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm going to have to be coy with this one . . . but I will reveal it in time!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2008 :  16:35:12  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm going to have to be coy with this one . . . but I will reveal it in time!

Cheers

Wow another Realms novel after Downshadow?

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2008 :  21:21:33  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's quite some speculation . . . I will say that I am not currently contracted to write any other Realms novels. At least not yet.

The work I coyly refer to would be my own non-FR stuff.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2008 :  21:31:47  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That's quite some speculation . . . I will say that I am not currently contracted to write any other Realms novels. At least not yet.

The work I coyly refer to would be my own non-FR stuff.

Cheers

I see, sounds like it could be one of the six prequels to "whisper"

Good Luck!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 53 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: