Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Erik Scott de Bie
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 64

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2130 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2007 :  00:03:41  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just thought that I would let you know that I read The Greater Treasure in Realms of the Elves and enjoyed it. Will have to look into at least borrowing Depths of Madness from the library even if I do not buy it.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2007 :  21:45:25  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Erik, I hope you don't mind, but I have a theoretical questions that is based on a few suppositions, if you don't mind indulging (and I fully realize that as such its all theory and no "canon," so to speak). (Spoilers for the Savage Tide Adventure Path from Dungeon Magazine):

Assuming the most likely resolution of the Savage Tide, that being the destruction of Demogorgon and his displacement as the Prince of Demons, how would this affect Slip, and what would she do one way or the other?

Thanks in advance Erik.

"Because philosophy arises from awe, a philosopher is bound in his way to be a lover of myths and poetic fables. Poets and philosophers are alike in being big with wonder."--Saint Thomas Aquinas

http://knighterrantjr.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2007 :  23:49:06  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Hey Erik, I hope you don't mind, but I have a theoretical questions that is based on a few suppositions, if you don't mind indulging

Well, I am certainly not an expert, nor am I a designer, nor do I even know anything about the Savage Tide adventure path, but . . .

Theoretically, if Demogorgon were to buy the farm, kick the bucket, get offed, etc. for any reason, any of a number of things would happen to one of his priests--in particular, one of his favored souls, which Daltyrex is. (We're going to assume, for the sake of this discussion, that Demogorgon really *is* Daltyrex's divine patron, grants spells, etc.)

If your divine patron goes beyond beyond the veil, I imagine you lose all divine abilities granted by that patron. If this happens at a bad time, it's possible your prepared spells still function (because the god/dess gave you the power when you prayed); then again, they might not. Also, possibly the death of a deity might have consequences for a favored soul. Those are questions for a designer. Regardless, you wouldn't be able to pray for more spells thereafter from that patron (obviously).

Now as for Daltyrex's case. If/when Demo dies, Daltyrex loses her divine abilities, possibly leading to a disruption of her control of the Depths. Assuming she survives, escapes the Depths, gets out of the desert alive, etc., she might latch onto a new deity, who may or may not be able to replace her abilities. This hasn't happened to her before--in my conception, she was always a servant of Demogorgon, even if she didn't realize it--she never served Yondalla, then converted, etc. Logically, she would just serve Demo's replacement--s/he might very well make it a priority to recruit Demo's best servants--or she might not, because the replacement may want to get rid of all trace of Demogorgon (pull a Kiaranslee). Or someone else entirely might claim her soul the way Demogorgon has.

As for Daltyrex's actual fate, I couldn't say. WotC might indeed want to write that someday.

So that's my thinking on the subject. You are free, of course, to have anything you want happen in your own game--if this even applies to your game. :)

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Signature of Shameless Self-Promotion +6: Order my sixth novel, Shadow of the Winter King (Amazon, e-signing, Dragonmoon Press)

Also check out my Realms work, most recently Shadowbane: Eye of Justice, out now on e-readers everywhere! (Kindle, Nook)
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2007 :  00:12:47  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh, not to my game specifically, but when I got to thinking about the subject and its potential ramifications for the Realms, I thought of Slip right off the bat, so I thought I'd pick your brain on the theoretical subject.

Spoiler for the Tide, again:

While there is no "official" ending, James Jaccobs said his thought process would be something along the lines of, after the smoke clearing, and all of Orcus' and Graz'zt's and the other's troops leaving the field, Obox-ob might claim the title again. This might make for an interesting patron for Slip, but I don't know if the Lord of Vermin would be interested in her as a favored soul.

At any rate, thanks for the reply Erik. I appreciate it.

"Because philosophy arises from awe, a philosopher is bound in his way to be a lover of myths and poetic fables. Poets and philosophers are alike in being big with wonder."--Saint Thomas Aquinas

http://knighterrantjr.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2007 :  01:43:30  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, she is a kind of vermin, isn't she? I imagine that angle could get played up . . .

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Signature of Shameless Self-Promotion +6: Order my sixth novel, Shadow of the Winter King (Amazon, e-signing, Dragonmoon Press)

Also check out my Realms work, most recently Shadowbane: Eye of Justice, out now on e-readers everywhere! (Kindle, Nook)
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3524 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2007 :  12:21:40  Show Profile  Send The Red Walker a Yahoo! Message Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Erik,

I was in a Borders the other night and decided to flip through The Grand History of the Realms.

It was very cool to see Fox at Twilight's little blurb in there!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2007 :  14:57:41  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
See, I don't have a copy of this book yet, so I haven't read it myself! GAH!!!

Ok. I'm better.

It's a huge honor to be included in such a prestigious, pivotal, and even somewhat controversial work, and one that was born right here at the Keep!

I've also had the honor to meet Brian James in person (though not read his book! Bad Erik! Bad!) and his darling family--which tides me over until I can actually get a copy.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 31 Oct 2007 15:00:52
Go to Top of Page

Wanderer
Acolyte

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2007 :  03:28:51  Show Profile  Visit Wanderer's Homepage  Send Wanderer an AOL message Send Wanderer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gahh, alright, I'm sorry. It's in the mail, just mailed it today. Yes I know its been about a month since I said I'd send you it, but better late then never right? Oh, didja get that thing I sent ya? (email)
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2007 :  16:07:24  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
(For explanation, this rascal who calls himself "Wanderer" is my best friend, who's supposed to be mailing me a copy of GHotR.)

And yes, I did indeed get the email. Replying soon!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3524 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2007 :  16:35:20  Show Profile  Send The Red Walker a Yahoo! Message Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

(For explanation, this rascal who calls himself "Wanderer" is my best friend, who's supposed to be mailing me a copy of GHotR.)

And yes, I did indeed get the email. Replying soon!

Cheers

Friend ehhhh??

Sounds more like a wealthy patron I'd say

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2007 :  16:45:47  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:

Friend ehhhh??

The Realms equivalent of a sugar daddy.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3524 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2007 :  19:52:34  Show Profile  Send The Red Walker a Yahoo! Message Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:

Friend ehhhh??

The Realms equivalent of a sugar daddy.

Cheers

Well eventually you will have to earn that largesse

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2007 :  21:40:08  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not that this is particularly relevant, but for all those Fox-at-Twilight fans out there, I came up with a pic that's pretty spot on for my visualization of Twilight.

Interestingly enough, it's one of the first "fantasy women" pictures I saw as a kid, getting into then 2e AD&D. Strange how memory works out.

Anyway, check out my blog to read all about it:

http://eriksdb.livejournal.com/123929.html

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31689 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2007 :  22:54:03  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Neat. You broke into D&D through PLANESCAPE, Erik? No wonder you and I connect so well. And just as Elmore was DRAGONLANCE, Diterlizzi was PLANESCAPE. Great stuff!

As for the "Cat Lord," I can definitely feel the "Twilight-vibe" from it. 'Tis one of my favorite images from the Planescape Monstrous Compendium I.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 07 Dec 2007 22:55:53
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3524 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2007 :  00:19:21  Show Profile  Send The Red Walker a Yahoo! Message Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Not that this is particularly relevant, but for all those Fox-at-Twilight fans out there, I came up with a pic that's pretty spot on for my visualization of Twilight.

Interestingly enough, it's one of the first "fantasy women" pictures I saw as a kid, getting into then 2e AD&D. Strange how memory works out.

Cheers

If Amy Lee were an elf.....

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2007 :  02:31:18  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Cheers

Cool picture, thanks for sharing it with us!

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2007 :  17:18:41  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, just givin' love to those artists who deserve it! :)

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2008 :  00:47:42  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just an FYI, that Erik and I have posted stats for Twilight, Gargan, and Tlork in the General area of the forums.

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10646 and

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10647
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
536 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2008 :  03:46:42  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is there any chance of seeing Cythara or her brother statted out here on the boards in the near future?

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2008 :  04:04:46  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's always possible.

If these posts are well received, we just might.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Drunken Master
Seeker

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2008 :  18:43:47  Show Profile  Visit Drunken Master's Homepage Send Drunken Master a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Erik, you & Costa are awesome - thanks for posting all those stats!!! I look forward to tying them into my campaign somehow!

Erik Nowak
Graphic Designer, Blackdirge Publishing
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2008 :  18:53:49  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aw shucks.

Tom and I have been working on these for a while, and we had the basic stats some time ago, which allowed me to incorporate Twilight into a couple games I ran with my own tabletop group. Not as much about dealing with her personally (though there was one memorable duel that resulted in all the PCs knocked unconscious), but more about working through intrigues and adventures involving her past.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31689 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2008 :  00:05:57  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oooh! I would've loved to have been a participate at your gaming table Erik. Sounds like fun. And you revealed a little more about Twilight's past? Neat.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2008 :  00:27:47  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Oooh! I would've loved to have been a participate at your gaming table Erik.

And you would be most welcome!

Yet another reason to come to Indy, mayhap?

quote:
Sounds like fun. And you revealed a little more about Twilight's past? Neat.

I did indeed.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
536 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2008 :  12:00:29  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It's always possible.

If these posts are well received, we just might.

Cheers

Then I have to tell you, they were well received!

Also, I have a certain fey'ri PC/NPC that I would like to use her with in one of my campaigns (if Cythara would 'spend time' with a fey'ri, that is. )

Thanks for all that you've done thus far and still continue to do, and know that I look forward to seeing more!

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 64 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000